Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

Fuji 400h now out of stock....they must have been looking under shelves in the stock room for one of mine as out of two ordered ( same day but different times) one arrived tues and the other one today (Friday).

.they must have been looking under shelves in the stock room for one of mine
I hope not Brian, since it's the same expiry as the ones I bought from them 2 years ago for only £1 more. Mine has been refrigerated for that time, so the "new" rolls will be shot first in case they haven't been refrigerated during that time. :thinking:

Looking at prices on the bay to sell my AV1 and couldn't believe that some one paid £205 for one in a box (not new or unused) with kit lens...erm am I missing something or is it just one born every minute. o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Looking at prices on the bay to sell my AV1 and couldn't believe that some one paid £205 for one in a box (not new or unused) with kit lens...erm am I missing something or is it just one born every minute. o_O:rolleyes:

There was probably a mintish Canon A1 going for around half that price at the time too! There's no accounting for taste!

The listing does say "or best offer". When an item is won using 'make an offer' the displayed sold item price doesn't match the actual sale price. Just one of the ways that eBay manipulates the marketplace by making it appear as though the values are higher.

Nothing at the car boot this morning, local one rained off and the other semi covered one very little to see. Did find in a charity shop this 1985 Russian model Lomo LC-A boxed with Russian instruction manual and still got its repair vouchers. Could have done with them being in date as someone had forced back latch. I've replaced broken rivets with screws and a 3D printed external plate hidden under leatherette cover. New light seals and cleaned up the battery compartment, all seems to be working. Cost 'an unwell cephalopod'

IMG_20210509_200836~2_resize_99.jpg

I have to ask. What is the going rate for buying a sick octopus?

Nothing at the car boot this morning, local one rained off and the other semi covered one very little to see. Did find in a charity shop this 1985 Russian model Lomo LC-A boxed with Russian instruction manual and still got its repair vouchers. Could have done with them being in date as someone had forced back latch. I've replaced broken rivets with screws and a 3D printed external plate hidden under leatherette cover. New light seals and cleaned up the battery compartment, all seems to be working. Cost 'an unwell cephalopod'

View attachment 318065

We had one of those new - pics were OK for a camera of that origin.

View attachment 318065
Which car boots are open?
Thought they couldn't until 17th?

Camera gear (still old box brownies though) are rare now at the bootie, if any then dealers would buy it first thing when it starts....could be 6:30 am :eek:

Camera gear (still old box brownies though) are rare now at the bootie, if any then dealers would buy it first thing when it starts....could be 6:30 am :eek:
Sadly good stuff is rare, but you can still get to find gems. I brought a mint Komura 200mm/3.5 last week for £10, the rest of the items the guy had were all things I already had.
Cheap tripods with the QR plate missing seem quite common :D

Last edited:
@excalibur2
Hi Brian, is the Denham car boot sale up and running again?

@excalibur2
Hi Brian, is the Denham car boot sale up and running again?

99.9% sure it's open and the 0.1% is because I haven't been there this year on a Saturday....I go to the one at Swakelys and Ruislip on a sunday, just £1 after 9:00 but much smaller...Denham is expensive esp if you don'y buy anything.....I used to cycle fast past the marshall and although he used to shout out "hey" got in free :wave: well my excuse if caught "there is a public footpath running to one side and I was going to use it" :ROFLMAO::shifty:

Thanks Brian (y)

Brother-in-law arrives, "This was my grandads, you like cameras..."

IMG_20210531_101214480_HDR.jpg
Anyway the shutter does work but very s-l-o-w-l-y. The main issue is many pinholes in the bellows creases. However it does have a metal 116 take up spool. Might do a bit of research (ok internet) to see if it can be patched to be light tight and them maybe try a 120 film through it with suitable spool spacers.

Last edited:
Brother-in-law arrives, "This was my grandads, you like cameras..."

View attachment 320043
Anyway the shutter does work but very s-l-o-w-l-y. The main issue is many pinholes in the bellows creases. However it does have a metal 116 take up spool. Might do a bit of research (ok internet) to see if it can be patched to be light tight and them maybe try a 120 film through it with suitable spool spacers.

I used black liquid latex to patch a hole in my folding camera. It worked well and is still in place three-and-a-half years later.

I heard of bellows repairs similar to @FishyFish suggested so wouldn't expect issues with the light leaks. finding suitable film will be more of a challenge.
If shutter etc prove too much of a challenge you could always extract the lens & adapt it to a digital camera. I've done this for several cameras that were otherwise unrepairable.

Not sure how much of a bargain it is but Wex are selling Delta 100 36exp film for £6.60 a roll which is the cheapest I could find it online. You do get hit with £3 P&P though so best buy other stuff at the same time, I ought chemicals so all covered on the one P&P charge.

Not sure how much of a bargain it is but Wex are selling Delta 100 36exp film for £6.60 a roll which is the cheapest I could find it online. You do get hit with £3 P&P though so best buy other stuff at the same time, I ought chemicals so all covered on the one P&P charge.
It's a very decent find Gareth, even allowing for the postage. Free for over £50 spend, so maybe worth stocking up?

Surprised at the bootie today to see a guy with cameras and lenses, anyway spotted a Praktican LTL3 with 35mm f2.4 Flektogon and knocked him down from £50 to £25...that lens sells well on ebay (y).....everything works ok for camera and lens..h'mm another Praktica camera I'l probably never use but on 2nd thoughts it's more advanced e.g. (vertical shutter) than my Pentax Spotmatic or S3.

Surprised at the bootie today to see a guy with cameras and lenses, anyway spotted a Praktican LTL3 with 35mm f2.4 Flektogon and knocked him down from £50 to £25...that lens sells well on ebay (y).....everything works ok for camera and lens..h'mm another Praktica camera I'l probably never use but on 2nd thoughts it's more advanced e.g. (vertical shutter) than my Pentax Spotmatic or S3.
Glad to hear you're back haggling with the bootie brigade Brian, and looking forward to more bargains.

Total photographic bootie spend today £5. £3 on a La Sardina lomography camera (looks like a sardine tin) 22mm lens, f/8 , two focus options, 1/100s or bulb shuuer speeds, multiexposure option and can rewind frames mid roll to overlap. £2 on a large (14 inch) LED ringlight and a lighting stand for it, about equivalent of 400W of photofloods.

Can't wait fit the boot sales to start here

Well in my area photographic stuff dried up in the last few years, but plenty of other bargains for other things (e.g. for me, picked up a small carrier bag full of Rizla tobacco rolling papers for £3) ......I've been going to booties for over 30 years and there are two way of looking at it i.e. go first thing and be first to pick something OR go later and the seller realises he\she's stuff is not selling (usually over priced) and you can knock the price right down..all depends on LUCK, and it helps being the only one at the bootie interested in film gear. :cool:

Well in my area photographic stuff dried up in the last few years, but plenty of other bargains for other things (e.g. for me, picked up a small carrier bag full of Rizla tobacco rolling papers for £3) ......I've been going to booties for over 30 years and there are two way of looking at it i.e. go first thing and be first to pick something OR go later and the seller realises he\she's stuff is not selling (usually over priced) and you can knock the price right down..all depends on LUCK, and it helps being the only one at the bootie interested in film gear. :cool:

Should of been more clearer - can't wait for them to restart again as here they're still not on. I always do a fast walk through each row scanning for camera gear before going back to the start and then taking my time. A few years back I bought an Olympus OM1 for £3 as someone had out something through the shutter. Took the lens off, cleaned up the optics and ebay'd it for just shy of £300, it had a genuine Olympus 20mm on the front :)

So this yesterday... £5. Tried to fire up the Canon scanner last weekend and totally dead, found this locally for sale been up for weeks and cheeky offer accepted. Slow, but I don't scan that many images (2 or three a film - I'm not that good :rolleyes: ) so ideal for me.

IMG_20210703_084928.jpg

Putting this here cos technically, the camera did in fact come from a charity shop - in fact it was a bundle of 5 SLR bodies sold as on lot... I really wanted the Dynax 7

Bidding went well but I was *very* surprised at final price...

Already had the 7D and wanted the 7 to make a nice set :cool:

IMG_20210721_183039.jpg

Back