I have some expired film to shoot. Which should I use? (now with photos!)

Which expired film should I shoot?

• Ilford FP4 Plus (Expired Feb 1998)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Kodak Tmax 100 (Expired Sep 1994)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Kodak Plus-X Pan 125 (Expired Mar 1988)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I've got three rolls of expired B&W film and feel like giving one of them a try. I have no real preference, so thought I'd place it in the lap of the gods (you lot) to decide. I have no idea how they were stored before they came into my possession (although the Plus-X Pan is from a batch of films where I've successfully shot a roll of expired colour 135 without any significant signs of degradation).

As per received wisdom regarding expired B&W film, the FP4+ will be shot 1-stop overexposed, the other two a stop-and-a-half.

So, which should it be? :)

Plus X is discontinued, the others aren't, hence they are less interesting. If you don't want to shoot the Plus X, I'll happily do so for you! ;)

Of course, you might want to keep the Plus X on the grounds that it's irreplaceable (well, probably still available somehow). And there's perhaps that feeling that a special film needs a special subject, which I always find a bit daunting. I've a single roll of Pan F that I never get round to shooting for that reason!

Plus X is discontinued, the others aren't, hence they are less interesting. If you don't want to shoot the Plus X, I'll happily do so for you! ;)

Of course, you might want to keep the Plus X on the grounds that it's irreplaceable (well, probably still available somehow). And there's perhaps that feeling that a special film needs a special subject, which I always find a bit daunting. I've a single roll of Pan F that I never get round to shooting for that reason!

Oh, I definitely want to shoot it but, as you say, I'd prefer not to waste it on snaps. Instead, I'll end up saving it for a special occasion, take lots of considered and carefully composed photographs, and then find out they're all ruined because the film was no good anymore. :D

But, if it becomes the chosen one in the poll, it'll be getting shot soon.

So, while I had decent hopes for this film (the 1994 expired Tmax 100), I was still expecting to see some signs of age, maybe some extra noise in the shadows or something, but blimey has it exceeded my expectations! I'm really happy with the way the roll has turned out - the tones are beautful and the film has a lovely contrasty but smooth texture. I shot it at 50asa in my F70 with the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and (the first two) with my Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I wonder if the other expired rolls I have will be as nice?

Here're a few, but I'm happy with pretty much every shot on the roll, so will add some more when I get them on Flickr.

FILM - White rose
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Starburst

FILM - Oak

FILM - Flowers

Last edited:
That first rose is stunning! I don't often see a DOF effect like that on 35mm film, gorgeous.

Thanks Charlotte.

Actually, thinking about it, the two flower close-up shots were taken with my 105mm Sigma macro lens. They're both flowers from the vase in shot #4 - I took it onto the patio to get enought light. :)

Please forgive my failing memory!

now with photos!… sounds like a sales pitch! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Colour film would not hold the road so well at that age!
Stupendous DR, Nige!

Last edited:

now with photos!… sounds like a sales pitch! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Colour film would not hold the road so well at that age!
Stupendous DR, Nige!

Thanks. If you could buy 23-years expired Tmax 100 in the shops and be guaranteed results like this, I'd buy a cartload of it. I'm seriously impressed with the way it's turned out.

Maybe I should try some fresh Tmax 100 to see if it's as nice. :)

Just so you know, it was devved at 12 minutes in the Xtol on account of the age of the film. I thought they looked too meaty when they came off but they've scanned nicely haven't they.

They are great results, I keep visiting those same locations but it seems as though you have gotten much nicer light. Whenever I have a day off the light seems to fall flat [emoji14]

They are great results, I keep visiting those same locations but it seems as though you have gotten much nicer light. Whenever I have a day off the light seems to fall flat [emoji14]

It was a very nice day, to be fair. I wish I'd had a third camera with me loaded with some colour, because there were a few shots that would've really worked, but I was stuck with B&W.

A couple more photos...

FILM - Anchor plate and barred window

FILM - Tyred out

Back