Beginner How to fire speed light off camera with Nikon D3500.

Name
Conan
Edit My Images
Yes
hi everyone, after asking here what I would need for portrait photography, I have settled on what I am going to get. Going to go for a speedlight, reflector, backdrop and stand with a soft box.

I am just unsure how to make the flash fire when I take a photo on the D3500. It is an entry level camera, I've heard about slaves so would I also need to get myself one of these to go on my camera to control the external flash, or is there another way such as setting the flash to fire using my on camera flash to trigger it?

Thank you all for helping me. I feel I have got to grips with my camera now, being able to change settings is now second nature.

What’s your budget regarding a speedlight ?
I have slowly switched over to the Godox flash system
For less than £100 you could purchase either TT350n TT685n unit I have also seen both of these complete with the off camera X1Tn trigger.
One of the Big pluses with Godox is cross compatibility, with the correct trigger I can use the Godox nikon speedlight with my canon Fuji Olympus cameras.
Or you could just pick up a 2nd hand flash and there are plenty of cheap triggers available to fire the flash off camera.
Some speedlights even have built in slave units ie: Nikon older SB26 is a superb unit for off camera flash as this has a built in slave that could even be fired from your pop up flash.

hi everyone, after asking here what I would need for portrait photography, I have settled on what I am going to get. Going to go for a speedlight, reflector, backdrop and stand with a soft box.

I am just unsure how to make the flash fire when I take a photo on the D3500. It is an entry level camera, I've heard about slaves so would I also need to get myself one of these to go on my camera to control the external flash, or is there another way such as setting the flash to fire using my on camera flash to trigger it?

Thank you all for helping me. I feel I have got to grips with my camera now, being able to change settings is now second nature.
when you asked about flash, you were given advice to buy a Godox to make the triggering system and upgradeability easier

I must say if you want a more experienced flashlight photographer Phil V is your man with a vast experience and knowledge in this area.
He is always welcome to answer any questions and help fellow togs.

I must say if you want a more experienced flashlight photographer Phil V is your man with a vast experience and knowledge in this area.
He is always welcome to answer any questions and help fellow togs.
Thanks
I come in handy when the real experts aren’t available. :)

when you asked about flash, you were given advice to buy a Godox to make the triggering system and upgradeability easier
I do apologise if something has already been told to me, I sustained some brain damage after a status epilepticus seizure in 2014 whilst in hospital. My memory isn't the best. Thank you for the advice on the Godox :)

My budget is not a lot if I am honest, the under £100 sounds good to me, I will check out all the links I have been given.

I do apologise if something has already been told to me, I sustained some brain damage after a status epilepticus seizure in 2014 whilst in hospital. My memory isn't the best. Thank you for the advice on the Godox :)

My budget is not a lot if I am honest, the under £100 sounds good to me, I will check out all the links I have been given.
For £100 you can get the Godox TT685 but you'll need to add more for the transmitter.

Though remember when looking at alternatives the TT685 has a receiver built in. I wouldn't look at alternatives though.

Well that went a bit wrong. I looked through Ebay early on Monday and made an order on what seemed the best deal, said it was in the UK as well.

Tracking went live straight away, but didn't update so I contacted them.

I got back a response that was in broken English, saying the item was dispatched on Monday, but it may have been lost, and they will be refunding me, but I can place an order again and it will be sent again.

The price of the listing has gone up though, and l should have checked the feedback before I bought the item, I just saw it was at 98.7% and assumed all was well. When I checked, multiple complaints from the past month saying items not received and awaiting a refund.

When I have had PayPal refunds in the past, it has taken 5 days on my card, and it was my last money.

Guess I will have to wait another week or so until I can make the order.

Back