Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I also have the Slik 88 prototype but it's not as versatile as the later slik 88 also known as U212. If you can pick one up cheap it seems to do everything a photographer would want and one guy even fittted a Gandolfi head. There is a use for rocky cameras o_O as once he had the quick release post for £4.99
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdl4o1LrsM
No, it's got to be the silver and lime green one for me! :D

.... it must have been reduced (for a quick sale) :)

Last edited:
I got up early this morning as the weather forecast had said clear skies and I was hoping for some autumnal mist. As usual the weather app was lying, and by the time I opened the front door it was overcast across the whole sky. There wasn't even any mist at the place I went to.

So, seeing as I was up, I went to the local boot sale instead. Nothing amazing, but I picked up a boxed Fujifilm compact for a quid. The camera has a roll of 200asa Kodak film in it, so I'm assuming Gold or Color plus, and the frame counter says 1, so it's either been loaded and never shot, or the counter has been reset at some point (maybe by someone opening the back). I spotted a lone roll of Fuji C200 in a box near the camera and the seller let me take that at no extra charge. I expected it to be long expired, but it's dated 07/20, so practically fresh!

20201011_141620.jpg

Last edited:
Just received, a purchase from flea-bay: Ensign Selfix 16-20. Looks in pretty good condition, I shall load a film tomorrow and post results in due course.
Selfix1.jpgSelfix2.jpgSelfix3.jpg

Just received, a purchase from flea-bay: Ensign Selfix 16-20. Looks in pretty good condition, I shall load a film tomorrow and post results in due course.
View attachment 296348View attachment 296349View attachment 296350
You can't beat an nice little 16/20 for bang for buck. Do try some shots at 1/300 second as I've found mine is a bit prone to camera shake at 1/100 and below, and the resulting soft images can be mistaken for focusing issues. Mine had me worried for a bit, until I realised it was me and not the camera!

Thanks for the tip @Mr Badger , I'll do just that.

Well about camera batteries, and thought this was a good price with free del..... some of my cameras don't like rechargeable ones:-

Not an out-and-out bargain, but Camera Centre is participating in the short term eBay 20% off promo, and they have Paterson dev kits with money off. I haven't checked out their film prices, but there are 3 pages of film stuff at the link.

Looking forward to going back to my roots with this film camera. Picked it up from a mate who was looking to sell it on.

Battery is coming tomorrow as its dead and I need to order some film but dang it's gone up since I last shot film circa 2002!

Now to remember how to use it again!

Attachments

• IMG_20201112_134210.jpg
    IMG_20201112_134210.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201112_134139.jpg
    IMG_20201112_134139.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20201112_134132.jpg
    IMG_20201112_134132.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201112_091110.jpg
    IMG_20201112_091110.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 29
Looking forward to going back to my roots with this film camera. Picked it up from a mate who was looking to sell it on.

Battery is coming tomorrow as its dead and I need to order some film but dang it's gone up since I last shot film circa 2002!

Now to remember how to use it again!
Looks very nice! Might be worth saying what film you are thinking of buying, then some of the F&C regulars might be able to suggest the cheapest reliable place to order it from. (y)

Looks very nice! Might be worth saying what film you are thinking of buying, then some of the F&C regulars might be able to suggest the cheapest reliable place to order it from. (y)

Thanks, if you zoom into the pic of the camera broken down into the individual components you'll see it wasn't that clean and shiny when it came here!

I don't mind colour or monochrome, just want to put a roll through it to make sure all is working before I pay for it so cheaper the better! When I know the camera is working and the AE finder is working as it should I'll be a bit more selective with the film choice!

Thanks, if you zoom into the pic of the camera broken down into the individual components you'll see it wasn't that clean and shiny when it came here!

I don't mind colour or monochrome, just want to put a roll through it to make sure all is working before I pay for it so cheaper the better! When I know the camera is working and the AE finder is working as it should I'll be a bit more selective with the film choice!
Ok, perhaps have a look at the prices at WEX for a couple of rolls of Ilford XP2 Super 400 black and white. It uses the standard C41 colour development process so should be cheaper and quicker to have developed at a lab. It's also got quite a good exposure latitude, so if the results look seriously under or over exposed with that then there's likely something wrong with the camera (or its operator)!

If you're looking for a lab to send it to (and haven't got somewhere good and local in mind) for processing and scanning, then perhaps check the prices (including P&P and any freepost labels to send it there) at AG Photolab https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ or Filmdev https://filmdev.co.uk/ . Quite a few of us F&C regulars use one, or both, of these labs on a regular basis, but Filmdev are only processing C41 'colour' film at the moment, not conventional black and white film. If either of those labs process your film then (without wishing to tempt fate!) you can more or less rule out any lab errors if the results aren't good. Hope this is useful, best of luck and don't forget to share your results with us.

Last edited:
Ok, perhaps have a look at the prices at WEX for a couple of rolls of Ilford XP2 Super 400 black and white. It uses the standard C41 colour development process so should be cheaper and quicker to have developed at a lab. It's also got quite a good exposure latitude, so if the results look seriously under or over exposed with that then there's likely something wrong with the camera (or its operator)!

If you're looking for a lab to send it to (and haven't got somewhere good and local in mind) for processing and scanning, then perhaps check the prices (including P&P and any freepost labels to send it there) at AG Photolab https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ or Filmdev https://filmdev.co.uk/ . Quite a few of us F&C regulars use one, or both, of these labs on a regular basis, but Filmdev are only processing C41 'colour' film at the moment, not conventional black and white film. If either of those labs process your film then (without wishing to tempt fate!) you can more or less rule out any lab errors if the results aren't good. Hope this is useful, best of luck and don't forget to share your results with us.

Thank you Mr B!
Yes I remember that film well! Did a 6 year stint in Jessops before it sold out to the Dixon way of business and was a proper camera shop!
I'll see how those labs compare to a local one to me. Mate of mine I worked with in Jessops set up a lab in Cardiff called Express Imaging and they still develop and print film as well as scan the negs.

Film ordered!

Wish the operator luck!

Thank you Mr B!
Yes I remember that film well! Did a 6 year stint in Jessops before it sold out to the Dixon way of business and was a proper camera shop!
I'll see how those labs compare to a local one to me. Mate of mine I worked with in Jessops set up a lab in Cardiff called Express Imaging and they still develop and print film as well as scan the negs.

Film ordered!

Wish the operator luck!
Best of luck Gareth. (y) If you've got a good, local lab that hasn't let you down then my opinion would be to continue to support them, particularly at the moment if they are still working. Even if they happened to be a bit more expensive (and don't forget postage costs each way if you're comparing prices!), then I don't think you can't beat building up a good relationship with a local lab or shop if they provide a service you're happy with, as you'll most likely really miss them if they close down.

Last edited:
It goes back about three months but it's what got me started back on film again. I bid on an online auction (local place so pickup would be easy) for a box of cameras. I could make out a few in the pictures and figured it was worth a go. For £30 including fees I got:

Kodak Brownie 44A - junk

Sunpak Gx17 - junk

Viceroy meter - needs a battery

Lemaire Fabt Paris Opera glasses - cute and quite clean

Canon Sureshot TELEMax - working and surprisingly good for what it is. Will sell.

Konica Pop in Yellow - solid little thing that I just sold for £80 after fees

Game boy advance with a couple of games - junk

Manfrotto monopod (an inexpensive model by the look of it) - might come in handy

Tripod - cheap thing

Minolta 7000 w/lens - does a nice job. Everything works but I'll likely sell it on

Vivitar 628AF flash - works fine. Will sell on with Minolta.

Minolta A5 - sadly it had too many mechanical issues so I gave it to a young lad who repairs stuff to use for parts

Hanimex 35AFX - not worth anything really

Hanimex M100 Super 8 - junk

Minolta Vectis 25 - I picked up some old APS film and running it through now

Kodak Instamatic - junk

Halina Vision - not worth anything

Olympus Trip S - not worth anything

So I am £50 ahead and can probably raise another few quid with sales.

I can put that cash towards the other things I've bought since ;);)

DEAL FINISHES TODAY (19th), but ebuyer are participating in the eBay 20% off scheme. This includes the Epson V600 scanner which will scan MF, and also Plustek 35mm scanners. Links below.

Kodak T max 100 120 x5 rolls £35 @ Amazon UK. "Temporarily out of stock" so worst that'll happen is the order gets cancelled. Note that you need to click on the other sellers option where it says "New (9) from £35.00" to select the one sold by Amazon. https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00009V3CY/

Not using 120 much at the moment but too good a price not to order a box. Particularly given announcements Kodak will be increasing prices.

Damn, more temptation and encouragement to spend monies that i don't have.
Are you in partnership with @StephenM by any chance ?:exit::LOL:
I thought it was safe to post as they don't seem to have too much to tempt you 10x8 and 5x7 types. Put the plastic away ....... ;)

Still, a few 10x8 and 5x7 lenses; add in the cheap 10x8 Asha found and anyone can join the club... It's just like 5x4 but (a bit) more so.

Nothing on it to tempt me, I'm afraid. :(

what about the 10x8 intrepid on ebay?

Worth a punt for £225 posted??.......Ordered new they're £580 iirc

Last edited:
lenses don't have to be expensive .....i have a small, light and reasonably cheap APO 300mm F/9 which , contrary to the specs, covers 10x8 ;)

Box of Foma and a borrowed film holder from me or Stephen and you're good to go(y)

what about the 10x8 intrepid on ebay?

Worth a punt for £225 posted??.......Ordered new they're £580 iirc
£200 is the starting price, but it doesn't finish until 1 Dec. 10x8 is way too big for me, and I've still got the old Kodak wholeplate with some film in the fridge.

Back