I think I need a new tripod

Surely if the head holds a release plate, does it matter what camera is on the plate?

I'm not familiar with how they work though, I've always used thumb turn screw clamps.

Surely if the head holds a release plate, does it matter what camera is on the plate?

I'm not familiar with how they work though, I've always used thumb turn screw clamps.

Yeah, I think the problem with this orange plate is that it has a ridge that the front of the camera butts up to. And my Canon was obviously a bit big/deep, and to lock it in place I must have had to push the grey lever further than it should be. I'm quite good at breaking things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. I just can't budge it, it's like it's been welded in. I've just done a live chat with a Manfrotto helpdesk. I showed him the photo and he said the plate is in correctly but the lever has gone too far round, so it's just a case of more force required. He said if I can't remove it, Amazon can replace it as faulty. Also, it's not meant for Canon cameras which is no good.
I actually put my Canon on it earlier and that probably caused this, lol.

My fault for buying the wrong one. So I need to get a different tripod that has a more universal head for both cameras. I'd like another Befree carbon GT, so now I need to find one that's suitable.

Just buy another plate, nothing wrong with the tripod or ball head.
You need one of these, its one my Befree GT came with https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/200...MIs6CBn6qM7AIV0-ntCh2-RwhsEAQYAyABEgK1EfD_BwE
Or a generic one like this will do https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HJ22...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

The ball head is the same one on every Befree Tripod, its just the plate that is different

Last edited:
Just buy another plate, nothing wrong with the tripod or ball head.
You need one of these, its one my Befree GT came with https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/200...MIs6CBn6qM7AIV0-ntCh2-RwhsEAQYAyABEgK1EfD_BwE
Or a generic one like this will do https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HJ22...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

The ball head is the same one on every Befree Tripod, its just the plate that is different

There's nothing wrong with the tripod, I agree. I think it's great, it feels so solid. Thing is, I really can't get this plate off.
I paid £229 for the tripod. Maybe there's another Befree GT Carbon for the same price with that plate you linked without me needing to paying extra?
I'm going to have a look on Amazon.

edit: But yes, if I don't find another tripod then I could get a replacement of the same one and then buy either of those plates you linked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. I just can't budge it, it's like it's been welded in. I've just done a live chat with a Manfrotto helpdesk. I showed him the photo and he said the plate is in correctly but the lever has gone too far round, so it's just a case of more force required. He said if I can't remove it, Amazon can replace it as faulty. Also, it's not meant for Canon cameras which is no good.
I actually put my Canon on it earlier and that probably caused this, lol.

My fault for buying the wrong one. So I need to get a different tripod that has a more universal head for both cameras. I'd like another Befree carbon GT, so now I need to find one that's suitable.

Hmmmmm! two things strike:-

Unless the PL200 plate is designed for a specific make of body, they are universal. so maybe you have the 'wrong version' for the body? EDIT ~ I noted that your box says designed for Sony Alpha cameras!

BUT when it comes to fitting on the QR head AFAIK the plate is 'handed'. The plate appears to be the newest type that is both Manfrotto and Acra Swiss..........................but that doe snot make a difference to the Manfrotto fitting method!!!!!

I fear you have forced it into place rotated 180degrees ~ the toe that is intended to latch into a recess in the head and then the plate is clicked into place...............but IMO you have reversed it. Pilot error it seems has caught you out :banghead:

Last edited:
Here is the universal PL200

This is the Manfrotto/AS version it does look modified compared to the PL200 above

When you say that you cannot budge it........................?
20200928_130931arrows.jpg

Have you been levering from the horizontal arrow or the X?

If you treat the plate as sacrificial bearing in mind it is not for your Canon but a Sony..................at your risk, try inserting a broad flat bladed screwdriver in the gap indicated by the vertical arrow and lever at the same time as pushing against the place on the horizontal arrow.

Alteranatively, get a refund and and but one already supplied with a Universal Plate.

PS I have heard that the Manfrotto/AS Plates are poor on the AS usage 'compatibility' but never heard of one being so tight in use on the Manfrotto PL200 usage that you cannot disengage and release it :(

PPS I am at a loss to understand how in your post #82 that trying to fit the plate attached to your Canon has caused the jammed plate? Why, well your picture shows just the plate on the head with the grey locking lever 'over rotated'.

Such over rotation just(?) requires the careful and appropriate use of force to move it....... afteral you managed to apply enough to jam it, didn't you ;)

Last edited:
The Manfrotto website for this model states:

Manfrotto’s Befree GT carbon α professional travel tripod and ball head kit is a special version of the Befree GT Carbon dedicated to all Sony α camera users who want maximum performance and stability in all shooting positions.
The plate is designed to match Sony α7 and Sony α9 camera bodies*, to ensure perfect grip, even in the most angled camera shots. The front jut of the plate physically blocks the camera, preventing any play both on tilt and rotational movements, always keeping the camera stuck to the head plate. The result is impressive camera stability, which takes image sharpness to the highest level. The plate is also fully compatible with the world’s most widespread standard head attachments: Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-swiss style. With this aluminium plate fixed to the camera, all Manfrotto heads and almost all tripod heads on the market featuring Arca-style attachments can be set up rapidly and effortlessly, without disassembling components.

So it should be compatible with your 5Dii with the right plate.

If Amazon refuse your return, perhaps you could try to carefully cut the plate that has got stuck.

Hope it works out well.

View attachment 293981

If you treat the plate as sacrificial bearing in mind it is not for your Canon but a Sony..................at your risk, try inserting a broad flat bladed screwdriver in the gap indicated by the vertical arrow and lever at the same time as pushing against the place on the horizontal arrow.

Alteranatively, get a refund and and but one already supplied with a Universal Plate.

PS I have heard that the Manfrotto/AS Plates are poor on the AS usage 'compatibility' but never heard of one being so tight in use on the Manfrotto PL200 usage that you cannot disengage and release it :(

PPS I am at a loss to understand how in your post #82 that trying to fit the plate attached to your Canon has caused the jammed plate? Why, well your picture shows just the plate on the head with the grey locking lever 'over rotated'.

Such over rotation just(?) requires the careful and appropriate use of force to move it....... afteral you managed to apply enough to jam it, didn't you ;)

Yeah, I don't think the Canon camera has anything to do with it. Yes, it might not sit right on the plate, but it's the plate being clamped regardless of what (if anything) is attached to it.

@Merlin5

Lee

I suggest you give this company a call................back when I needed some minor monopod part (head washers) the guy was very helpful and I actually went there (about 10 miles from me) and checked them before just in case I had to reject them as 'wrong' and get a refund processed.

As I recall they also did repairs.......................so if anyone knows about such jams etc they would!

PS I can only surmise that another way to unjam it is to dismantle the grey lever as show in the blow-up diagram...part RT111621 ...again your risk ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. Thanks for all the links and the arrowed photo, Box Brownie. :) I might give that a go with wedging a screwdriver. Bit worried though that if I scratch it up or do any damage I won't be able to replace it. I could not find another Manfrotto carbon model with the same weight or height reach. I really like this tripod and I really do like the screw locking legs, it's pretty cool. Clips are probably quicker, but it's fine. It might be easier for me to simply get a replacement from Amazon of the same model and then remove the QR plate and buy one of those 200PL plates that you and rich linked me. There's also this 200Pl Pro, I don't know if there's any difference.

Oh and I looked at another of their tripods and it looks like I'm not the only one!

QR plate.jpg

Last edited:
Get the thing off and change it for an Arca clamp, five minutes work and all sorted out.
As I explained earlier that's what I did, nice tripod and decent head, shame about the clamp.

Get the thing off and change it for an Arca clamp, five minutes work and all sorted out.
As I explained earlier that's what I did, nice tripod and decent head, shame about the clamp.

Ok so just to clarify. I need to force the orange plate off to get to the screw underneath it to be able to unscrew the clamp. Then I can buy that Neewer clamp from you that you showed a photo of earlier, and I'd need to also buy a quick release plate that fits onto that, is that right?

Ok so just to clarify. I need to force the orange plate off to get to the screw underneath it to be able to unscrew the clamp. Then I can buy that Neewer clamp from you that you showed a photo of earlier, and I'd need to also buy a quick release plate that fits onto that, is that right?

Correct although there are plenty on Ebay too, just search Manfrotto Boss
There is also this one which I have on my Befree, bit more expensive though and still need an Arca plate
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...t=&hvlocphy=1006818&hvtargid=pla-799544383103

I mght have an Arca plate too going spare, gave the dual one it came with to my daughter.
Entirely up to you, wasn't a sales pitch, its not the biggest clamp (Neweer one) but does fit nicely when the legs are folded.

View attachment 293981

Well, well, well. I just got the orange plate off doing what you said. :) And it didn't even take any effort. It only ever so slightly took some of the orange paint off, no big deal.
20200928_212722.jpg

Well, well, well. I just got the orange plate off doing what you said. :) And it didn't even take any effort. It only ever so slightly took some of the orange paint off, no big deal.
View attachment 294009

Glad you got it sorted :) a timely reminder to avoid being too heavy handed when latching the head on........ on the surmise you stick with the Manfrotto QR head (rather than switch to an Arca Swiss style clamp ;)

PS the paint you refer to is more likely to be an anodised surface and what you have done by overtightening it is to dent the metal 'breaking' the anodising coat.

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted :) a timely reminder to avoid being too heavy handed ;)

PS the paint you refer to is more likely to be an anodised surface and what you have done by overtightening it is to dent the metal 'breaking' the anodising coat.

Ah I see. I'd broken the coating before even using the screwdriver. Your help has been appreciated! :ty:

Ah I see. I'd broken the coating before even using the screwdriver. Your help has been appreciated! :ty:

Yup, though looks like you added a couple extra with the screwdriver blade :LOL:

Yup, though looks like you added a couple extra with the screwdriver blade :LOL:

I think I did! :facepalm:Well, I've tried putting the plate on and off the clamp and it's working fine. I even tried the Canon again I'm still able to release the clamp without it getting stuck.
I think I'm just going to buy a 200PL from one of yours or rich's links and be done with it. You can see from this photo how the lip of the plate is preventing the Canon from sitting flush and that's allowing the camera to move ever so slightly left and right when attached to the tripod. Also, the orange plate has no padding to protect the bottom of the camera, just bare metal and it started to cut into a plastic sticker on the bottom of the camera. I think one of those 200PL plates looks like it has some padding.

20200928_224334.jpg

Last edited:
The box you showed clearly states it is for Sony Alpha bodies i.e. the plate is only for those bodies...... so why keep trying it on the Canon???

Enjoy your nice new tripod and don't forget the post some pictures of subjects & scenes your photographed :)

The box you showed clearly states it is for Sony Alpha bodies i.e. the plate is only for those bodies...... so why keep trying it on the Canon???

Enjoy your nice new tripod and don't forget the post some pictures of subjects & scenes your photographed :)

Oh yeah, you're right. I know it's for Sony bodies and that's why I need a different plate. I guess I was just trying to see for myself exactly why the Canon didn't fit properly and it was also to show LeeRatters who wondered if it mattered what camera sits on the plate.

I'm loving this tripod, it feels so premium, the weight is perfect, the way the legs click is very nice, the way everything tightens so well with no effort, and I just found out about the friction knob which is brilliant. Yes, I'll post some photos soon after the new camera and lenses arrive :)

@Merlin5

Which lenses are you getting?

If one is a long lens with a tripod ring/foot then you should get two plates ~ one for the camera and the other to attach to the lens tripod foot ;)

@Merlin5

Which lenses are you getting?

If one is a long lens with a tripod ring/foot then you should get two plates ~ one for the camera and the other to attach to the lens tripod foot ;)

A Sony 70-350 G OSS will be the biggest I'm having for the a6600. And the biggest for my Canon is the Tamron 70-300 I currently have. So neither are that big which suits me fine. :)

A Sony 70-350 G OSS will be the biggest I'm having for the a6600. And the biggest for my Canon is the Tamron 70-300 I currently have. So neither are that big which suits me fine. :)

Neither is a too heavier a lens..........but some tripod setup aspects to be aware of:-

That a longer lens, when used on a tripod without its own tripod foot i.e relying on the body affixed to the tripod, will inevitably be front heavy so do be sure to lock off the ball head firmly as & when required. This means that the "centre of gravity" will be displaced further away from the 'top' of the tripod legs.

Therefore, for improved stability on the tripod......make sure to position the tripod legs & head such that a tripod leg (as best you can manage depending on positioning situations) is in line with the lens 'over' that particular leg.

I hope that makes sense.....as easier to show than describe in words ;)

PS apologies if I am teaching you how to suck eggs, so to speak.

Last edited:
Neither is a too heavier a lens..........but some tripod setup aspects to be aware of:-

That a longer lens, when used on a tripod without its own tripod foot i.e relying on the body affixed to the tripod, will inevitably be front heavy so do be sure to lock off the ball head firmly as & when required. This means that the "centre of gravity" will be displaced further away from the 'top' of the tripod legs.

Therefore, for improved stability on the tripod......make sure to position the tripod legs & head such that a tripod leg (as best you can manage depending on positioning situations) is in line with the lens 'over' that particular leg.

I hope that makes sense.....as easier to show than describe in words ;)

PS apologies if I am teaching you how to suck eggs, so to speak.

That's great advice, I'm a drummer and tripods remind me of three legged cymbal stands which I set up regularly on gigs. If I set up a cymbal facing between any two of the legs it inevitably topples over (it's happened! :LOL:) so I always make sure to position the cymbal, particularly when on a boom arm, directly in line of one the legs then it's well balanced. :)

Correct although there are plenty on Ebay too, just search Manfrotto Boss
There is also this one which I have on my Befree, bit more expensive though and still need an Arca plate
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...t=&hvlocphy=1006818&hvtargid=pla-799544383103

I mght have an Arca plate too going spare, gave the dual one it came with to my daughter.
Entirely up to you, wasn't a sales pitch, its not the biggest clamp (Neweer one) but does fit nicely when the legs are folded.

Sorry rich, I completely missed your reply last night. But I've watched a lot videos now and have a clear understanding about arca swiss clamps and release plates.

My concern though is that there aren't any locking safety features on the ones with just a single knob in case the knob becomes accidentally loose. Whereas my clamp has a safety lever and is almost impossible to accidentally come loose I am however considering one like this with both a lever and a knob. Pity there's no spirit level on it though.

Oh yeah, you're right. I know it's for Sony bodies and that's why I need a different plate. I guess I was just trying to see for myself exactly why the Canon didn't fit properly and it was also to show LeeRatters who wondered if it mattered what camera sits on the plate.

I'm loving this tripod, it feels so premium, the weight is perfect, the way the legs click is very nice, the way everything tightens so well with no effort, and I just found out about the friction knob which is brilliant. Yes, I'll post some photos soon after the new camera and lenses arrive :)

I know the plate is shaped to fit a certain cancers body. The point I was making in that "it doesn't matter which camera is on the plate" is that it's not the camera that attaches and got stuck the head. It's just the plate!

Sorry rich, I completely missed your reply last night. But I've watched a lot videos now and have a clear understanding about arca swiss clamps and release plates.

My concern though is that there aren't any locking safety features on the ones with just a single knob in case the knob becomes accidentally loose. Whereas my clamp has a safety lever and is almost impossible to accidentally come loose I am however considering one like this with both a lever and a knob. Pity there's no spirit level on it though.

Glad you are getting on ok with it now Lee, just a few teething problems
I have never had one of the screw up type come undone, some have a safety pin on them as well to prevent the plate sliding out.
The clamp you linked will not fit your head without one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Replace-Manfrotto-Compatible-Release/dp/B01MDK6P1T

Probably right when you say about getting an ordinary Manfrotto plate, saves a lot of messing about for a few quid.
After all you got a real bargain with the tripod in the first place and the non Sony model is still a fair bit dearer

Last edited:
Do you know what is weird and annoying, the plate for my little Redreg tripod is meant to be Acra Swiss, the grip for the Lim's Leather case base is meant to be Acra Swiss, the Gitzo head is meant to be Acra Swiss.

You'd think they are all compatible with each other? Are they heck. There is always a TINY bit that doesn't fit.

Do you know what is weird and annoying, the plate for my little Redreg tripod is meant to be Acra Swiss, the grip for the Lim's Leather case base is meant to be Acra Swiss, the Gitzo head is meant to be Acra Swiss.

You'd think they are all compatible with each other? Are they heck. There is always a TINY bit that doesn't fit.

:LOL: :banghead: AS is not a standard = no assurance of cross compatibility from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Having said that it is more universal than the lock-in, on say Manfrotto ;)

Caveat emptor!

I know the plate is shaped to fit a certain cancers body. The point I was making in that "it doesn't matter which camera is on the plate" is that it's not the camera that attaches and got stuck the head. It's just the plate!

Sorry Lee, my misunderstanding!

Glad you are getting on ok with it now Lee, just a few teething problems
I have never had one of the screw up type come undone, some have a safety pin on them as well to prevent the plate sliding out.
The clamp you linked will not fit your head without one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Replace-Manfrotto-Compatible-Release/dp/B01MDK6P1T

Probably right when you say about getting an ordinary Manfrotto plate, saves a lot of messing about for a few quid.
After all you got a real bargain with the tripod in the first place and the non Sony model is still a fair bit dearer

Actually you've got me more interested now in the whole sliding the plate into clamp arca swiss system. :) Not only that but I can get an arca swiss clamp + release plate for about the same cost or less than just a 200PL release plate. That Boss adapter is currently unavailable on the rain forest and on ebay it's available but only from china which would take ages.
Do I need that adapter regardless of which arca swiss clamp I want to buy and it needs to say it's an adapter for 496 ballheads?

Sorry Lee, my misunderstanding!

Actually you've got me more interested now in the whole sliding the plate into clamp arca swiss system. :) Not only that but I can get an arca swiss clamp + release plate for about the same cost or less than just a 200PL release plate. That Boss adapter is currently unavailable on the rain forest and on ebay it's available but only from china which would take ages.
Do I need that adapter regardless of which arca swiss clamp I want to buy and it needs to say it's an adapter for 496 ballheads?

I have never found a clamp that didn't need an adapter to fit on a Manfrotto head such as yours.
Some do come with the boss, obviously they would be ok, but others cannot just go on due to the conflicting design
This one is from Norwich, have used them before, they are the distributor for Sunwayfoto, a good brand for Ball Heads, Clamps, Plates etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FotoPand...426394?hash=item3fb3ad6ada:g:lWMAAOSwXMxcCRPI

Last edited:
I have never found a clamp that didn't need an adapter to fit on a Manfrotto head such as yours.
Some do come with the boss, obviously they would be ok, but others cannot just go on due to the conflicting design
This one is from Norwich, have used them before, they are the distributor for Sunwayfoto, a good brand for Ball Heads, Clamps, Plates etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FotoPand...426394?hash=item3fb3ad6ada:g:lWMAAOSwXMxcCRPI

Great stuff. I'll buy that and either the Andoer lever/knob clamp and plate I was considering or another one. If you think the knob is secure enough without needing the lever on it as well, that opens more possibilities as I'd quite like one with a spirit level.

Great stuff. I'll buy that and either the Andoer lever/knob clamp and plate I was considering or another one. If you think the knob is secure enough without needing the lever on it as well, that opens more possibilities as I'd quite like one with a spirit level.

As I said never had one come loose and iv'e used a few over the years.
The lever type are more sensitive to slightly different sized plates and often need a bit of fine adjustment.

Great stuff. I'll dbuy that and either the Andoer lever/knob clamp and plate I was considering or another one. If you think the knob is secure enough without needing the lever on it as well, that opens more possibilities as I'd quite like one with a spirit level.
As I said never had one come loose and iv'e used a few over the years.
The lever type are more sensitive to slightly different sized plates and often need a bit of fine adjustment.

AFAIK
The lever type AS clamps are intended to be used with lever as the principal/primary clamping method. The screw side is intended to fine tune the clamping pressure action and to when using it as @tijuana taxi uana says to compensate for minor size variations by manufacturer. As I recall all such lever models are copies of a Really Right Stuff (RRS) design.

AFAIK
The lever type AS clamps are intended to be used with lever as the principal/primary clamping method. The screw side is intended to fine tune the clamping pressure action and to when using it as @tijuana taxi uana says to compensate for minor size variations by manufacturer. As I recall all such lever models are copies of a Really Right Stuff (RRS) design.

I had an Arca lever clamp like this one https://www.amazon.com/Arca-Swiss-Arca-Swiss-FlipLock-Quickset/dp/B000CBQFN8
Little rascal to adjust and each different plate meant it needed adjusting. To be fair it did say to use Arca Swiss plates, so can't complain really

Can't beat the screw up type, this is my favourite of those I have used https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/arcaswiss_type/flm_srb40_quick_release/22648_p.html

Last edited:
Well guys I've just ordered the 200PL Pro plate which I can use on the tripod as is and also on an Arca Swiss clamp. I've got the link for the Boss adapter but I haven't decided yet which arca swiss clamp I want.

By the way, the Really Right Stuff is pretty expensive compared to the arca clamps I've looked at!

FWIW

In common with post ~116 and the second link posted by @tijuana taxi I bought a Whimberly C-12 clamp that I use on my Black Rapid strap. Why do I say in common..................well when I was looking most clamps had 'machine grooving' on the securing screw ~ IMO not the best to make for holding the screw and tightening well but the larger "steps" on the shown screw head turner mean once tightened it is not going to loosen by itself and the C-12 has never been something I have to worry about attached to my gear. Oh, the C-12 is quite wide compared to many other more budget clamps, so more grip area to hold the AS in place ;)

PS I use a Gimbal on my tripod and a Surui tilt head on my Monopod both are AS attachments and just work!

Last edited:
Well guys I've just ordered the 200PL Pro plate which I can use on the tripod as is and also on an Arca Swiss clamp. I've got the link for the Boss adapter but I haven't decided yet which arca swiss clamp I want.

By the way, the Really Right Stuff is pretty expensive compared to the arca clamps I've looked at!

As I mentioned previously when Manfrotto first introduced their PL200 Pro there was criticism as to how well the AS fitted other AS clamps therefore IMO whoever you buy the AS clamp from make sure they have a returns policy in case the fit and clamping action leaves anything to be desired once put together??? NB wracking my brains I think the issue was the depth and 'position' of the AS groove(s) on the PL200 Pro, as in the AS clamp did not 'fit' into the grooves deeply enough. Since introduced they may have improved that aspect.

Thanks for that Box Brownie, I've taken onboard what you said about the larger screw threading. It seems I'd need to spend over £60 for something of that quality.
I'm not sure what you mean by using a C-12 clamp on a strap?

Well I bought the 200PL Pro as I like the simple and clean look of it and didn't want to buy a cheaper clone plate. I'm sure the clones work fine, although I've seen a couple of youtube reviewers comments of some play in clone plates or stiff to use tightening rings. But for the sake of £20, I feel better knowing that cameras will be secure when on the Manfrotto 496 clamp. Regarding using it on an arca swiss clamp, right, I shall keep your advice in mind and more than likely buy from Amazon as their returns policy is pretty good. What I want is one that is lever and screw and has spirit levels, but none I've seen have spirit levels. I guess that might not be too much of an issue with a Sony camera since it has a levelling thing on the screen. But would be nice to have for the Canon. Or I could buy one of those hotshoe spirit levels I've seen.

Back