How far/long do you travel for work

I work in London and live in Cornwall - 257 miles each way...

That said, I only work some of the time as my wife also works in London so we take turns - she is a nurse at Gt Ormond Street.
So just why are we living down here then...?

9.5 miles, 25 to 30 minutes - mix of country lanes and in Bristol, so 30 or 40 limits everywhere apart from 1/4 mile of NSL.

I moved to get a commute which was more consistent, then after I moved the council finally got around to sorting out the junction that had caused me massive problems for the previous decade!

I've always commuted. I don't find it's the distance but the time of the commute. For me it's about an hour is my limit. Don't mind the occaisional trip over otr longer but regularly I've never commuted further than I could get in an hour.

I work in London and live in Cornwall - 257 miles each way...

That said, I only work some of the time as my wife also works in London so we take turns - she is a nurse at Gt Ormond Street.
So just why are we living down here then...?

You win, that's about 50 years commute (cornwall is still stuck in the 60's?) :D

My ex used to travel to Manchester from Warrington every morning, she used the East Lancs road. She set off very early before the traffic got heavy, if she got the timing wrong it was a nightmare to get into work! When I was single, my commute to work was down a flight of stairs. As I lived above the business ;)

It is what it is. Worked shift for 30 years. Take the rough with the smooth. have had a pretty good run with xmas the last 3 years so this year its my turn to take the hit.

Still be good to go home, but then its always good to go home.

I walk for under 5 mins, no traffic problems here.
Also no excuse for being late ;)

Too close, once had a job like that and was always the first to be contacted when it went pear shaped

They might but they only have my mobile number and I'm good at ignoring it or turning it off (y)
Actually it's not a problem I have ever had :)

I live in Perthshire and my 'normal place of work' is Dundee which is 25 miles away.

I work from home whenever I want though so that's fine.

I also work in Glasgow 60 miles each way / Aberdeen 100 miles each way / Inverness 130 miles each way but as they're not my normal place of work I claim 45p per mile for those days or company hire car.

Last edited:
TBH the questions I'd be asking myself are around working hours, flexi-time etc.
If you're not going to be working overtime on a regular basis and if you have the flexibility to start/leave early/late to avoid the worst of rush hour, then it may not be so bad.

My current commute is 15 miles and usually takes about 40 minutes - 25 minutes on a REALLY good day but on occasion it can be anything up to 90.

Prior to that I was doing 35 miles each way, which should only have taken 45 minutes but was regularly 90 minutes plus.
What got me down with that was the working hours. I'd start at 8:00 and regularly be in the office to 18:30 so when you factor in three hours driving each day, it didn't leave me with much of a life Monday to Friday and I couldn't stick it for long !!!

Front door for me but that's to be expected, down side is I'm always at work but certainly wouldn't want it any other way :) Sure as hell don't envy anyone who has to commute every day on our clogged up roads and railways.

TBH the questions I'd be asking myself are around working hours, flexi-time etc.
If you're not going to be working overtime on a regular basis and if you have the flexibility to start/leave early/late to avoid the worst of rush hour, then it may not be so bad.

My current commute is 15 miles and usually takes about 40 minutes - 25 minutes on a REALLY good day but on occasion it can be anything up to 90.

Prior to that I was doing 35 miles each way, which should only have taken 45 minutes but was regularly 90 minutes plus.
What got me down with that was the working hours. I'd start at 8:00 and regularly be in the office to 18:30 so when you factor in three hours driving each day, it didn't leave me with much of a life Monday to Friday and I couldn't stick it for long !!!

I know what you mean, I regularly work 10 - 11hrs and then have to drive home anyway,, so I think in that respect it will be fine

Lizzy, its prob 7 years since I moved but I used to commute from Worsley round the m60 to handforth. I had to move after a year as I was just spending too much of my life stuck in traffic jams. I moved down to nottm, my commutes now has options of car bus or tram, so I can choose which I feel like.

Personally the thought of m62 commute in rush hr, brings me out in a cold sweat.

approx 12 miles each way to regular office. If have a car park space in the basement can be 25-40 mins, depending on if I time avoiding the school run. Coming home about 30 mins. The good thing is when got the car, a multitude of backroads if the A140 is snarled up. The bad thing is occasionally have to reply on public transport which cannot deviate from the scheduled route and has been known to take 2 1/2 hours after 3 separate accidents in a 7 mile stretch of road one evening. Fortunately had a 3G ipad, phone and good book to keep me entertained.

My start time is 8.30 but often as not im there at 7.45 so even if the commute is awful I'm not late.

I commute by motorbike so never worry about traffic. I travel two different ways depending on weather/time of day as one is through the forest which involves greasy or icy roads and the possibility of hitting a deer, but it is 5 miles shorter than the alternative that is all motorway and dual carriageway. They both take about half an hour which is my 'limit'. I used to cycle 2 miles a few years ago and that was my ideal commute:)

I am self employed and all my clients are less than 7 miles away so never more than 10 mins does me. Every year as I pick up more clients closer to home I drop the further away ones. Used to drive artics for a living and spent my life on the road, on ferrys and sleeping in the truck, wouldn't entertain it now that I am married with kids.

Personally to me train commutes are far more preferable, being stuck in traffic just sucks.

Personally to me train commutes are far more preferable, being stuck in traffic just sucks.

I can't use that option unless I want to at least double my journey time.

Yes. Train or bus.

I find that if I fall asleep on the bus, it hardly ever crashes but I think the car would crash every time if I fell asleep whilst driving it.

I can't use that option unless I want to at least double my journey time.

Bonus - double the sleeping time!

It probably nearly doubles my travel time too but I prefer it. I'm never really in a hurry to get to work.

Steve.

Last edited:
Just a query, am interested in what people think is an acceptable daily commute, i am going for a second interview next week at a job i really want, but its 50 miles away in manchester, the distance is only 50 miles,, but its the M62 and who knows how long that can be some mornings
My commute is 90 miles each way 5 days a week.
I use the m6, it's not the job of my dreams but it pays well, I wish mine was near the 50 miles mark again lol :)

Yes. Train or bus.

I find that if I fall asleep on the bus, it hardly ever crashes but I think the car would crash every time if I fell asleep whilst driving it.

Bonus - double the sleeping time!

It probably nearly doubles my travel time too but I prefer it. I'm never really in a hurry to get to work.

Steve.

No thanks.
I'm not prepared to get up at 4 and not get home until maybe 8pm...or double (at least) the cost.

It amazes me that people have 90 odd miles each day to / from work. Occasionally I have to go to head office c 160 miles each way or another regional service centre - 100-350 miles away but the former is approx once a month, and the latter about once every 3 months - deal sweetened by very nice hotels and a generous allowance for an evening meal / beer etc.

It really depends on where I'm working as it could be anywhere in the world, I think my longest commute for work so far has been around a 12,000 mile round trip...

A long way indeed!
But....doesn't qualify as a commute unless it's done on a regular basis.
Just sayin' :p

I forgot to mention that before we moved to Cornwall while working in London we used to live in Spain and commute to London - that was about 1500 miles each way, but the drive home from the airport was wonderful when the almond blossom was out with only the odd donkey to overtake and the occasional farmer to wave at..

A long way indeed!
But....doesn't qualify as a commute unless it's done on a regular basis.
Just sayin' :p

At the time I was doing around 200 flights a year with work, I was pretty much exclusively working outside the UK.

When the only way you get to work is a plane (or several planes) and that's fairly permanent, it counts.

Just sayin'. ;)

Because of how I work I don't have a regular commute, I wish I did sometimes!

Last edited:
At the time I was doing around 200 flights a year with work, I was pretty much exclusively working outside the UK.

When the only way you get to work is a plane (or several planes) and that's fairly permanent, it counts.

Just sayin'. ;)

Because of how I work I don't have a regular commute, I wish I did sometimes!

Yeah I can see how a bit of routine sometimes might make a nice change!

Reactions: PMN
I would say that doing 100 round trips per annum counts as a reasonably regular commute!

Very often, Mrs Nod can work from bed! Mind you, that's only when she's answering queries from people who can read the front page of her site and navigate to the page where her e-mail addy and phone number is but not to the clearly marked and easy to find schedule page...

Just a query, am interested in what people think is an acceptable daily commute, i am going for a second interview next week at a job i really want, but its 50 miles away in manchester, the distance is only 50 miles,, but its the M62 and who knows how long that can be some mornings

Hi Liz,

Just a suggestion - but you could try putting your post code and the pc of the potential new work place into Google Maps (directions.)

It will then give you the travel time including estimates for traffic based upon the information it receives about traffic flow. It varies at different times of day - so worth entering this at the time you would travel. I tried this for a job I was considering a while ago - and it told me enough to persuade me not to apply!!

If I remember correctly it will also give you train time estimates too.

Hope that helps!

Mine is now down the stairs from bedroom to office.Probably about 30 feet. When I had a sensible job it was about 9 miles each way. Although the furthest I've done was 120 miles (used to stay over Monday - Thursday nights)

No thanks.
I'm not prepared to get up at 4 and not get home until maybe 8pm...or double (at least) the cost.

That's the problem isn't it?
They'd like to encourage more people to use public transport, but it's overcrowded, unreliable and for me even if it's running on time it's a 2 hour trip each way (vs 45 minutes drive) and don't get me started on the cost.
I sat down once and worked it out. If I just wanted a cheap runabout car, I could buy one, tax it, insure it, pay for a year's petrol and still save money over what it would cost to use public transport for a year!

Last edited:
That's the problem isn't it?
They'd like to encourage more people to use public transport, but it's overcrowded, unreliable and for me even if it's running on time it's a 2 hour trip each way (vs 45 minutes drive) and don't get me started on the cost.
I sat down once and worked it out. If I just wanted a cheap runabout car, I could buy one, tax it, insure it, pay for a year's petrol and still save money over what it would cost to use public transport for a year!

And that's just it. Sue pays £5k per year for her season ticket but she also has to pay £1k to park her car at the station!

Back