I am looking for RAW wedding images

D

Deleted member 89208

Hey!
Anyone I've already annoyed since joining the forum will probably know but my partner and I are starting a retouching service aimed at wedding photographers! :banana:

Honestly she is master with photoshop / lightroom and the work she has done with our own images is awesome, but one thing is missing.... we have no wedding images that we are able to take through post processing and display on our website as advertisement of our abilities, and I think anyone would agree that this important as how else are we going to impact our target market when they reach our website (link below for info, not just a website plug I promise!)

I am asking whether anyone knows where I might look for photographer/s to help us out as my searches online have only brought up stock images which are of course already edited so no use to us. Do you know anywhere online I can get unedited wedding shots to display on our website (and social media) to specifically showcase our post processing abilities? Maybe you shoot weddings or know someone who does who might be able to help? I would love to hear from you! Message me or drop a post or you can contact me through the website.

I would like to say thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered :D it is very much appreciated and will take us one step closer to a successful business doing what we love!

Matt

:ty:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look at doing this a few years ago. I decided not to pursue it for a few reasons, at least for weddings. Please don't thin me harsh for asking these questions but I think you need to be able to answer them.

I had a quick look at your prices - £300 for 500 images. I then had a look at Lavalu (who are a popular retouching service) based in South America who charge $0.26 per image for basic correction (so $130 for 500). Basic correction is defined on their site. They have prices for more artistic retouching too. Why would a photographer use you over a service like this, or someone in India. You need t offer something to persuade someone to part with the cash and as far as I can see you don't.

To get the RAWS you need to offer something that will allow you usage as you need. `if thats retouching a wedding or money I don't know

I had a look at doing this a few years ago. I decided not to pursue it for a few reasons, at least for weddings. Please don't thin me harsh for asking these questions but I think you need to be able to answer them.

I had a quick look at your prices - £300 for 500 images. I then had a look at Lavalu (who are a popular retouching service) based in South America who charge $0.26 per image for basic correction (so $130 for 500). Basic correction is defined on their site. They have prices for more artistic retouching too. Why would a photographer use you over a service like this, or someone in India. You need t offer something to persuade someone to part with the cash and as far as I can see you don't.

To get the RAWS you need to offer something that will allow you usage as you need. `if thats retouching a wedding or money I don't know
Hi thanks for your response. This is a great question and one that is already on my mind, you are absolutely right there is a lot of competition and the bigger companies are able to offer better prices generally speaking. We still have a lot of work to do and I fully intend to be able to answer this in time so maybe I will revisit the post to shout some ideas out?

Re the RAWS I think free work may be the way to go too, does that sort of thing happen on the forum or would you have any advice on where best to advertise?

Edit: Targeting wedding specifically does narrow the market down as far as I see, yes there are competitors but the number of people out there that offer general editing is mind boggling. Perhaps the USP will narrow down the market further when we get there.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
So I decided to have a look at your site, 30 seconds to load your photography page, I only stuck with it to time it, should have left 27 seconds earlier (2 or 3 seconds is the most google expects you to wait)

Now to the retouching page, seriously do you think any of those images will attract a professional photographer? a few light instagram effects and a chicken, all from snaps from a holiday visit, I would expect to see before and after

Look at the professional retouching sites to get an idea of what you need to show

Weddings are not really my thing, but if they were there is nothing on your site to attract me to your services

Mike

So, I presume you'll be paying industry rates for a licence to amend and display these RAW files that someone's going to hand over to you, for you to do "whatever you may" in retouching ?

That's going to be an expensive proposition i'll wager... And, i'm pretty sure that NO professional wedding photographer is going to risk their professional reputation and future bookings by handing over clients RAW files to some random to play with (and for all they know make a complete b****x of!)

of course, if you're looking for freebies, that you can use eventually to advertise your business, then you're yet again going to fall foul of the forum's "Prohibited Content" rule under the "Anything that makes you money (or goods) from our community" section.

and - while we're at it - I think your signature's also falling foul of the rules as well -

Signature
  • Keep it clean, non commercial (if target customer base is photographers), and not in-your-face.
because, presumably, you're targeting us as photographers, and you're going to be charging...

Last edited:
So I decided to have a look at your site, 30 seconds to load your photography page, I only stuck with it to time it, should have left 27 seconds earlier (2 or 3 seconds is the most google expects you to wait)

Now to the retouching page, seriously do you think any of those images will attract a professional photographer? a few light instagram effects and a chicken, all from snaps from a holiday visit, I would expect to see before and after

Look at the professional retouching sites to get an idea of what you need to show

Weddings are not really my thing, but if they were there is nothing on your site to attract me to your services

I have to agree with most of these points.
The photography page took way too long to load.
But before you even get there, the image on the home page doesn't exactly draw you in.
The "retouching" page only shows examples of your editing style, it shows nothing of retouching.
To advertise retouching you really need before and after shots. Based on what's on your site, someone might ask you to process their images, but retouching, I can't see it.
I do see the dilemma, you can't put examples online until you have some, but you can't get examples until someone gives you some work.
But I have to wonder why you want to offer wedding retouching services if you haven't already done some? And surely if you'd done some, then you'd have some examples to put online.

Maybe you need to do a photoshoot yourself, something with proper portraits, then do your retouching on them and put the before/after on your site. Do that first to show what you are capable of before trying to get a wedding client.

To advertise retouching you really need before and after shots. Based on what's on your site, someone might ask you to process their images, but retouching, I can't see it.

yep - maybe something like our supreme leaders website http://www.marcelbooth.co.uk/photoblog/ ;)
(rollover the images for comparison)

If you want some RAW's just borrow a proper professional camera, put your best suit on and rock up at a church some Saturday.

Take some snaps - the contracted photographer will think you're an Uncle Bob, the B&G might just think you're a second shooter, and you can be off with a bunch of wedding shots you can mangle to your hearts delight without having to pay a professional shooter for a licence to mangle their hard won images.

If you want some RAW's just borrow a proper professional camera, put your best suit on and rock up at a church some Saturday.

Take some snaps - the contracted photographer will think you're an Uncle Bob, the B&G might just think you're a second shooter, and you can be off with a bunch of wedding shots you can mangle to your hearts delight without having to pay a professional shooter for a licence to mangle their hard won images.

Except those images would be used for a commercial use and that would be illegal

Mike

with the added bonus that if the family DON'T think your a second tog, you might get your arse kicked... Seriously - if you need test victims, act professionally and pay someone the going rate for them.

By the way @Hemsworths - you may feel like you're being victimised here, seeing as i've commented on a couple of your threads now telling you to stop using us as free advertising and market research. I'm not victimising you, it's nothing personal, it's not just me, I just happen to have been the staff member that's picked up the report of you breaking the rules again. So, to prevent you screwing up again, i'm going to ask you to do something.

Have a read of the rules that you agreed to abide by when you signed up. They're here - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/help/rules/ - I know almost nobody ever reads the rules when they sign up to websites, I seldom do myself. I keep telling Marcel to add a rule stating that we can come around and live rent free for a month at your home every time people use us for free advertising. You don't want that - The server hamster gets seeds all over the place, and Cobra, well... the less said the better. But, there's a good reason we don't like people signing up just to advertise their new business - this website is supported entirely by its paying advertisers and the odd addword clickthrough. Get free advertising and not only are you undermining that, you're also p***ing off the people who DO pay. So they generally report you, and we deal with it - OR they get really p***ed off and cancel their advert as well - and we lose even more money and the powers that be start thinking of pulling the plug.

So, as I've said in other threads - please read the rules, and then join in with the forum - contribute, put something INTO the community before just coming in and asking for a handout. I'd have thought someone from yorkshire would have been brought up better than to behave that way - I know I was (no wisecracks from the wrong side of the pennines if you don't want to end up having to spend christmas with the family instead of coming on here btw.)

£300 off the profit margin of a Wedding photographer is a considerable amount of money.

Perhaps think about offering an end product such as an album too

By the way @Hemsworths - you may feel like you're being victimised here, seeing as i've commented on a couple of your threads now telling you to stop using us as free advertising and market research. I'm not victimising you, it's nothing personal, it's not just me, I just happen to have been the staff member that's picked up the report of you breaking the rules again. So, to prevent you screwing up again, i'm going to ask you to do something.

Have a read of the rules that you agreed to abide by when you signed up. They're here - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/help/rules/ - I know almost nobody ever reads the rules when they sign up to websites, I seldom do myself. I keep telling Marcel to add a rule stating that we can come around and live rent free for a month at your home every time people use us for free advertising. You don't want that - The server hamster gets seeds all over the place, and Cobra, well... the less said the better. But, there's a good reason we don't like people signing up just to advertise their new business - this website is supported entirely by its paying advertisers and the odd addword clickthrough. Get free advertising and not only are you undermining that, you're also p***ing off the people who DO pay. So they generally report you, and we deal with it - OR they get really p***ed off and cancel their advert as well - and we lose even more money and the powers that be start thinking of pulling the plug.

So, as I've said in other threads - please read the rules, and then join in with the forum - contribute, put something INTO the community before just coming in and asking for a handout. I'd have thought someone from yorkshire would have been brought up better than to behave that way - I know I was (no wisecracks from the wrong side of the pennines if you don't want to end up having to spend christmas with the family instead of coming on here btw.)
Hi

Market research yes you got me, advertising was never my intention but I understand if that's how it looks. There is some good advice in these responses, but it is a shame that they that the majority feel they need to be insulting or aggressive to make their point.

I am trying to use my interests to build a business rather than living a life in a job I don't enjoy, I know it's not perfect or finished so thank you to everyone that has pointed that out. For someone that has never started a business before it is not easy and I am learning from my mistakes and trying everyday to improve.

I apologise for breaking your forum rules, you're right I didn't read them but can't argue with what you have said.

For the people that have left a response to this post: imagine how this conversation might have ended if your criticism was constructive and not toxic, I may have been able to apologise for breaking the rules and say thanks and I'll take my research else where, fair enough, but continue to integrate into the community and to grow my knowledge. Instead I'll now be leaving this forum because as a newcomer to photography, business or non, this isn't really the kind of atmosphere that is going to keep me motivated. If that was your intention then you win (y)

Matt,

all the responses in here and other threads have been by-and-large from working photographers or professionals in the industry and allied areas. Have these responses been a little abrupt - yes - why ? well, sometimes, in business the best advice you can get is "don't do it" - and - I'll be honest, the other thread was in the business section - that area is pretty much for the "businessman to businessman" exchanges - it's often abrupt, sometimes harsh, occasionally incredibly so - but, it's all intended to save you making an expensive mistake in a potential career.
And, to be honest, if you're going into business for yourself - you'll need to deal with far more harsh appraisals of your business plans than we'll give you - being in business for yourself requires a thick skin and a brass neck.

So - i'd suggest that rather than leave, you get stuck in - I keep thinking that if you really are so s***-hot at retouching you could be REALLY helpful and valuable as a member in the critique sections and of course in the PP section. Participate, get to know the people in here - we don't bite actually - we may snarl a little when theres someone new who seems to be just here to take and use and not give anything back, but it's easy to win us over... But, it's really down to you.

Hi

Market research yes you got me, advertising was never my intention but I understand if that's how it looks. There is some good advice in these responses, but it is a shame that they that the majority feel they need to be insulting or aggressive to make their point.

I am trying to use my interests to build a business rather than living a life in a job I don't enjoy, I know it's not perfect or finished so thank you to everyone that has pointed that out. For someone that has never started a business before it is not easy and I am learning from my mistakes and trying everyday to improve.

I apologise for breaking your forum rules, you're right I didn't read them but can't argue with what you have said.

For the people that have left a response to this post: imagine how this conversation might have ended if your criticism was constructive and not toxic, I may have been able to apologise for breaking the rules and say thanks and I'll take my research else where, fair enough, but continue to integrate into the community and to grow my knowledge. Instead I'll now be leaving this forum because as a newcomer to photography, business or non, this isn't really the kind of atmosphere that is going to keep me motivated. If that was your intention then you win (y)

All that shows is, you were not really interested in the community, and you were simply advertising your business. o_O

EDIT

Yes, you should stay and get stuck in.

Last edited:

Obviously never watched Dragons Den, you posted in a section mostly used by working photographers, looking at offering a professional service, now you state you are a newcomer to photography so maybe the point is learn the craft and then think about offering services

Mike

Last edited:
Most wedding photographers get the gigs because they have a distinct style that the bride and Groom liked enough to buy thier services.
If I’d booked a wedding photographer after seeing thier portfolio with its distinct style and then my images came back completely different because someone else edited them, I’d be slightly peeved and the wedding photographer would be on the receiving end of legal action.
Where does that leave him/her and where does that leave your company, who takes responsibility?

Also what happens when someone shoots someone’s wedding for cheap and they make an utter hash of it and send the images to you.. you can’t polish a turd, so who takes the rap from the bridezilla, the tog who took the originally crap raw photos or your turd polished varients?

Sounds like a minefield to me

Hi

Well, your apology seems somewhat nullified by your final paragraph; to imagine that anyone is trying to “win” seems rather odd too. Perhaps you are not familiar with the frustration that photographers often feel (pro or not) to be asked to do stuff for the ‘exposure’ or to come along and ‘bring your camera.” Either way, if you decide to go, it is definitely your loss; I wonder why your motivation to learn depends on the perceived tone of responses to your naive request to be provided with RAW files. Perhaps take a step back and do what has been suggested ie stay and get stuck in. Merry Christmas from a Premier Inn.

Last edited:
Most wedding photographers get the gigs because they have a distinct style that the bride and Groom liked enough to buy thier services.
If I’d booked a wedding photographer after seeing thier portfolio with its distinct style and then my images came back completely different because someone else edited them, I’d be slightly peeved and the wedding photographer would be on the receiving end of legal action.
Where does that leave him/her and where does that leave your company, who takes responsibility?

Also what happens when someone shoots someone’s wedding for cheap and they make an utter hash of it and send the images to you.. you can’t polish a turd, so who takes the rap from the bridezilla, the tog who took the originally crap raw photos or your turd polished varients?

Sounds like a minefield to me

This was my initial thought from the beginning of the thread. No top wedding photographer is going to send RAW's off to someone else for them to edit. I'd imagine most of them edit themselves. I guess there's a chance a partner/business partner/team member may do some editing, but it would still be 'in house' & controlled.

The only occasion I could see it is when unsatisfactory images are delivered to the client. In that case, my guess is it would be a CD of jpegs in any case that the 'retoucher' would have to work with. And that issue is between the photographer & client!

I wouldn't send any images off for editing. I don't even shoot professionally. But if I point my camera at a landscape or woodland scene I've already pictured how I want it to look before I've pressed the shutter. Hence I'm the only person who can edit that shot ;)

As a pro wedding shooter what can your business offer me? Editing my pics? I can do that myself already, why would I pay you £300 for something I already have?
Yes it might save me an hour or two, but that said I like my pics they way I do them, and I have the time, even in the busy season. If I was that pushed for time why pay you £300 when I can get them done for a £100 elsewhere.
In what way are yours three times as good, especially as you don't appear to have done a wedding yet?
Are you starting to see the problem here, I get where your coming from, but I'm not sure theres a business model in there at your prices.
Good luck anyway.

Last edited:
This has got me thinking (now you in the last row of the stalls, stop giggling ;) ) though I have no particular interest in social photography.

The previously mentioned off shore services I was under the impression they are or might be more commonly used for such tasks as changing backgrounds, adding or removing subjects....etc in social photography images. But not (never) to PP them in a particular style, because whether it be a wedding or portrait photographer a significant part of what the client is buying is, as I perceive it, the "photographers signature style".

The sort of editing being offered by @Hemsworths may be chosen by some few pro photographers but surely only on the basis of a collaborative 'teaming' where the tog is happy to offer such 'canned' styling rather than his own (possibly due to limited ability in that department?).......................and anyway he mentioned that the prime person doing the editing is his partner not himself!

PS @Hemsworths Matt (and Katey?) as mentioned on this thread and I think others ~ when you ask business related questions whether or not on the business sub fora, you can likely expect mixed feedback depending on the "what", "why" and "how" of the enquiry. There is a lot to learn and share here at Talk Photography and some of that learning (advice) may not always sit well with the enquirer...............but like all things in life 'we' need to be prepared for constructive feedback and digest to learn how to move forwards.

So I hope you see fit to stay as member (you said Katey is also a photographer....perhaps encourage her to join as well) and share, discuss and contribute. You might like it here once you appreciate the benefits.

Last edited:
This has got me thinking (now you in the last row of the stalls, stop giggling ;) ) though I have no particular interest in social photography.

The previously mentioned off shore services I was under the impression they are or might be more commonly used for such tasks as changing backgrounds, adding or removing subjects....etc in social photography images. But not (never) to PP them in a particular style, because whether it be a wedding or portrait photographer a significant part of what the client is buying is, as I perceive it, the "photographers signature style".

The sort of editing being offered by @Hemsworths may be chosen by some few pro photographers but surely only on the basis of a collaborative 'teaming' where the tog is happy to offer such 'canned' styling rather than his own (possibly due to limited ability in that department?).......................and anyway he mentioned that the prime person doing the editing is his partner not himself!
Nah, the Asian processing factories will copy your ‘style’ on request.

I’d suggest there will be a market for high end processing, but like all ‘bespoke’ services, it’ll depend more on the customer service experience than the basic product. It’s not impossible to sell high end services, but it requires a deep understanding of your customer needs.

Matt’s first stumbling block here is he’s considering top end prices for a very ordinary product.

At the risk of stepping into ‘market research’ advice, @Hemsworths the way ‘free’ works in business is ‘quid pro quo’, you start by offering favours, not asking for them.

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to thank you all for the advice given, I've (Katey) taken over the account *mwhaha* and now working on the business full time. I'd also like to think I have a little more of an experience with forums...

A few people mentioned about holiday snaps being used, and yeah, guilty... travel photography is what I really want to do, unfortunately due to other circumstances, that ain't happening any time soon. At least not for less than the 3 months or whatever it is you can leave the country but still be eligible for the NHS! But yeah, I just needed something to put on the site in the mean time, Matt wasn't begging for free stuff, although I can understand it may have come across this way. And it may have been my fault anyway, I told him to ask for advice on how other people got started, oops. Sorry guys!

I've been doing a lot of research, market (and otherwise) and we've adapted the business model, pricing structure etc. I'm attempting to offer some free wedding shoots, but 2 issues - its winter, and people book that in advanceee. But getting there, it's a slow slog but I'm happy with how it's progressing at least. I'm planning on being active on this forum, to learn, develop and contribute!

Hope you'll forgive our mistakes, we never meant to do wrong by you, honest!

K :giggle:

In the USA, possibly. Not in the UK, as long as no trespass or defamation is involved.. Although the idea makes me absolutely cringe.

Going OT somewhat, but church weddings are open, aren't they? I've seen what I can only assume are random locals at the back of church weddings before, I think we might have had a few at our own in fact.

Back