I could slap her face !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why the OP was a bit miffed by their situation. To have someone actively discourage, or at least undermine their situation to deter people from buying their images seemed spiteful.

Exactly.

I'm sorry but that is incredibly patronising.

If an individual is happy with the free image who are you to tell them that your paid for product is so much better? It may be to you but if it is not in thier eyes then to them it isn't.

Why do some of the pros on here think that their market should be protected from changes in market forces that have undermined or threatened to undermine their business model?

Simon....It may appear patronising but it is also very true. I dont mean it to be, but I'm just trying to make the point.

This has been an interesting thread, if a bit heated. :LOL:

I can see why the OP was a bit miffed by their situation. To have someone actively discourage, or at least undermine their situation to deter people from buying their images seemed spiteful.

I can also see why people took exception to Tom's opinion, it may have not been put across in the most diplomatic manner, though I doubt any of us are diplomats. ;) :LOL:

I think the Butcher analogy was a valid one, although Tom seemed to dismiss it out of hand. When I worked in a department store, it used to irritate me when people would come in, look at the goods and then say it was £'s cheaper on the Internet. I knew that, they didn't need to tell me, but took satisfaction in doing it. :shrug: I wouldn't have appreciated another customer chiming in on the conversion to say it was even cheaper somewhere else. Inform the other customer by all means, but don't do it in front of me. :( That situation was different because obviously an Ipod is an Ipod regardless of where you buy, though in that situation the customer service and convenience of getting the goods there and then is what you were paying extra for, whereas each photograph is unique, and each photo has a value to the photographer and the viewer. To some Photographers the value is someone appreciating their work. For Pro's it is up to the photographer(s) to get into a situation where they have a monopoly on the situation, as at football stadiums, or produce images that are markedly better than the average chap in the street could get to justify the value they give the image.

I didn't see any 'threats' btw, but then I could be wrong and not have perceived something as a threat as it was not aimed at me. :shrug:

I dismissed the butchers shop analogy out of hand because I took it to mean that I deserved to get flamed for making such a statement about giving away photos for free in the same way I would get a negative response if I went into a butchers and did the same thing. My point was simply that I would not go into a butchers or department store and do this as its not an open forum whereas this is and not everyone on here is a pro.

I agree that what the woman did by offering her photos for free was out of order and never once have I said this is acceptable or something I would do. My original statement was just throwing another opinion into the mix. Although I know its a sensitive subject I honestly did not expect such a torrent of negative responses. Look at what I said, it was simply that I am happy to give away my photos for free, I don’t put much on facebook, I’m not a pro and I don’t give prints. Is that really such an inflammatory thing to say, none of it condones what the woman did, it just gives an example of someone with a different approach to their photographic hobby, that many people have but are becoming scared to say on here because of the responses.

If you don’t think the replies were threatening look at the last line of the first post after mine and tell me that is not a threatening line, “Be warned my friend, there are plenty of people out there who can bite you on the arse if you take away their livelihood”.

I can also see why people took exception to Tom's opinion

Most of us didn't. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and IMHO entitled to do what they want with there own pictures... It was the way he wanted to shove it in everyones face knowing (from his own experience) there would be a reaction..

If you don’t think the replies were threatening look at the last line of the first post after mine and tell me that is not a threatening line, “Be warned my friend, there are plenty of people out there who can bite you on the arse if you take away their livelihood”.

For the love of god...if it scares you that much, then report it. :razz:

Most of us didn't. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and IMHO entitled to do what they want with there own pictures... It was the way he wanted to shove it in everyones face knowing (from his own experience) there would be a reaction..

Tony as usual hits the nail on the head.

I think if Tom had put in his first post that he understood why I as the OP wasn't happy about the situation and then gone on to explain

1) he shoots his son's rugby
2) there isn't anyone taking photos to sell
3) he gives his away for free when asked

then the thread may not have got so heated.

To change the butcher analogy a bit

Tom is the butcher
I am also a butcher
I set up my stall outside Tom's shop
I have inferior meat
I give it away for free
99% of people who would buy Tom's meat now prefer to get my inferior meat as it's free.

Tom = peeved

Going to wade in with my size 13s now :LOL:

I occaisionally go and watch my bro-in-law play Rugby and I generally take my camera with me when I do.

The club he plays for IMO is a very nice & sociable club and it's usually a pleasure to spend time there but like most clubs it does struggle for funding/sponsorship.

My view is that I'm not a pro and not many (if any) of my photos are up to pro standard, plus to my knowledge there aren't any other pro photographers at the game who are looking to sell their shots.

I always make my photobucket gallery available to the club via their webmaster and make the offer that if any of the players want a full-res image then I'll email it to them FOC. If my pictures help promote the club in any way then I'm glad to have been of assistance.

I chose to go and watch the game, I chose to then take pictures of it so there was no "cost" to me other than petrol and/or a few drinks which I would have paid even if I didn't take pictures.

I'd never intentionally try to do any professional photographer out of money and if the situation ever arose I would chat to him/her to see perhaps see how we might work together to serve the best interests of the club and each other.

The point is not the strength of the threat but that one was made.

Then report it. That's what the little red triangle is for.

It's truthful...I know you've stated you don't want to be a pro...but if you turn up at a ground to take your free shots and someone else is there to sell, don't be surprised if they try and sabotage a bit.

I think I mentioned, it's a "dog eat dog" world out there, and if someone feels their livelihood is being threatened then they'll possibly do something to protect it.

To be fair, you came here to have a pop about free photos and when someone gives it back you complain you're being threatened.

If you're going to troll, try and be a bit more original.

Did you actually read my original post? If you think I was shoving it in peoples faces then I think you are reading too much into it. I made a statement related to the topic under discussion and on a subject I have tried to discuss several times but each time it recieves the same negative over reaction from people who seem to think its heresy to contradict the majority view.

Sounds like she needs a slap ;)

Ultimately, she's doing it to be annoying. Yes, she has a right to take pictures and a right to give them away for free, but morally, it stinks.

I think you're just going to have to ride it out. She'll get bored soon enough and move on to something else.

In the meantime, you're just going to have suffer mentally and financially.

Re Tom Harper; You get the flaming award of the year.

Tony as usual hits the nail on the head.

To change the butcher analogy a bit

Tom is the butcher
I am also a butcher
I set up my stall outside Tom's shop
I have inferior meat
I give it away for free
99% of people who would buy Tom's meat now prefer to get my inferior meat as it's free.

Tom = peeved

I agree and always have done as I have pointed out I don't do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then report it. That's what the little red triangle is for.

It's truthful...I know you've stated you don't want to be a pro...but if you turn up at a ground to take your free shots and someone else is there to sell, don't be surprised if they try and sabotage a bit.

I think I mentioned, it's a "dog eat dog" world out there, and if someone feels their livelihood is being threatened then they'll possibly do something to protect it.

To be fair, you came here to have a pop about free photos and when someone gives it back you complain you're being threatened.

If you're going to troll, try and be a bit more original.

Your assumption is that I am trolling and its wrong. I know you will never believe that and such is life but its a reflection of your negative attitudes rather than my supposed desire to “have a pop”. I tried not to get drawn into insults and tried to stick to the issue, wasn’t easy and eventually I gave in but I did try not to. If I was trolling I would have been just as interested in trading insults as discussing the topic on hand.

If your going to try and dismiss someones point of view try and be more orignial than calling them a troll.

Oh Bandy I just PMSL.

Maybe we should close this thread now and end it on a light note.

^ Good call.

Get the police down there to take a look at her snaps. Anti-torrorism should do it.

As promised (to lighten the thread), here's the woman I was on about. I'm not jealous :p......... but why doesn't she buy a longer lens, then there would be no need to get wet.........:LOL:

Lisa

2a.jpg

1a.jpg

ha ha i was going to give a poinient post but i wanted some humour...

back on subject, i can see why your annoyed though, could be worth just letting this one go... or just accusing her of taking pictures of children without permission :p

As mentioned in one of my other posts I can persevere and make my photos better and better or realise that I am p*ssing in the wind. i.e. the amount I will sell compared to the effort involved is just not worth it.

Being sensible the second option is the best.

Is that a give up attitude - yes but maybe it is best to know when you're beaten. I can as I also mentioned earlier concentrate on taking photos when the boy playes for Kent as there are kids from other teams who maybe don't have access to free photos.

It's not a lot but I did get a £60 order a few weeks ago from a Kent game and also go a £20 order from the match where this all started.

So there's a butchers giving away free pictures?

Brilliant.

Right that's it - had a good laugh at that one. Time to tidy up the desk and go home for the day. :clap:

i was hoping for a slightly wetter t-shirt as well if i'm honest. :naughty:

As promised (to lighten the thread), here's the woman I was on about. I'm not jealous :p......... but why doesn't she buy a longer lens, then there would be no need to get wet.........:LOL:

I hate to bring the thread down to this level.... but I would :)

Bet you don't look as good in wet t-shirt though.

Gary has got bigger boobs than her..... but to be fair so have I :(

apparently because big rob has an inferior sausage

Speaking of butchers and sausages.....

Bloke goes into a butchers and says "Can I have a pount and a half of pork sausages?"

The butcher replies "Sorry, we haven't got any"

Bloke replies "That's OK, I've got my bike outside"

<Russ77 looks for his coat and call a taxi>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back