Homemade 510 Pyro

• Thread starter Deleted member 95430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 95430

Zone Imaging sell this ready made here.

Ive looked at the chemicals and the Pyrogallol seems the most expensive but with napkin math in bulk the ingredients cost £7.50 per bottle . Obviously people need to be paid enough to make it worth while and production time but in bulk I cant imaging this goes over max £10 per bottle

I also dont want to buy massive amounts of chemicals ill mix every 4 years. Is anyone doing their own production or am I being too tight?

I do want to support the industry though

And what does the stain do and what are the cons of using a acid normal fixer and removing the stain? Harder to print? less control?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ive looked at the chemicals and the Pyrogallol seems the most expensive but with napkin math in bulk the ingredients cost £7.50 per bottle . Obviously people need to be paid enough to make it worth while and production time but in bulk I cant imaging this goes over max £10 per bottle

I also dont want to buy massive amounts of chemicals ill mix every 4 years. Is anyone doing their own production or am I being too tight?

This very subject has been discussed at length over on Photrio and other forums and seems to be very controversial. Bottom line is you make you own decisions.

Zone Imaging is one guy. James does all of the manufacturing/marketing/sales/developing himself.

I've seen a few discussions on Photrio with the regular arguments of, "I could do that cheaper myself" or "you didn't invent it" aimed at James. Both may be true (he's never denied that he didn't invent it), and there's nothing stopping anyone else setting up their own business manufacturing developer if they really wanted to.

Wow one man! didnt know that - I thought they have some fancy production line with a big mark up, great to know! Zone Imaging it is!

I've got some PyroCat I need to check on. Its a couple of years old but the shelf life is somewhat hotly debated. It is lovely and the staining really helps contain the highlights you can push the shadows up a bit as the dev will help.

I ended up having to make a batch of d-23 to test out a camera from a recent clear out, the one massive advantage of having some powdered chemicals hanging around.

And what does the stain do and what are the cons of using a acid normal fixer and removing the stain? Harder to print? less control?
The little corner of "artisan" analogue producers and retailers are often one guy/gal set ups or very small organisations, our very own @stevelmx5 at Chroma, James Lame at Zone Imaging and Hamish at Pixl-Latr are the guys that keep our little section of the world of photography moving forward and viable, they're often working very long hours to produce the things we need for our hobby, I'm happy to say I've supported all three over the years and I'm happy to carry on. If we lose these guys our photography world will be a poorer place.

The little corner of "artisan" analogue producers and retailers are often one guy/gal set ups or very small organisations, our very own @stevelmx5 at Chroma, James Lame at Zone Imaging and Hamish at Pixl-Latr are the guys that keep our little section of the world of photography moving forward and viable, they're often working very long hours to produce the things we need for our hobby, I'm happy to say I've supported all three over the years and I'm happy to carry on. If we lose these guys our photography world will be a poorer place.
Thanks Nick. Like James and Hamish (who also runs 35mmc.com, and has recently launched his new Omnar lenses), I really appreciate all of the support. Although I took on my first (and only) new guy last year, I'm still a tiny business in the grand scheme of things, and face the same challenges as all the tiny outfits, including trying to keep costs as low as possible, whilst still maintaining a viable service.

For those that use 510 pyro so you follow the water bath and no wash rec so not to remove the stain?

Does anyone know of an economical long shelf non acid fixer? It seems the economy of pyro 510 as a developer is offset somewhat by not being able to use acid fixer ( currently I bulk buy adox fix powder coming out at 40p per fix )

Zone imaging has some good recs but cannot find all of them in the uk

I spoke with James at the Photography Show and was pleased to see a new developer supplier in the market place ( he's in my Analogue Spotlight video if anyone wants to hear what he has to say.
The takeaways I got were
Long shelf life
Ideal for stand development
Low grain
Wide range of mid tones

The show price was I think £22.50 which I was happy to pay him for a bottle.
We need to support people like this ( unless you particularly like mixing chemicals)

Back