How do they do this?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
This is an image which took third prize in the World Press competition, Sport section: World Press

Considering the type of subject matter, this photo is ridiculously sharp and there is no discernible movement blurring. How do they do this? Obviously we are talking serious kit here but how fast must the shutter speed be to freeze everything in this picture. Grain/noise is almost non-existent so ISO can't be off the chart. I aspire to this sort of photography but I must be lacking something, I wonder what it is?

I would punt a guess.....

Canon 1DXii with one of the f2.8 long primes - 1/4000, f2.8 and whatever ISO 'works' such flagship bodies produce very clean images at surprisingly high ISO. I think I recall seeing examples SOOC @ ISO 12,000

any pro glass could get this easy, probably 1/1000 or 1/2000 aperture probably f2.8 to f/4 and iso probably 200-400 should able get that shot easy, the pro cameras and fast glass have superior focusing abilities compaired to cheaper lenses

i shot this at 1/1250 f/5.6 iso720, at 340mm using a teleconvertorView attachment 315993

Only 1/1250! I guess it must be me then. Whenever I try to take pictures like this there is always an element of blur. It's not that I have cheap equipment, so I can't blame my tools (Nikon D810 with fast zooms) so there is only one other factor involved, hmmm, need more practice.

the glass plays a massive part on the focusing speed i was using a 70-200 f2.8

Only 1/1250! I guess it must be me then. Whenever I try to take pictures like this there is always an element of blur. It's not that I have cheap equipment, so I can't blame my tools (Nikon D810 with fast zooms) so there is only one other factor involved, hmmm, need more practice.

If you have to move to get the shot, you can introduce blur - looking in a different direction and then having to move to frame the shot. The trick is to be framing the shot constantly. YES, you keep your eye to the camera and stay alert, it is only the reflex of hitting the shutter then. The image you have used as an example, is in good light and the depth of field is such I don't think that is taken with any longer than a 70-200, from the back of a motorbike, sitting facing backwards, there fore looking at the action constantly. I haven't done it since I shot film, when I used to do some work for Cycling Weekly.

If you have to move to get the shot, you can introduce blur - looking in a different direction and then having to move to frame the shot. The trick is to be framing the shot constantly. YES, you keep your eye to the camera and stay alert, it is only the reflex of hitting the shutter then. The image you have used as an example, is in good light and the depth of field is such I don't think that is taken with any longer than a 70-200, from the back of a motorbike, sitting facing backwards, there fore looking at the action constantly. I haven't done it since I shot film, when I used to do some work for Cycling Weekly.
It occured in the final sprint for the finish line about 50yds from the line. Motorbikes are removed from the course with about 500yds to go. There is a small group of Togs permited to stand/crouch about 25yds past the line looking straight down the course at the oncoming riders. There is about 5-10 seconds of activity with riders traveling at 60km+ so they are poised for the finish celebration and any likely action.

And I suppose these top line cameras just have their shutter buttons held down for that short time. Ah for the skill of film, 36 shots (bulk backs excepted) in three seconds, better get it right.

And I suppose these top line cameras just have their shutter buttons held down for that short time. Ah for the skill of film, 36 shots (bulk backs excepted) in three seconds, better get it right.

Totally agree. The "Yoof" of today have it easy and don't appreciate the skill old fogies like me once had to (Try and) have! :hug:

It occured in the final sprint for the finish line about 50yds from the line. Motorbikes are removed from the course with about 500yds to go. There is a small group of Togs permited to stand/crouch about 25yds past the line looking straight down the course at the oncoming riders. There is about 5-10 seconds of activity with riders traveling at 60km+ so they are poised for the finish celebration and any likely action.

That^.

As for the technical details, it is a fairly standard sports shot.

This is an image which took third prize in the World Press competition, Sport section: World Press

Considering the type of subject matter, this photo is ridiculously sharp and there is no discernible movement blurring. How do they do this? Obviously we are talking serious kit here but how fast must the shutter speed be to freeze everything in this picture. Grain/noise is almost non-existent so ISO can't be off the chart. I aspire to this sort of photography but I must be lacking something, I wonder what it is?

Anything above 1/1250th, 1/1600th will freeze even pretty fast movement. I'd guess the photographer is using an f2.8 lens here, wide open so in bright sunlight you would be able to get a way higher shutter speed than that. I hired a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens a couple of years ago for the Silverstone Classic. An example photo below, even in dull, wet conditions I shot this at 1/3200th, f2.8, ISO100. The downside of course is the cost, size and weight of the lens. Those extra couple of stops of light cost a huge amount of money and result in a massive lens.

IMG_0659.jpg

If I want "real" sharp stuff with great DOF I grab my very old Canon 200 2.8; Throw in a good high shutter speed and you'd be suprised! Fantastic lens.

Back