Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

It is to me too, it was just an example. I've bought four cameras for that in the past. My Nikon F3 only cost me £15.

Wow....and I wouldn't mind a F4 for that price o_O..I'm at the stage of overkill and find it a job to rotate usage to give all the cameras a workout and there are very few cameras left that I wouldn't mind having and the F4 being one as it not only does AF, but will take my pre AI lenses and IIRC has dioptre adjustment.
Maybe I should put the F4 in classifieds as wanted as I've never seen one at the bootie.

Yeah, I'm thinking of selling some of my cameras to pay for lenses. I have four Canon AE-1s, two FTbs and several other duplicates. I have 111 SLRs but I could thin the herd.

Saw a Kodak 620 folder in a local charity shop in Kenilworth for £5 today. It comes with an exposed roll of Kodak film, which I couldn't easily identify, didn't look like anything I've seen before. The camera looked in pretty good condition, with a leather case, and a 620 spool inside. Speeds up to 1/100 second IIRC. I couldn't work out how the viewfinder work, and I really don't like red window winding, so I gave it a miss. If anyone's interested, let me know...

Saw a Kodak 620 folder in a local charity shop in Kenilworth for £5 today. It comes with an exposed roll of Kodak film, which I couldn't easily identify, didn't look like anything I've seen before. The camera looked in pretty good condition, with a leather case, and a 620 spool inside. Speeds up to 1/100 second IIRC. I couldn't work out how the viewfinder work, and I really don't like red window winding, so I gave it a miss. If anyone's interested, let me know...
Go on Chris I’ll have it if it’s still there, I love found Film

Sorry I was out today and it'll be closed now. I might be able to get it tomorrow morning, but then I'm off to Edinburgh. See what we can do!

Sorry I was out today and it'll be closed now. I might be able to get it tomorrow morning, but then I'm off to Edinburgh. See what we can do!
No problem Chris don’t be rushing about on my account, there’s no rush for it and it’s not the end of the world if it’s gone.

My name is David and I'm a cameraholic. Could not resist this for a piece of blue plastic. Popped in two LR44 and some scrunched up aluminium foil to replace the banned Mercury cells in the camera and a couple of pen-cells in the flash. All working. Just needs a clean and new lightseals and a programmed exposure range finder returns. :olympus:

DSC_0692_00001.jpg

It is to me too, it was just an example. I've bought four cameras for that in the past. My Nikon F3 only cost me £15.
OMG I loved my F3 it was such a beautiful camera and a game changer for me at the time, I can remember saving for it back in the 80's cost me an arm and a leg, that lens (Nikkor 50mm f1.4) was as sharp as a knife.
I wish to hell I had never sold it, but mortgages and children arrived:( Then a big photography sabbatical:confused:
Good buy that Steve!

Some great cameras in this thread!!

I was idly searching ebay for a reasonably priced TLR, which then lead on to Yashica Electro RF's. Don't worry, a TLR can come later!

Very cool looking cameras for little cash I thought. Half decent lens to boot and an interesting control system.

Made a £20 offer on a faulty but mint condition Electro 35 GSN. It really was mint too, either cased all it's life, never used or recently refurbished.

It had a metering fault, it metered everything slow and left the shutter open infinitely in any mode.
Quickly traced the fault to a transistor in the metering circuit, but sadly the later models packaged this part of the circuit in a custom ic that is NLA.

I took a chance on a tatty GTN for £20, which the seller described the metering system as working.
It was indeed tatty, and knocked about - but the metering circuit was good. So I swapped the boards over and now have a nice GSN in fully functioning order, with the GTN good for parts if ever needed.

Once I knew it was going to be usable I set about adjusting the distance scale and rangefinder - all good now :)

Yashica Electro 35 GSN by Hallsy01, on Flickr

Maybe not the bargain of the century, but i'm very pleased with it. Lovely looking camera and nice to use.

Half way through a roll of HP5, can't wait to see the results!

Well done for fixing that Electro 35. I find that the fun and enjoyment of using a classic camera is usually remembered long after the price has been forgotten! :)

Well done for fixing that Electro 35. I find that the fun and enjoyment of using a classic camera is usually remembered long after the price has been forgotten! :)

I'm glad I got it fixed. I half expected it to be a POD related problem, even though the seller said it had already been checked.

I get as much pleasure from repairing and cleaning up things, as I do getting to use them.

I have just been given an old Kodak 620 folder that I am part way through freshening up - I love it!!

just bought a Zenit E + Helios 44-2 2/58 lens from a local charity shop fo £6, i didn't really give it more than a quick glance before i bought it, imagine my surprise when i got home and had a good look at it, the camera is absolutely mint, and i don't think i've ever found a legacy lens as clean as this, it's absolutely mint :)

Another £10 ebay find
Is far as I understand, this is simply a rebranded Cosina CT1 Super.
Mount is Pentax K which means there are lots of cheap lenses to try :D
It does have an uncoupled TTL meter, but otherwise is fully mechanical
Maximum shutter speed is 1/2000 which is mighty impressive for an entry level mechanical camera!
Size is similar to that of Sony A7 II, but the latter is significantly heavier

All speeds seem to work fine, focusing with a split screen is nice and easy.
Gonna put a roll of film through it over the week end and report back :D

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited:
the Miranda looking down on it in the 2nd photo looks like my Vivitar XV2 (think thats a rebranded Cosina as well? )

So I recently came in to the possession of the following

Practicka LLC
Pentagon 50mm 1.8
Sunpak Auto20 Flash
Vivitar 85-205
Gossen Color Finder
Vivitar Tele Convertor 3 x in case looks unused
Kodak Instamatic 104 still has part exposed film inside
Prinxgalaxy 400mm in case
4 x Kodak Gold 200 24 exp Unexposed
1 x Fujicolor HR200 36 exe Unexposed
1 x Kodacolor II 126 20 exp Unexposed
1 x Kodachrome 64 20 Exp Unexposed (I think)
1 x Kodacolor 400 24 exp Exposed (going to send it for developing)
1 x Kodacolor 64 20 exp Exposed (going to send it for developing)

All for FREE!!!

Trying to upload photos from my phone but its not working at the moment

Sounds like a good haul.

Great buy for a beginner at the bootie today:- MTL3 with 50mm Tessar, 35mm Flektogon and 135mm Sonnar all in a foam filled Ally case...I know the seller and he wanted £30 but reckon I could have got it for £25. I didn't buy because I have the lenses and a later model of the MTL3 series.

Must admit, a bargain missed - those Flektagon 35mm lenses are sought after for DSLR movie work. Just sold my very good condition one for £125!!!

Must admit, a bargain missed - those Flektagon 35mm lenses are sought after for DSLR movie work. Just sold my very good condition one for £125!!!

WOW...anyway the guy at the bootie hadn't sold the gear even in the following week so thought I check it all over properly.....the flek was ok but the 135mm Sonnar had the common fault (like the flek) of a sticking iris...easy to get to and usually starts working with a drop of lighter fluid and continual operation moving the iris lever....once working best to leave it stopped down, when not used, to stop it sticking again.

Yesterday at a car boot I bought an Akarette II with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50/3.5 lens, a Steiner Steinette and a Kershaw 110 for £5 each. The trader said he was given them by a professional photographer in his nineties who was now losing his sight.

The Akarette has a jammed shutter but the lens looks good and has a 10 blade aperture. I wonder if there is an adapter available for whatever the screw mount is. I've seen the lens for sale on eBay for £30-£50.

The other two are working fine, though the Steinette looks like it's missing a take up spool. I don't know how hard it would be to get hold of one.

I also bought a Kodak Brownie 6-20 folding camera which, apart from marks on the front and top edge from being taken out of its case, is in great condition. That was £15 at the flea market. It had its original instructions and I have 5 620 films that came with my Bronica. Luckily it has a spool in it.

Yesterday at a car boot I bought an Akarette II with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50/3.5 lens, a Steiner Steinette and a Kershaw 110 for £5 each. The trader said he was given them by a professional photographer in his nineties who was now losing his sight.

The Akarette has a jammed shutter but the lens looks good and has a 10 blade aperture. I wonder if there is an adapter available for whatever the screw mount is. I've seen the lens for sale on eBay for £30-£50.
The Akarette uses a proprietary lens mount - a bayonet mount with a locking ring. I doubt anyone is making an adapter as there are not so many of these lenses around.

As you can remove the lens from the Akarette and leave the shutter in the camera, I would be inclined to flood the shutter with naphtha (lighter fuel) and see if it will free itself. You have little to lose.

Good morning at the local flea market.

IMG_0013s.jpg

Illingworth 120 box camera in a fetching blue and a film in it at exposure 7 of 8 (will have to see what is on it). Another Mju II - with dead battery and a used 24 exp film in it - removed film in changing bag - will see what we find. Seals look OK, new battery and my test film loaded and rewound OK, flash worked and focus motor operated. Will load it with some B&W and see how it performs. £4 the lot !

Last edited:
Ok, tell all. Where is this local flea market of which you speak.:D

Ok, tell all. Where is this local flea market of which you speak.:D
Crewe Market, Wednesday, have to get there early all bargains gone by 9am. Oops now there will be competition. Is where I got my EOS3 for £5 and the EOS5 (with no battery grip) for £2 !!!

There are images (at least one) on the old VP film - leaving it small and blurry !!!

20171213-1513173167485s.jpg

Last edited:
Crewe Market, Wednesday, have to get there early all bargains gone by 9am. Oops now there will be competition. Is where I got my EOS3 for £5 and the EOS5 (with no battery grip) for £2 !!!

There are images (at least one) on the old VP film - leaving it small and blurry !!!

View attachment 116287

Ah, I've seen that when im taking Jan to the station, I can be there by 7.15 must give it a go next week. (y)

View attachment 116287
Oh i say, are those girls in the nip. :runaway::D

Well, you were warned David, that film was clearly marked as 'Exposed'! :D I wonder if the Olympus was from the same owner? If so, you might want to think carefully before sending the film from that off to the lab! :whistle:

Oops :confused:

Last edited:
Well, you were warned David, that film was clearly marked as 'Exposed'! :D I wonder if the Olympus was from the same owner? If so, you might want to think carefully before sending the film from that off to the lab! :whistle:

Different house clearance chap and anyway that one is going into the box to use to ripen my fresh C41 dev.

that film was clearly marked as 'Exposed'! :D
Double exposed or multiply exposed may have been better description . The two (very) young ladies are wearing 1960s bikinis, so in deference to @Andysnap 's vapours wont post that scan in any greater detail. Here is a link to a collection - the Illingham's box camera is in there .

Double exposed or multiply exposed may have been better description . The two (very) young ladies are wearing 1960s bikinis, so in deference to @Andysnap 's vapours wont post that scan in any greater detail. Here is a link to a collection - the Illingham's box camera is in there .
I have a roll of Tri-x pan that was in a Zeiss Ikon Donata 223/7. I was going to put it through my Rondinax but I only have Ars-Imago monobath at the moment and it says it's not recommended for T grain films. I was thinking about getting something compatible. When you developed yours did you make allowances for it's age or develop at box speed?

I have a roll of Tri-x pan that was in a Zeiss Ikon Donata 223/7. I was going to put it through my Rondinax but I only have Ars-Imago monobath at the moment and it says it's not recommended for T grain films. I was thinking about getting something compatible. When you developed yours did you make allowances for it's age or develop at box speed?

Normally old film that was exposed a long time ago I stand develop for an hour in 1+100 homebrew Parodinol (Rodinal equivalent ) @ 20C , 5 inversions and tap on bench to start and one inversion and tap at 30mins. Not much use if you have a Rodinax.

As I was pressed for time with this roll I based timing on the old times given for Verichrome Pan in D76 (but used ID11 as that is what I had to hand) and as I use a Jobo system reduced the time by 15% to allow for the continuous rotation. They came out OK. If you are going to invest in developer and fixer for general use then I'd go for ID11 and Ilford rapid fixer (I'm biased as I live in Cheshire where Ilford are based) you can then pick and choose many times from published sources for D76 or ID11.

Back