I bought a lens today . . . My 300mm f2.8 IS USM ii !!!!!! (Edit : How it goes And some photographs as they come)

Last edited:
Happy new year everyone ! . . . Okay so back to Talk Equipment : While out taking the photos just above and more of the same after a while in the wind and rain my camera kept 'going to sleep' - It had a 67% charged battery and the 300ii lens attached with all the gizmos switched on. I can't decide if it is an old battery that just didn't like the cold or if the weather caused a glitch (rain strong wind and hailstones). I simply turned the camera power switch off then on again to restore power. I went for a drive and then blasted the lens and camera with the car interior heater vents and a second outing went without a hitch !

I do have a new highest capacity Canon LP-E6NH battery so I'll use this as my nasty weather battery in the future !

I went for a drive today and spotted this car in a car park so naturally I parked up and asked if I could take a photo or two . . . so here is the first one hot off the laptop just now . . . melikey ! (Note I physically could not walk backwards any further - I just got the whole car in shot . . . 300mm prime f/2.8 ISO100 1/1600s no flash lol !

[NOTE: A bit of 'clone' editing done to remove rain spots that looked like white dots and a 'kill' of the blue hue of the sky and sea on the paintwork]

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/195125710@N06/53449277321/

These photos are Section C class Welsh Ponies of cob type I have been informed. I photographed them at sunset on Sunday 7th Jan (2024) at 1722hrs on common land that is a hill known as Cefn Bryn here on the Gower Peninsula (a part of Swansea). 300mm f2.8 ii @ f5.6 1/50s ISO 100.

The second photo is sharpish on the mane of the right side horse but not my best - they were all moving about as they met each other.
I have over 150 likes and comments on social media !

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/199211916@N06/53452500870/

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/199211916@N06/53452084111/

Last edited:
Well never ! . . . I have bought a couple of different strength and brand ND filters and they fit the 52mm drop in holder and also fit the lens . . . One needed filing down to fit without getting jammed in the lens . . . Okay so all is well until I realised some of my non ND photos were not bite-your-hand-off sharp, Oh nooo ??? - On checking everything I see I put the gelatine filter holder back in the lens not the Canon clear filter in it's 52mm holder. A good experience as it gives me confidence in the sharpness of the Canon clear filter and my ability to see when things are awry !

A lovely photo of some great classic British vehicles at a car show today. 300mm ii @f11.0 1/125s handheld iso400.

2Y3A5303 by Stephen, on Flickr

Last edited:
This came out nicely from the car show today . . . 300mm ii f2.8 1/500s iso100 handheld.

zz USM 2Y3A5256 by Stephen, on Flickr

I'll post this to the "I spotted a tog" thread too . . . 300mm f2.8 ii @f5.6 1/125s iso100 handheld.

zzz USM 2Y3A5275 by Stephen, on Flickr

Last edited:
My first deer capture . . . Canon 300mm f2.8 AF IS USM ii @ f2.8 + Canon teleconverter 1.4x iii : So it's 420mm f4.0 @ f4.5 1/500s iso400 handheld.

Margam deer 07 07 2024 by Stephen, on Flickr

Ever since I was taking pictures properly, my dream lens was a 300mm f/2.8 and it was at the time the Tamron SP manual focus lens. Many many years later I achieved my dream and bought a Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8G VR and I loved it. Stunningly sharp lens and sort of light enough to hand hold when panning shooting motorsport which is my main passion. I did regret selling it a short while ago but my next "dream" lens was acquired with a 400mm f/2.8E FL which I will never sell unless one day I'm in a position to by the Z mount version. I'm sure you are enjoying your purchase and getting stunning results too.

Ever since I was taking pictures properly, my dream lens was a 300mm f/2.8 and it was at the time the Tamron SP manual focus lens. Many many years later I achieved my dream and bought a Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8G VR and I loved it. Stunningly sharp lens and sort of light enough to hand hold when panning shooting motorsport which is my main passion. I did regret selling it a short while ago but my next "dream" lens was acquired with a 400mm f/2.8E FL which I will never sell unless one day I'm in a position to by the Z mount version. I'm sure you are enjoying your purchase and getting stunning results too.
I have your next dream lens bought from this very site at the begining of the year...and no, I'm not selling it! :banana:

20240712_102808.jpg

I have your next dream lens bought from this very site at the begining of the year...and no, I'm not selling it! :banana:

View attachment 428485

I just realised I didn't make the post clear but my signature shows, I already own the FL 400mm f/2.8E along with the 500mm f/4E FL. The 400mm lives on my Z9 and it's without doubt the sharpest lens I've ever owned. And yes, it's not for sale.

Well lads I am glad to have joined such a brill 'telephoto club'. All our lenses go from spectacular to gob-smacking. I hope I can do mine justice!

Quite an effort today . . . 0630am wake-up to travel through fog and tight lanes 1 1/2 cars wide and then park on some grassy common land bank then walk up a goodly steep hill and then find an interesting point to take photos from. |Here are some of those photos.

Canon EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III @ ƒ/6.3 420.0 mm 1/640s iso100. Handheld.
2Y3A6890 by Stephen_Photographs02, on Flickr

Canon EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III @ ƒ/4 420mm 1/1000s iso50. Handheld.
just a simple crop to 16:9 2Y3A6562 by Stephen_Photographs02, on Flickr

Canon EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III @ ƒ/4 420mm 1/2000s iso100. Handheld.
First cyclist up Cefn Bryn by The King Arthur No19 2Y3A6403 by Stephen_Photographs02, on Flickr

I am not sure now how big the EF 300 is compared with my 400 do mk 2 on an R3 and before that 1Dx2 body with a 500ii. I can put my current lens on the R3 and put it in the think tank airport limo. With this smaller lens, I can also stuff in clothing as the combo doesn’t fill the space. It might be worth a look and check out the dimensions cf your combo.

I am not sure now how big the EF 300 is compared with my 400 do mk 2 on an R3 and before that 1Dx2 body with a 500ii. I can put my current lens on the R3 and put it in the think tank airport limo. With this smaller lens, I can also stuff in clothing as the combo doesn’t fill the space. It might be worth a look and check out the dimensions cf your combo.
Hi, yeah I had been pondering how to carry my 300 2.8 but for now I store/transport it in a Nikon CL-L1 lens pouch (see just up a bit in post #51), but I have not considered anything more than carrying it on the camera body when walking to a place. I should consider something better so I 'll look into your suggestion - thanks !

Aww, I just gave a photograph away from the 14/July/2024. . . to the woman's professional Swansea Ironman 70.3 winner . . . Nikki Bartlett :

Crop Mod G DPP 2Y3A6462 by Stephen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back