Beginner how many cameras is enough

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
just wondering how many cameras is enough. I was cleaning out my closet the other day and i found a camera i totally forgot about. I have 5 cameras, to me that's a lot but to the photography buffs that is a small nb.​

If you think you have enough cameras then you probably need professional help ;). Photographers ALWAYS need another camera, a newer lens, and a better flashgun (at the very least) Add in an extra bag, a four legged tripod and those odd filters you saw at some show but will never used, and you then need an assistant to help carry it.
Of course the assistant will now need a few cameras, lens, flash etc etc etc................ :exit:

Last edited:
5. You have 5! I have just over 50 (I don't count them so I can honestly I do not know) and I currently have another in the post. Only 3 flash guns and 1 tripod, mind. 4 bags which, to be honest, is not quite enough.

I've never got into the camera collecting thing, so for me the answer is as many cameras as will do the things you need to do with a camera. For most people that's likely to be 2 or 3 (1 main camera, 1 lightweight travel camera and 1 special camera - IR adapted for example) but I can see why some would *need* more.

Curiously enough I also own 5 working cameras.

In my (current) main system, I have 3, each with a different zoom range fitted - cuts out lens changing!
In the Nikon FF bag there are 2. Plus a couple of 1 series bodies and an F-T1 adaptor for using FX mount lenses.
A couple of bridges and several compacts round out the digital kit.
Not 100% sure what I have on the film front - been a while since I searched it all out.

It's possible to have too few cameras and enough cameras but never too many!

I've never got into the camera collecting thing, so for me the answer is as many cameras as will do the things you need to do with a camera. For most people that's likely to be 2 or 3 (1 main camera, 1 lightweight travel camera and 1 special camera - IR adapted for example) but I can see why some would *need* more.

Curiously enough I also own 5 working cameras.

This.

I only keep the cameras I use. I also lend my cameras to friends, so it feels like I have less than I actually do. But my desk is covered in vintage lenses, most of which wont mean much to anyone but me.

1 main digital, 1 travel digital, an old spare digital I lend to people. THen a rolleiflex, mamiya 645, my Olympus Oms and rangefinders. Of which, most will go when project is over.

I have an older DSLR (Canon 30D), and my wife has a Panasonic TZ9 for travel. I've also got an F2 and FM. No plans to replace any of them or buy any more cameras.

I have two but I'm caught up in the constant upgrade cycle.
I have no shame.

I don't know how many cameras I have. I know they breed in cupboards drawers etc. so.......

... And one day those little point and shoots will grow up and have little point and shoots of their own - The Testament According to Kodak.

... And one day those little point and shoots will grow up and have little point and shoots of their own - The Testament According to Kodak.

When Kodak said - You take the picture, we do the rest - they didn't mean just developing the film...

Currently own eight. Three Canon Dslrs (one FF and two APS-C) but one was given to me and I haven’t used it (300D). One digital compact Olympus 5060 (rarely used but my dad bought it for me). Three film SLR and two film compacts. I still have the urge for just one more camera! :eek:

I think I only have 8. A Fuji X10, because it's useful to have a fairly compact good quality digital camera for the grand kids and stuff. A Pentax ME I bought from new, but it's broken and A priority only, but just couldn't sell it. A pentax LX for colour film, because it has the greatest meter ever made. A Pentax MX for black and white film because, well it's wonderful. An Olympus mju II because it's useful to have a fully auto full frame camera you could slip in a shirt pocket. A Minolta Autocord because, well, everyone needs a MF camera and a TLR. And a Zeiss folder because it was my father's (though annoyingly, it's a 6*6 folder he bought late in life, and not the 6*9 folder he used for nearly all his photos). Oh, and an Olympus Trip 35 because everyone should have one. Though, to be honest I've not used it in years, it's probably surplus, and should probably be sold and replaced by a rangefinder!

Actually, this thread contains no pics and should probably be in the Talk Film & Conventional section!

I have the following film cameras in the house
35mm lot by J Roberts, on Flickr

plus the D3100 & 350D (son has the 1330D & Wife just got the EOS M3 ) & Fuji HS30EXR

Last edited:
I have the following film cameras in the house
35mm lot by J Roberts, on Flickr

plus the D3100 & 350D (son has the 1330D & Wife just got the EOS M3 ) & Fuji HS30EXR
Give it time. They can only breed so fast.

What is this word " Enough " ?????? o_O

I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to how many cameras I have/want, in the sense of collecting and using. Currently I have 'only' six, with one up for sale. Of the five then, I plan on using two, and one of the remaining three is an insurance policy for my go-to camera. I'm certainly not a proper collector, but I have to admit the FM3a I have does look fantastic on display, so I could never knock the collectors for not using all of what they own!

2 is enough for me, each fitted with a different focal length lens

On any job or hobby shoot I switch constantly between them but I've never felt like a 3rd is needed; and if I'm being totally honest then the second is really to make sure that if one has a fault I can keep on shooting - so the real answer is 1 and a backup for peace of mind / ease

More than 2 that do the same job is being a collector rather than a photographer IMO

Dave

Well for ordinary amateurs and 35mm if you see cameras going for peanuts buy, buy, buy as it's great fun playing with different makes of cameras, of course you'll end up with a pig's breakfast of lenses when really it's better to settle on one make and get a full set of lenses for that camera....but then it's also fun playing with different makes of lenses.
So in hindsight all I should have settled for was a M42 camera, a modern SLR, an AF SLR...and a medium format camera....e.g. Chinon memotron m42, Nikon FM, Nikon F4, Bronica ETRS

I use a variety of film cameras with a range of of film, including but not exclusively 110, 126, 127, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 5x4 film sizes, so two cameras definitely not enough. So as others have said N+1 :D

Last edited:
Now that the D850 is here, I'm down to 1 for the first time in many many years!

Have between 20 & 30 with doubles on Nikon F3's, Olympus OM1's & OM2N's Have 3 F2's (one waiting for repair admittedly) & plotting a 4th but as they all have different finders they don't count as duplicates. My excuse/justification anyway

Did decide last night to let one of the OM2N's go. Deserves to be used & find myself using the OM1's as my go to OM. Will be putting it on ebay later this week to raise funds for that 4th F2.

Wow.... You could buy loads of real cameras for that price....and film :D only kidding;)

Interesting, the thread doesn't specify all (or even mainly, or at least one of) film cameras, and I'm not even sure the OP meant that! I sort of assumed it, since it's in F&C... @shadow314 ?

Especially if it's a 1dx mk2.

Piffle, if you don't take at least 5 different cameras to cover every scenario then you are doing it wrong and making life way too easy. :D

So, should we infer from your statement that one camera is suitable for all scenarios?
Yes, because all the stuff I own is the best and everyone knows it. And I own a 1dx mk2.

Back