Hoya Circular Polariser

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Looking for opinions on the quality of the Hoya CPL range. I see there is a HD, pro 1 and slim versions all available. Is there much difference in quality between all three? Ideally I would have gone for Lee but at over £200 for the new version I doubt I would use it enough to justify the cost. Looking to use it on my Canon 135 f2 L.
I am aware that there is a lot of fakes out there so I would likely purchase from Amazon unless anyone can recommend another reliable source.

I prefer hoya HD as they let more light through than conventional polarising filters. (around 1 stop more light) It really helps with keeping shutter speeds up.

Hoya Pro 1 seem to do the job adequately at a not silly price

I have a HD slim in 67mm - Lovely filter to use & clean imo
I have an Irix in 58mm - very tight to turn & delivery/communication was a nightmare
Haida are also pretty good filters for the money.

I have Hoya Pro 1 polarisers. I often use the HD range rather than Pro for protection of my lenses as I think they are a bit easier to clean, but I haven't gone to the extra expense for the polarisers. I do think the Pro polarisers are easier to clean than the lower range model.

I often use my lenses at the beach which is why I like to use protective filters and why I'm bothered about cleaning them.

Looking for opinions on the quality of the Hoya CPL range. I see there is a HD, pro 1 and slim versions all available. Is there much difference in quality between all three? Ideally I would have gone for Lee but at over £200 for the new version I doubt I would use it enough to justify the cost. Looking to use it on my Canon 135 f2 L.
I am aware that there is a lot of fakes out there so I would likely purchase from Amazon unless anyone can recommend another reliable source.

I would go for one of the lower-density polarisers that are around 1.2 stops rather than the more usual 1.7-1.9 stops, though that's personal preference. Perhaps more important is multi-coating plus a stain-resistant and easy-clean outer coating. Only the best filters tick all those boxes, eg Hoya HD and Marumi Exus, though there are others of the higher density type.

Watch out for cheap fakes. There are a few around and they're very hard to tell from the real thing. The only way to be sure of getting a genuine product is to buy from a retailer supplied by the official importer.

Not sure Lee makes anything to fit, never mind the coatings?

Last edited:
It seems that many are satisfied with the Hoya Pro 1 which is reassuring to know given the reasonable price of that range. It is about finding the right balance between quality and cost when it will just be used infrequently. Still tempted by Marumi as they also seem to get decent reviews.
Thanks for all the replies so far. Any other input would still be appreciated before I make my final decision.

Back