Ian's 52 for 2021

'Tis a chicken! A type of Aracuana, and Mrs H would shoot me for forgetting :)
I thought it should be but I couldn't quite work it out.
Having googled it, I see it now (y)

Lovey shot and well done for finishing it on film :jawdrop: had my doubts at times. I have really enjoyed your thread this year.

Great final image - well done for making the year... and on film!
Thanks Paul. It wasn't the developing as much as the need to finish a roll on time.

Lovey shot and well done for finishing it on film :jawdrop: had my doubts at times. I have really enjoyed your thread this year.
Cheers Allan, I had my doubts too :)

Really love the look of your book Ian, and a really nice image to finish off with.

Wishing you all the best for 2022.
Thanks Be, and thanks for your comments over the year.

A great image Ian, and a story that's just as good.

What a great Image and Story Ian.
Cheers Bill & Pete. The meaning behind the photo will always win out for me, even if technical side falls down.

A lovely personal shot for you to finish on.
Happy New Year!
Thanks Simon, and thanks for stopping by even when I didn't make it to your thread. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones too.

Week 49: Still Life

A toss up this week between my newly renovated office and simple camera pron.

View attachment 338184
It's a small room and I was as wide as I could go and as far back as I could go to get everything in. I wanted the keyboard to be central, but I also wanted my neon sign in the shot (early Christmas present from Mrs H who was too excited to save it!). Because of that I had to move the mic boom over the desk which I think was a big mistake. Also didn't pull the chair back far enough to keep it out of shot.

This is the iphone version from when I'd just finished it. I also think this would have been better in colour, but no chance of getting colour film back in the week, or even finishing a roll of colour at the moment.
View attachment 338186

The better shot was probably this one, but the office was what I wanted, and even though it has quite a few issues, I prefer it.

View attachment 338185

If I was allowed to keep only one camera and one lens, this would be it.
The B&W of the office would be my preference Ian and the MP of course. ;)

Week 52: Showcase

This was a tricky one, although it was nice to finish off without having to take a photo. I had three to choose from, but this one keeps the overall theme of "home documentary" that's been running on and off throughout the year.

View attachment 339396

An example of when a failed photo becomes a treasure I think. I was using an RB67 which is hella difficult to focus close up, and I've completely missed both subjects instead getting some pin sharp hair. I have better technical photos, but this is my favourite.

Lavendar came to us in quite a state. She was the first chicken we had to actually bathe in the sink to get all the crusty oomscah off her, she was woefully thin, and very dejected. After her bath, she went in a box by the fire to dry off, then outside with the other girls. Her feathers obscure her eyes quite a bit, but she bumbles around happily now and will always come to Mrs H for a cuddle. This is a picture about love, and how important and emotive it can be. And it's my favourite picture of 2021.

Thanks to @Cobra for organising, as well as @LC2 for that spreadsheet... :)

And thankyou so much to all who have commented and engaged with my thread over the year. I haven't replied to everything, settling to just add a like to say thanks. But reading your comments has kept me going throughout the process.

The book is now in draft and I ended up adding my own commentary to the images (just a copy paste from my thread). Looking back through it has provided invaluable thoughts and whilst there will only ever be one copy of it, I imagine it'll be something I go back to quite a bit.

Have a happy new year all. Best wishes for 2022.
View attachment 339401
Well done for finishing Ian, I was going to try it but Chickened out (see what I did there :ROFLMAO: ) and just did one of my own. I often look at people's 52s on here and am amazed how they come up with the photos for the themes. I'm going to be a bit braver this year and I have signed up for the FPOTY 2022, already strugglingwith the Jan theme. :banghead:

Well done for finishing Ian, I was going to try it but Chickened out (see what I did there :ROFLMAO: ) and just did one of my own. I often look at people's 52s on here and am amazed how they come up with the photos for the themes. I'm going to be a bit braver this year and I have signed up for the FPOTY 2022, already strugglingwith the Jan theme. :banghead:
I think the first couple of months are harder because you have less options. As the year goes on, your archive grows and you have more to choose from as well as plenty of "if I don't get anything good, at least I can use that". I agree with the Jan theme though... Wholly dependent on the weather.

I think the first couple of months are harder because you have less options. As the year goes on, your archive grows and you have more to choose from as well as plenty of "if I don't get anything good, at least I can use that". I agree with the Jan theme though... Wholly dependent on the weather.
My trouble with the Jan theme is I don't like taking my film cameras out in the rain so I'm struggling a bit. I have a setup in mind but it has to be absolutely chucking it down to work the lighter rain doesn't show on the film.

L1010245.JPG

This is not the shot just the taking position (door open to take the shot of course) :sneaky:

It's always gratifying to give an animal a decent life. I did it with one of my dogs, rehoming him when no one else would go near him (and for good reason). He is a lovely dog now and very, very happy with his forever home.

Well done on completing the 2021 52.

Enjoyed perusing your images I missed at the time, now trying to at least add comments on some, hope you find them interesting if nothing else. :)

Culture
Inside film photography where you need flash makes me even more thankful of the digital camera benefits. That being said it is all the moment which is well captured. I'm trying to remember back to using a Minolta point and shoot when my daughters were born, maybe it was luck more than anything else that the majority were exposed right.

Living
The grain is certainly evident here, do you have a similar example with the HP5 film you prefer?

Still Life
I like how the pockets of light emanating from the different sources fill the scene, I'm not convinced the same effect could be achieved digitally.

Miniature
I like the way the books at the bottom create a step. Your model has maintained good eye contact too :)

Seasonal
I think an image somewhere between the two in terms of focus would be perfect. I would find it hard enough getting something in focus using film without deliberately trying to achieve something aesthetically pleasing out of focus.

Showcase
A fitting image to end the year, here's hoping everyone shows a bit more compassion and in return 2022 is kinder to everyone.

Is this the end of your film 52's, I have really enjoyed what you have captured.

Thanks for taking the time to go through these Stuart.

The grain is certainly evident here, do you have a similar example with the HP5 film you prefer?

In regards to your question about P3200 vs HP5, the shot on the left is P3200 at ISO 1600, and the shot on the right is HP5 at 1600. Both 35mm. I know they are different subjects, but it's easy to spot the difference in mid tone greys. HP5 is so much cleaner.

2021-12-05-p3200-300v-29.jpg

Is this the end of your film 52's,
Absolutely. Yes. It's not the developing, it's the finishing of the roll that has my images on it. Also, it's quite an effort to keep going (as I'm sure you know) and I was just plain relieved when it was done!

Fascinating to see the comparison @Harlequin565.

I was hugely relieved to finish my first 52 in 2017 after constantly falling behind. It was 2020 before I dipped my toe in again - and this was with easy peasy digital - not nearly so much effort. It is so impressive that you have done the 52 with film and barely fell behind ever, if at all. I have really enjoyed seeing your images over the year so thank you for joining in.

Back