Homeless Holga: Formerly "Anyone fancy trying something daft ???"

so - who's got a recommendation for a lab that'll be able to cope with a slightly loose rolled spool of 120 on a dev only basis - postal service - and cheap if possible, as it's a holga, and there's every possibility that the roll will be blank again...or failing that - who's got some spare C41 or E6 soup on the go at the moment ??

You can't go wrong with The Darkroom in Cheltenham, £4.90 postage included both ways. Quick turn round and anything unusual just give them a call and have a chat. I sent them 50 year old Verichrome and they managed to get images from the roll.

I have some C41 free at the moment but I completely understand if you would rather use a proper lab

For cheap, AG photographic do a C41 dev only service now about £3 I think

That's an excellent price, have to give that a go.

Andy

Helga has arrived safely and will be treated with the utmost care and respect as would befit such a well traveled lady.....just need to rain to stop for a bit

Last edited:
so - who's got a recommendation for a lab that'll be able to cope with a slightly loose rolled spool of 120 on a dev only basis - postal service - and cheap if possible, as it's a holga, and there's every possibility that the roll will be blank again...or failing that - who's got some spare C41 or E6 soup on the go at the moment ??

Ack. I could have sent it off for prcocessing! I thought you would be home souping TBY :( I tend to use Genie for dev only.

Ack. I could have sent it off for prcocessing! I thought you would be home souping TBY :( I tend to use Genie for dev only.

It arrived this morning, haven't opened the envelope as yet - I'm gonna send it away I reckon - I just don't shoot enough anymore to make it worth buying fresh chemicals - old ones were completely shot, which was what munged the last roll. Once I decide where to send it, I'll open the envelope and pop it into a old 120 film case I've got kicking around somewhere (from a roll of IR film iirc) before forwarding it for dev'ing...

Well if you want to post it back to me I'll send it off with the other two films I've got sitting here ready to go ;)

I decided if I was going to have to trek off to the post office, I may as well just send it to Ag Photographic and get them to soup it for me - but cheers for the offer - anyway, it went this morning, i've been a little tied up for the last few days, but it's under way now.

Roll 4 has just arrived this morning from AG Photographic - images are available in the Photo's from Film section :)

£2.99 a roll, couple of drying marks, the dust's pretty much down to me and my scanning - couldn't find my blower and had run out of air-in-a-can, and bearing in mind, scanner's probably been sat derelict for 6 months or so, they could have been worse :LOL:

What an experience - :)

So glad to be part of it - thanks for the idea and travelling camera

I'll be posting the camera on to John early next week as my time with Helga is now over :crying:

I'd get a PM to John Mc for his address - and if you don't get a response within 2 days, send a message to Superewza instead - John's not been posting on here since mid April, and last logged in in May... :(

I'd get a PM to John Mc for his address - and if you don't get a response within 2 days, send a message to Superewza instead - John's not been posting on here since mid April, and last logged in in May... :(
Thanks Mark - I have sent a PM to John and if needs be I'll contact Superewza - I hadn't noticed his history.

I have to say that this thread when started by TBY was the most exciting to be a part of and the first two rolls went quite well, thereafter it all went down hill with huge delay's and some participants taking so long to take four shots that they could have fabricated a new Holga from beer can plastic rings.

It is now just to much to even look at and TBY sorry to you, we let you down as your idea was just brilliant at the start.(y)

to be honest i don't think anyone has let TBY down - the only really big delay was between me and andy and that was down to the crapness of royal mail. In actual fact this thread has done pretty well to get damn nearly to the end of the planned rotation without major problems (a lot of other travelling threads have gone tits up much earlier - and i wouldnt have been suprised if helga dad discintergrated to elemental parts by now)

to be honest i don't think anyone has let TBY down - the only really big delay was between me and andy and that was down to the crapness of royal mail. In actual fact this thread has done pretty well to get damn nearly to the end of the planned rotation without major problems (a lot of other travelling threads have gone tits up much earlier - and i wouldnt have been suprised if helga dad discintergrated to elemental parts by now)

BSM, I was not really referring to your Royal Mail debacle, although I had forgotten that, it was more the shooters that took so long with old film that even TBY could not coax out an image leaving him to have to apologise for other people.
Should you believe my friend that this little escapade of four+ films that has taken over 12 months is good then all I can say is well done to all of us.

Richard.(y)

PS Has it ended now?

Last edited:
Richard,

I have to agree here with BSM - the only REAL big unforseen delay was the RM's fault - I never expected people to turn around the camera in a couple of days, and when I started I dropped 5 films in there, fully expecting the camera to be reduced to a pile of plastic rubble by the second or third roll.

It's done amazingly well that it's still going - and frankly, to have only one person out of the whole crew who signed up, that's dropped off the map in the course of a year is again far better than I expected.

Oh - and the screw up with roll 3 of the film was my fault entirely - munged chemicals, and nothing to do with anyone shooting - the roll was completely clear - even the frame numbers on the negs were missing.

I think everyone's been wonderful in this project, and I'm really looking forward to the next roll - oh - and the added bonus of the "competition" where people claim the non-double exposure images, and we stick them up for voting - with the winner getting the camera to play with (or maybe even organice and send it on another journey... I'd love to send it over for Asha to have a play with it for example...)

TBY,

Living in the Liquorice fields has probably liquoified your mind, however as a good mod well done and we know what you mean.THUMBS

Honestly Richard - it's FILM, It's supposed to be slow...

it's all in the Antici.....

....pation :)

some participants taking so long to take four shots that they could have fabricated a new Holga from beer can plastic rings.

TBY - a bit of background info for you.

Helga arrived with me the day before our family holiday started - August being a notoriously and unavoidably popular time of year for holidays.

I decided not to take her with me - just in case something happened in transit - although I was tempted to take her with us to show her some new sights.

I took the safe option and I left her home. The first week back at work was absolutely mental playing catch up and I had no spare time at all.

Four days after returning home, my mother was taken (and remains) seriously ill needing daily visits and again Holga stayed in her box.

I could have just "snapped" four quick shots and sent her on her way but I didn't want to do that - I wanted to put some thought and effort into it.

In the spirit of the thread, I wanted to take what I considered to be some interesting images with Helga on her journey.

I'm sorry if I've had the camera "too long" in some people's eyes but then again life is never that simple or straightforward.

Last edited:

PM now sent to Superewza as no response from John Mc

Helga currently has FP4 loaded in her by the way Superewza.

Last edited:
She turned up at my door this morning. We'll see what happens when i manage to wrap my head around the thing :D

if you wrap her round your head she's going to disintergrate - you point the lensey type ting at the subject and press the shutter button, then wind on and do it again ;)

Shame I've only just decided to start posting - this looked like a great bit of fun. Hopefully I'll be around to join in on the next sort of thing like this :).

Of course, it would be that the day it arrives with me is the day it decides to start raining non stop. Perhaps it will snow next time i get a chance to shoot ;)

I will say that i do think rhody has wound on one more than they should have :p

It's cool - there's "the AWOL John Mc"'s frames left over, and there were a couple spare for me at the end, so take your shots and don't sweat it...

I don't know if you've seen the discussion in the pictures thread Mark, but there was another roll of Ektacolor 160 in the box when I sent it on as well as the FP4+ Guy loaded. I suggested that we could perhaps use that last roll for those who didn't get anything out of number 3?

I'm happy for it to do that, it's down to the people who lost their shots really - if they want to spring for another set of postage, then i'll get the film dev'ed... still smarting from ruining the last roll tbh...

Of course, it would be that the day it arrives with me is the day it decides to start raining non stop. Perhaps it will snow next time i get a chance to shoot ;)

Sorry if I wound on without thinking - I did take the last shot as a double exposure ready for you - but I must have wound it on as a reflex.

Really sorry for that schoolboy error!

Last edited:
I know I've posted this quite a few times but.....

:tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

It's just because I'm impatient :LOL:

I thought for one awful moment that we'd actually finished, and that I'd another roll of film to sort out!

Sorry to have got your hopes up :(

hahah this is brilliant....where is the camer now and when do we get to see the photos...

Is it too late to sign up?

hahah this is brilliant....where is the camer now and when do we get to see the photos...

Is it too late to sign up?

Look in this thread here for the photos, the first 4 rolls are on there (sadly the 3rd roll didn't come out so its not there):

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=341488

At the moment the list is full up although there is a reserves list in case anyone drops out etc, drop Mark (TheBigYin) a PM if you want to go on this list.

Back