Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

This one is similar to the other pentax upthread, but I picked up a pentax sp 500 and two super takumar lenses, 50mm 1.4 and 105mm 2.8
£35

this is my first foray into film and have developed one roll of triX 400 so far, trying ektar 100 now

Nice haul, good price too! Also welcome to the F&C zone.

I received another Minolta from eBay, an XG-1 this time. it was being sold as spares or repair because it wouldn't wind on. As the Minolta X series cameras need batteries to allow winding on I thought I'd risk a few quid and it cost me £4.79 plus postage.

When I unpacked it I found the issue wasn't just the batteries. The lever was rotating freely. It didn't look like the right lever for the camera. it didn't cover the parts below it

After checking the service manual here: http://www.minolta.suaudeau.eu/reparation/manuels/XG1 XG1n XG-AService Manual.pdf I found that it wasn't. I tested the wind on and shutter cocking using the screw for the Auto Winder G and a 5p coin. No problems there. So buy a replacement lever or buy an Auto Winder G? I guess there's no guarantee some other part isn't missing that'll mean buying the lever won't make a difference, so the winder is the sensible choice, but a lever would improve the look of it so it'll probably be both.

Last edited:
Received an Auto Winder G today, £4.33 plus postage off ebay. It works well with the XG-1, X-300, X-700 and also the Centon DF-300. I also recently bought a second Canon EOS 10 body and a Pentax P30T with Pentax-A 28-80mm zoom. The EOS body was £2.99 and included the barcode reader, barcode book and manual. I bought it to replace one I bought last year that developed sticky shutter after one film. So far I've shot two rolls with no problems.

The Pentax was £9.99 plus p&p and arrived during the freezing weather. The lens was fogged over, which partially hid some apparent damage to the coating. On viewing the lens from the rear the damage to the front element appears to be more like scratches than just a missing patch of coating. Luckily I bought a Ranger 28-80mm Macro Zoom with PK-A mount from a charity shop a few weeks back for £7.50. The camera itself works perfectly.

Last edited:
I dont go to the car boot much in winter, but today I decided to pop to a local one that has booters inside a building and outside on concrete so no messy fields.
A guy there had a colour enlarger up for sale in the box with two lenses and some other bits and bobs, he wanted £30.00 so said I have a look round and come back.
When I returned he opened the enlarger box and I offered him £20.00 for the lot which he accepted. What do you think for £20.00.

View attachment 29349 View attachment 29350

Good haul, that enlarger cost me £225 new back in 1992!

That's a good haul Tim, the Watson bulk loader is particularly sought after ;)

I have by my side an EOS 10 film camera that cost me £4.99 including a good 2CR5 battery from cash converters. I saw it last week and left it then decided I needed it in my life so I sent a friend down for it. It was their 2nd to top camera after the EOS 1 in its day.
I'm looking forward to trying the intervalometer function and I understand I can use infra red film with it too.
I also picked up an EOS 1000 with a speedlite Flash and a kit lens for £7.99.

I like the EOS 10 too, haven't used the intervalometer yet though.

Yesterday I bought a Canon FT QL with case, 50mm f1.8 FL and cased push on lens hood, a Canon FTb QL, 50mm f1.8 FD with Montreal Olympics lens cap and a Yashica Minister D for £10.97. All from the same charity shop.

Later that evening my brother came round with most of his film cameras. He'd decided he wasn't going to use them and I was more likely to. These were:
Nikon F801 body
Nikon EM with Centon 28-80mm
Konica C35
Fujica Auto-M
Fujica 35-EE
Voigtlander Vitoret DR
King Regulette
Yashica T*AF & Close up adapter
Greens Federal 200mm f4.5 M42
Paragon 135mm f2.8 with T2 Nikon F
M42-Nikon F Adapter with infinity compensation

Not a bad day, all in all.

Last edited:
This is the pick of the bunch IMHO Konica C35 (y)

Somebody has just given me four carrier bags full of camera! There are over 15 p&s from the 80s & 90s all of which have film inside!!! There's a hanimex micro flash 35 which is very cute and works well apart from the flash. About 10 other plastics that are empty (olympus, halina, praktica, canon etc).

6 110 plastics.

Best of all are Praktica PL nova I with a Meyer optic 2.8 50mm (working) a Zenit EM with a Helios 44M lens (working I think)

a Cosina CSL with 50mm 1.7 lens (working again I think).

A Zorki 4K (shutter won't release, film inside but not sure it's winding on).

A Kowa SE (aperture blades stuck and not sure how to remove lens)

A Praktica PL nova I (winding mech not working)

a Kodak Duaflex

Chinon 50mm 1.7 lens (pentax mount), boxed

Various flashes, light meters, magic cube flashes etc

Oh a few extra rolls of expired films.

Can you imagine the grin on my Face? [emoji2]

That's a great gift Jon. Do you do your own processing?
If not I know a little place.

bet I know what is wrong with the Zorki 4K... Someone will have changed the shutter speed before winding on to the next frame...

I'm going to do my own processing, just need to get the kit. There are about 20 films here of other people's photos so im going to use them to make all my mistakes. I fancy going straight for stand processing in r09 (cross processing as they are all expired c41 ) if they've all degraded too far then at least they won't have cost me 50 quid to find out .

The zorki was just me. There was a film in it (another one) that was at the end of the roll. I worked out how to rewind it , took it out, and the camera functions perfectly now. I guess I'd better get myself a notebook and keep track of each camera's quirks etc.

Oh, I've also just picked up a Kodak no 2 folding that looks to be in near mint condition. A Hanimex Duomatic rangefinder and a Hunter 35. Im having a whale of a time but it's driving my wife up the wall. I'm going to need a shed!

Every man needs a shed.

I have two sheds.... ;)

Well I've got an outhouse come coal shed and it's full of crap at the moment but there's electric and everything out there so if I give it a bit of a clear out I could make it into a den! [emoji3]

Carl Zeiss Werra 1, and a Kershaw Penguin Eight-20 folder.

A little disappointed with the Werra, as it looked and sounded good with it's barrel loading and Zeiss lens. However, although the shutter sounded ok, the shutter doesn't appear to open :( I paid a fiver for it.

The Kerhaw Eight-20 Penguin was in very good condition, with it's soft leather case, and a manual. It was obviously built as a cheap (and out dated) folder during the early 1950s. I paid a tenner for it.

16497534810_b3b2d8489a_z.jpg

Anita took it out for a spin with a roll of Foma Fomapan Creative 200 film. Surprisingly, the bellows look pretty good:

16477741107_b3420f168a_z.jpg

I got given a Kershaw Eight-20 last year. Had variable results with it - probably would have been better if I'd put 400 film instead of 125 through it, as I ended up with some underexposures (and also some overexposures due to the shutter sticking open if I didn't press the button sharply)

On the other hand, I did take this one, which is one of my favourite photos I've ever taken. Technically it's not great, but I love the atmosphere of it.

Shed, Rhydyfelin by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss Werra 1, and a Kershaw Penguin Eight-20 folder.

A little disappointed with the Werra, as it looked and sounded good with it's barrel loading and Zeiss lens. However, although the shutter sounded ok, the shutter doesn't appear to open :( I paid a fiver for it.

The Kerhaw Eight-20 Penguin was in very good condition, with it's soft leather case, and a manual. It was obviously built as a cheap (and out dated) folder during the early 1950s. I paid a tenner for it.

16497534810_b3b2d8489a_z.jpg

Anita took it out for a spin with a roll of Foma Fomapan Creative 200 film. Surprisingly, the bellows look pretty good:

16477741107_b3420f168a_z.jpg

Lovely colour nails you have there :D

Well folks I've nothing to report for months but the boot sales start towards the end of the month.....and am looking forward to picking up some bargains(y) gotta find a UK 5.5 inch headlamp for my motorbike first and a metal garden sieve..oh and some camera lenses to play with.

Last edited:
Hi I just picked up a Pentax Spotmatic from a charity shop for £20.
Expensive because it appears to be unused and in its original er case.
Nostalgic because this was the new rave camera when I managed a small photographic shop after leaving the Royal navy.
I forgot just how damn awkward they were to use.
Not put a film in it yet.

My first SLR was a Spotmatic 2, loved it!

Picked this up today for the great price of nowt nadda zilch gratis - not working, won't wind on, etc.

New batteries and taddaaaaaaaa... just needs a door seal I reckon and good to go. Looks like a nice little camera, although the lens doesn't inspire me much. Mitakon? Anyone know owt?

Picked this up today for the great price of nowt nadda zilch gratis - not working, won't wind on, etc.

New batteries and taddaaaaaaaa... just needs a door seal I reckon and good to go. Looks like a nice little camera, although the lens doesn't inspire me much. Mitakon? Anyone know owt?

Nowt is my favourite price! :D

I've got a Mitakon 28mm in Nikon fit and its pretty good. Not sure about this specific one but they seem to be an ok make.

Mitakon lens? Had a couple of zooms and wasn't impressed but you never really know until you test it. The Minolta MD 50mm F1.7 is very good, plus your camera will take a M42 adapter so you can use screw lens.... and not forgetting Tamron adaptall lenses as there are some very good zooms in that range. Also look out for a bargain Minolta 35-70mm fixed f3.5 macro...I got mine at the bootie for £5, just look at the prices on the bay.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps. I'll probably just whap a door seal on it - shoot a film for the fun of it - then pass it on to someone needy. I have way too many 35mm SLRs already (she says) :)

Made off like a villain with £20 of Agfa Vista 200 from the Poundland in Tooting Broadway. There's still about 25/30 rolls left, if anyone's in the area.

I got this Chinon CE-5 off ebay for £5.41. The lens is a Ricoh Rocinar 55mm f2.2 that I got for £2.99 from Cash Convertors. I currently use it with my Pentax P30T and Miranda MS-2 Super too but I have just bought an Auto-Chinon 50mm f1.9 from ebay for £3.12.

View attachment 34170

The three contacts above the lens were for the two Autofocus lenses that were available for this camera, which are now apparently, quite a rare beast.

View attachment 34171

I don't have them, but I found this photo on Google.

Last edited:
The Ce-5 is Pentax mount so that should be handy for some nice lenses if you want to get more involved in using it.

Finally got around to checking and photographing these two which I bought at a charity shop a week or two ago.

Weston Master III in superb condition, looks like it has never left its case, with instruction manual [and certainly under low light seems accurate, will test in day light tomorrow for high range]. The other is a Hanimex pr-55, a bit plasticy and cheap feeling and even with my specs on, struggle to set the ASA scale it is so tiny, but again, seems accurate in low light. They were marked up at £12 and £6, so offered £15 for the pair, on the basis that if they didn't work accurately they were cheap enough to look pretty in the display cabinet.

Charity Shop Light Meters by Yvonne White LBIPP - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

I bought a Hanimex Auto 135mm f2.8 today for £5 that at first glance appeared to be PK mount, but on closer inspection had an M42 to PK adapter attached. So it was a twofer!

Took a look at a rusty knackered Kodak Duaflex at the Friday Market. Seller wanted two quid so I dropped it back in the box. He then offered it for a quid. Thing was, the camera would just be more camera clutter and I was only interested in the empty 620 spindle. So I took out the spindle and gave him a quid for it. He could keep the camera.

Anita thinks I'm daft spending a quid on an old spindle. However, looking on Ebay, I see US dealers offering them out for £5 - £8 each, plus similar postage costs. Looking in it further, I had to grin when I saw one UK dealer trying to sell a pair of empty 120 spindles for £7.

Anyone in Edinburgh interested in a nice simple Pentax system, there's a Pentax ME with a 50mm f/1.7 lens, winder and flash in the Marie Curie charity shop in Morningside for £45...

Made off like a villain with £20 of Agfa Vista 200 from the Poundland in Tooting Broadway. There's still about 25/30 rolls left, if anyone's in the area.

is film at Poundland a regular occurance? what section do they put it? I've defected to B&M lately but no film there

Back