How many of you togs also have a compact camera in your bag?

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Feeling a little naked at the mo as my 50D is off at Lehmanns for a couple of weeks. So I'm wondering whether to purchase a compact camera, not only to keep me going, but for using in times when I don't have the inclination to lug the heavy kit around.

So, do many of you have a compact as well? If so, what kind of situations do you prefer to use it in?

I got a cheap deal to Paris recently. Didnt want to pay for any extra baggage allowance so just took my little compact and got some cracking shots. Changed it to black and white mode and got some lovely shots of the tower and all the cathedrals. :) Would definitely do it again.

ive got a sony cybershot compact, but i very rarely use it as the quality is so far from my 40D.

If youre going to get one, get a good one, because even the most basic DSLR and Kit lens runs rings round the cheap models.

Leica make some cracking compacts, but your talking £300, and id rather buy another lens, flash, more studio equipment etc.

Well I only have a bridge camera as my "main camera" at the moment but I also have an olympus Mju compact. It's waterproof / shockproof and comes with me anywhere where I think the panny is too bulky or will get damaged...

i have a panasonic bridge as my main camera, and i did have a panasonic compact which cost me a small fortune and was wonderful for situations where the big camera was too big. but it got stolen, i'd let the insurance lapse, and my financial situation is fairly dire at the moment, so i now have a cheapy fuji compact, does the job for snapshots when i'm out with friends, and i use it like a sketchbook - take a quick snap of something i'd like to come back and attack with my main camera :D

I've got a Fuji S5800 that's used almost as much as my DSLR!!

I have to be in the mood to lug my big camera bag around with me, and with two kids in tow most of the time the Fuji is far more practical!!

I have a Canon Ixus 80 IS that I take pretty much everywhere. I tend to use this one mostly when I'm at work, as it comes in quite useful when I'm out surveying for if I come across something I'm not sure about or need a 2nd opinion on, and also because it's much easier to carry around and take quick shots with than an SLR. To be honest though it's not that well used. It's a great little camera though.

I got a cheap deal to Paris recently. Didnt want to pay for any extra baggage allowance so just took my little compact and got some cracking shots. Changed it to black and white mode and got some lovely shots of the tower and all the cathedrals. :) Would definitely do it again.

Fly with BAA and put all your gear in a golf bag, ;)

It's free.

All my mates did it for kiteboarding ;)

Leica D-lux and proud of it.In fact, there's a perverse argument that a D-lux is less noisy than a D700....

...OK, within reason. You see, I have a tiny G-clamp tripod that I have all the time with my compact. I don't need to bump up the ISO, and I'm not worried about 30 second exposures. Everything could be at ISO 80 if I so chose. I'm not talking about sensor resolution or dynamic range here; naturally, an SLR wins every time. But in the 8 or so years that I've owned this mini tripod, I've yet to find somewhere I can't attach or use it.

Of course, I could carry my big Manfrotto 'pod everywhere - but if there's a member of TP who actually does, then my hat's off to them. Shopping Malls? Morning commute? Visiting other's properties? On business? Nobody minds little old compacts, and even strange micro-tripods. Anonymity, discretion and a good solid base for photos.

I balked when I heard of folks ditching their higher-end SLR gear in favour of the LX3. I wouldn't do that - but I can see why. It's truer to the original street Leica "rangefinder ethos" than even the M8 is.

I have to go away with work and don't want to lug everything with me so picked up a pocket fuji in tesco last week so I could take a camera with me and still stick with just hand luggage.

Fly with BAA and put all your gear in a golf bag, ;)

It's free.

All my mates did it for kiteboarding ;)

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I am too much of a cheapskate to resist the £5 ryanair flights :D

Canon PowerShot A570 IS, with CHDK.
Love it, fits in the pocket/camelbak and goes everywhere with me.

Another Leica D-Lux convert here. It lives in my handbag and I take it everywhere with me.

I have a little gorilla pod that means I can get pics anywhere I like, whenever I like and I don't have to lug around a backpack full of gear. There are times where I want a camera and don't have access to the Canons so the little Leica is a real treat.

I only have a Canon A710 with CHDK firmware, It takes some great shots and the CHDK gives you many of the features normally found on an SLR eg: bracketing, timelapse, long shutter-speeds... even motion detection!
Of course this doesnt make up for and SLR's sheer quality of build or flexibility but for someone like me on a next to nothing buget it's the ideal solution! :)

A little Canon G9. I don't carry it everywhere although I suppose I really should - it tends to get used for family/social type shots. Providing you keep the ISO down it's capable of pretty stunning results.

The nice thing about these little cameras is no-one takes you too seriously and they attract far less attention than a thumping great DSLR. It's genuinely pocketable too- not much bigger than your average mobile phone.

The neckstrap is a PITA, I'd dispense with it if it wasn't for the danger of dropping the camera. I keep meaning to get a wrist strap for it.

Im sure Ive posted this before-----I have a Panny TZ4 that tavels everywhere with me in the glovebox of my car.I cant recommend the TZ series highly enough.With a wide angle and 10x zoom its close to having a mini kit in one camera.Image quality is surprisingly good,obviously not DSLR but more than sufficient and if you have captured a real cracker a bit of time spent in photoshop does the trick.Build quality is excellent and it feels good in the hand.For a non-DSLR camera I am amazed at just how good these compacts are.Owning one has got me hankering after an M8 but I dont think Im going to be able to squeeze that past the Boss.The most exciting thing for me about owning one is that it has given my photography a new lease of life as I am now taking pics in situations and places that I would have missed previously through a lack of kit. Go ahead and get one. (y)(y)

Panasonic LX3. Usually with me when I am out and about without my gear.

Chris :)

Nikon Coolpix is my 'other' camera. Loads of features, and a quick turn on Gimp improves pics no end!! Wouldn't be without it. Also fits on my scope for digiscoping!

I dont have a DSLR yet but seem to get some nice shots with my Canon Ixus 950IS ( see my gallery for the sort of shots it takes). because it is so small I always have it with me so get shots that I would miss out on otherwise. I'm saving for a DSLR but will always keep my canon Ixus in my handbag.

Canon Powershot A570 with me when I don't have my DSLR.
Great results, but don't know that I'd want to put more money on a P&S.

I haven't as yet however I do fancy a Olympus mju850 tough things

I've got a Fuji S5800 that's used almost as much as my DSLR!!

I have to be in the mood to lug my big camera bag around with me, and with two kids in tow most of the time the Fuji is far more practical!!

Snap! I'm exactly the same with my trusty Fuji S5600. Although your's is a "step up" from mine's, it's a superb little camera, isn't it? And I feel happier taking that to work and everywhere with me rather than my trusty D40. Well, I do work in a greenhouse!
I also have a Fuji A900 as a "back up" knockabout camera. :D

I own one but only tend to use it for social events like nights out with friends. For any occasions where I want good quality photo's I take my SLR.

Up until yesterday i've had a ancient Ixus V3 as a pocketable alternative to my SLR kit. However, I weakened on thursday and ordered a nice new Panasonic DMC-TZ6. Considered the LX3 but to be honest, the versatility of a longer zoom on the lens won out over ultimate image quality and full manual control. If I want that i'll get the SLR out. So far, I have to say I'm well impressed with it.

Although your's is a "step up" from mine

Don't be so sure of that! I really like my S5800, but apart from the extra 4MP I prefer my old S5500. Much better images, just not enough room left for big crops, which I often do, although I do like the much bigger screen and the flash is better on the S5800. Swings and roundabouts again but I'm seriously thinking about going back to an S5500!!

I have a Nikon coolpix, but it doesn't get much use as I nearly always have my DSLR , couriously when I came across a massive fire recently with no DLSR I went for my 5mp moble phone rather than the Nikon in the car, the Nikons better but the phones very quick and convenient.
Wayne

I don't keep a compact in my bag - it stays in my pocket when I'm carrying it or it's strapped to my arm if I'm snorkelling. It's an Olympus Mju 770 SW and while it certainly can't compete with the SLR for image quality etc, it CAN go where I wouldn't dream of taking the SLR (OK, I can dream about a proper sub-aqua housing for the D70 but that's a bit excessive for snorkelling!!!). If I'm not expecting to take photos but see something that deserves snapping, my 'phone does a reasonable job and gives decent prints up to 5x7 (or even A4 if I'm not being fussy).

Canon G10 in my handbag everyday. It also doubles as my diving camera.

Every time I go to buy a decent one I end up buying something else for my D-SLR instead... I'll get around to it someday! :D

i have a canon ixus 80 IS Smashing camera.

however does anyone carry a disposable camera in their car just in case of a RTC?

Got a Panasonic Lumix LS80 that I picked up on the cheap, mostly used for social gatherings and the like. I wouldn't mind an LX3 to fill in the gap between compact and DSLR, but I'm pretty sure I won't use it as much as I'd like.

ive got a panasonic tz4 awesome little camera its nice to have the 10x optical zoom.

Back