Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I picked up two rolls of boots aps film today for 20p. I'm not sure why, I don't have any aps cameras...

CRAB..can't resist a bargain...same here I have loads of Turtle wax car polish but bought more today ..two full bottles for £1. if I see a load of:- 35mm film or different caps, I just have to offer £1 and usually get them.... but I don't need them, and it goes on.

My sources of bargains seem to have dried up recently. My best buys lately have been a fujinon 55mm f1.8 and vivitar 24mm f2.8 in m42 thread for £40, though I had to drive to Nottingham for them and a set of extension tubes for the same m42 fitting for a "couple of quid" at Harrisons cameras.

My sources of bargains seem to have dried up recently. My best buys lately have been a fujinon 55mm f1.8 and vivitar 24mm f2.8 in m42 thread for £40, though I had to drive to Nottingham for them and a set of extension tubes for the same m42 fitting for a "couple of quid" at Harrisons cameras.

Well I posted somewhere that I couldn't see the difference between my Vivitar 24mm f2.8 and Nikon 24mm when stopped down at f5.6..but I didn't do any pixel peeping or shots inside churches and so on to see if there was a difference..but if it's a good copy you will pleased and could post comparison shots if anyone is interested, but it's only for scenery.

Last edited:
Another boot sale find , its a Canon EOS300 with a 35-80mm F4-5.6 ultrasonic lens , also come with the Canon EH8 L semi hard case and strap , All in MINT condition , looks new , Both CR123A batteries are flat , Tested with a multi meter , 2 New ones on order , Hopefully should work with the new batteries , Not bad for £5 including the user manual :D

Another boot sale find , its a Canon EOS300 with a 35-80mm F4-5.6 ultrasonic lens , also come with the Canon EH8 L semi hard case and strap , All in MINT condition , looks new , Both CR123A batteries are flat , Tested with a multi meter , 2 New ones on order , Hopefully should work with the new batteries , Not bad for £5 including the user manual :D

Just thought...my EOS winds the film fully on and winds it back as you take shots......well I quite often change the film to different cameras to give them all a work out. So the normal way is to make a note of shots taken for the next camera to continue...but the EOS is the reverse as I'll have to make sure I don't double expose shots I've already taken..s*d it, it's too complicated but it will take me ages to get thru' 24 shots as I don't fancy using the EOS all the time. :(

Last edited:
Nice! I've always liked those Midgets as they look very quirky. I just can't bring myself to spend £80-£100 on yet another camera that I can't use! I'd snap one up from a charity shop though, if it was a good price.

Well for me everything seems to be drying up at the bootie (well still compacts and ordinary tripods) and never found much at a charity shop...maybe people are using gumtree and the bay more or most people over the years have got rid of their film gear and there's not much left.

A fuji 35mm compact with a "panoramic" function, this had a film in which turned out to be part fogged and part blank.
An APS camera, one roll of unused APS film and 6 SanDisk SD cards from the charity shop. All for a tenner.
And today I have been given 2 praktica B lenses. A 28mm f2.8 and a 70-210 zoom lens.
Sadly I don't have a praktica B body to hand but never mind.

Booted four lenses for £10.

Solitel 135mm with changeable 44mm Miranda screw mount had a well jammed focus ring so that got binned. Cimko 28mm 2.8 m42 - not bad but not good either. Optomax 35mm 3.5 m42 (ditto).

Finally a nice little no-name 135mm 2.8 m42 was nice and sharp. Made In Korea suggests a Samyang parentage.

New batteries arrived today , Fitted and apprehensively switched it on and

It WORKS :banana::cool::D

Snagged a Mayer Optik Görlitz Orestor 135mm f/2.8 in M42 mount today. An absolute beauty with go-faster zebra stripes down the side and 15 aperture blades inside! Weighs over 500 gm with the hood, though. Very long focus helicoid, and the aperture ring is a long way the far side (like with rangefinders, only more so). Finished a roll of Vista 400 this afternoon. I'll have a look at these, and maybe write a review, but I suspect I'll be moving this one on; I don't have any M42 cameras, and don't really enjoy the focus-stopped-down experience on the mount adapter

Snagged a Mayer Optik Görlitz Orestor 135mm f/2.8 in M42 mount today. An absolute beauty with go-faster zebra stripes down the side and 15 aperture blades inside! Weighs over 500 gm with the hood, though. Very long focus helicoid, and the aperture ring is a long way the far side (like with rangefinders, only more so). Finished a roll of Vista 400 this afternoon. I'll have a look at these, and maybe write a review, but I suspect I'll be moving this one on; I don't have any M42 cameras, and don't really enjoy the focus-stopped-down experience on the mount adapter

......but you still have to manually stop down on a M42 camera i.e. no auto pin...... so you might as well use the mount adapter on your Pentax.

......but you still have to manually stop down on a M42 camera i.e. no auto pin...... so you might as well use the mount adapter on your Pentax.

I've discovered it is a "preset" lens, an idea that's new to me. If you meter and decide the aperture is, say, f/8, then you pull the ring just beyond the focusing ring outwards, and twist until the little red dot sits opposite the 8. Then turn the aperture ring to 2.8 to focus, once happy, twist the aperture ring back and it will stop at f/8, fire away. This is a neat idea that makes it much more usable, though it probably results in head-scratching later when your lens won't close down beyond f/8! (Until you pull that preset ring out, of course...)

One of those "once you know how" things ;)...I've have also the Meyer zebra 50mm and 200mm, the 50mm has the auto pin.

IMG_3493.jpg This weeks boot sale find are

Micro 110 MK11 , Boxed with instructions , £1

AGILUX RGI Flash never seen one of these before , made in Croydon England , Sort of art deco looks

And lastly a Minolta X300 with a Vivitar 28-70 F3.8- 4.5 Macro focusing Zoom lens , fitted with a Hoya 52mm skylight ( 1B ) filter , in a padded zip up shoulder bag , Seller was asking £20 I ended up paying £12 IMG_3488 (1).jpgIMG_3490.jpgIMG_3491.jpgIMG_3492.jpg

Camera is very clean and the metering works ,

Last edited:
Well at the bootie was a novice selling Nikon F801 plus Nikkor 35-70mm? AF etc but what I was interested in was the Sigma APO 70-210mm and SB 28 flashgun...but the guy wouldn't split :(........Talking about prices for the whole lot, and he was way out saying worth £100 and felt insulted someone offered £20 for everything :rolleyes: Anyway I bought a sealed pack of sixty 6 X 4 printing paper by Kodak for 10p somewhere else.

Bought an excellent condition m42 Palinar preset 135mm f2.8 lens, she said £5, and I said £1... and she said ok. So why did I buy this lens? well it has handy caps and about 16 blades iris so could be a bokeh monster esp for portraiture. Will test it out and compare with a Canon 135mm.
Reminds of the time when I bought Zenit camera plus Helios 44-2 and preset Prinz galaxy 135 f3.5 all for £1...well I was amazed how sharp the Prinz lens was even wide open, so you never know with these old lenses.

Well I compared the Palinar with a Vivitar 135 f2.8 (very good lens) and I couldn't see the difference.....so if you see one going for under a fiver it's a VG M42 preset lens.

NOTHING at 2 boot sales today :(

I see lots of tripods nearly all without the camera mount part = unless

One tripod I picked up was the slik 35d and quite like the detachable locking screw (the bit that goes into the camera body) in that I can screw it easily into the camera body then lock it onto the tripod, if you want to use several cameras it's very handy erm well if you can get the spare part ...dunno what the cons are as the idea AFAIK is not common.

It was Pentax day at the bootie...about 4 SLRs with lenses being grabbed by buyers and what I could see was an ES11 and spotmatic..£15-£20. He also had other cameras and wasn't sure if a Voightlander Vito C was collectable. But the daft thing is:- amongst the Weston meters, he had a Leningrad but he wanted £5 for it :eek: h'mm £2 is my maximum as I only have one camera without a meter, and have a couple of Westons and last year could have got a Lunasix for a fiver.

One of the boot sales i visit had its last sale on Sunday , until next year :(

Well I've slipped up again not buying gear for the bay.......a Leitz 35mm Prado with Hector lens for £10 (probably got it for £8) :(

I picked up these 2 last week and have put a roll of expired Kodak Colour Plus through the black one already. Not had the time to use the other one yet, but at those prices I just HAD to buy them.
Picked up from Jurby Junk on the Isle of Man.
IMG_20161103_153606.jpg

Just a heads up for anyone doing film shopping. Lomography shop seem to be doing a 3 for 2 until tomorrow (Friday). They also generally seem to have reasonable prices. Ilford XP2 and Delta 3200 are both £5 a roll in 35mm. They also list Tri-X at £4 a roll for 35mm (when in stock). They seem to also only have 36 exposures too. Postage is £5 and free for £75 and above.

I picked up an olympus trip 35 at the weekend for a £1 at the charity shop. It seems to work and is nice and clean so i had it. It had a roll of kodak gold in it too but this turned out to be empty. I'm hoping to test it over the holidays.

Back