I bought a lens today . . . My 300mm f2.8 IS USM ii !!!!!! (Edit : How it goes And some photographs as they come)

Edit My Images
No
Like the title says, I bought a lens today . . . My 300mm f2.8 IS USM ii !!!!!! . . . My first image stabilised lens and boy what a beauty ! - I am looking forward to many an adventure with it. Some say don't bother with teleconverters but I have a rear-element-damaged 1.4x iii so I'll see what happens with that on my first outing.
I don't know if I will need a second battery due to the lens electronics and motors and such.

Oh the things we do !

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/195125710@N06/53347260951/

Nice lens, they are very good indeed by all accounts.

That's a hell of a lens....i am so glad i don't shoot things far away....
It is a baby super tele. Plenty shooters in your line of work use these for posed portraits

I worked many 60hr weeks to save up for it. Only 50hr weeks at the moment. I'd like a 'bag' for it now. I'll just keep 'plugging away' at things until I can get one :)
I would have thought this will fit just fine in most pro backpacks. They usually have illustrations with one inside

It is a baby super tele. Plenty shooters in your line of work use these for posed portraits

I am not in their camp, I don't even shoot 200mm at weddings....never found the need to for 15 years and not going to change now.

They are not me....I am not them, it's not HaHa :ROFLMAO:. My style don't warrant it and I actually dislike that distance.

I said I am glad I don't...I never said I am glad the entire wedding tog profession don't.

Last edited:
Like the title says, I bought a lens today . . . My 300mm f2.8 IS USM ii !!!!!!
I used one of those for a while, on a 1DsII... if nothing else, it will develop your muscles, just carrying it around!

This (heavily cropped) image was taken through it, during an air show on Dawlish sea front...

Rescue helicopter demonstration at Dawlish 1Ds II 7908.JPG

Last edited:
It’s an awesome lens image quality is amazing
I’ve had mine for 10 years same version of yours
The image quality is hardly affected with a 1.4 tc and still excellent with a 2.0

It’s a great lens. You’ll love it.

As for the converter. I sold my 400mm DO II this week in favour of using a 1.4 III with the 300. It really does work well with the 1.4x.

Meant in a positive way.... I hope you can move past the science experiments and start putting it to good use with some cool subjects very soon :)
Indeed. Pheasants are waiting :)

Cracking lens.

Have owned the 400 f2.8 IS L and 500 f4 IS L MKII but sold both as the 300 IS L MKII is just so good even with tc's.

It’s a great lens. You’ll love it.

As for the converter. I sold my 400mm DO II this week in favour of using a 1.4 III with the 300. It really does work well with the 1.4x.

James talk me/ walk me through that choice please ?.......... seen as fixer is in the science stage I'd adore seeing 300 plus 1.4 ext iii compared to bare 400DO ii

Fix I had the 300 earleir version and as with you did some hours to buy then did a shed load more hours for my DO ii hence my curiousity. above ^^^ beyond that I wish ya all the luck in the world

I loathed getting rid of my 300 as above you will adore this lens

stu

James talk me/ walk me through that choice please ?.......... seen as fixer is in the science stage I'd adore seeing 300 plus 1.4 ext iii compared to bare 400DO ii

Fix I had the 300 earleir version and as with you did some hours to buy then did a shed load more hours for my DO ii hence my curiousity. above ^^^ beyond that I wish ya all the luck in the world

I loathed getting rid of my 300 as above you will adore this lens

stu

Reason being for me selling the 400 in favour of using the extender on my 300 II; is that I was trying to get as much money as I could towards a 600mm f4 (mint condition EF III or possibly a new RF)

It was literally just an afternoons worth of random shots that I’d never actually use. But when I do come to use the 400 range again I’ll be sure to post some results.

I will add though. If it wasn’t for me wanting the 600mm so much; I would’ve definitely kept the DO II alongside the 300.
It’s probably 80 - 90% “as good” as the bare 400.
But unless it was a case of needing the money and making a small compromise; or (in my case) money towards a significant investment; I’d have preferred keeping and using the DO II.

Reason being for me selling the 400 in favour of using the extender on my 300 II; is that I was trying to get as much money as I could towards a 600mm f4 (mint condition EF III or possibly a new RF)

It was literally just an afternoons worth of random shots that I’d never actually use. But when I do come to use the 400 range again I’ll be sure to post some results.

I will add though. If it wasn’t for me wanting the 600mm so much; I would’ve definitely kept the DO II alongside the 300.
It’s probably 80 - 90% “as good” as the bare 400.
But unless it was a case of needing the money and making a small compromise; or (in my case) money towards a significant investment; I’d have preferred keeping and using the DO II.
thanks so so much James........you really made me curious with your post..ha and ironcically I also lust after that 600mark iii. utterly out of reach financially for me , Ahh mate all the luck with your quest. . One always needs reach James, but in my case probably not as much as most folks, simply because I make so many hare and deer images and they allow me to get in close, ha ha if I play ,e cards right. If I had more self belief I'd probably never use the EXTs with those subjects but we are who we are I guess

thank you

thanks so so much James........you really made me curious with your post..ha and ironcically I also lust after that 600mark iii. utterly out of reach financially for me , Ahh mate all the luck with your quest. . One always needs reach James, but in my case probably not as much as most folks, simply because I make so many hare and deer images and they allow me to get in close, ha ha if I play ,e cards right. If I had more self belief I'd probably never use the EXTs with those subjects but we are who we are I guess

thank you

Yeah, they’re a lot of cash…

I traded in 4 of my lenses towards it; and decided that if I’m making such an investment; I’ll go brand new.

So I bought the RF.

Of course; what happens. WEX get a mint condition used EF III a mere 2 days later that would’ve saved me 4K.

But, it is what it is…:)

I traded in 4 of my lenses towards it; and decided that if I’m making such an investment; I’ll go brand new.

So I bought the RF.

Of course; what happens. WEX get a mint condition used EF III a mere 2 days later that would’ve saved me 4K.

Is it brilliant?:)

They EF iii and RF look to be identical apart from the mount, no?

So I bought the RF.

OUCH but no going back.and I adore your post about being a kid

No pressure but what do you shoot hoping to see some images.when ya finally open the box that is :LOL:

If you haven't wrapped it there is stiill time:runaway:

OUCH but no going back.and I adore your post about being a kid

No pressure but what do you shoot hoping to see some images.when ya finally open the box that is :LOL:

If you haven't wrapped it there is stiill time:runaway:
Wildlife. Mainly small birds and stuff; but anything that moves basically :D

I’ve still got the 500 II as well currently. Which I was intent on selling after; but I’m considering keeping it now for when I want to go out for the whole day and such.
As the (slight) difference in length allows it to be packed in a much more compact bag to carry around in comparison.

But we’ll see…

Wildlife. Mainly small birds and stuff; but anything that moves basically :D

I’ve still got the 500 II as well currently. Which I was intent on selling after; but I’m considering keeping it now for when I want to go out for the whole day and such.
As the (slight) difference in length allows it to be packed in a much more compact bag to carry around in comparison.

But we’ll see…
"we'll see" has resulted in me keeping what has become quite a collection over the years. all favorites for different things. the few lenses I did sell were instant regrets haha!

"we'll see" has resulted in me keeping what has become quite a collection over the years. all favorites for different things. the few lenses I did sell were instant regrets haha!

Yeah, I’m with you there.

I have considered getting the 100-500 in its place. But I know I’d miss the aperture on my early morning starts on a day out with it.

And I’m certainly not shelling out the same amount that I just have all over again on the (alleged) RF 200-500 to put in its place…

Yeah, I’m with you there.

I have considered getting the 100-500 in its place. But I know I’d miss the aperture on my early morning starts on a day out with it.

And I’m certainly not shelling out the same amount that I just have all over again on the (alleged) RF 200-500 to put in its place…
for wildlife, in most cases, I've always valued the reach so I expect you will love the 600. 100-500 or upcoming 200-500 will be great. But for me, these would be for other uses.

Back