How loud is your camera?

…may well be but you're out of topic
since noise is the point here!

Praise from Caesar but I was adding balance after your sweeping and incorrect statement.

What's your excuse?

Golly that is a sweeping statement but perhaps you're behind the times.

I suppose it depends on what DSLR and mirrorless camera you compare and by the way the mirrorless camera doesn't have to be a rangefinder style camera as SLR style cameras are available too but generally speaking as mirrorless cameras now run from MFT sensors and indeed smaller through APS-C and on to "FF" I think that the image quality is there and so are many other features and abilities.

Ergonomics and the OVF v EVF debate can be done to death and people will never agree but excluding image quality for a moment I thought that DSLR's only had a clear (or clearish) lead in focus tracking and battery life. Everything else, arguably, may be up for argument :D

Mirrorless (Fuji/M43/Sony) image quality wise are up there with DSLRs, especially Fuji for weddings/portraits and the Sony A7 full frame series for everything. But the big area that Mirrorless doesn't yet compete is sports and wildlife where you need the rapid fire of the Canon 1DX or Nikon D5. At a sporting event, the noise isn't an issue (unless it's darts or snooker ;) ) but for wildlife stuff, the serious pro photographers tend to use camera covers to suppress the noise. I've also seen these used by photographers at certain events. Perhaps a good idea for the wedding vows.

Camera Muzzle: http://www.adorama.com/czm.html
Not particularly convenient if you want to change lenses though.

I shoot my club's cricket matches with a Canon 7D MkII, and it is reasonably quiet at 10fps. At one game, another tog was using Nikon gear (not sure which body) and the players were complaining about the noise of his shutter from the middle. This is not a knock at excellent Nikon cameras by the way, before it starts :)

I have also shot a wedding reception using the 7D MkII's silent mode, and it was indeed very quiet. I didn't buy it for this feature, but it was very impressive and unobtrusive.

At one game, another tog was using Nikon gear (not sure which body) and the players were complaining about the noise of his shutter from the middle. This is not a knock at excellent Nikon cameras by the way, before it starts :)

Flip! Could understand that at golf, but really - at a cricket match?

I've found my D750 and the d7200, d7100 and D90 before all has fairly loud shutter 'slap'. Recently tried a D810 and found the shutter noise very dampened.

My 80D is a lot quieter than my old 1Dmkiii but I find it a disadvantage as the clatter of the old 1D shutter used to make the birds look at it ,you can't win them all

Does silent mode on a DSLR = "electronic" shutter?
No.

There was a DSLR (or some) with an electronic shutter, but modern DSLRs have a dampened mirror movement that quietens and slows them down a little.

Does silent mode on a DSLR = "electronic" shutter?
No, it's still the same shutter mechanism only they slow it down, so it also affects the maximum number of frames a sec. However it works really well, I keep my camera on it all the time.
I also have a custom mode set that turns off all beeps, doesn't display the screen/image after a shot, and sets the starting point at 1/125th sec shutter and f7.1

So we are onto two pages, but no one has yet presented any empirical evidence of measuring the sound from the camera in use to accurately compare the noise.

http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/measuring/sound-meters/345/4-in-1-environment-monitor.html

....and for the subjective record, the Bronica ETRS was the noisiest, due to mirror slap, whilst the quietest was the rangefinder Werramatic, which had a gorgeous built in lens diaphragm shutter that was silky smooth.

I seem to have the full range covered. My EM-5 ii can operate in complete silence. My Nikon D3 has over 400k actuations and sounds like it's last one is due anytime now! Very satisfying noise though, especially when machine gunning it for the sake of it. My Bronica SQAI must register on seismograph somewhere. You can feel it as much as hear it.

My Canon 6D is much quieter even in standard mode than my old 60D. If I put it into "silent" mode, it's quieter still. I did mean to get a side-by-side video comparison, but sold the 60D before I could manage it.

the D3 is loud - fun to watch people duck when you have it on CH.

My Mamiya 645's silent mode is turned right down, still makes people 100 yards away look around to see what made that noise.

Of my Pentax DSLRs the loudest was the K10D, my GF's sister bought the Samsung equivalent (GX-10) and complained about the noise - wasn't subtle at all - had a conversation about this over the phone, she rattled off a few frames and then I picked up my Pentax Z-1p. She stopped moaning after that. I have a Z-1 and Z-1p. I bought the 'p' new in 1995 and is one camera I will never sell even if I shoot very few rolls of film nowadays. It is louder than the Z-1 which is very similar, but older - you would expect the newer camera to be more refined. The oddest thing is that, even though the body shapes are identical I cannot use the Z-1p without a grip, but I cannot use the Z-1 with......

Back