How to rid myself of that self-conscious feeling.

being quite new to photography i'll go anywhere if i think i can get 'that' shot regardless of who's around, i am a confident person tho - i don't care what people say or think i'm doing something i like. i don't carry my camera out of the bag - i take camera out take the shot then put it away till my next shot - never had any issues. so lets all get out there and keep doing what we love.

I know where you're coming from Mark... I recently (as part of my 52 project) set out to do something simple, to capture all the letters of the alphabet from my local area in a shot.....

8551532730_e0c6846fd7_b.jpg

Plenty of people saw me, no-one asked what i was up to. I did shy away from shooting people's houses for a couple of shots. But it was easier than I thought it might be.

If you're doing nothing wrong - don;t feel embarrassed or intimidated. Be sensible though - I would avoid school playgrounds or parks, just to avoid any potential confrontation or suspicion.

I walk around with the sigma 500 attached to one camera and the other camera and lens in my bag and half of the people look and stare at me like some kind of freak..... but I don't care, I just think... oh well. :D

I just bought a Q Strap thingy as advertised on the forum, having your camera dangle by your side rather being stuck to the front of your chest also makes it easier to walk around and not feel like a freak haha

I have followed this thread with interest as I have also had that "uncomfortable" feeling as well. I also bought a Q strap and having the camera to one side of me helps but bringing the camera up to take a shot publicly still feels unnatural to me.

I'm normally very outgoing, but walking round with my camera I often feel awkward. It's because I think people expect me to be a brilliant photographer because of the size of my camera and lens. I'm sure more confidence will come with more experience.

I like taking sports photos, and after a couple of years of occasionally shooting one team, I was asked to photograph a local cup match. There were other photographers there and I struggled with my confidence level. I was hurrying my shots instead of staying calm. Next time, I'm determined to be more assertive. I was so worried about getting in anyone's way, I didn't position myself well at the presentation. Next time I will shout at the players to look in my direction and move my feet!

I'm normally very outgoing, but walking round with my camera I often feel awkward. It's because I think people expect me to be a brilliant photographer because of the size of my camera and lens

How do they know you are not a brilliant photographer, they will never see your photos. Just think and act as though you are, they don't know any different.

I remember someone saying the best way to stay invisible is to wear a yellow flouresant waistcoat, every one just thinks your there in some official capacity and ignores you

As others have said it can be an awkward feeling if nobody else is doing the same,but I just go for it.

I pop into London with my kit every month or so and most places have tourists there as well so it doesn't matter so much.

It can result in some amusing experiences from time to time though.
I remember the last time I went into London on the Friday before Christmas.
I was attempting to get a shot of the south bank trees reflections in the puddles down from the Christmas Market in Westminster. There were a dozen kids doing their best at being mischievous,and one finally comes over to me and asks "Are you a pap?" :D

May work for some, but as I have always been a bit of a fashion victim there is no way I am walking around wearing a hi-vis waistcoat. (fingers crossed hi-vis waistcoats come into fashion so I can try it)

Confidence is often an issue and I agree the more you go out with your camera the better it becomes...

I don't know many people in my village and still get quite unsure... Yet I can go to London lay down on the floor to get the London eye with everyone walking past whispering and it not bother me!!

I've also been stopped at a reservoir and asked if I was having a conversation with ants because I was again on the floor trying to get a daisy shot... (Giggle)

Do you have anyone to go out with? Sometimes that helps because you're caught up with what you are doing and discussing shots you forget your worries... :grin:

How do they know you are not a brilliant photographer, they will never see your photos. Just think and act as though you are, they don't know any different.

In this instance, they may end up seeing my photos as I was invited along by the local clubs and I've given them a link to them..... and they did make me wear a fluorescent vest :puke:

I did feel a bit better when I saw some of the other photographer's shots on the web though, and that has helped my confidence. Mine aren't too bad :)

So you are feeling self conscious in a group of other photographers?

That is a different matter all together, I thought you meant you felt self conscious amongst the general public walking around the street.

Can't offer any opinion with the photography group thing as I don't do groups...

I used to be very self conscious when out I a busy place with my camera, now it doesn't bother me in the slightest, the more overt you are the better IMO. Using my medium format film Mamiya as a walk around in London was a novel experience, as was using a Bigma as a walkabout lens, but that's part of the fun and experience.

I know where you're coming from Mark... I recently (as part of my 52 project) set out to do something simple, to capture all the letters of the alphabet from my local area in a shot.....

Plenty of people saw me, no-one asked what i was up to. I did shy away from shooting people's houses for a couple of shots. But it was easier than I thought it might be.

If you're doing nothing wrong - don;t feel embarrassed or intimidated. Be sensible though - I would avoid school playgrounds or parks, just to avoid any potential confrontation or suspicion.

What a good idea :D

I guess I used to be the same. Best thing to do in my opinion is just get out and start taking photographs. The more you take the easier it gets till you don't even think about it.

I used to get really self-concious too, made much worse by an incident with the Police, where someone reported me for walking through a family picnic area (on my way to some woodland). They backed off when they saw my photo's, but it knocked me back a lot. The other one is when you get too much attention from groups of youths.

You need to look and act confident (even if your not), your own confidence will put others at ease. If you skulk about then people will get edgy and suspicious around you.
Remember you have every right to be confident, most of them wouldn't have the first clue of how to do what you do ;)

It's interesting that someone has bought this up, because this is precisely my problem. I'm by nature quite a shy person, and I tend to rush my shots, even in quiet places, because I'm thinking that people are going to look and wonder "what is that berk up to with that camera?".

Thing is, my nervous rushing is probably attracting more attention to me that would otherwise be the case.

I suppose the only real cure for this is in the doing.

Im in the same boat. I tend to stand back from a scene, shoot and crop later. My mate will practicaly move people out of his way to get shots, whereas ill shoot as quickly as possible and lower my camera.
I always feel people are looking at me, although in reality when i view my shots back i dont see anyone looking at the camera most of the time.

Since getting more pro gear it has given me more confidence, and im lucky to live in a tourist area (central London) so i find it a lot easier to blend in as almost everyone is walking around with a camera.

I didn't take my camera to Amsterdam, just because it was more of a drinking weekend but I wish I did. Cameras everywhere, nobody caring when people take pictures, it was a real eye opener.

Almost tempted to book another weekend there just to take the camera and boost my confidence a little. Not being the only person doing it will help a lot

brill idea , what an idea for a comp

I feel a bit like this at times, but i generally try to make conversation with people who stop and stare lol. Often on my nature walks i strike up conversations with dog walkers who have been walking the same route for years. Its from them that i found out about the friendly robin who likes to be handfed, the fox cubs who play in the ruins of the Roman fort (although i've not been lucky enough to see them yet lol) and the kingfisher who inhabits that stretch of water :) All things i'm sure i would have found out myself in time, but i passed the time with pleasant conversation and learnt something in the process, win win ;)

Back