1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You should go to the bootie ;)..... I often look at the trips that don't need a battery but keep forgetting how to do the essential check for the red indicator in the viewfinder...I've been told so many times as well :rolleyes:

2. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The red flag is just for a low light warning. Stops the shutter firing in Auto.

excalibur2 likes this.
  3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    From what I can gather, the selenium meter shouldn't a actually break down in my lifetime what causes them to die is corrosion around the connectors or muck in the mechanisms.

4. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I wonder if the meter is affected much by the cold weather?

5. FishyFish

FishyFish

Name:
    Nige
    Edit My Images:
    No
    My original Trip (a metal shutter-button model) that my dad gave me has a faulty meter. I'd like to get it working again at some point - although I do have another working model (a later, plastic shutter-button version).

I think they still work ok without the meter as you can select the aperture via the dial and meter manually, but you're stuck with the 1/40s shutter speed by default.

6. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's here! It's exactly the same size as my fuji X30. Won't fit in the case for that as tripod mount is in the wrong place.

It's missing a lens cap. Will that matter?

[​IMG]IMG_0271 by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

steveo_mcg likes this.
  7. simon ess

simon ess

Edit My Images:
    No
  8. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Bit peeved about the £3.50 postage for a flat lens cap!

9. Asha

Asha

Edit My Images:
    No
    Probably a darned sight cheaper than driving or using public transport to collect it in person1

10. ABTog

ABTog

Name:
    Alistair
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'd not spotted this thread before, so here's my best charity shop find:
    A Pentax Spotmatic F which came with a 55mm f1.8 lens that has a dent in the filter rim, but it cost a grand total of £5. (Shown below with a 35m f2.8 lens I already had)

[​IMG]Shooting the view by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

I'm now after something like an Olympus Trip or Yashica Electro 35, a small rangefinder type camera. Having no luck with the charity shops near me though. Back to ebay.

Kevin Allan, RaglanSurf, Jao and 5 others like this.
  11. joxby

joxby

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I dunno what it is about charity shops, some of the send their donations to a central sorting dept, and from there its sorted demographically and sent back out to allotted stores.
    At the sorting dept, the "good" stuff is more likely to be spotted a chucked on ebay than to find its way back to an actual store.
    Soooo, it pays to know which shops sell their own donations..:)

12. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I've never bought any camera gear at a charity shop because either they didn't have any or a crappy overpriced lens. But it might be worth asking if they have any camera stuff, as a few years ago asked and the guy said "there are boxes of camera stuff in the backroom and I haven't had time to sort through them"...well I sorted through them and there were umpteen AF film cameras with no lenses :( Well at the time I wasn't interested in AF cameras but looking back there could have been a Canon EOS 1 or 3 among them.o_O

13. ABTog

ABTog

Name:
    Alistair
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It does seem that few people want the old film AF cameras. Even some camera shops aren't interested. I picked up a Canon EOS100QD from the bargain bin in London Camera Exchange (actual Strand branch in London) for £5, they had plenty in there. All it required was a battery. It's nice sometimes being able to shoot film without worrying about manual focus or manual exposure.

14. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Unfortunately the lenses are worth more than the camera body...if you pick up a AF body for peanuts (which I have done a Nikon), I had to pay £18 for a Nikkor zoom lens and had to wait a long time on the bay to get it this cheap. Then with old MF cameras most of them will work with an old cheap flash gun, h'mm Nikon flash gear ain't cheap :(

15. David_H

David_H

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Alright alright I'm giving in you 'orrible lot :)

It took me TWO days to read this thread from the start and now you are convincing me that I should be trawling my local charity shops in order to find a bargain SLR - I've got ten such shops in Clacton On Sea where I live and another lot up the road in Frinton On Sea. I've only recently bought my Nikon D70S gear to get me back into photography and I haven't got around to using that yet. And you lot are dragging me back into the film side :exit:.
    What on earth am I to do with you folks? This is definitely the thin end of the wedge :eek:

At least tomorrow I will have an excuse to trawl these shops as I have to go into town to purchase some more Xmas presents.
    Dear oh dear why did I join TP and read this thread? You lot have got a lot to answer for:p

Merry Christmas one and all.

David

PS. Mind you, if I don't find anything then maybe I won't join the "darkside" after all.

16. simon ess

simon ess

Edit My Images:
    No
    You will.

Resistance is futile.

:)

David_H likes this.
  17. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I wasn't going to buy another film camera at all. Seemed to have gained 3 and sold 2 digitals to fund the habit instead!

mothdust likes this.
  18. David_H

David_H

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you one of whatever............was it nine??? :)

medwaygreen likes this.
  19. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I hadn't got much interest in AF film SLRs (too similar to modern digi SLRs) but joining this forum has broadened my interests too, so much so that I've just dug my old EOS 3 out of the cupboard and fed it a film ready for the Christmas break! First film it's seen since 2002! Luckily everything appears to work as it should, it loaded the film automatically first go and correctly recognised the ISO and number of exposures. I'd better not try the power drive booster, as I don't fancy blasting through 36 exposures at 7 frames a second, particularly before it's got used to working again - the shock might be too much for it!

I'd forgotten how handy eye controlled AF was, I wish my modern digi SLR had that! Just taken a photo of the Christmas tree to test it and it sounded as sweet as ever, so that should keep me occupied over the Christmas hols. I feel a comparison test coming on between a modern digi SLR and the 18 year-old EOS 3 - a good way to try out the new tripod I've asked Father Christmas for... assuming he thinks I've been a good boy! :angelic: :whistle:

Andysnap, srichards and excalibur2 like this.
  20. winchman

winchman

Edit My Images:
    No
  21. winchman

winchman

Edit My Images:
    No
    I had a similar issue, daughter has collected 26 film cameras, she is now taking pictures with most of them!

22. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That's great.....another few million more film users in UK and around the world and the film companies will respond.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  23. joxby

joxby

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    No
    :rolleyes:

I suppose you have to define "cheap", you could go on teabay right now and get an Nikon SB speedlight for £10 - £15
    I dunno, you Canoners seem to make every thing Nikon the most complicated caveat littered thing ever...:ROFLMAO:
    There are lots of cheap non Nikon flashes that work fine on Nikon, especially film cameras, which are less sensitive to higher trigger voltages than DSLR's.

in fact....

*rummages in junk box*

24. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I don't want a mickey mouse Nikon flash but the SB28...have you got one for £10-£15 o_O......probably equals the best Canon TL300 for MF cameras from £4-£20

25. joxby

joxby

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't think you can compare obsolete m/f flash units that haven't worked on any new cameras for 15 years with ones that work on everything....ever.
    Maybe these flashes were comparable in price and performance when they were manufactured, I dunno but since then, one has become semi-useless and the other hasn't, that's gonna effect their re-sale values somewhat.
    If your Canon TL300 worked on anything, digital or film, doubtless it would cost more than £4-£20.......its exactly what you don't want......a Mickey Mouse flash...priced accordingly:D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  26. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wouldn't the ears cast an interesting shadow? ;)

mothdust, RaglanSurf and Asha like this.
  27. Asha

Asha

Edit My Images:
    No
    Brian, I doubt the SB28 will be any good for you.....

I'm fairly sure it doesn't have a 10 million wattage output :D:D

28. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  29. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well gotta have the best for my F90x ;)

Asha likes this.
  30. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    All you need to carry is 4-AA batteries, at the bootie, to check most flashguns going for peanuts at the bootie..... last year a guy had a F90 with a zoom, but as extras there was an APO zoom ( a known good one) and SB28, well he had already turned down one offer for the lot @ £25 and thought he would jump at my offer of £25 for the extras but the guy wanted to sell everything in one sale :(

31. David_H

David_H

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I did the rounds of my local charity shops before Christmas and turned up absolutely nothing. I then discovered that the British Heart Foundation appear to put any cameras they get on evilbay. I may well end up getting one from there - if I get one at all that is!!!!!!

32. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's worth getting one from a recognised film camera seller like Ffordes or Wycameras. You then know you'll get something that will actually work and if there is anything wrong with it at all it should say in the description.

medwaygreen likes this.
  33. David_H

David_H

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Taken your advice Suz. Ordered a Nikon F601QD today from Ffordes for the princely sum of £29 plus P&P. Hopefully the third party lenses I have got for my D70S will be compatible with it :)

srichards likes this.
  34. winchman

winchman

Edit My Images:
    No
    Just picked up a Pentax ME super for my Daughters collection.
    50mm lens
    40mm lens
    28mm lens
    40-80 zoom
    70-20 sigma lens but the surface coating looks damaged
    £10!
    Now is this better than an OM10? If so why?
    She currently uses an OM10

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  35. winchman

winchman

Edit My Images:
    No
    Just keep looking, our daughter started collecting film cameras, I pick them up at car boots and charity shops, she has 27 and it started her love of film, she is slowly trying each one out with film, when we can find it, currently struggling looking for some 110! A Freecycle request got her some 126 film she had been looking for for ages.
    Picked my son up from school, I was early so called at five charity shops in the same street, one had the Pentax bundle above.
    I have also seen a lot going to Ebay, but keep trying and asking around, its surprising how many people just want there old camera to find a good home

36. Deckard

Deckard

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    [​IMG]

Pentacon 135mm f2.8 pre-set aperture lens with 15 blade aperture in M42 mount. Given to me by one of our cleaners, can't argue with that for a "bargain". Stripped it down, cleaned and relubricated it. Lens hood has taken a knock in the past and need to dig out a lens cap from the collection somewhere but otherwise it's good to go.

stevelmx5, Andysnap and RaglanSurf like this.
  37. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think that's basically the same as the Meyer-Optik 135mm f/2.8 I got from a charity shop last year. Heavy, but I thought the results deserved the description "awesome" more than most! Though I find the preset operation awkward, and I'm not planning on keeping mine. OTOH I'm not being very smart in getting stuff ready to sell!

Deckard likes this.
  38. Deckard

Deckard

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yep, it's the same lens, just rebranded as Pentacon. Not quite sure what use I'll put it to, only M42 camera I have is a Zenit E, although I do have an adapter for my old Practica BX20.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  39. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  40. F1.2

F1.2

Name:
    Allen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Picked up a Nikon F90X with a AF NIKKOR 35-80 , MB 10 , STRAP and a MC30 remote , Very slight sings of use ,

would say mint - , Very happy with the deal :nikon::canon:and other makes :D