I (didnt) Won Charlie Waites Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012 LPOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
CarolineS said:
Hi Dave, huge congratulations, beautiful images. I don't know anything about the crap and bitchiness that has appeared a little here and elsewhere - leave them to it. You took your pics, processed them and entered the competition, well done to you!

Caroline

Totally agree. There's a lot of sad jealous little people on here. If they think they can do better then go ahead and shoot and do well in competitions. Slagging off is not necessary and just reflects badly on them.

It's not this forum mate, is a bloke called alex nail on his website and theres a rock climbing forum, only a few people really but they seem intent on spoiling what is a brilliant thing for me

Don,t give them the satisfaction of spoiling your big day dave , you find mean spirited people in all walks of life , just let them stew in their own bile its pure jealousy , you won your the champ enjoy your day .

(y)

Well done dave.i dont think there can be a single photographer who as not been inspired by another photographer & has not taken similar photos from similar locations,i know i have.with landscape photography its hard not to.enjoy your big day in london & enjoy spending the money.

Just had a look at the alex nails website, and whilst he is a fantastic photographer, the blog in which he tries to deconstruct and 'investigate' the LPOTY photos really doesnt show him in a good light.

Whilst he isnt necessarily attacking you, he does raise some interesting points but which are all moot really.

No photograoher has exlusive right over a locaiton, and every photographer draws inspiration from others.

Sadly he goes too far. in his blog he deconstruct one of the last years winners to try and prove that the image may have been a composite of 2 images or that it wasnt taken at the time of day it tries to convey ie sunset.

I dont get what he is aiming to prove or change. He is attacking the competition and its entries for being repetative, unispiring, inconsistent judging, standard of enties and even the subject matter of those entries. He calls last year winning shot uninspiring lol!!

Its all his opnion and he is entitled to it but beleive me he does not speak for everyone.

All the best

That's the trouble with photography - too many prissy 'artists' with fragile egos thinking they're more special than everyone else.

Congrats on the win Dave. Well deserved - stunning pics.

Fantastic images well done, with the prize money are you going to buy a colour camera? ;)

Dave.
Firstly well done.
Secondly your second image is the best IMAGE I've seen this year.
Bloody good stuff.
Now where are those trees so I can copy it!? Lol.

LOL Thanks actually i do recommend going to delemere forest its a neat place

Well done dave.i dont think there can be a single photographer who as not been inspired by another photographer & has not taken similar photos from similar locations,i know i have.with landscape photography its hard not to.enjoy your big day in london & enjoy spending the money.

cheers

Just had a look at the alex nails website, and whilst he is a fantastic photographer, the blog in which he tries to deconstruct and 'investigate' the LPOTY photos really doesnt show him in a good light.

Whilst he isnt necessarily attacking you, he does raise some interesting points but which are all moot really.

No photograoher has exlusive right over a locaiton, and every photographer draws inspiration from others.

Sadly he goes too far. in his blog he deconstruct one of the last years winners to try and prove that the image may have been a composite of 2 images or that it wasnt taken at the time of day it tries to convey ie sunset.

I dont get what he is aiming to prove or change. He is attacking the competition and its entries for being repetative, unispiring, inconsistent judging, standard of enties and even the subject matter of those entries. He calls last year winning shot uninspiring lol!!

Its all his opnion and he is entitled to it but beleive me he does not speak for everyone.

All the best

thanks mate, on www.ukclimbing.com forum they are actually attacking me personally! i know its a very very small minority so im not to bothered but it just seems a bit mean spirited

That's the trouble with photography - too many prissy 'artists' with fragile egos thinking they're more special than everyone else.

Congrats on the win Dave. Well deserved - stunning pics.

thanks

Fantastic images well done, with the prize money are you going to buy a colour camera? ;)

lol do they exist? the missus reckons shes already spent it, 5 minutes after charlie rang me!!

thanks

Daily mail said its a 10k win! Even better! Now what pressie you gonna treat yourself too lol :)

i got £1k for delemere too! the missus is starting to worry me on how much she wants lol

Four fantastic images, beautifully desolate and moody. Congratulations on your win, well deserved.

thanks bondy

It's not this forum mate, is a bloke called alex nail on his website and theres a rock climbing forum, only a few people really but they seem intent on spoiling what is a brilliant thing for me

As Alex Nail is a member of this forum, I am hoping that, if he posts here, the nature and content of his posts remain professional and of the standard that TP expects (y)

the missus is starting to worry me on how much she wants lol

You need to get your list of purchases in quick. What's hers is hers, and what's yours is hers too.. other-halves quickly get to monetising their pain and suffering, just for being your better half! LOL!

Congratulations on your set of phenomenal shots. They're both inspired AND inspiring, and to my mind there can be no greater accolade in photography than that. Well done on a deserved win!

is he really that's interesting! surprised he didnt mention all this when i posted the image up over a year ago on here

cheers simon

Cant believe Im sharing a forum with somebody good enough to win LPOTY! Love the books and will be buying this years no doubt.
Well done Dave. :1st:

cannockwolf said:
i got £1k for delemere too! the missus is starting to worry me on how much she wants lol

Nice!

Haha, she'll be sending you out all hours now to take pictures

hehe yeah i will probably get a bit more leeway when i want to go toggin' hadnt thought of that, nice one!

there was one section for pics with people in so the copse was in that and the other i cant remember, probably classic i suppose cos its not urban is it

I've read that post, I saw a pic and loved it thought that looks like a cool place to go, a year later i got to go, i took loads of pics and there are at least 4 on my site of lindisfarne. The pic is the same but how many different angles can you get of the boats and the castle? The original shot was taken 15 plus years ago, does that mean no one else can take it? Thousands of people go there yearly, there must be 1000's of photos. I didn't take a print of the original with me and line up the tripod holes I just went a year after seeing it and took my pic. The processing style is all mine, I think there are enough people on here that know how I like my mono landscapes, I've been posting for over 2 years!

Peter is a member of my camera club, he saw this pic nearly a year ago and thinks its great, he likes my style of processing, he also emailed me to say how pleased he was I'd won with it. He's always been encouraging and supportive of me.

I entered 25 pics in the competition I didn't know what style would win, tbh I didn't think I would win, I was shocked to get to the final round, there are a 'few' keyboard warriors beating their chest atm, jealously does that, I'm pleased to say that more people are a bit more rational and say its a nice photo, well done.

If you look at Alex's photos he has many shots that if you google the place names are almost in the same spot and view, why has he the right to say what he has when he has the same situation spread all over his site. He is bitter because I didn't walk into the wild for 3 days camping to get the shot like he seems to do, for him it's not the shot but how you got it, it seems. Well I have to work and can only get out some weekends so I have to go to more accessible places, he seems to think that devalues my photographs and mean they are not worthy of winning anything.

I wasn't going to get caught up in a slanging match with him on his site, but this seems to have come to my turf so to speak. I'm not ashamed of my photo, I AM PROUD OF IT!

Duncan I'd like to know why it is a concern? If I had taken the jpeg off his site and just sent it in to the comp I can see why, but I drove there, got up early and took the shot processed it myself, in a totally different manner as they are not the same, and sent my picture to a competition, what is the problem with that?

Do I really deserve the slagging off that a small few have given me? Really?

If you google delamere forest you will see plenty of shots of that lake too, why is nobody calling me a plagiarist for that shot? There are not many places left that have never had a picture taken of it, are we all to pack our cameras away now?

Like I said I am NOT going to get drawn into a slanging match, I stand by my photos.

sounds like some people have got sour grapes! congratulations on your series of wins!

cheers bud

Those images are sublime and they inspire me in the same way that you were inspired by the other people's work before you. Who knows in 15 years you may be giving one of us your endorsements of a similar image. That's how photography works in my opinion. You see something you like and you try to shoot it in a way that conveys your personality or interpretation of it. In my opinion the OP should be commended for listing his source of inspiration so others less familiar in the original photographer can take the time to look up their work.

cheers bud

Well done Dave - nice work. I love 'The Copse' - how did you achieve the effect in PP?

yeah i saw that milou been searching online all day lol

ozei, the photo was already white with a bland sky and the snow on the ground so it was just a case of messing with levels and contrast really

Yep that's right the tree is in a field next to slitting mill jut outside the chase

Cheers mate, I assume its easy enough to find, might have a gander one day as only round the corner

dead easy you can see it from the road

Amazing photos! Is the last one rugeley power station?

Yep that's right the tree is in a field next to slitting mill jut outside the chase

Must be about the only way to make Rugeley look good (I've been working in the town for 9 years), excellent photos & congratulations with the awards :clap:

The corpse to me feel more like a hand drawn cartoon than a photograph, absolutely love it though. Think I'll have to have a go at some landscapes in B&W as I can never get them to look right in colour

thanks both

what explore on flickr? people keep congratulating me on it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back