How many lenses went up in price today

Aha, so I still have to pay the VAT upon bringing it to UK! I thought if I bought it for personal use then I can bring it in with out paying the VAT :shrug:

Aha, so I still have to pay the VAT upon bringing it to UK! I thought if I bought it for personal use then I can bring it in with out paying the VAT :shrug:

You'd need to check with HMRC, but I'd imagine unless it's only a temporary import and it was going to be re-exported (and you could prove this) then you might not have to.

Of course, that's assuming you declare it at customs...... :police: :runaway:

Thanks, as it so happens I have a rather expensive lens coming from Saudi soon. Though it will stay here for the duration of my studies, but eventually I will take it back home; but with the way I am going I may sell it here.

Figure, my best bet would be to have it declared.

Thanks for digging that out (y), I've downloaded the file on this and will give it a read. Very nice of you to go to such length.

Nope.

You have to pay:
* Customs duty (6.9% on lenses) if the amount of duty is £7 or over
* VAT (15%) if the value of the goods is £18 or over

So for any lens costing over £100 you pay 21.9%.

As Flash says, if it's only a temporary import (as it would be if you were visiting the UK on holiday), then no duty or VAT is payable. But since you're actually living in the UK I think you might struggle to make this argument if challenged.

Stewart,

Thank you for clearing that up, and ouch! 21.9%!

Would that be on the price I paid, or on the price here in UK!

The lens in question is 200-400VR which I've picked up for a really good price back home. If I were to add 21.9%, to my paid price, it would still be 25% cheaper than having bought it here. Otherwise it just wouldn't be practical for me to bring it.

Stewart,

Thank you for clearing that up, and ouch! 21.9%!

Would that be on the price I paid, or on the price here in UK!

The lens in question is 200-400VR which I've picked up for a really good price back home. If I were to add 21.9%, to my paid price, it would still be 25% cheaper than having bought it here. Otherwise it just wouldn't be practical for me to bring it.
Just leave the box at home and bring the lens in with you and say nothing.

Not that easy, as I am not the one bringing it over! My daughter picked it up for me (long story), and I am having a family member (who flies here regularly) to carry it over. So, that would totally rule out removing it from the box, etc.

More importantly, I don't want to be on the wrong side of HMCR, or any other laws for that matter. I've paid dearly to do these studies of mine, and I can't jepourdise this at any expense. Even more important, UK has been more home to me, in my lifetime, than my country (lived here more than 1/2 of my life).

Really??? That's very interesting.

Is that 25% cheaper than this week's UK price (£4100) or 25% cheaper than last week's UK price (£3600?)? If the latter, it implies you'd be paying about £2200 for it out there. Is that abouit right? If so, my brother-in-law is in Dubai and travels all over the area, so I might ask him to pick one up for me....

Really??? That's very interesting.

Is that 25% cheaper than this week's UK price (£4100) or 25% cheaper than last week's UK price (£3600?)? If the latter, it implies you'd be paying about £2200 for it out there. Is that abouit right? If so, my brother-in-law is in Dubai and travels all over the area, so I might ask him to pick one up for me....

I've paid just under £2,600 for it. It is 25% cheaper than today's CPB prices.

Back