Home Grown - A Project by Carl

Very dry in south Cheshire too, a drop of rain last night but only enough to dampen the dust and put about 6 inches of water in the (empty) rainwater barrel. Today's sun and forecast high winds will undo any good that did! There we were last December swimming in the stuff, and now hardly a drop to be had. Talk about freeze or fry. :(

Looks like no rain up to 4th June in my area according to the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ub9
The same BBC Weather that, last night, said the 40+ MPH wind would hit south Cheshire from 2pm onwards... only for them to have changed that by 8.30am this morning to those winds starting from 10am!?

Nice work BBC weather, some people watching your weather app are trying to earn a living working outdoors and depend on such forecasts. If you don't know when something is going to happen then don't pretend you do! If things are uncertain then tell us the truth... eg "From dawn tomorrow morning onwards expect 40mph + winds at some time during the day". Or at least attach a predicted accuracy % indicator to the whole forecast, like you do for the chance of rain. Oh, and do keep that realistic if you wish to retain credibility.

Unless you are accurate with your hourly predictions, in my opinion, people will quite rightly lose faith and call 'fake weather forecast!" . If that level of predicted detail is repeatedly inaccurate, then it is going to be useless, isn't it?

Never mind, I suppose they could always ignore the above and just add the text 'For entertainment purposes only' to their forecasts? :whistle:

Last edited:
The same BBC Weather that, last night, said the 40+ MPH wind would hit south Cheshire from 2pm onwards... only for them to have changed that by 8.30am this morning to those winds starting from 10am!?

Nice work BBC weather, some people watching your weather app are trying to earn a living working outdoors and depend on such forecasts. If you don't know when something is going to happen the don't pretend you do! If things are uncertain then tell us the truth... eg "From dawn tomorrow morning onwards expect 40mph + winds at some time during the day". Or at least attach a predicted accuracy % indicator to the whole forecast, like you do for the chance of rain. Oh, and do keep that realistic if you wish to retain credibility.

Unless you are accurate with your hourly predictions, in my opinion, people will quite rightly lose faith and call 'fake weather forecast!" . If that level of predicted detail is repeatedly inaccurate, then it is going to be useless, isn't it?

Never mind, I suppose they could always ignore the above and just add the text 'For entertainment purposes only' to their forecasts? :whistle:

I also use this site and sometimes is spot on to the minute for the start of rain...erm well sometimes.

https://www.accuweather.com/

Just a point about the BBC link:- I do find it useful for wind direction (bonfires) and visibility and for interest to us for scenery, that is it quite rare to get "excellent" and "very good" is still a bit hazy for long distance part of your scene... and to me it does ruin many scenic shots. But guys here who have travelled in mountainous areas and all over the world will probably say "that's the way it is in areas around the world, in that some places are clear for miles and others not".

Now I don’t want to upset the delicate sensibilities of the f&c massive and I dare say Carl is too polite to point this out but if you look at the title of this thread it’s “Home Grown - A Project by Carl” it’s not “Let’s talk about any old stuff that I’ve grown in my garden or post a random horticultural thought that pops into your head - A project by no one in particular”

I think it might be respectful to return the thread back to its owner and if anyone feels the need start up a “gardening on film” thread that everyone can get involved with then that’s probably a good idea.

Now I don’t want to upset the delicate sensibilities of the f&c massive and I dare say Carl is too polite to point this out but if you look at the title of this thread it’s “Home Grown - A Project by Carl” it’s not “Let’s talk about any old stuff that I’ve grown in my garden or post a random horticultural thought that pops into your head - A project by no one in particular”

I think it might be respectful to return the thread back to its owner and if anyone feels the need start up a “gardening on film” thread that everyone can get involved with then that’s probably a good idea.

It's TF&C - the natural order of things is that entropy will result in all threads drifting off topic until they eventually get around to how @Andysnap got stranded on an island one time. :D

But, yeah, agree with the point you made. (y)

It's TF&C - the natural order of things is that entropy will result in all threads drifting off topic until they eventually get around to how @Andysnap got stranded on an island one time. :D

But, yeah, agree with the point you made. (y)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Though it’s a bit prescriptive; “post everything horticultural here” would mean Carl would have to abandon this thread to comply with your diktat ;) .maybe ” ... anything here”? :)
Good point, well made :D

o_O Carl is to have this thread only for himself and not share with the great unwashed? This would mean every gardener here starting his\her own thread. :rolleyes: ..and don't think admin\mods would like it, but it looks like they don't mind just the one (Carl's) so far.

o_O Carl is to have this thread only for himself and not share with the great unwashed? This would mean every gardener here starting his\her own thread. :rolleyes: ..and don't think admin\mods would like it, but it looks like they don't mind just the one (Carl's) so far.
Yes, if they want to. I think you can start as many threads as you want, I think starting a thread called “Grumpy southerners, photos and discussion” proves it.

Yes, if they want to. I think you can start as many threads as you want, I think starting a thread called “Grumpy southerners, photos and discussion” proves it.

Well yes but I meant all gardeners here starting their own thread only about gardening ;)..IMO it's best to keep it one thread as after all the site is talk photography.

Well yes but I meant all gardeners here starting their own thread only about gardening ;)..IMO it's best to keep it one thread as after all the site is talk photography.
People start their own threads all the time Brian but I think it’s highly unlikely there will be frenzied crop of horticultural themed threads sprouting up all over the forum.

People start their own threads all the time Brian but I think it’s highly unlikely there will be frenzied crop of horticultural themed threads sprouting up all over the forum.

There was no need as we have invaded Carl's thread ;)

Well pleased with the £3.99 heating strip.....but it's quite amusing as the strip isn't big enough for this tray and where the heat is more it shows.....by the tomatoes seeds shooting up over the strip.
View attachment 240869

Seeding time indoors folks..old picture above for tomatoes and didn't take a pic this year as only 3 have come up out of 40 sown, mind you they weren't fresh and will have a look in Poundland to see what they have.... my choice would be very sweet cherry tomato seeds but are at silly prices if you cannot insure everyone will germinate. Peppers next.

Seeding time indoors folks..old picture above for tomatoes and didn't take a pic this year as only 3 have come up out of 40 sown, mind you they weren't fresh and will have a look in Poundland to see what they have.... my choice would be very sweet cherry tomato seeds but are at silly prices if you cannot insure everyone will germinate. Peppers next.
Have you tried saving seeds from the cherry tomatoes you grew last year?
Shireen grew some last year with saved seeds and they were a great success, she’s going to do the same this year. She already has some peppers growing using the same method, it should be a bumper crop.

as only 3 have come up out of 40 sown, mind you they weren't fresh

You were unlucky as tomato seeds are generally very ‘indestructible’. You might find some seedlings coming up where you grew them last year, though they may be too late to be much use:(.

You were unlucky as tomato seeds are generally very ‘indestructible’. You might find some seedlings coming up where you grew them last year, though they may be too late to be much use:(.
You're right about indestructible, they even survive passing though the human digestive system. I remember there being a sewer leak over a piece of waste ground on a business park many years ago, come the following summer there were tomato plants growing all over the place there, presumably well fertilised! :puke:

You're right about indestructible, they even survive passing though the human digestive system. I remember there being a sewer leak over a piece of waste ground on a business park many years ago, come the following summer there were tomato plants growing all over the place there, presumably well fertilised! :puke:

I refrained from mentioning that :)

Have you tried saving seeds from the cherry tomatoes you grew last year?
Shireen grew some last year with saved seeds and they were a great success, she’s going to do the same this year. She already has some peppers growing using the same method, it should be a bumper crop.

Ah you are probably remembering that I might have mentioned those delicious sweet cherry tomatoes from the supermarket erm so tasty we kept eating them all and didn't get around to saving the seeds :rolleyes: Anyway tried Ailsa craig last year, nothing special for taste and had the usual dreaded blight in Autumn and lost many esp if grown outside.
With the peppers in the greenhouse and about Nov cut them down to see if they would re-grow this year but the stems are all brown and look dead :(
For those who haven't thought of it:- grow as many tomatoes or peppers as you like as you came freeze whole tomatoes and chop up the peppers also for the freezer.

One of the most annoying things about tomatoes (and runner beans) is that they are perennials an so we shouldnt have to plant them anew each year :(.

Disaster (cold nights?).....Put the seed tray next to a window thinking the hot plate would keep the air around the 3 surviving (out of forty) tomato seedlings warm...... and now down to one (farthest from the window). :mad:

Last edited:
To keep the mods happy that this should be a forum for photography:-
Last year's crops showing raspberries, tomatoes, rhubarb, pears, potatoes, grapes, peppers and an apple tree just in on the right hand side......well using a Konica camera at the time with 28mm lens and had nothing wider :( the picture to me looks boring and I'm going to blame Agfa Vista. o_O:confused:
JGuoaTG.jpg

To keep the mods happy that this should be a forum for photography:-
Last year's crops showing raspberries, tomatoes, rhubarb, pears, potatoes, grapes, peppers and an apple tree just in on the right hand side......well using a Konica camera at the time with 28mm lens and had nothing wider :( the picture to me looks boring and I'm going to blame Agfa Vista. o_O:confused:
JGuoaTG.jpg
It looks like a load of rhubarb to me Brian. ;)

Don't think I mentioned it on here last autumn, but this winter has been simply astonishing for sloes and making sloe gin. I'd never seen the bushes so heavily laden, it was almost like picking tiny grapes instead of slightly unusual berries. I've made about 6L this winter, and apart from the very first batch (picked a few weeks too early, afraid we'd miss the season) it's looking like it should be excellent.

In Tesco they have a range of cherry tomatoes and checking the reviews most are nothing special but one they do is Piccolo and is supposed to be sweet and tasty (still can't find what we bought last year maybe they are not in season yet, anyway can't remember the name).
Well I going to buy a box at £1.50 and scrape the seeds out and we can eat the rest (y)

In Tesco they have a range of cherry tomatoes and checking the reviews most are nothing special but one they do is Piccolo and is supposed to be sweet and tasty (still can't find what we bought last year maybe they are not in season yet, anyway can't remember the name).
Well I going to buy a box at £1.50 and scrape the seeds out and we can eat the rest (y)

In my experience supermarket varieties have woody centres and poor flavour. I think they’ve been bred for not dropping off the vine and for not ripening quickly :(.

In my experience supermarket varieties have woody centres and poor flavour. I think they’ve been bred for not dropping off the vine and for not ripening quickly :(.

Looking back at the posts (2019) and the lovely cherry tomatoes were Piccolo (Sainsburys)..whether Sainsburys or Tesco use the same supplier today who knows until I try them. And whether Piccolo taste different over the year because of how\where they are grown is another ?????

Looking back at the posts (2019) and the lovely cherry tomatoes were Piccolo (Sainsburys)..whether Sainsburys or Tesco use the same supplier today who knows until I try them. And whether Piccolo taste different over the year because of how\where they are grown is another ?????

To be fair, I hardly ever buy cherry tomatoes, I usually grow Gardeners Delight or similar which are maybe a bit bigger. Otherwise I use Italian seeds (you get a lot in a packet) and grow Costoluto Fiorentina or Cuore Di Bue.

Back