Tutorial How to develop your first B&W film.

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
The first time I tried to develop a film I was forced by my mother to work on a picnic table in the middle of the lawn. She would not allow me to bring 'chemicals' into the house. I tried to explain that most of the contents of her cleaning cupboard were far nastier than any of my photographic stuff but she would have none of it.
I have that discussion with my OH at regular intervals! I suspect if I developed C41 my claim that my chems are much less harmful than her chems might be a bit less true!

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Thermometers... I have a very robust thermometer in my "dev kit". The main problem is that it is VERY slow to adjust to the temperature. This makes getting the water to 20 C, either by adding warmer water (as now) or cold water (the occasional summer warm spells) very time-consuming. Does anyone have any recommendations for a faster reacting thermometer? When I search just now for digital thermometers I mostly seem to get ones for people, with restricted range! (Little known side effect of Covid!!!)
Anyone?

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't help. I've used the same Paterson certified mercury thermometer since the 1960s. It's fast acting and accurate. Being paranoid about breakages, I have two spares just in case. Mercury reacted faster than spirit filled ones. I have never used a digital thermometer as far as I recall for anything.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Thermometers... I have a very robust thermometer in my "dev kit". The main problem is that it is VERY slow to adjust to the temperature. This makes getting the water to 20 C, either by adding warmer water (as now) or cold water (the occasional summer warm spells) very time-consuming. Does anyone have any recommendations for a faster reacting thermometer? When I search just now for digital thermometers I mostly seem to get ones for people, with restricted range! (Little known side effect of Covid!!!)
Sorry Chris, I had intended to reply, and then promptly forgot.

I use a digital thermometer - it is listed as a meat probe thermometer, but reads from (I think) -50C to +250C. It is fast to respond to changes, and was cheap (about £10-£15 if I recall).

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Sorry Chris, I had intended to reply, and then promptly forgot.

I use a digital thermometer - it is listed as a meat probe thermometer, but reads from (I think) -50C to +250C. It is fast to respond to changes, and was cheap (about £10-£15 if I recall).
:agree:

This is the one I use (Amazon link, £6.50)

dmb

Edit My Images
No
@ChrisR The TP101 digital thermometer I routinely use is available from Amazon for £5.59 (search PPpanda thermometer - same model as @Harlequin565 just different label). Some other similar ones have a blue backlight which is a pain when actually using in a darkroom. However I always do routine sanity checks on all my digital thermometers against my certified lab thermometer. One digital changed from being only 0.8°C low at 20°C to being 6.8°C low across the range 0-100°C overnight.

Last edited:

sirch

Official Forum Numpty 2015,FPOTY 2020
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a digital kitchen thermometer that was pretty accurate but it stopped working so I bought exactly the same model and it was several degrees out at 20C and even worse at 38C so as @dmb says do check any digital. I use a paterson spirit thermomoter for 20C (covers around 10-30 IIRC) and it seems to react quickly enough, having tried all sorts of thing for 38C I splashed out on a https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kaiser-precision-thermometer-1740-p.asp becuase I got fed up with no two cheaper thermometers giving the same reading. Even a digital medical thermometer was found to be reading incorrectly.

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ah, thanks folks, I do have a digital meat thermometer that I never thought of using! I'll give it a whirl next time I have a dev session... and check it against the analogue one to be sure...

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ah, thanks folks, I do have a digital meat thermometer that I never thought of using! I'll give it a whirl next time I have a dev session... and check it against the analogue one to be sure...
Works a treat! And the meat thermometer was spot on against the analogue one, just 20 times faster. Thanks folks...

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Works a treat! And the meat thermometer was spot on against the analogue one, just 20 times faster. Thanks folks...
i used a digital food thermometer for a while as an alternative to spirit filled ones as I am hopeless at keeping glass ones in one piece.

It was accurate , and , I found, easier to read at a glance, however it died a death just as quickly as previous thermometers when the business end containing the electrics threw a wobbler when it came into contact with liquid!:wideyed: :LOL:

I’ve resorted back to glass spirit filled .....three of them in fact so as to have back up supplies :oops: :$

Last edited:

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wait until your wife discovers you're using the meat thermometer on your "chemicals" ..................... :eek::)
I'll try to explain that the chemical in question is di-hydrogen oxide, only generally fatal in large quantities... which might then be coming my way!