I had a go at Em again.. (plus another)

I'd check your WB, looks yellow/green on my screen.

No problem, it's still yellow. Look at the parting and look at the yellow there.

Have you shifted your WB to your lights?

Also, is your laptop screen calibrated? That does have quite an impact on true colours.

No problem, it's still yellow. Look at the parting and look at the yellow there.
Ah, I think I see what you mean (y)

Have you shifted your WB to your lights?
Also, is your laptop screen calibrated? That does have quite an impact on true colours.
My laptop has a Pantone calibrated OLED screen, I've not checked it for myself as yet.
Only other differance today was I normally work in the dark, but had the windows open so the room light was differant.. (rubbish excuse for bad work :LOL:)

I'll be honest after looking at the image and some masks in the edits, I think the long short of it is, I've fudge up in the skintone correction, I was trying to lower the redness etc.. and I need to look again and try harder :LOL:

Thank you again for the feedback it's very much appreciated, I'll go away and scratch my head some more (y)

By taking Red away you’re introducing yellows depending on how you did it. Best thing to do is nail your WB then the rest is plain sailing.

By taking Red away you’re introducing yellows depending on how you did it. Best thing to do is nail your WB then the rest is plain sailing.
I'll put some more hours in ;)

Thank you again (y)

The composition seems perfect to me but I think I'd prefer a touch more depth.

Well taken Gav :D

Thank you Alan, I think I've Messed this one up.

In what way?

People have raised colour as an issue but the final image has to appeal to you. Other than that and me nit picking depth and that is just my opinion I think the composition is pretty much perfect. I don't think it's messed up at all.

In what way?

People have raised colour as an issue but the final image has to appeal to you. Other than that and me nit picking depth and that is just my opinion I think the composition is pretty much perfect. I don't think it's messed up at all.
I know I've gone wrong in the edits, probably just being hard on myself again ;)

There seems to be much less of a colour tint on my screen. I do prefer the wider framed version but if I hadn't seen that one I'd probably think this version was just about perfect :D

Does this look any better?
Personally, I'm not noticing any yellow now I'm on my PC, save the fact that if you look really closely, ( sorry for ogglng your Mrs Gav :D ) there are other minute traces, hair line and lips.
I suggest these are her natural skin tones. Lets face it no one is the same shades all over.

There seems to be much less of a colour tint on my screen. I do prefer the wider framed version but if I hadn't seen that one I'd probably think this version was just about perfect :D
Thank you, Alan :) not sure why I did the crop, I've been sat for hours trying to get my head around a few things :headbang::D

sorry for ogglng your Mrs Gav :D
Watch it Chris, you aren't too far away :bat: :LOL::LOL::angelic:

Personally, I'm not noticing any yellow now I'm on my PC, save the fact that if you look really closely, there are other minute traces, hair line and lips.
I suggest these are her natural skin tones. Lets face it no one is the same shades all over.
Cheers Chris, I wanted to keep as natural as possible, Em doesn't do make up :)

Thank you for the feedback, I'll chip away behind the scenes :)

Thank you, Alan :) not sure why I did the crop, I've been sat for hours trying to get my head around a few things :headbang::D

They both have their merits. My advice is keep both and decide which one you both like better over the coming days.

Watch it Chris, you aren't too far away :bat: :LOL::LOL::angelic:
Sorry :coat:
:D

Cheers Chris, I wanted to keep as natural as possible, Em doesn't do make up :)
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that fair play to her (y)
I did run the last one through ACR, But I have no way of knowing if these are Em's natural skin tones or not.

Gav's-1a-mrs.jpg

:LOL: No worries, I know you're only trying to help.. :)

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that fair play to her (y)
I did run the last one through ACR, But I have no way of knowing if these are Em's natural skin tones or not.
Cheers Chris, I'm starting to wonder if I'm afraid of leaving highlights in images, yours is brighter and her skin is cooler.

She does have some colour in her skin as she's not UV intolerant like me :LOL: but she does have redness and dark areas naturally, I wondering if I should probably just leave them as natural, because with us 'what you see, is what you get'.

I wondering if I should probably just leave them as natural, because with us 'what you see, is what you get'.
Absolutely (y)

I'd be interested to see what your crit is, Gav. What did you learn from this?

I'd be interested to see what your crit is, Gav. What did you learn from this?
I'd crash the site adding crit' on my own work :ROFLMAO:

I need to keep working on the lighting.

My editing needs work, the masks have become soft and poor edges.
Colours are off, (tiny bit due to going from C1 to Affinity and then flickr)

F2.8 @ 85mm is probably too low - I was trying to use it to soften the image but nail the eyes.

I think I pull highlights down far too often.

Being the way I am, I'll never be happy :LOL:

I'd crash the site adding crit' on my own work :ROFLMAO:

I need to keep working on the lighting.

My editing needs work, the masks have become soft and poor edges.
Colours are off, (tiny bit due to going from C1 to Affinity and then flickr)

F2.8 @ 85mm is probably too low - I was trying to use it to soften the image but nail the eyes.

I think I pull highlights down far too often.

Being the way I am, I'll never be happy :LOL:
Never being happy is the path to improvement... as long as you don't beat yourself too hard.
It's a perfectly pleasant portrait. f/2.8 is fine - nothing wrong with that. The only real issue is that the light is very flat, which makes the image flat. I think it could use a levels tweak... like this.:

Attachments

• em.jpg
    em.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Never being happy is the path to improvement... as long as you don't beat yourself too hard.
I agree, but I do like to push!
It's a perfectly pleasant portrait. f/2.8 is fine - nothing wrong with that. The only real issue is that the light is very flat, which makes the image flat. I think it could use a levels tweak... like this.:
Cheers Dean, I need to get some angles right, I've got a cat sculpture I'm playing with at the minute, to see how the light works before boring the pants off Em.
I'll take another look at the levels when editing.

Thank you for taking the time for an edit (y)

Another very nicely taken portrait of Em, for me I can't see any yellow at all even blowing it right up on my screen.
Thank you, Dave (y)

Back