Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

Correction Half a Power Winder A - no battery cover

Well a kind member gave me an OM2 and it works ok except it's one stop out and no hot shoe, anyway at the bootie I haggled with a couple selling a jammed OM2 with hot shoe and 28mm Tokina lens for £5...but my luck has ran out as a little sliding arm (after taking bottom cover off) ain't sliding back after firing ...so the lens I don't really need but I got a working hot shoe for a fiver which is some compensation.
Also played with an unusual olympus compact as it had two lenses (35 and 70mm) and you press a button and the viewfinder changes, seemed to work and had a film in it (erm which I used up testing it :rolleyes: )..anyway she wouldn't take my offer of 50p and wanted a £1 so let that one go.
$_3.JPG

Been going round my local boot sales looking to profit for ebay.

Heres a list of my current bargins

Fujica Half:£2
Olympus xa2:£8
Praktica Bx20:£8
Praktica MTL3:£2
Praktica MTL3:£6(better condition than the £2 one)
OLYMPUS OM40 with a fujica st605n;£15 :) sold the olympus for £17 and the fujica for £25

It seems praktica and fujica were popular brands Olympus close behind never even seen a nikon yet

Holding onto my fujica st801 though what a great well made piece of kit can't remember what I bought it for as it was at last years car boots think it was under £15 anyway!

Last edited:
Just bought a 24mm lens for £2 h'mmm with N/F on the back, will need a Nikon F camera for £4 that would work with it......the oldest Nikon I have is a N2000 and there are not many Nikons that take F lenses.
attachment.php

Edit: Bit of luck as it seems to have been modified in that it stops down but no metering on the N2000.

Last edited:
Just bought a 24mm lens for £2 h'mmm with N/F on the back, will need a Nikon F camera for £4 that would work with it......the oldest Nikon I have is a N2000 and there are not many Nikons that take F lenses.
attachment.php

Edit: Bit of luck as it seems to have been modified in that it stops down but no metering on the N2000.

Well it looks like this lens is going to be a feature on the N2000 as I can't take it off :eek:...what's odd (dunno if it's just Nikons) is when I set the camera to "B" (or any speed) and with the back open the shutter curtain doesn't stay open or operate, so I can't get to anything that way. And the only way I'm going to find out if the shutter is working with the back closed is to develop the film.
Well if the film is OK (that would mean the shutter is working) and I'll leave the combo as it is...well unless the lens results are crap, then I will destroy the lens to get at the release mechanism...anyone have any ideas on how to get the lens off?
The F90x shutter doesn't work with the back open, but 3 cheers for the Canon T70 as it does

Last edited:
Well it looks like this lens is going to be a feature on the N2000 as I can't take it off :eek:...what's odd (dunno if it's just Nikons) is when I set the camera to "B" (or any speed) and with the back open the shutter curtain doesn't stay open or operate, so I can't get to anything that way. And the only way I'm going to find out if the shutter is working with the back closed is to develop the film.
Well if the film is OK (that would mean the shutter is working) and I'll leave the combo as it is...well unless the lens results are crap, then I will destroy the lens to get at the release mechanism...anyone have any ideas on how to get the lens off?

I'm sorry to state the obvious but please remember that Nikon lenses mount in the opposite direction to Canons and Olympuses. If you push the lens release button in, then turning the lens clockwise should undo it.

I have an F301 which is the same model as the N2000, given to me. Somehow by mis-mounting an E series lens I had a struggle to get the lens off and managed to damage the body. Whilst it is a good camera, the build quality is very fragile and there is a coiled tension spring which is held in large arc by the lens registration plate. I bought a rough looking 301 to swap that spring back in. It is an absolute horror show to refit it successfully which I eventually managed. Fortunately to remove the screws in that plate, you would have had to remove the lens first, so it's not likely you will need to undo it.

Pushing the lens release button retracts a 1mm wide pin by about 2mm to make it flush with the registration plate. The pin would locate in the clot milled in the lens to prevent it being twisted. Assuming that the pin still retracts when the button is pushed, I can't see anything else that could prevent you detaching the lens.

Best of luck!

Well Nick pushing the pin in and turning clockwise doesn't work :eek:..the lens has to come off as I have now found the mirror will only return( well most times) when the camera is horizontal....so with the mirror not returning at times then probably all my test shots are ruined with a light leak.
The N2000 was working OK last time I used it and what I don't know is if the F lens has ruined the camera or the camera decided to call it a day...so will have to decide what is worth more before using a hacksaw, hammer and chisel and am thinking the lens..h'mm but if the lens is crap it would be the wrong decision. :(

I wish you luck with whatever you do. It is the only camera that I have which I won't carry around without it being in a half-case - it's that fragile in my opinion. It is a capable camera but it needs gentle treatment and wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes as a photo-journalist's camera. I've got 2 working models and a third one which would just about work but is mainly for spares. If you end up knackering any part of your N2000 you are welcome to have a bit off my third one, although it's not really a camera designed with dismantling in mind. It might be worth a punt on any cheap e-bay item described a 'just won't work, don't know why' because it's odds-on that it's a bit of oxidation on the battery tray that stops it functioning.

Thanks I've only got one manual Nikon AI lens and don't think I'd be getting another Nikon camera..well maybe a FE if going for peanuts.
Anyway have taken the bottom plate and rubber moulding off and can't see past the casting to see the release pin..so will prise\break off the plastic moulding around the lens mount next and let's hope it's end of story.

You wouldn't like that lens. Better send it to me. I will even pay you twice what you paid!

Steve.

;)
Well I would have used it even though it was second best to a Nikon 24mm...h'mm the only manual camera ( have left after destroying the N2000 is my EM unless anyone has a FE (takes F lenses) for a tenner.

It should work on the EM shouldn't it?

Or is it a pre AI type with an AI tab on the body conflict?

Steve.

Pre AI and I don't want to ruin the EM as it was my father's.....the EM doesn't have a good name for reliability but this works perfect after about 25 years +

Amused at the bootie today when looking at a Ross ensign folder..open it up and the framework was there but no lens or bellows :rolleyes: can't think of what use it could be for anyone.......................................

Amused at the bootie today when looking at a Ross ensign folder..open it up and the framework was there but no lens or bellows :rolleyes: can't think of what use it could be for anyone.......................................

Home-made pinhole.

I've been after a dead folder for s short while.

He might be there again next week shall I ask him what he wants for it? But I know SFadams about folders so is there something else I should check?

He might be there again next week shall I ask him what he wants for it? But I know SFadams about folders so is there something else I should check?

If you don't mind, If the bellows and lens are missing then there isn't much else to it tbh. I think the only important thing for me would be the film transport er transports.

If you don't mind, If the bellows and lens are missing then there isn't much else to it tbh. I think the only important thing for me would be the film transport er transports.

No problem I'll look to see if it winds on and any spools inside, but it depends on the guy for a price as some sellers think anything old is worth lots of dosh..but I'm a expert haggler but say e.g. I got it for £2..well the time you add shipping that's £4.80, is it worth it? My thinking is 50p to £1 for a non working camera esp missing the important parts ;)
Anyway it all depends on the weather and if the seller returns.

I bought a SEM (appears to be French) Twin Lens Reflex for £6 a while ago. It has a grey corduroy cloth type covering.

No idea what it is worth but a roll of film through it produced some nice prints.

If only I could find the prints!

Minolta X 700 in absolutely brand new condition along with:

Minolta 50mm F1.7
Minolta 28mm F2.8
Minolta 35 - 70
Tokina 35-105

All in the same condition as the camera, Old leather case with it all in and all for nothing from a gentleman my carer also cares for.
He wanted it to go to someone he knew would appreciate it rather than just get sold for peanuts.

Minolta X 700 in absolutely brand new condition along with:

Minolta 50mm F1.7
Minolta 28mm F2.8
Minolta 35 - 70
Tokina 35-105

All in the same condition as the camera, Old leather case with it all in and all for nothing from a gentleman my carer also cares for.
He wanted it to go to someone he knew would appreciate it rather than just get sold for peanuts.

Wow, fantastic.

I'm sure I have a few in my junk box. What you looking for? If I have anything suitable you can have it.

Any old 120 folder I think will do. I'm going to fit a pin hole in the lens assembly cover so I really just need a working film transport to make things simple.

Any old 120 folder I think will do. I'm going to fit a pin hole in the lens assembly cover so I really just need a working film transport to make things simple.

re-folder......didn't see the guy at the bootie today, in fact there was nothing decent for any photography gear :(

re-folder......didn't see the guy at the bootie today, in fact there was nothing decent for any photography gear :(

No worries Brian, thanks anyway .

Had the weirdest encountered at the tiny boot near me. I popped in whilst walking the youngest, done a quick loop spotted two things I might be interested in. Asked about the first prove was a little optimistic so proposed for the change I has, a pound lower, seller declined. Fair enough thought I went to investigate the second item, it was rougher than o thought so passed. Now knowing I has a little more cash I went back for item one now willing pay the asking price. Only to be told her husband wouldn't sell it to me because I offered a lower price the first time. It was only something o thought might look good as dressing for a shot so no big deal but still. People are odd...

I gave my auntie, a compulsive car-booter who enjoys haggling, a list of brands to look out for. Haven't got it yet, but she's got me a Yashica GSN! Fingers crossed it's working, because it's one I've really been interested in getting for a while.

No worries Brian, thanks anyway .

Had the weirdest encountered at the tiny boot near me. I popped in whilst walking the youngest, done a quick loop spotted two things I might be interested in. Asked about the first prove was a little optimistic so proposed for the change I has, a pound lower, seller declined. Fair enough thought I went to investigate the second item, it was rougher than o thought so passed. Now knowing I has a little more cash I went back for item one now willing pay the asking price. Only to be told her husband wouldn't sell it to me because I offered a lower price the first time. It was only something o thought might look good as dressing for a shot so no big deal but still. People are odd...

Maybe it's the way you said it :D

I had a look in the junk box and they're mostly Kodak 620 format. There's two Kodaks in 120 but they're the type without a back door. I'll have a look for something more suitable in my 'iffy box' instead (that's the box of 'not quite junk'!).

4 rolls of Fuji Superia 800 for £15 at Amazon if you're in the market for a versatile colour film with good latitude, light grain and great colours but don't want to use your Portra 400 :)

ETA: read further and that's for 24-exp rolls, so maybe not quite as much of a bargain as I thought.

ETAA: works out at about 15p per exposure compared to 11.6p per exposure for 36-exposure rolls from maco so not really a bargain at all. I'll go back to sleep. :(

Last edited:
:snooze:

Got a Nikon FM from a charity shop today for £17.50. It was marked as £30 until I pointed out the fungus on the lens mount.

He sold me the body and gave me the lens to see if I could sort it. It even had the manual with it.

It seems to be a later version as I read the original had a knurled collar around the shutter button to enable selection of the first motor drive. These ones automatically detected it.

Just bought some Agfa Vista 200 from Poundland. They must be selling a lot as they've invested in some re-packaging.

Not so much a bargain, I'm guessing but just picked up a little Olympus Trip to go with my OM20. Cost me around £15.00, with an original Olympus flash too.

All looks in working condition and now it's had a good wipe down with a wet wipe, looks in pretty good condition. Just popped a Poundland film in to see how it behaves. :)

Back