I think I need a new tripod

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys. I think it's about time to invest in a better tripod. The one I have is a cheap 'PrimaPhoto' I got years ago from pcworld for about £20 before I knew anything about photography. I used to use it with an adapter to mount my smartphone for video recording. It doesn't seem flimsy, there's no massive wobble as such, but there is some flexing from the top part which must be enough to ruin photos.

I've just been doing some testing with my 5D mk2 on a solid tabletop and on the tripod. I placed a small object on the table. The object has a small led screen with black background and white numbers. I placed the camera on the table, used liveview and focused on the led screen. The numbers came out clean and nicely focused. I then put the camera on my tripod and did the same. I even pushed my hand down on the top of the camera. But when I zoomed in fully to review the photo the numbers kept coming out looking like slight double vision. I don't really get it because the tripod feels pretty solid under my hand. But it must be the tripod that's not cutting it.

Can I buy one that is as solid as a tabletop?

Last edited:
Yes you can get one which is as solid or more so than your table top but you need to know what is the weight you want it to support then you need a budget because you wont get one for £20.00

You can buy very very sturdy tripods, but they also tend to be heavy. If you don't intend to go out with it then that's fine, but if you do then it will be a compromise between weight and portability. I would also recommend using a remote shutter release, or use the timer release. Even on a tripod you can induce camera shake by pressing the shutter.

A £20 tripod is a waste of time imo.

I am not sure why you are using your hand to steady the camera. I would use mirrorlock and the self timer. It’s possible that the tripod isn’t up to the task as the 5Dmkii plus lens would be heavy and cheap tripods aren’t designed for such cameras.

Thanks for the replies Chris, snerkler, Lee and Clint.

Lee, I used my Canon 50mm f1.8 to test so there's no image stabilisation. Is the 3LT travis tabletop solid?

Clint, I put my hand on top of the camera to see if would help with the double vision effect my shots were getting but it didn't. I was in liveview and what's called AF Quick mode on my 5D mk2, pressed the shutter to lock mirror up, waited for the little square to turn red and I took the shot. But I should have used the self timer.

Chris, good to know I can get one as solid as a tabletop, or even more so?? Wow, that's great. All I know so far about quality tripods is two big names, Gitzo and Manfrotto. I know nothing beyond that, or about ball heads or whatever I'd need to attach to it. I really can't afford to be paying £600 for one because I'm already about to spend about £2,500 on a new camera and lenses. But if you think there's a tabletop solid tripod in the £200 to £300 region then that would be my budget range. Or a more expensive one that I could find used on ebay or gumtree for less.

In terms of weight that I want to support: Canon 5Dmk2 with Canon 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 70-300 (Tamron weighs about 850g)
With new camera and lenses, it will be Sony a6600 with Sony 70-350mm G OSS, probably a Sony 18-135 OSS and probably either a Sony 10-18mm or a Samyang 8mm.
I don't think I'm going to have anything heavier than that. I would have gone for a much heavier 150-600 Sigma or Tamron with a new full frame camera but don't need to now. Although it would be nice to have a tripod that I know could support the weight of that sort of lens and one of the cameras.

My tripod weights 1.3kg, very plasticky but doesn't feel like it would break. It goes to just over 4ft high or just over 5ft with the centre post raised. So I'd like something that goes to about those sort of heights. It has a couple of spirit levels and a hook for hanging weights. But yeah, now that I know the true cost of a quality tripod, I'm embarrassed by my cheap one.

I'm not sure I'm too bothered about weight when taking the tripod out with me. Are we talking twice as heavy as mine?

snerkler, talking about remote shutter release, that's a much cheaper and favourable option for me. Do I really need a new tripod if I can just use a remote, or can a cheap tripod still get vibration from the ground?
Also, something I've never been sure of when using the self timer. I still have to press to focus before pressing the shutter to trigger the self timer. Couldn't just pressing to focus induce camera shake or does that not affect focus, only when the shot is actually taken?

As you can probably tell, I'm still pretty much a beginner! :)

Last edited:

• Max Height 1.65 m / 65 "
  • Max Height w/o column 1.39 m / 55 "
  • Min Height 195 mm / 7.75 "
  • Monopod Max Height 1.71 m / 67 "
  • Folded Length 450 mm / 17.7 "
  • 4 Section Legs / 1 Section Column
  • Load Capacity - 18 kg / 40 lbs
  • Tripod Weight 1.6kg / 3.6 lbs
  • Leg Angles 23º, 55º, 80º
  • Max Leg Tube Diameter 23 mm / 0.91 "

I have a Redsnapper that I've had about 10 years. I did/do like using that but the Travis is lighter for longer walks & hiking etc. If I'm at the coast with little walking then the Redsnapper goes in the sea!

The Travis is fine for the A7 & Contax Carl Zeiss 80-200/4 which would be my heaviest & biggest set up.

• Max Height 1.65 m / 65 "
  • Max Height w/o column 1.39 m / 55 "
  • Min Height 195 mm / 7.75 "
  • Monopod Max Height 1.71 m / 67 "
  • Folded Length 450 mm / 17.7 "
  • 4 Section Legs / 1 Section Column
  • Load Capacity - 18 kg / 40 lbs
  • Tripod Weight 1.6kg / 3.6 lbs
  • Leg Angles 23º, 55º, 80º
  • Max Leg Tube Diameter 23 mm / 0.91 "

I have a Redsnapper that I've had about 10 years. I did/do like using that but the Travis is lighter for longer walks & hiking etc. If I'm at the coast with little walking then the Redsnapper goes in the sea!

The Travis is fine for the A7 & Contax Carl Zeiss 80-200/4 which would be my heaviest & biggest set up.

Thanks matey. £149. Good price, That blue thing on top, I guess that's a ball joint to control left, right, up and down camera movement and I wouldn't need to buy anything else? Is it really solid like being on a table, you don't feel any flexing?

Comes complete - legs, ball head & quick release plate (although I use an L Bracket anyway)

I normally use it full height, outdoors & it's solid enough for me even with longer exposures.

@Merlin5

Not sure if this was mentioned.......

By pressing down on the camera even if you think you are 'steadying it', you are potentially/likely due to muscle tone transmitting vibration to the camera.

So what to do to steady a tripod.......hang a bag of sugar, or other similar solid object, under it (between the legs) even if you jury rig it with a string looped round the tripod top (but at the base of the head.......do not hang from the head).

Yes, it is possible the head is inadequate to handle the weight of the 5D2 & lens but by starting by trying the above method of improving the stability you can at least initially save money in the short term?

Last edited:
@Merlin5

Not sure if this was mentioned.......

By pressing down on the camera even if you think you are 'steadying it', you are potentially/likely due to muscle tone transmitting vibration to the camera.

So what to do to steady a tripod.......hang a bag of sugar, or other similar solid object, under it (between the legs) even if you jury rig it with a string looped round the tripod top (but at the base of the head.......do not hang from the head).

Yes, it is possible the head is inadequate to handle the weight of the 5D2 & lens but by starting by trying the above method of improving the stability you can at least initially save money in the short term?

Thanks, Box Brownie, these are suggestions I shall try, But if I went for a better tripod that is as solid as putting the camera on a tabletop or a concrete surface, does that mean I shouldn't need to hang anything from it?

I have a couple of Vanguard tripods.
Probably the best I have owned.
I know it is short notice but there is a 20% discount on all Vanguard products from the Vanguard website, WEX or CameraWorld.
The code is VGDTPS20
Only downside is that it ends tonight at midnight :rolleyes:

Travis ;) - https://www.wexphotovideo.com/3-legged-thing-punks-travis-with-airhed-neo-ballhead-1607778/

The Contax CZ is 685g plus adapter, A7 is 475g (I think) plus L Bracket so at least 1.2kg

Nice, I just weighed my gear and I also got weights of the stuff I'm going to buy.

5D2 + Tamron 70-300 1.8kg
5D2+ Canon 50mm 1.1kg

Sony a6600 + Sony 70-350mm 1.2kg
Sony a6600 + Sony 18-135 828g

So up to 2kg. Apparently the Travis takes 18kg, so that's good. I'll do a search on the forums for any other mentions of it. But unless anyone objects and says it's not good enough get something better, then I see myself buying it. It looks great, it's priced great, and I'm sure it would improve my photos 100x better than my tripod!

Thanks for the replies Chris, snerkler, Lee and Clint.

Lee, I used my Canon 50mm f1.8 to test so there's no image stabilisation. Is the 3LT travis tabletop solid?

Clint, I put my hand on top of the camera to see if would help with the double vision effect my shots were getting but it didn't. I was in liveview and what's called AF Quick mode on my 5D mk2, pressed the shutter to lock mirror up, waited for the little square to turn red and I took the shot. But I should have used the self timer.

Chris, good to know I can get one as solid as a tabletop, or even more so?? Wow, that's great. All I know so far about quality tripods is two big names, Gitzo and Manfrotto. I know nothing beyond that, or about ball heads or whatever I'd need to attach to it. I really can't afford to be paying £600 for one because I'm already about to spend about £2,500 on a new camera and lenses. But if you think there's a tabletop solid tripod in the £200 to £300 region then that would be my budget range. Or a more expensive one that I could find used on ebay or gumtree for less.

In terms of weight that I want to support: Canon 5Dmk2 with Canon 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 70-300 (Tamron weighs about 850g)
With new camera and lenses, it will be Sony a6600 with Sony 70-350mm G OSS, probably a Sony 18-135 OSS and probably either a Sony 10-18mm or a Samyang 8mm.
I don't think I'm going to have anything heavier than that. I would have gone for a much heavier 150-600 Sigma or Tamron with a new full frame camera but don't need to now. Although it would be nice to have a tripod that I know could support the weight of that sort of lens and one of the cameras.

My tripod weights 1.3kg, very plasticky but doesn't feel like it would break. It goes to just over 4ft high or just over 5ft with the centre post raised. So I'd like something that goes to about those sort of heights. It has a couple of spirit levels and a hook for hanging weights. But yeah, now that I know the true cost of a quality tripod, I'm embarrassed by my cheap one.

I'm not sure I'm too bothered about weight when taking the tripod out with me. Are we talking twice as heavy as mine?

snerkler, talking about remote shutter release, that's a much cheaper and favourable option for me. Do I really need a new tripod if I can just use a remote, or can a cheap tripod still get vibration from the ground?
Also, something I've never been sure of when using the self timer. I still have to press to focus before pressing the shutter to trigger the self timer. Couldn't just pressing to focus induce camera shake or does that not affect focus, only when the shot is actually taken?

As you can probably tell, I'm still pretty much a beginner! :)
In theory your cheap tripod should stay pretty sturdy if using a remote shutter, assuming no wind. What you can find is that cheaper tripods may start to ‘sag’ under the weight of the camera.

When using the self timer it allows time for any camera shake from pressing the shutter button to have settled. Of course this will depend on how long you’ve set the timer, how good your tripod is and how heavy and balanced the camera and lens equipment are.

I have a couple of Vanguard tripods.
Probably the best I have owned.
I know it is short notice but there is a 20% discount on all Vanguard products from the Vanguard website, WEX or CameraWorld.
The code is VGDTPS20
Only downside is that it ends tonight at midnight :rolleyes:

Ah, interesting. :) Can you tell me which ones you have and if you recommend one over the other? I can see at least seven Vanguard models on Wex. from £127 to £349.

Nice, I just weighed my gear and I also got weights of the stuff I'm going to buy.

5D2 + Tamron 70-300 1.8kg
5D2+ Canon 50mm 1.1kg

Sony a6600 + Sony 70-350mm 1.2kg
Sony a6600 + Sony 18-135 828g

So up to 2kg. Apparently the Travis takes 18kg, so that's good. I'll do a search on the forums for any other mentions of it. But unless anyone objects and says it's not good enough get something better, then I see myself buying it. It looks great, it's priced great, and I'm sure it would improve my photos 100x better than my tripod!
I just sold my carbon fibre manfrotto 190 tripod and ball head in favour of the 3LT Brian (very similar to the travis just a bit taller) and part of me is regretting it. The Manfrotto was a league above the 3LT imo. Felt much better made and the locking mechanisms were much better.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I’d read and watched loads of reviews and they all said how well made it was.

In theory your cheap tripod should stay pretty sturdy if using a remote shutter, assuming no wind. What you can find is that cheaper tripods may start to ‘sag’ under the weight of the camera.

When using the self timer it allows time for any camera shake from pressing the shutter button to have settled. Of course this will depend on how long you’ve set the timer, how good your tripod is and how heavy and balanced the camera and lens equipment are.

Thanks, I never considered camera sagging. Yes, when I've used self timer in the past, I've set it to 10 seconds rather than 2 seconds for the very reason you mentioned, to allow any camera shake to settle. So just for my own peace of mind, any camera shake when half pressing to focus won't create a blurry photo, it's only important that the camera has no shake when the shutter actually takes the shot, is that right?

Thanks, Box Brownie, these are suggestions I shall try, But if I went for a better tripod that is as solid as putting the camera on a tabletop or a concrete surface, does that mean I shouldn't need to hang anything from it?

In practical terms a decent tripod is a good investment and a well made one will need no such 'wheeze' to improve stability unless you are outside in windy conditions (for example).

FWIW I still have my Manfrotto (three leg sections) aluminium one.....it is darned heavy but imo very stable. I bought I think in the late 1980's! I have however changed heads over the years. Are the better and lighter ones that are equally or more stable, yes probably but for the number of times I need a tripod I cope with lugging it along when needed.

Thanks, I never considered camera sagging. Yes, when I've used self timer in the past, I've set it to 10 seconds rather than 2 seconds for the very reason you mentioned, to allow any camera shake to settle. So just for my own peace of mind, any camera shake when half pressing to focus won't create a blurry photo, it's only important that the camera has no shake when the shutter actually takes the shot, is that right?
Yes, only camera movement whilst the shutter is open will affect the shot, any movement during the 10s delay will not affect the image.

I have owned Manfrotto, Gitzo and my personal favourite FLM
Read an article yesterday about Charlie Waite and he uses a FLM tripod, decent enough recommendation

Buy a decent tripod and head, waste of time and money if you skimp on either component.
I do have a 3LT tripod that stays in the car, its a Punks Corey, only used it once very briefly though.
Other tripod I own is a Manfrotto Carbon Befree GT, not bad for the money and the head it comes with is ok too.

My daughter uses a tripod much more than me and now has the FLM tripod and head
Just been up in the Dales with it and Sony FF gear, supports that fine so would do you I'm sure

Last edited:
I have owned Manfrotto, Gitzo and my personal favourite FLM
Read an article yesterday about Charlie Waite and he uses a FLM tripod, decent enough recommendation

Buy a decent tripod and head, waste of time and money if you skimp on either component.
I do have a 3LT tripod that stays in the car, its a Punks Corey, only used it once very briefly though.
Other tripod I own is a Manfrotto Carbon Befree GT, not bad for the money and the head it comes with is ok too.

My daughter uses a tripod much more than me and now has the FLM tripod and head
Just been up in the Dales with it and Sony FF gear, supports that fine so would do you I'm sure

Thanks Rich. any particular FLM model and head, and price?

Thanks Rich. any particular FLM model and head, and price?

Here they are Lee, think they might be a bit over budget now
Gone up a bit, both came to about £450 when I bought them, but looks like the exchange rate might have messed that up
They are all German made and high quality with a ten year warranty.
This is the one I bought https://www.snapperstuff.com/tripods/flm-32-26-904-cp26-m4s-centrepod-tripod
With this head https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/ball...ll_head_with_srb40_quick_release/28963_p.html

Here they are Lee, think they might be a bit over budget now
Gone up a bit, both came to about £450 when I bought them, but looks like the exchange rate might have messed that up
They are all German made and high quality with a ten year warranty.
This is the one I bought https://www.snapperstuff.com/tripods/flm-32-26-904-cp26-m4s-centrepod-tripod
With this head https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/ball...ll_head_with_srb40_quick_release/28963_p.html

Thanks, Rich. Yeah, probably a bit much for me, but I'll keep it in my mind.

Yes, only camera movement whilst the shutter is open will affect the shot, any movement during the 10s delay will not affect the image.

Thanks snerkler! You've answered a burning question for me. (y) Because I've always been worried that I might have disturbed the focus and introduced some blur when pressing the back button focus. But clearly I haven't!

with any tripod you can choose two of the following three attributes:
- cheap
- sturdy
- lightweight.

you can get cheap and sturdy ones, but they are heavy
you can get lightweight but sturdy ones, but they're expensive.
you can get cheap lightweight ones but they're not very stable.

with any tripod you can choose two of the following three attributes:
- cheap
- sturdy
- lightweight.

you can get cheap and sturdy ones, but they are heavy
you can get lightweight but sturdy ones, but they're expensive.
you can get cheap lightweight ones but they're not very stable.

The last one.. that'll be mine then! It's funny, when I think of lightweight and expensive, I tend to wonder how it can be sturdy, I kind of expected it to be heavy, But I guess these carbon fibre and aluminium ones have the necessary strengths.

The last one.. that'll be mine then! It's funny, when I think of lightweight and expensive, I tend to wonder how it can be sturdy, I kind of expected it to be heavy, But I guess these carbon fibre and aluminium ones have the necessary strengths.

You get what you pay for. By all means buy a cheap lightweight one but you will still need a decent one if you want good stability.

You get what you pay for. By all means buy a cheap lightweight one but you will still need a decent one if you want good stability.

Oh I definitely want a decent one and not another cheapo. I'm getting good suggestions on different tripods here. I'm leaning more towards the 3 legged Travis at the moment but haven't made up my mind yet.

Anything with an adjustable central column is not deemed to be that stable IMHO.

Anything with an adjustable central column is not deemed to be that stable IMHO.

Why?
If its in the retracted position makes no difference.
Can also come in handy when you need an off centre angle or that extra bit of elevation.
The loss in stability would be offset by the ability to get the photo.

Have you owned both types to compare in use?

Thanks snerkler! You've answered a burning question for me. (y) Because I've always been worried that I might have disturbed the focus and introduced some blur when pressing the back button focus. But clearly I haven't!
I'm not 100% sure we're talking about the same thing here? Back button focus (BBF) and the shutter release are two different things. When set up with BBF the BBF button focuses, and all the shutter button does is release the shutter, it won't re-focus.

If using BBF the preferred method (imo) when using the 10s timer would be use the BBF to focus, press the shutter to take the shot and then don't touch the camera again during the 10s delay or whilst the shutter is open. The same applies using a remote shutter, the whole point is that you don't touch the camera whilst the shutter is open, or immediately prior to the shutter being open so that camera shake is minimised.

Of course if you're not using BBF or manual focus then every time you press the shutter then it will re-focus and of course introduce a risk of poor focus.

Some points to consider when buying a tripod. Intended use, I.e video and stills, are you going to be carrying it all day or just short distances, what locking mechanisms do you prefer on the legs, what height do you want it to go up to or do you want to go low to the ground, if you intend to fly this might have to be put in your hold luggage.

I bought my first tripod 20 years ago...geez....Manfrotto 055Pro in Aluminium, carbon fibre wasn't really a cheap alternative but to this day it is my go to sturdy tripod. I'd pick it over my Gitzo traveller or anything else. It was about £160 with a pan and tily head, the whole thing is still like new to this day, very solid (although i don't put it in the water).

I prefer the lever lock type of leg lock rather than the twist. I had a heart in mouth moment once when a twist lock leg collapsed but thankfully caught the camera. I had good service from a Manfrotto 190XPROB that I probably bought from this forum and more recently upgraded to a set of 055 carbon fibre legs also from here. Wife commandeered the 190 for herself.

Back