HP ProLiant MicroServer Build

Yup. You're going to have to digitise the output of that.... USB/IPcam is going to be a whole lot easier.

I run a virtual machine running ZoneMinder (Linux software) for surveillance in Ms arad85s shop.

Because you want some Neil...

Hmm....

Saw it at ebuyer a couple of days ago at 179. Special offer bargain email promotion...... 179. same £50 cashback from HP offer was available then too.

It's tempting at that price, trying to figure out if I can get 3 gigabit network adapters into one (going back to a pfsense discussion some time back)

Ta - looks like £130 + £80ish for an NC364T and £130 for a couple of 2TB drives, which means I'll need to wait for the next time the cashback deal runs I think. Replacing my kitchen is proving expensive, even doing as much of the work as possible myself, so money for toys is .... limited.

That *is* tempting.

I've specced up my own microserver/NAS build which runs to £420, including 8 TB of hard disks and a Celeron J1900 CPU that should just about cope with Plex HD transcoding.
Buying this and the hard disks comes to £410.

+ ECC RAM
- Single NIC
- Not quite enough ooomph for full HD transcoding

Toughy.

- Not quite enough ooomph for full HD transcoding
Which is why ALL our consumption devices will decode full HD. No transcoding (beyond an original recode to get it into 1080p mkv at a lower bitrate) at all :)

Dabs have the n54l on special at the moment. £108 exc vat with 4gb RAM and no HDD

So for those of you who back up your server, what size disk do you use? If my Micro server has 8TB of data do I need a 8TB drive to back it up or does it compress?

has anybody used their NAS for home CCTV. I'd like to get a camera looking into the rear garden from the living room (where the N40L is). was looking at cameras on amazon but not sure how it links to NAS etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/700TVL-Effio-E-SONY-camera-Focus/dp/B005P75DIC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

any help/ guidance gratefully received :)
Yes. Use iSpyconnect. It'll cope with IP cameras, USB cameras, you name it. It'll do recording, motion detection, everything you can think of. Way better than dealing with crappy Chinese webservers etc. It's free for access within your LAN, fairly cheap to buy if you want to access it over the internet.
There are clients for iOS, Android and other platforms as well as web access too. I really really like it.
On the HP microserver you can run at least 2 HD cams without bogging the CPU down too much.

Hi all, I'm thinking of replacing the noisy R200 in my loft with one of these microservers for many reasons. How are they when it comes to noise level? I hear the latest generation has issues with fan noise... I think noise is the main issue at moment.

Last edited:
don't know about the new ones but certainly the N40L you can upgrade the fan (if you get the pins in the right order).

mines in a cupboard with 4 fans feeding and exhausting anyway so isn't much point doing it.

I have a N54L, if it was in my loft I wouldn't hear it, in fact it would need to be in the same room to hear the fan

Thanks guys. I will check them out and see which generations they are.

Edit: I see they are both G7. G7 looks a lot nicer than G8.

Last edited:
I have several, old N36L and N54L. Both are pretty quiet. Any noise I tend to get is from vibration more than the actual fan. Moving it around, placing something under a foot, etc, usually cures it.

I'd have no issue having one in the loft - just make sure the feet are dampened properly so it doesn't come through and you'd never know it's on. Just be careful next summer if your loft gets really hot though :)

Holy thread dredge batman..

Got to that point where I'm thinking about changing this all about.

I want to change my desk around and this will mean that I won't really have any space for a cupboard like this:

IMG_20160813_131457_zpslngjzma9.jpg

Which is:

HP N40L - 4x 2TB in Raid0 giving ~7.3TB
Startech DAS eSATA - 4x 2TB in Raid5 giving ~5.5TB
One of 2 Seagate 3TB USB drives

Primary data is stored on the HP which is sync'd nightly to the Startech DAS. Critical data (photos, documents) are periodically backed up to the Seagate and rotated off site.

As much as I'd love to just swap the lot out for a Synology DS1815+ as I had a DS1010+ previously and it was excellent I don't think I'd get one for the price of selling the N40L (plus Quad HP NIC, Startech eSATA card), Startech DAS and TP Link Switch.

Half thinking just get another Startech DAS and hang them off the back of the PC in USB3 mode.

Or are there any 4-8 bay devices out there that won't break the bank?

That stuff doesn't necessarily have to live in your desk cupboard though does it?
And to be fair, it's a tiny foot print. You could pop it anywhere.

And having a proper server is much more flexible than a NAS.

That stuff doesn't necessarily have to live in your desk cupboard though does it?
And to be fair, it's a tiny foot print. You could pop it anywhere.

And having a proper server is much more flexible than a NAS.
i dont really want it on the desk and there isnt really anywhere else for it to go.

i do have a few VM running on it right now but in all honesty could live without them.

No loft/garage/understairs cupboard?
In terms of footprint, a DS1815+ looks to be larger (or at least wider) and I can't imagine you'd ditch the UPS.

i dont really want it on the desk and there isnt really anywhere else for it to go.

i do have a few VM running on it right now but in all honesty could live without them.
Could you migrate the VMs to docker containers? I was lucky and for me that worked fine. Pretty amazed the NAS handled it.

But yes the second hand value is next to nothing really :(

Back