I am one that has the opportunity to capture the wierd world

Thank you. Can't apologise for the English, as I am dyslexic. And at 62 years old I can't change that reality, even though I have tried. So, I do my best as I can. I know many facts about things and what my truth is. Again thank you, maybe you could proofread my text? :p;) And to add I have a thick skin on these things, as people will either accept it as they have a broad mind on these things, or they are so grounded to this planet nothing else exists. :ty:
Just some paragraphs would help with the readability. :)

Thank you. Can't apologise for the English, as I am dyslexic. And at 62 years old I can't change that reality, even though I have tried. So, I do my best as I can. I know many facts about things and what my truth is. Again thank you, maybe you could proofread my text? :p;) And to add I have a thick skin on these things, as people will either accept it as they have a broad mind on these things, or they are so grounded to this planet nothing else exists. :ty:

But it is not black and white... either broad minded or grounded, in your words.

You could be wrong.
Generally, when most people think one way and an extremely small minority think they are 'right' and 'know truths', the majority is probably correct. (There's a B&W statement :) )

Yeh you're probably right. Thank you for your honesty. I had a Franciscan friend who sadly died a few years ago. Realy miss the man. He would say, 'Its your truth' I carry that statement all the time. But I do my best to gather facts along the way. Sadly not all my interactions can come with those facts

There's no such thing as "your truth", only The Truth. This sort of thing is endemic in the modern world, people believing their own "facts" over the established facts that have already been proven. It's that sort of nonsense that got Trump elected.

The nazis were given the technology to start their own bases in Antartica and the moon back in the late 1930's
View attachment 246784
View attachment 246785
View attachment 246786

After WW2 the usa had to get their hands on the nazi lot as they gave them a choice, come and work for us and you won`t be charged with war crimes. The Germans were miles ahead in their Jet propulsion work and had to get the best, hence why you could say Germany put man on the moon.

It's that sort of nonsense that got Trump elected.
... or to put in photographic terms: such claims are 50 pixels short of a full frame. :thinking:

A young mathematician named Hall
had a dodecahedronical ball
the cube of its weight
plus his pecker times 8
was ten times the square root of f*** all.

Not really cogent to the thread but had to get it out of my system.

To quote one of the best (if unintended) comments on the the ufo nonsense...

There was a young man called Bright
Who travelled much faster than light
He set off one day
In the usual way
And returned on the previous night

:thinking:

I'm not a true believer but I do have an open mind. To me it's probably inconceivable that we are the only intelligent life in the universe and if there are actually other "people" out there the only question, UFO and alien wise, is have they been here or is every single report of UFO's a misidentification, hallucination, fabrication or other... We only need one potential alien UFO to be an actual instance of aliens making a craft and coming here to shake the world and answer one of the greatest questions facing us, are we alone?

I do think that there are very possibly UFO type things in our skies which are not conventional aircraft but I think it's possible and perhaps even highly likely that they're made right here on planet earth and are just tech that hasn't been disclosed to the masses yet. That may be the case today but people have been seeing unusual things for a very long time and even if we only go back a relatively short period of time to the 40's and reports of foo fighters I don't think many would think that anyone on earth had the tech to make a UFO type thing and going further back there are what seem to be reports of advanced aircraft going back centuries. Maybe all are erroneous.

As an engineer type of person I'll keep an open and not a closed mind. Maybe one day there'll be conclusive evidence or some disclosure of what our leaders may know. Until then it's just a subject to follow with interest. There's also the underwater USO's to consider too and doubtless they too could be advanced human made tech but as with the flying things the further back in time we go the less likely the earth made explanation is. Unless they too are all misidentifications, hallucinations or just fibs.

The question of are we alone is one I'd like an answer to in my lifetime. I do think that we will have some disclosure and / or contact with aliens at some time be it in 10 or 200 years time or more. I do think it will be a very strange universe indeed if we are in fact alone or if intelligent device making life is so scarce that we never have any proof of or contact with anyone else out there.

Not really cogent to the thread but had to get it out of my system.

How did his pecker (and odd shaped testicle) get into your system?

The question of are we alone is one I'd like an answer to in my lifetime. I do think that we will have some disclosure and / or contact with aliens at some time be it in 10 or 200 years time or more. I do think it will be a very strange universe indeed if we are in fact alone or if intelligent device making life is so scarce that we never have any proof of or contact with anyone else out there.
In an infinite universe it’s vanishingly unlikely we’re unique. It’s also entirely possible that intellectual life is very, very rare. I also suspect that interstellar flight requires technologies we haven’t even considered yet and it may take several thousand years before we have the resources to build them. Given all that I’m inclined to choose “overactive imagination” over any other explanation for alleged UFO sightings.

Time is the other big factor that is often overlooked. Compared to the age of the universe, humans life on earth has been around for for a fraction of a blink of an eye, humans even less, and the time at which humans have had the technology to reach space even shorter still.

The possibility of an alien civilisation rising to a point where they can travel significant distances through space, in the same galactic neighbourhood as us at exactly the same point in time as us is so infinitely small that it is hard to put into numbers just how unlikely it is that aliens are flying overhead and probing rednecks.

Compared to the age of the universe, humans life on earth has been around for for a fraction of a blink of an eye,
Didn't David Atteborough once say something like, if you take the "life" of the Earth as a 24 hour clock we've been here since 1 second to midnight?
Who knows what's truly out there, or indeed already here ( I've seen "The Abyss (y) )

Do hope there are some little green men out there and they come here for a visit.
Would put an end to religion at the stroke of a light sabre, try and explain that one away.

I may be incorrect about this, but isn't the universe considered to be expanding? In which case it's distinctly finite.
I often wonder who’s been to the next galaxy and measured this. I think we should be told. :thinking:

In an infinite universe it’s vanishingly unlikely we’re unique. It’s also entirely possible that intellectual life is very, very rare. I also suspect that interstellar flight requires technologies we haven’t even considered yet and it may take several thousand years before we have the resources to build them. Given all that I’m inclined to choose “overactive imagination” over any other explanation for alleged UFO sightings.

All that may be true but it may also be true that life emerges whenever and wherever the conditions are even remotely survivable.

I don't know if you've looked into this subject before but if not it's worth a look at but one problem is that good books, documentaries and the like are almost lost in an avalanche of rubbish. There are (arguably) some instances of what do indeed look like alien activity on earth and in the space which we see and there's even (again arguably) what look like instances of interaction and contact with aliens or alien tech. Time will tell, but I'd like it to do so within my lifetime.

I often wonder who’s been to the next galaxy and measured this. I think we should be told. :thinking:

Cosmic expansion is measured by how the wavelength of light changes with direction of movement. It shifts to the red as it moves away from us. On a cosmic scale, light is being red-shifted.

Didn't David Atteborough once say something like, if you take the "life" of the Earth as a 24 hour clock we've been here since 1 second to midnight?

OK so it was 2 minutes to midnight whats a few seconds matter eh?
:D
Opera Snapshot_2019-06-05_205700_www.youtube.com.png

The universe extends as far as we can detect, with no sign of diminishing.There is no evidence that the universe has an edge.

The part of the universe we can observe from Earth is filled more or less uniformly with galaxies extending in every direction, again as far as we can see - more than 10 billion light-years, or about 6 billion trillion miles.

We know that the galaxies must extend much further than we can see, but we don't actually know whether the universe is infinite or not.

When astronomers sometimes refer to galaxies "near the edge of the universe," they are referring only to the edge of the OBSERVABLE universe.

Or a gob shot of the forum hamster?

I think... ∞ +x=∞
I would guess ∞ -(∞ -x)=x, but don't quote me on that.

As long as x=square root of -1.

It’s all opinion at the moment. Come back when we have a few thousand faster than light ships and can actually test some of the theories. :coat:

I have a feeling this is going to run round and round, but if you can add 1 to an infinite number, it was clearly not previously infinite.
Yes, it could be.
Here's an exercise:
How many integers are there?
Infinity, right.
How many rational numbers are there?
Also infinity but clearly there are more rational numbers than integers since there are an infinite number of rational numbers between any two integers. So that second infinity is bigger than the first but they are both infinity. And now irrational numbers...even more of those...but you get the point.
The universe can be infinite and expanding.

I may be incorrect about this, but isn't the universe considered to be expanding? In which case it's distinctly finite.
My understanding of this is that it's not the universe itself that is expanding but space ie the distance between galaxy clusters etc. In essence everything that isn't gravitationally bound with in the universe is getting further and further apart from everything else at whatever our best guess at the Hubble constant currently is (opinion is currently divided on this figure but most likely somewhere between 67-73.5 km/second/megaparsec). Whether or not the universe itself is expanding is as you say dependent on whether or not it's infinite which although likely is by no means certain :)

Yes, it could be.
Here's an exercise:
How many integers are there?
Infinity, right.
How many rational numbers are there?
Also infinity but clearly there are more rational numbers than integers since there are an infinite number of rational numbers between any two integers. So that second infinity is bigger than the first but they are both infinity. And now irrational numbers...even more of those...but you get the point.
The universe can be infinite and expanding.

There's an article I need to re-read on the nature of time and infinite division before commenting further. Numbers considered the way you're describing them are an artificial construct, therefore not necessarily useful in this discussion.

Back