I converted a van to a camper. Here's how I did it. (Picture heavy) well, it will be

he back of the van which we call the garage houses the spare wheel, the 2 water containers with their tubing and Whale water pump.

IMG_1043-1.jpg

The mattress for the bed is made of 4" soft foam purchased from eBay (supposedly cut to size but we had to cut it down both sides in the end).

The final part of the build to date (some things still need finishing although it is useable) was the table.

I pondered this for a long time but in the end it all went rather well.

I picked up a piece of "laminated pine" 1200mm x 400mm and attached a chrome table leg from a camping shop (eBay I think).

I created runners from MDF between the underside of the bed and the chest of drawers and screwed another piece of MDF to the front.

Now we can pull the table out a little to aid with food preparation, or all the way out and drop the leg so we have a dining table.

IMG_1157-1.jpgIMG_1158-1.jpgIMG_1159-1.jpg

That's about it I think.

I've probably forgotten a few things which I'll add as and when my addled brain remembers them.

I'll also post some shots of our first trip to the Lake District last week.

But for now I'm off to bed.

Night all.

I love this build! I’ve wanted to do something on a smaller scale with a dog cage and a portable solar/wind powered office but my wife doesn’t seem to be as in tune with me as yours is with you!

Some on location pics when you can. It’s nice to see a project getting used and appreciated.

This is brilliant, I have been thinking of starting something similar, I have access to a 2010 ambulance which I have thought of converting, many great ideas here thanks

Amazing transformation, thanks for posting an interesting read.

Enjoy your camper.

Bloody brilliant.

Well done.

Wow - fantastic job! Congratulations

Last edited:
Brilliant stuff, you’ve done infinitely better than the 12 year olds who built our motorhome!
All you need now is a solar panel on the roof :D then you can really go off grid.
Any idea of the fully loaded weight?

Great job and you look to have not fallen into the trap of keeping it too light, these vans are load carriers so they need a bit of weight in the conversion.

Terry, when I saw posts #28 and #29, with the lovely pine cladding, I thought you could turn the van into a mobile sauna - just kidding.
This is a really brilliant thread - keep going!

Thanks everyone.

With regards to the weight I've not put it on a weighbridge yet but as it's a 3.5 tonne van I can't imagine it's anywhere near the limit.

Good work... I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it.

Really good video/time lapse. The conversion was very good too. You had a good helper...……………….

Great thread :D

This is something I've always wanted so good luck to the OP and anyone lucky enough to be converting or owning something like this.

Just curious, how much did it all set you back?

Great work, would also love to do something like this but my Mrs is a fan of hotels not roughing it up a little and enjoying the great outdoors.

Brilliant, you did a great job! It looks brilliant. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of insulation, have you found it to be a problem? I'm on the look out for a transit custom to convert, not sure what sort of design to go with yet!

Terry and Sharon,

A great tread and a great job,you both have created a wonderful holiday home and I hope we see lots of photographs of the travels of you and the van and the places you have visited.

Enjoy and best wishes.

A few questions as Im looking at this very seriously if I may? (Anyone else can chip in if they know) :)

Was there any particular reason for the Movano or the LWB vs a MWB? I like the idea of a LWB but wonder how it would be in the little lanes in the middle of nowhere and also wonder if there's any particular vans or engines to avoid? ie Im assuming anything Transit / Movano / Sprinter is a good bet?

What about insurance? ie does it have to be registered as a camper now legally? and what are the steps to do so? does the leccy need PAT testing, what about the Gas?

I'm sure I'll think of more but thats plenty to be annoying you with for now :eek:

Back