HP Dynamic Security

Hate that sort of stuff.

Yes Steve, I should have. I only print occasionally, the odd letter or two.

Interesting, I have previously seen reports about their inkjets and the "Instant Ink" supply programme but Laser toner 'cartridges' :thinking:

My old laser has printed >40,000 pages over approx 12 -15 years.

When I was still working I could claim the HP toner costs in my expenses. But latterly I tried an off brand compatible that worked fine but was a tad questionable in regard print quality but of note the printer did not recognise the toner cart.

More recently I bought a twin pack (only sold as twin) from a supply who declared "100% compatible". To date it has been great with print quality and the printer tells me is 'genuine'.

PS the printer itself is showing signs of wear & tear internal aging......it takes 2-3 goes at drawing the paper in a lot of the time. But still ok for now :)

PPS compared to the two (Epson & Canon) inkjets that ended up in the skip before I got it, the approx £89 HP Laser has been very green by comparison;)

I held off getting another inkjet for a few years but we needed a scanner again.
Fast forward a bit more I sold that Canon TS8250 and got the Epson ET-8550 :)

Last edited:
When I printed a great deal, prints for framing, I used a Canon, excellent, even with compatible ink. I dumped the HP printer I had a went back to a Canon 3 in 1 machine. The HP unit was a pain to use. I had to keep reinstalling the firmware and it was a sod to connect to wi-fi. The print quality was dreadful too.
It could take you 20 mins to print an A4 letter!

We use a HP Laserjet Pro M404 for letters and my wife's work stuff unless she needs colour and then we use the Canon Pixma MG7750.

I keep the Canon Pro100 for photography prints.

I use Canon OEM in the Pro100 and whatever works in the MG7750 (I got a bunch of oem and third part given to me by someone on a neighbourhood site) and we recently tried a third party toner in the Laserjet that has worked fine. £30 cheaper than the OEM and the same page count. cartridgepeople.com.

Oh that is an interesting read! It makes me wonder....

Our HP printer recently appeared to suffer with a clogged printhead. I'd just bought new inks to put in it. I tried to clean it to no avail and as far as I could see, no inks came out of the new cartridges. My daughter then moved home with her slightly newer HP printer that uses the same cartridges. That worked briefly until the black ran out. On adding a new black, all colours suddenly stopped working.. and the black didn't work either even though that was brand new out of the packet. Putting in the newer cartridges, it seemed they were empty! I found this really hard to believe since I had seen no ink at any point - I know it can go into a maintenance pad, but surely I'd have seen something? Can it get past a completely clogged printhead?

The original HP printer is now destined for the tip. As for my daughter's, I have been reluctant to spend another £50 on ink and possibly not see any results at all. I will see what she wants to do. This article is the nail in the coffin for that printer as far as I am concerned.

I have bought an Epson ET 8550. It arrived this week. I've only run a few test prints so far, but I'm really happy with it. I have my Canon Pro 1 for pigment inks, but I am really pleased that I can print and not worry about ink costs with the ET 8550. It's liberating.

Edit: I forgot to add that my daughter had previously used non OEM inks. So, did it see that and stop everything from working?

Last edited:
Back