Hotpoint to recall some tumble dryers over fire risk

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like Some Hotpoint Tumble dryers are prone to bursting into flames, just been in to look at the model of mine. Phew thank goodness, mine is an Indesit.
It seems the affected model is the Aquarius model, and there is a repair programme just been put into place.

What is it with the standard of goods today, cars now tumble dryers bursting into flames :(

Last edited:
A couple of years back they had the same issue with their washing machines, catching alight

They told us not to use ours and they would send an engineer out to replace the faulty part, took them over 4 weeks!

A couple of years back they had the same issue with their washing machines, catching alight

They told us not to use ours and they would send an engineer out to replace the faulty part, took them over 4 weeks!
Seems they are in the process of contacting owners, provided they have registered their machines that is. Hotpoint will probably tell users, not to use the hottest setting :rolleyes:

PS
I wonder if they will blame a faulty heating processor, that was supplied by a third part? ;)

Last edited:
If they are not careful with this record of failures.... they could be all "washed up" and out of the white good business..............:banana:

Way deep down I know its just not as good as "Should have gone to spec savers"........but what can I do......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
WARNING

Washing machines are one of the biggest causes of house fires. Do not leave them on while you're asleep in bed, or even when you're not in the house!

WARNING

Washing machines are one of the biggest causes of house fires. Do not leave them on while you're asleep in bed, or even when you're not in the house!
Yep!! been there done that had the tea-shirt...lucky that wife was awake i was asleep otherwise house would have gone up...managed to drag machine into garden with flames coming out of bottom..
the machine was insured....it was collected very rapidly by the so called company who made it, and replaced free of charge with a brand new machine a week before Christmas...
it was probable a 4 year old machine at the time...( it was a washer dryer)

Had a washing machine go bang, when the stabilisation thingy failed.

WARNING

1. Smokers’ materials (i.e. cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco) were the most common source of ignition causing accidental dwelling fire fatalities, accounting for over a third of all accidental dwell- ing fire fatalities in 2013-14. For every 1,000 accidental dwelling fires caused by smokers’ materi- als, 34 people were killed in 2013-14. Fatalities from this source have fallen by 44% from the peak of 144 in 2001-02.

2. 2.14 While cooking appliances were responsible for more than half of accidental dwelling fires, it was not the main source of ignition that claimed most deaths. These fires caused 30 deaths in 2013- 14. For every 1,000 fires started in cooking appliances, there were only two fatalities. This could reflect the relatively minor nature of many cooking-related fires and the fact that many cooking fires occur when the victims are alert at the time of the fire.
Household electricals ( including washers I'd assume ) were about 12% of the causes. So if you don't smoke and eat out all the time you're pretty much safe ;)

Why? because they have taken people to the cleaners ? That would have deffo been a wise crack from @Cobra , but I got it in first :p
Its Sunday, its a day of rest, even God rested on the Sabbath, after creating mountains, low lands waterfalls and Whirlpools, bish bash Bosch :D

Its Sunday, its a day of rest, even God rested on the Sabbath, after creating mountains, low lands waterfalls and Whirlpools, bish bash Bosch :D
Ahh Sunday of course, that will explain why I am still in my dressing gown :)

He may have rested on the sunday but he was busy as hell on the 2nd monday - look at everything he's claimed to have created on the 8th day!

Household electricals ( including washers I'd assume ) were about 12% of the causes.

Maybe I should have said `washing machines are the single largest cause of fires amongst electrical household goods`

He may have rested on the sunday but he was busy as hell on the 2nd monday - look at everything he's claimed to have created on the 8th day!

Used to like lazy Sundays, but it is a bit of a strange day I think. People do tend to visit us on a Sunday, although I like to slob it.

Maybe I should have said `washing machines are the single largest cause of fires amongst electrical household goods`

I am sure it used to be TV sets that were the main culprits years ago. At the end of the night a voice would say " please do not forget to switch off your television set, goodnight " followed by that annoying high pitched beeeeeb. They said that so you would not leave them on, causing them to burst into flames.

What is it with the standard of goods today, cars now tumble dryers bursting into flames :(

This is one of my pet subjects...

I worked in electronics and then manufacturing for years and I think there are a number of problems. Of course cost comes into it as manufacturers often buy poor quality components as they're scrimping or because the suppliers tell porkies or because they don't really know what they're buying and of course some designers lack ability or even basic knowledge. On top of all that testing may be poor, inadequate or non existent and there's pressure to get stuff to market and that can lead to stuff being less good than it could be.

I saw some real shockers in my time, quite apt for electrical kit :D but I think that possibly the worst example was when I looked at a known and potentially dangerous fault and when I went to talk to the designers it was quickly clear to me that they just didn't have the in depth knowledge to be able to design the kit. It was really just basic stuff for me but rather than lose face by accepting what I was saying they discontinued the product which I suppose stopped more from entering the market but didn't do much about the kit already out there.

Products can't be perfect as they'd be vastly undercut by the mediocre competition and later to market and a generation or two behind because of all of the extra care and testing and of course a good product may be made less good because of what the supplier or a replacement supplier ships.

This is one of my pet subjects...

I worked in electronics and then manufacturing for years and I think there are a number of problems. Of course cost comes into it as manufacturers often buy poor quality components as they're scrimping or because the suppliers tell porkies or because they don't really know what they're buying and of course some designers lack ability or even basic knowledge. On top of all that testing may be poor, inadequate or non existent and there's pressure to get stuff to market and that can lead to stuff being less good than it could be.

I saw some real shockers in my time, quite apt for electrical kit :D but I think that possibly the worst example was when I looked at a known and potentially dangerous fault and when I went to talk to the designers it was quickly clear to me that they just didn't have the in depth knowledge to be able to design the kit. It was really just basic stuff for me but rather than lose face by accepting what I was saying they discontinued the product which I suppose stopped more from entering the market but didn't do much about the kit already out there.

Products can't be perfect as they'd be vastly undercut by the mediocre competition and later to market and a generation or two behind because of all of the extra care and testing and of course a good product may be made less good because of what the supplier or a replacement supplier ships.
Now that is scary reading, but I suppose we all know about cost cutting measures etc. I remember I bought a car battery charger, 1980 and it lasted ages without fault. It only failed a few years ago when I dropped it, it was made in Germany. I bought a replacement charger made in China, it failed after a year :(

look at everything he's claimed to have created on the 8th day!
Bugger all TBH, its only so he could claim overtime :D

Now that is scary reading, but I suppose we all know about cost cutting measures etc. I remember I bought a car battery charger, 1980 and it lasted ages without fault. It only failed a few years ago when I dropped it, it was made in Germany. I bought a replacement charger made in China, it failed after a year :(

I've dealt with manufacturers all over the world and without naming names or even where they were based or generalising too much :D ...

There were companies I dealt with who'd reply very quickly to any issue I raised by sending me something, maybe a certificate, which was IMO fake. Maybe they just looked at what I was saying and then typed something up and sent it through. Where could they be based? :D

As VW shows, you really can't trust anyone but doing the job properly in the first instance and carrying out appropriate testing costs time and money even if the expertise is there and often, surprisingly, it isn't.

Who'd have thought that people designing stuff didn't really know what they were doing? Surely they'd all be highly qualified and highly knowledgeable and expert? Yeah, right :D

Last edited:
Scary thought(s) there :D

And to scare you even more.

One aspect of product design was and probably still is little understood or considered by the manufacturers and we had a standard document setting out some basic things we'd send through for them to sign and send back. It was a waste of time entering into any discussion as there are often gaps in expertise so we'd just supply the missing and get them to sign for it before incorporating it into their thing.

Looks like Some Hotpoint Tumble dryers are prone to bursting into flames, just been in to look at the model of mine. Phew thank goodness, mine is an Indesit.
It seems the affected model is the Aquarius model, and there is a repair programme just been put into place.

Think again, John - Indesit is affected http://www.indesitservice.co.uk/appliances/washing-machines/safety-notices/

I think Creda is too.

Indesit website states that the risk is "very low" and the mod that can be carried out will make it "extremely low".

Creda / Hot point / Indesit... Same company.

I knew that Indesit had been taken over a while ago, Ruth.

I put my Indesit number in the webform a short time ago and it came up "No further action". My TD is in a shed at the top of my garden so I was not worried about anyone coming to harm.

I put my Indesit number in the webform a short time ago and it came up "No further action". My TD is in a shed at the top of my garden so I was not worried about anyone coming to harm.

I've got a Creda that's 15 years old and still going strong.
Mine lives in the shed too as it's front venting and creates a fair bit of dust and condensation.

To be honest they all probably under the same umbrella some how, think it was supposed to be just the Aquarius model affected. But who really knows, until they go wrong !

A lot of goods under different names have common parts.

I have just repeated the webcheck and it now states that my TD is one of the affected group !!

Don't trust them and don't feel inclined to hand over personal details.

Last edited:
It was only last week that I had taken delivery of a brand new Hotpoint washing machine and tumble drier. :runaway: According to the recall situation, apparently it applies to just about most brands of machines going back to 2004 - that's an awful lot of machine to fix up and going by what I've seen on internet social media, that seems to be by the million.

Boy, the local engineers have their work cut out.

Tumble201.jpg~original

Incidentally, a few days ago, my already above mentioned brand new Hotpoint drier had ceased functioning (only cold air blew through it when in use). I used an email address to contact Hotpoint about it and then two hours later, they rang me up to provide them some more details (serial number, etc).
This morning, a brand new replacement like-for-like machine turned up at my doorstep and the faulty one was taken away. :banana:

Last edited:
Mine is one of the affected machines, registered it and haven't heard a dickie bird since, they must be taking it very seriously then

Mine is one of the affected machines, registered it and haven't heard a dickie bird since, they must be taking it very seriously then

Does that mean that have nothing to prove that you registered it ? If so that could be handy for them if you have a fire.

Back