I can't believe I took this!

I haven't done to much Post processing on this yet, I have a raw file so I should be able to fix the sky. What do you think?
Taken not long after sunrise on the banks of derwentwater in the lakes.

DSC_0105-HDR_hf.jpg

Very 'simple' . . . like so many of the best shots, 'the early bird get the worm'. In my humble opinion, any pp will not do it justice . . . I wish it was one of mine . . . (y)

CJS

Cool shot,imo the original is the best one (y).As far as the sky,is there anyway you could maybe clone the colour/reflection from the water?

Fantastic capture, well done -The sky doesn't have to look totally blown, even if it is..... this took about 15 seconds and is pretty (very) messy, but better than white!

9iqvif.jpg

Mega works for me, My eyes are now rolling all over the picture, and not been drawn to the bright sky that was there before.

thanks for sharing (y)

This is my first attempt at sorting the sky. I dropped the exposure in lightroom and then used a layer mask in PS.
I've altered the white balance also.

closeencounter-0105.jpg

An absolutely stunning original shot and this PP'd version really does it for me! I had to go through thread after thread of winter/snow shots for this and I'm glad I did. Thank you : )

It's a lovely shot but it's the perfect candidate for HDR (looks good too) as it is backlit, strong light and dark shadows.

If you don't fancy that, try a haze reduction to make it pop a little more - you may just like it!

Method:
Unsharp mask
Amount 10%
Radius 250 pixels
Threshold 0

Maybe run it twice - to taste.

that is a very nice shot indeed. You've got to call it something like "Alien Abduction" :)

superb picture, and a different kind of pic for derwentwater too...makes a nice change from the jetty shots

I don't like it...

No, wait, no. I got that wrong didn't I ;-) Bloody lovely, put simply. Not often I go "wow" when I first see a shot. This one registered on my wowometer.

I like dcash's edit, though I'd possibly go somewhere between that and the original. I wouldn't want to change the original much at all tbh.

Well done.

Amazing picture.....

I like your last edit with the warmer tones, however, I think the sky is slightly wrong for the rest of the tones.?

I do like dcash29's edit..!

However you finish your edit you should be very proud of a cracking shot.!!

Wow! Just wow!

Would be interesting to see even a PS HDR of that. Do you shoot in RAW?

Excellent shot - right place, right time, right everything I think :)

Derwent water my all time favourite place

you did it proud with that image

Les (y)(y)

Lovely shot , can't wait to see the finished image. I would do as little as pos just recover the sky and a curves adj.
Sam

A great image, right place right time.

Of all the edits I was thinking along the lines I'd do what DCHash has done. Crop the sky a little and leave it quite subtle like the original with just a little more emphasis on the rays and for that reason thats the one that works for me!

It's what you'd expect to see in a shop and the sky doesn't bother me too much because your can explain the brightness just from the rays.

Another edit with an added sky, as simple recover wasn't an option.

Not an exact match to the reflection plus I haven't deleted the lens flare but i feel good enough for this excercise

5299991992_8d44a06ed5_b.jpg

Last edited:
stunning shot well done being in the right place and time
pete

My attempt
5297880534_bc09a242bb_b.jpg

It's a fantastic capture, as we have all acknowledged (y).

I think that I prefer the edit above to any of the other versions (including the original), as it has more warmth, contrast and does away with the ugly and distracting tall trees in the top right hand corner.

We're splitting hairs here now though - it's a great photo, whichever way you slice it ;)!

It truly is a very nice picture. I love anything capturing the rays like that.
I have been trying to decide if the sun reflection in the water is too distracting though. If I crop off just above the sun reflection reflection the rays stand out more but Im, undecided whether thats an improvement or not.
Either way, well done.

Carl

Back