How do you deal with Teenage Idiots

and your point is?

I think young people are demonized by the tabloid press, and in particular by the Daily Mail.

Yes, there are problems in society and much of it revolves around the seeming lack of respect that younger generations give to "society", but some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous and smack of the rhetoric the tabloid press uses when describing young people.

Now, since I'm 21 and male, I'll have to go off and knife someone, crash my car into an old lady's dog, spread some STIs, and film all of these episodes in order to upload them on youtube for the LULZ.

So I read the first 2 pages and gave up.

All of you guys who are saying "I would have smacked him had he said anything to me"

Get real, no you wouldn't.

And if you would, what would it achieve? A fine and possible prison sentence? An asbo? GBH?

The chav would be back on the street within a few days with 10 hours community service and a certificate for ADHD.

One of my girlfriend's mates has taken a disliking to me and is constantly asking my girlfriend for sexual favours. Not cool. At a recent party, when I was leaking the lizard in the loos, he saw me in there, shouted to his mate in one of the cubicles, "Hey that Sophie girl is a slut!", and proceeded to 'accidentally' throw a pint at me.

I finished up, washed my hands, followed him out of the toilet, told my girlfriend what he had said, waited until he was sober the next day, had a word, spoke to my girlfriend, put the guy in his place, and reassured my girlfriend that it was all cool in the school.

My point is, you can say anything to anyone if you word it correctly, and fighting fire with fire, unfortunately in the case of the godawful youths walking the street, isn't the way to sort these kids out. People out for a fight have been around since the dawn of time.

They now just hang around in town centres wearing full Nike Air tracksuits instead of hanging around cave entrances wearing mammoth skin coats.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 18, male, and have never been in a fight in my life. If someone hit me, I am sure I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself, but I would far rather go home without a knife wound than shut the mouthy chav up by shouting back.

I think young people are demonized by the tabloid press, and in particular by the Daily Mail.

Yes, there are problems in society and much of it revolves around the seeming lack of respect that younger generations give to "society", but some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous and smack of the rhetoric the tabloid press uses when describing young people.

Now, since I'm 21 and male, I'll have to go off and knife someone, crash my car into an old lady's dog, spread some STIs, and film all of these episodes in order to upload them on youtube for the LULZ.

Yes, that is clear enough for me (I note you removed that sentence for some reason?)

I think you are right to some degree, and yes, a lot of comments here are a bit silly.

But it cuts both ways - whilst there are some over-generalisations about youngsters there are also a lot of people so busy saying not everyone is like that that they fail to accept that actually there are a lot of people like that. They are so busy offering fluffy-bunny, hug-a-hoody solutions (actually quite often they don't offer any solution & just slag off the 'Daily Mail' readers) that they miss the point that these often simply don't work. And they think they are the ones being criticised.

For the avoidance of doubt, the problem is with anti-social youths who think they have the right to behave however the hell they choose and their right to fun or whatever else they call it trumps everyone else's right to a peaceful, violence, crime & antisiocial-free life.
If that doesn't describe you, then I for one am not talking about you!

(And I haven't got the faintest idea what LULZ means)

I agree with much of what has been said here about teenagers being vilified. Its not all teenagers at fault, not even a large percentage of them, but what is missing here is the fact that those that are a problem are utterly out of control and their behaviour is basically feral. The police wont or cant act, the parents dont give a rats ~~~~ and the little perishers know they can get away with it.

In my time, I have seen them all, and had to deal with literally thousands of young gung ho lads in the 17 -20 bracket. Those that thought they were hard, some that actually were, and in the main coming from the poorer end of society. Occasionally, their behaviour went beyond the pail, especially when drink was involved. Heads cracked, bars wrecked, occasionally something worse, but these kids today are different. The lads I dealt with were all sorry the day after and realised what pratts they had made of themselves, and most of them would willingly go beyond the pail to help someone else. None of them would have kicked an innocent man to death on his way home from the shop, none of them would have stabbed an innocent man in front of his toddler daughter, none of them would mug a pensioner and think it a joke.

Im sure none of us were angels as youngsters, but for many of us it was a different time, respect for parents, respect and fear of the law (when the village bobby was happy to whump you on the head). Lets be honest, many of these little beauties are copying their parents. Until the courts stop pussyfooting around with them and back up the police, and start to hand down real sentences, its not going to get any better.

Damn, I fell off my soapbox. :crying:

Its not all teenagers at fault, not even a large percentage of them, but what is missing here is the fact that those that are a problem are utterly out of control and their behaviour is basically feral. The police wont or cant act, the parents dont give a rats ~~~~ and the little perishers know they can get away with it.

:clap::clap::clap:

We all know this boils down to single parent families without a strong male influence of course ;)

:exit:

I remember watching a program when ex-SAS personnel are hired by councils to collect covert survelliance on trouble makers for court evidence, and the SAS guys said the street should ALWAYS be treated like an enemy hostile situation.

Never engage, never let yourself become visible (unless it cant be avoided).

I grew up with some proper nasty people that just wanted to kill and it dosent matter if you carry a £3000 camera or walk a dog on the end of a lead, if you appear on their radar and show weakness you are likely to be going down.

Ignoring them and scuttling off is not the best move unless you know you can get away from them by doing so.

well that was fun reading, i know the ME discussion is closed but i can sympathise with some of the sufferers plites (spelling:shrug:). i suffer from temperal lobe generalised seizures, epilepcy in plain terms, however, it's not the drop to the floor and polish it kind of epilepcy, instead it's absence seizures i suffer from which would go totally un-noticed untill someone realised why i wouldn't react to things or why i stopped spreaking half way through a sentance. This like ME has no one test proves yay or nay and half the time i felt like i was going insane and wasting everyones time but it is real and has documented evidence so is proven. And now that i read that back it's a completely pointless statement but i'm leaving it there just because i can :puke:

back on topic, i'm 26 so not that far passed the throwing snowballs at people age, i also used to help out at a youth group and have just finished an HND which was half full of 16-20 year olds. I think i still have my fingure on the pulse with a bit of extra maturity than most and can safely say that some folk just are beyond help, not that they can't be helped, more they dont want help! to go back to the OP, the guy approaching the 'tog clearly has only one objective, to show off infront of the rest of his mates, the same as people stabbing other people for kudos, thats thestreet respect and a complete lot of bull, little men trying to act hard so they dont feel so insecure.

I've got my own theory on groups of neds and it has been proven time and time again, you's have all mentioned the ring leader and stereo typed him as red headed etc but i still call it 'wee man syndrome' it's always the smallest in the crowd who'll run his mouth off first and get his bigger mates to 'gee em honars'.

I've had to deal with someone suffering wee man syndrome on the street when i was only 18, said ned and his group of mates tried to jump myself and a group of my mates, said ned started off proceedings with the funniest of comments "i feel ah right hook commin on" following which i felt a hand grab my back as he tried to swing for my head, this was completely unprovoked so was met with me throwing ned into a barrier then over it to which the encirculating crowd suddenly let me past with out incident, as there was a pretty large crowd i kept on walking picking up my friends as i went along, each time i reached one of my mates and showed that i wasn't the least intimidated they stept back from it all, no once i had reached the last of my friends and got them on their way the initial ned had picked himself back up and got a few of his biggest friends to head straight for me, as i was nearly at the cinema(where we origionally were headed) i just headed that way at jogging pace with ned and friends giving chace, once the first of them got their hand on me i repeated the turn which had earlier left ned in pain to which i got the same responce, a clear path to my destination. :LOL: i still giggle as i can remember the wee high pitched comment from the start.

now that was when i had been trianing in Aikido for 3 years, it's now been 11 so i have no quams about walking past neds and since i have a quick tongue and even quicker hands situations are delt with quickly and without incident.

in relation to the OP i think you done the right thing, keep taking your pictures, if they get agressive kindly pass comment that there's no need and procecution is easy with photographic evidence :rules: as to people trying to get the youths interested i think that is more what is needed, as i ahve said some are beyond hope but the rest are just bored and are doing what everyone else does, there's always going to be the 'too cool for school' types there always has been, but the rest just need guidance

:coat::beer::ty::LOL:

So I read the first 2 pages and gave up.

All of you guys who are saying "I would have smacked him had he said anything to me"

Get real, no you wouldn't.

And if you would, what would it achieve? A fine and possible prison sentence? An asbo? GBH?

The chav would be back on the street within a few days with 10 hours community service and a certificate for ADHD.

One of my girlfriend's mates has taken a disliking to me and is constantly asking my girlfriend for sexual favours. Not cool. At a recent party, when I was leaking the lizard in the loos, he saw me in there, shouted to his mate in one of the cubicles, "Hey that Sophie girl is a slut!", and proceeded to 'accidentally' throw a pint at me.

I finished up, washed my hands, followed him out of the toilet, told my girlfriend what he had said, waited until he was sober the next day, had a word, spoke to my girlfriend, put the guy in his place, and reassured my girlfriend that it was all cool in the school.

My point is, you can say anything to anyone if you word it correctly, and fighting fire with fire, unfortunately in the case of the godawful youths walking the street, isn't the way to sort these kids out. People out for a fight have been around since the dawn of time.

They now just hang around in town centres wearing full Nike Air tracksuits instead of hanging around cave entrances wearing mammoth skin coats.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 18, male, and have never been in a fight in my life. If someone hit me, I am sure I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself, but I would far rather go home without a knife wound than shut the mouthy chav up by shouting back.

Fantastic attitude and great maturity.:clap:
Pete.

Chris,
completely off topic, but I love the way you speak, reminds me of my family in Ayr!

:agree: my story may well have been but everyone was chucking in random stuff so i thought i would too :LOL: at least some of my post was realated to your OP which is more than i can say for about 5 pages of this :banana::popcorn::LOL:

I like to think that our society and the representatives thereof are an influence on children and who in their right mind would vote for or support anyone who wasnt going to act in a way we thought fitting and just, thus setting the correct example for behavoir.

Of course what we see in the media, our aggression in Iraq and anywhere else we can get our filthy little hands on less powerful countries resources, politicians lies, banks ripping the soul out of hardworking individuals and total disrespect for the planet that gives us the opportunity to live has no effect on children does it.

My tip, carry biscuits and balloons around with you, they always fall for that.

Yes, that is clear enough for me (I note you removed that sentence for some reason?)

I think you are right to some degree, and yes, a lot of comments here are a bit silly.

But it cuts both ways - whilst there are some over-generalisations about youngsters there are also a lot of people so busy saying not everyone is like that that they fail to accept that actually there are a lot of people like that. They are so busy offering fluffy-bunny, hug-a-hoody solutions (actually quite often they don't offer any solution & just slag off the 'Daily Mail' readers) that they miss the point that these often simply don't work. And they think they are the ones being criticised.

For the avoidance of doubt, the problem is with anti-social youths who think they have the right to behave however the hell they choose and their right to fun or whatever else they call it trumps everyone else's right to a peaceful, violence, crime & antisiocial-free life.

And for every 1 anti-social youth, there are 150 well behaved, well mannered youths willing to contribute to society.

The only reason people think it's more of a problem than it is is because of the media. No one wants to read about the good kids, they want to hear the latest story of 4 council estate lads beating the carp out of some old guy. And hence, those are the stories that are published, those are the stories that are read, and those are the stories that are discussed on forums like this.

I bet you walk around past hundreds of youngsters, and not one of them says anything you, and god forbid one might even smile at you.
But when some oik looking for a bit of renown from his peers shouts "oi p***!", the youths of Britain are awful.

They're no worse now than they were 20, 30 years ago (no not from personal experience, from tales told).

My dad got into several scraps with guys who wanted a fight 'just because' (i doubt many of the brawls actually happened (my pop being a bit of an ego-maniac :p), but the fact that some lads wanted a fight is most likely true), and a family friend was bullied in the Army for being a big guy, to the point where the guys were pinning him down and burning him with cigarettes, and he had to be bought out by his dad.

Difference between now and then is the media's coverage.

Oh, btw, cathus this wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at most of the topic (y)
No hard feelings :)

Whilst there are some over-generalisations about youngsters there are also a lot of people so busy saying not everyone is like that that they fail to accept that actually there are a lot of people like that. They are so busy offering fluffy-bunny, hug-a-hoody solutions (actually quite often they don't offer any solution & just slag off the 'Daily Mail' readers) that they miss the point that these often simply don't work. And they think they are the ones being criticised.

That is some seriously clear thinking - no sarcasm meant (y)

I agree there is a problem with some young people - but the problem is over-exaggerated by the media. Take knife crime in London for example. Though there has been a lot of high profile coverage recently, but the fact is that knife crime is lower than it has been for many years. You are no more likely to get knifed now than you were five years ago.

As for the "hug a hoodie" stuff, that was Labour's response to a David Cameron speech. Although I'd lean towards Labour if I had to make a choice, both parties are WAY out of touch with the general public and especially young people.

Btw, LULZ is just an example of American fear of young people. If you want a bit of a laugh, watch the following vid:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY

*van explodes*

Lets be honest, many of these little beauties are copying their parents. Until the courts stop pussyfooting around with them and back up the police, and start to hand down real sentences, its not going to get any better.

Damn, I fell off my soapbox. :crying:

Wait, what? Please tell me you don't think more convictions of parents is going to help young people get out of trouble?

Or are you really that out of touch?

foodpoison - I don't do hard feelings, I do like a good debate, however.

I do disagree with you about it being a problem caused by the media though. To a certain extent there is a 'fear of crime/anti social behaviour' thing as opposed to the reality of it, but I can't believe this is all in the mind of a few media moguls.

I've lived in the same house for over 20 years & I know that I get woken up by 'yobs' in the street more in the last 5 years than I did in the first 5 years. I've personally gone out into the street to chase off yobs beating up a neighbour's son when he was kicked unconscious (followed & caught them in a different street & handed over to police), have stopped teenagers damaging a wall with a hammer, stopped yobs ****ing up against a neighbours fence twice, caught 2 lads walking off with pot plants taken from the town centre, had trainer prints over the roof of my car only a few weeks ago, assisted neighbours in dealing with youths throwing milk over all the parked cars at 8 in the morning. Had my wing mirror broken, aerial snapped off & before Christmas my rear window wiper was snapped off. I get woken regularly by them coming back from the town centre using our street as a short cut. We've had so much anti social problems that the council have installed a CCTV camera in one of the alleyways through our street.
One of the alleyways is regularly used by drug-using teenagers. The old couple across the road have had to replace their fence 3 times in the last 18 months due to it being randomly kicked in & grafitti on their fence & the council walls is a monthly problem.
All these incidents, (bar the assault) were in the last 2 years.

We live in a cul-de-sac, When I moved in the only things that happened were the occasional bit of damage to cars or the odd theft from them.

That's not media hype that's how one street has developed over 20 years, and we live in a smallish town, not a city centre.
If your town or street has not got worse in the last 20 years then that is fantastic news for you, I'm really pleased that it's not everywhere, but I honestly believe, through experience, that this is not the general case.

By all means deal with offenders and antisocial nitwits, whatever their age, infact lets start with those that kill most innocent people and do most damage to the environment...go figure, it's not rocket science. Ive worked as an outdoor education instructor and run my own business teaching activities in schools and in my experience children are mostly a result of influence and who has most influence, who's got most life experience, who's in the best position to choose what the next generation learn?

Btw, LULZ is just an example of American fear of young people. If you want a bit of a laugh, watch the following vid:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY

I'm so in trouble with my wife because of you!

While I was watchjing that vid, my 9-week-old puppy who we've had 5 days, woke up, got off her bed & came over. I thought I'd just watch the end of the vid before taking her out into the garden....and she pee'd on the carpet - doh!

By all means deal with offenders and antisocial nitwits, whatever their age, infact lets start with those that kill most innocent people and do most damage to the environment...go figure, it's not rocket science. Ive worked as an outdoor education instructor and run my own business teaching activities in schools and in my experience children are mostly a result of influence and who has most influence, who's got most life experience, who's in the best position to choose what the next generation learn?

Is there any personal responsibility in your world or is everything the government's fault?

Is there any personal responsibility in your world or is everything the government's fault?

I've already said deal with the offenders, thats the immediate response and i dont think anyone with an ounce of common sense will say that there is not personal responsibilty. It's been stated here enough without me reiterating it.

We are part of a society and our input into it. wether we are government, military, photographer, parent or teacher creates the output. Personal responsibilty also includes what parts of society we support, what resources we use, our response to others how much research and thinking we do before we make a desicion or form a sentence. It would take forever to list all the thoughtless acts we carry out. How many parents wear perfume and aftershave when they visit a newborn, preventing them from fully bonding with their parents. How many parents allow their children to watch television on an evening for a longer period of time than they themselves play with them. How many adults think that schools are the main source of education rather than a support for the parents duty to educate....and i havnt even got started. If you can look at yourself in the mirror and say 'youve done the absolute best for your children and the children in you community' then you are in a position to blame and judge.

The answer to your question is no, i think we are all in this together and pointing the finger is an easy cop out.

So unless we can live up to a particular set of standards which you have set for society in your own mind, then we cannot make criticism, blame or judge, is that what you are saying?

I don't suppose there is a anyone who can say they have done absolutely everything right for their children. But I also suspect there are an awful lot who have done their best & the outcome will be people who will be net 'givers' to society rather than net 'takers' if I can use that term.

And there will be many who don't give a flying **** how they bring up their children, and who probably leave most of it to everyone else, as well as those who, through no choice of their own don't possess the skills to raise a child.

I hope that when I have wound up my kids & pointed them in the right direction that they will go on to be net givers and will do no harm, I do feel a little agreived though that because I'm not perfect I shouldn't be able to criticise those who don't come up to my own standards, even though there may be those who have even higher ones, after all, surely that's what you are doing, we just might have different standards?

And I do see the point of role models be they parents, schools, footballers or governments. But I think that most people do actually know right from wrong, they just choose to do their own thing.

I blame the government for listening to the do-gooder PC brigade. If kids are allowed to run riot, knowing full well that any attempt at controlling them is a breach of the law then what do we expect? "If I dont get a PS3 for Xmas I'm gonna divorce my parents" ... WTF??

How are kids supposed to learn self discipline and the fact that a little sacrifice now will reap greater rewards later if they can just demand everything now and get it because it's called "depravation of their human rights" if they don't.

Oh, and before I get jumped on, discipline doesnt always mean smacking ... there used to be other ways ;)

Personally if I was faced with such youths I would simply say ... "I'm a talent scout, and I photograph interesting people for various companies. Here have one of my cards, you can have a look at your portraits online later if you like. You never know what attention yours might receive". :naughty: If it doesn't serve as a laugh for their mates at their expense, it might at least make them realise what an utter twit they had been if they see their picture .. or both!

As for battering and such ... Just remember you were all young once, and some still are. No it doesn't give them an excuse to get away with immature behaviour and never will. But remember what bordom felt like when you were young? If you don't then you were probably one of the more fortunate and well behaved children. All you can do is try and influence any children you might have in the same way. Or get involved in your community and try and help provide an alternative entertainment for kids. It won't be easy and you won't be able to 'reach' all of the wallys, but changing the way some behave is a good start.

foodpoison - I don't do hard feelings, I do like a good debate, however.

I do disagree with you about it being a problem caused by the media though. To a certain extent there is a 'fear of crime/anti social behaviour' thing as opposed to the reality of it, but I can't believe this is all in the mind of a few media moguls.

I've lived in the same house for over 20 years & I know that I get woken up by 'yobs' in the street more in the last 5 years than I did in the first 5 years. I've personally gone out into the street to chase off yobs beating up a neighbour's son when he was kicked unconscious (followed & caught them in a different street & handed over to police), have stopped teenagers damaging a wall with a hammer, stopped yobs ****ing up against a neighbours fence twice, caught 2 lads walking off with pot plants taken from the town centre, had trainer prints over the roof of my car only a few weeks ago, assisted neighbours in dealing with youths throwing milk over all the parked cars at 8 in the morning. Had my wing mirror broken, aerial snapped off & before Christmas my rear window wiper was snapped off. I get woken regularly by them coming back from the town centre using our street as a short cut. We've had so much anti social problems that the council have installed a CCTV camera in one of the alleyways through our street.
One of the alleyways is regularly used by drug-using teenagers. The old couple across the road have had to replace their fence 3 times in the last 18 months due to it being randomly kicked in & grafitti on their fence & the council walls is a monthly problem.
All these incidents, (bar the assault) were in the last 2 years.

We live in a cul-de-sac, When I moved in the only things that happened were the occasional bit of damage to cars or the odd theft from them.

That's not media hype that's how one street has developed over 20 years, and we live in a smallish town, not a city centre.
If your town or street has not got worse in the last 20 years then that is fantastic news for you, I'm really pleased that it's not everywhere, but I honestly believe, through experience, that this is not the general case.

I see your point. The unfortunate thing is, the situation has probably got better in another area, to balance things out.

I still believe that the media make things seem a lot worse than they are, but as you have said, there is no denying that there is a problem with youths, be it 1 out of 150 or the majority of a run down neighbourhood.

However, these youths have been around for a while. For example, a council estate near me, a few years ago had a massive drugs bust. Confiscated a sickening amount of cocaine and marijuana (not that I have a problem with marijuana but that's a discussion for another day!), and also found pistols and AK47's. That was, ooh, about 5 years ago?
This area now is fine. Haven't heard a peep from them. It used to be "ooh don't walk around there at night", and now it's "hearsey gardens, who are ya?"

Take knife crime in London for example. Though there has been a lot of high profile coverage recently, but the fact is that knife crime is lower than it has been for many years. You are no more likely to get knifed now than you were five years ago.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Figures released by the government show there isn't an increase but that's because they omit certain numbers from reports to make them look better

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Figures released by the government show there isn't an increase but that's because they omit certain numbers from reports to make them look better

ahhh the things people will do to meet "targets"

Wait, what? Please tell me you don't think more convictions of parents is going to help young people get out of trouble?

I think either I may have worded it badly or you have misunderstood. I wasnt saying anything about sentencing parents for their kids behaviour. I was simply saying that a lot of the antisocial behaviour is learned from antisocial parents. However, for violent offences, whether by parent or offspring, hell yes, I would hand out a harsh sentence.

Regardless of what causes these problems in our society, whether it be poverty, boredom, poor role models, criminal behaviour is simply criminal and should be treated as such. The bottom line is that they behave like this because they can, and they know it.

Holden C

As I said, there have always been incidents you described from the 70s.

The important question however, is do you think it is worse today, better, or the same?

It's very easy to pick individual events from both today & the 70s. I could recount a story of a gang rape in 1980 & another yesterday where a teenager stroked a dog & walked a granny across the road. They are completely meaningless unless taken into account with the overall picture of society at that time.

So, better, worse or the same now compared to 1970, straight answer.

I am not sure what you want me to comment on. Are you asking me if teenagers or crime is worse now or both ?

And just to lighten the mood a little:

What's the most confusing day of the year for a Chav?
Fathers Day!

How do you start an argument with a chav?
Speak!

What do you call a chav in a tastfully decorated house?
The burglar.

What do you call a Chav in a box?
Innit.

What do you call a Chav in a filing cabinet?
Sorted.

What do you call a Chav in a box with a lock on it?
Safe.

What do you call an Eskimo Chav?
Innuinnit.

Why are Chavs like slinkies?
They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight
of stairs.

What do you call a Chavette in a white tracksuit?
The bride.

What do you say to a chav at work?
Can i have a big mac please?

How do you identify the bride at a chav wedding?
She is the most pregnant one.

What do chavs use as protection during sex?
A bus shelter!

What do you call a large group of chavs decending on somewhere (a pub for instance)?
A Chavalanche

If you see a Chav on a bike, why should you try not to run him
over?
It might be your bike.

What's the difference between a Chav and a coconut?
One's thick and hairy, the other's a coconut.

What's the first question at a Chav quiz night?
"What you lookin' at?"

How do you identify the bride at a chav wedding?
She is the most pregnant one.

How do you get 100 Chavs into a phone box?
Paint three stripes on it.

Chavs in a car without any music. Who's driving?
The police.

Where do you take a Chavette for a decent night out?
Up the gary!

What do you call a Chav in a boiler suit?
Prisoner

So unless we can live up to a particular set of standards which you have set for society in your own mind, then we cannot make criticism, blame or judge, is that what you are saying?

I don't suppose there is a anyone who can say they have done absolutely everything right for their children. But I also suspect there are an awful lot who have done their best & the outcome will be people who will be net 'givers' to society rather than net 'takers' if I can use that term.

And there will be many who don't give a flying **** how they bring up their children, and who probably leave most of it to everyone else, as well as those who, through no choice of their own don't possess the skills to raise a child.

I hope that when I have wound up my kids & pointed them in the right direction that they will go on to be net givers and will do no harm, I do feel a little agreived though that because I'm not perfect I shouldn't be able to criticise those who don't come up to my own standards, even though there may be those who have even higher ones, after all, surely that's what you are doing, we just might have different standards?

And I do see the point of role models be they parents, schools, footballers or governments. But I think that most people do actually know right from wrong, they just choose to do their own thing.

Most people do know right from wrong, morals are a learnt behavoir and one which we seem to choose to ignore, wether that be aggressive military action, pollution, lying, sitting kids in front of TV and so on and on and on. Knowing right from wrong is obviously not the the problem.Psycopaths know it's wrong to do what they do, we lock them up to protect the public, not as punishment to help them 'learn'.

What stops people from behaving in an antisocial way is empathy which is another learned behavoir. Choice without an understanding of empathy is rather limited hence my points about bonding and parents putting children first, ahead of Eastenders or big brother or the news or work. Yes, children from families that dont care are going to turn out, statistically speaking, worse than others but we are all part of a whole culture and everybodies actions have an accumulative effect on childrens grasp of how others feel.

Chav, I beleive is a Romany term for child Chavvie

Absolutely,

Chav comes from the Romani word “chavi”, meaning child. Related words include “charva” for prostitute or Spanish chaval or chavo meaning “lad”.

Back