How not to clean your sensor

Oh dear oh dear. Just that bit of tissue paper between the sensor and that steel ruler! :eek:

is that a joke?... :eek:

whilst we're on the subject...I need to acquire the various bits of kit for sensor cleaning - recommendations > links?
I've not done it before but given the vast numbers of people doing it successfully it can't be that hard!

shiato storm said:
is that a joke?... :eek:

whilst we're on the subject...I need to acquire the various bits of kit for sensor cleaning - recommendations > links?
I've not done it before but given the vast numbers of people doing it successfully it can't be that hard!

Warehouse Express and local toy shop (Early Learning Centre is good).

1. Plastic glue spreader from ELC. (Those white ones you used as a kid)...or if you have children, get them to badger the teacher for one :p (Preferably new). Picture of one here

2. Eclipse Cleaning Fluid @ Warehoue Express - £7.99

3. Pecpad wipes @ Warehouse Express - £5.99

4. Guide to do it Here.
It's commonly known as the Copperhill method, and can also be viewed by outdated links which link to his PBase gallery :)

Anyone who's done it will tell you that although it's quite nerve racking at first, it really IS a doddle (providing you're careful of course).

ah yes, was wondering about those spatulas from a craft shop of sorts...wasn't sure on diensions though for a 1D needs to be 16mm (at least the sensor swipes are that width...and also extortionate too!!)...
cheers for info :notworthy: :banana:

i got a load of pecpads off ebay, still meaning to do a review on those...

Ahh the 1d, our very own Matt has a 1d, and is a regular sensor-scrubber :D

I'll point him in the direction of this thread,
I'm sure he uses the very same type of spreader things.

right, just popped down to ELC to pick up spatulas...spatulae?...amidst much ammusing looks from [a few yummy] mummies. they're slightly different to the picture above - rather than a wide rectangle face the 'head' is more triangular shaped - still has the flat edge and its 16mm by a stroke of magnificent luck! the though handle is a weird 'easy grip' type design. for 50p is no great loss if it's no good, certainly better than the - what was it? - 10 swabs for £1,000,000? might have a scout around local arty-farty craft shops to see the variants on ye olde play school spatula (never knew there was such a need for different designs but there you go!)

Based on your reccomendation S S I've made an investment in 10 sensor spatulas disguised as glue spreaders.

If I scratch my sensor with them I'll blame you*.

* not really
:)

Oh meant to say... I can see the method in the pictures working and doing no harm in skilled hands. The 'tool' does not touch the sensor and soft spatulas are just an insurance. I'll continue to play safe though :)

You're marrying Sue? Congratulations! :D

Steep said:
You're marrying Sue? Congratulations! :D

Nah, better than that....he's planning on leaving her all his money without marrying her! ;) :D

I have to get round to giving my sensor a clean I think......there are more specky bits on any blue skies I'm fortunate enough to capture than I even want to think about!

and so does scotch tape too...

my ten spatulae arrived this morning, pads and fluid too so I'm all set. ten plain white spatulas for less that £3, beats the quite ridiculous price of £30+, but if spending more than 10 time you need to for cleaning stuff makes you feel better so be it. I shall try things out on a few glass microscope slides before I try it on my camera. practice makes perfect and all that...

Mine arrived too. They look promising.

glue.jpg

I've been using a home made soft spatula previously - this should be easier.

I practiced on a lens filter before the real thing. It shows any escaped dust and residuals from the cleaning well. Proved to me that more than one pass is usually needed.

Back