Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

lhH7LNtl.jpg

£4.99 from Age Concern last week - came with a really nice padded bag (which I'd have paid a fiver for on its own), a UV filter, and a remote shutter cable. I know it's 'only' a Praktica, but it made me happy!

Last edited:
Very nice buy, Kes. Does it work?

I haven't run a film through it yet, but everything seems to be moving freely. Even if there's a major fault with the body, I'm happy with the lens, bag and filters for that price :D

£10 got me a Pentax MX body off ebay that had a stuck shutter and the mirror stuck up. A bit of TLC and everything seems to be running fine. A Pentax SMC-M f2 50mm lens is on it's way for £7 from a charity shop on ebay.

Last week I got a Canon EOS 100 with Canon 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 USM lens for £10 from a charity shop.

Last edited:
Excellent Steve. The Pentax-M 1.7 is even better for not much money, and the 1.4 even better still, but quite a bit dearer. See the lens reviews on Pentax Forum...

Yeah maybe in the future but at the time I was looking for one for very little money. Which is my usual budget.

Today I picked up a Bencini Koroll 24 from a car boot sale and a copy of Amateur Photography by George Newnes Ltd from 1935 which looks like a first edition. The Koroll is a half frame camera and needs some TLC.

At the bootie was a Pentax MZ-S with the two kit zooms plus flash in a camera bag, but didn't know if this was a must have camera or was a good buy at £35...anyway I have a Nikon F90x.

It probably was, but I can't remember the last time I paid more than £25, probably the 80s. The Bencini Koroll was £2. It'll never get used though I only shoot 35mm.

I've never tried it but when seeing things at boot sales it would be handy to use your mobile and see what the prices are fetching on ebay.

At the bootie was a Pentax MZ-S with the two kit zooms plus flash in a camera bag, but didn't know if this was a must have camera or was a good buy at £35...anyway I have a Nikon F90x.
You missed out big time if it was working. A decent mz-s will go for the best part of£200 Very nice camera - includes exposure information printing between the exposed frames. A form of pseudo-exif!

You missed out big time if it was working. A decent mz-s will go for the best part of£200 Very nice camera - includes exposure information printing between the exposed frames. A form of pseudo-exif!

HuH! It's the Nikon fan club's fault as with hear about F100 and F5 and so on and other AF cameras don't get a look in :D why are Canon, Minolta and Pentax AF guys so quiet.

Last edited:
HuH! It's the Nikon fan club's fault as with hear about F100 and F5 and so on and other AF cameras don't get a look in :D why are Canon, Minolta and Pentax AF guys so quiet.
It's to prevent dilletantes from snapping up the bargains! ;D

I know on the Pentax forum I joined yesterday someone was saying how jealous he was because another member had two. I'd never heard of it, I was looking for MX info as my mirror still stays up when I have taken a photo.

I have and use a lot of Canon and Nikon AF cameras. I have the EOS 5, 10, RT, 100, 300x, 500N, 650 and 5000 and Nikon F50, F55, F75, F801 and F801s. The EOS 5 being my most recent and current favourite closely followed by the F801s because I can use the lenses from my non-film Nikon

Oh, I do have a Pentax MZ-30 body but it has a wind on fault. No Minolta AFs.... yet.

I have and use a lot of Canon and Nikon AF cameras. I have the EOS 5, 10, RT, 100, 300x, 500N, 650 and 5000 and Nikon F50, F55, F75, F801 and F801s. The EOS 5 being my most recent and current favourite closely followed by the F801s because I can use the lenses from my non-film Nikon

Well I do look out for the EOS3\EOS1n as it has been mentioned by Mark the mod but haven't a clue about Dynax models as they are not mentioned here much, if at all.

I've never used either of those but the EOS 5 was used by a lot of professionals and has eye controlled focussing and DOF preview. It only weighs 675g compared to the EOS 3 at 780g and the EOS 1n at 855g. The weights are from Wikipedia. It does feel light compared to some of my smaller cameras.

Last edited:
The Pentax MZ-S looked small and thought it looked like a plastic toy...but what do I know :eek:

I have managed to get this lot, but wont receve them till Tuesday. Any ideas whats in the box?

JqFlvib.jpg

I can see a Pentax ES, Brownie Reflex, A silver Canon, a black Canon, a Nikon F50, a Minolta, a Zenit and quite a few others.

Can you identify any?

Last edited:
I see two Canons, two Pentaxes, maybe a Nikon F50 and a Minolta SRT with a teleconverter.

Thanks. Is the SRT under the F50? And which is the 2nd Pentax?

Oh yes the pic looks small on my phone, thought the Zenit was an MV. Was paying more attention to trying to read the writing.

You should be able to zoom into the picture. I am hoping the 2 brown cases have something nice in them, as well as the blue box in the bottom right corner

Yes the Minolta is below on the left there is something else on the right too. The one beside the brown case, behind the Zenit resembles a Bencini Koroll I got the other day

It does look like one. Thank you, well spotted.

I can count 12 cameras, as well as at least 4 cases, which could be empty.

thats good detective work. I did not expect to identify the Canons as not much to go on. I had also assumed they were basic models (like the nikon) with lenses removed for resale on digital cameras

I think I can see the corner of another camera just above the nikon too

I have a 500N a 650 and an RT. The RT is based on the 620. The one on the left could be an Edixa I or II, I have one of those and it looks similar. You'll have to let us know what they are when they come. The brown case on the left doesn't look empty.

I agree, it looks like a Bencini Comet when zoomed in. Same lens as google and writing in the right place.

5dybFmql.jpg

Here we go

Canon Eos 500
Canon Eos 1000n
Zenit EM
Nikon F50
Baldixette
Minolta SR7 with 2x converter
Ilford Sportsman
Ilford Sportsman (again)
Bencini Comet
Edixa Pronto
Zenit 12 XP with Helios 75-150mm f3.8 lens
Ilford Sportsmaster
Brownie Reflex
Pentax ES with Meyer Optik 50mm f2.8
Model C box Brownie with box and instructions
Starblitz 2x converter MD fit
some old users guides for film etc
And a couple of Cine lenses.

And a Canon Power winder A

That's quite a haul, all you have to do now is work out which cameras work and stick some film through them,

Back