Ilford Simplicity kit

I don't see any benefit of these pouches unless of course they're aimed at folk that are unable to do simple maths to calculate concentrate / solution quantities.

Tbh it looks to me like a "modern new toy" ( aka Gimmic), probably with a price tag that massively ecxceeds buying bottled chems as a way for ilford to make a quick buck.:rolleyes:

In the Fourties Johnsons of hendon sold small packs of chemical aimed at beginners. But at a very low price. I know, because it is about all my pocket money would stretch to.

I don't see any benefit of these pouches unless of course they're aimed at folk that are unable to do simple maths to calculate concentrate / solution quantities.

Tbh it looks to me like a "modern new toy" ( aka Gimmic), probably with a price tag that massively ecxceeds buying bottled chems as a way for ilford to make a quick buck.:rolleyes:
I know what you're saying, but I think the kit might well appeal to those who want to start processing without investing in bigger quantities of chemicals and worrying about them going off. The tank and spirals are a cost, but otherwise they could use cheap plastic kitchen measures for the chemicals. I guess price will be the big thing as to whether the kit is a success or not, but at least Ilford are trying to expand their market.

Agreed that this is a high price for a single roll of 120 with maybe 12 frames, but you'll get 72 frames off the two 35mm films, so that might be more attractive to its target market. I think there are issues with the amount of packaging involved for such a small amount of chemicals, but that's a different matter. It'll stand or fall on whether there is a real market for the product, but I thought it was an interesting alternative at least.

The other thing is that the stop and fix should be reusable, while the washing agent only uses 2 capfuls from the pouch. This might suggest a plan to sell the pouches of developer separately, so that would make the pricing more attractive as well.

Last edited:
Yes I saw the chems offered seperatley when searching for prices of the kit so that idea is already in place.

Here's hoping Ilford have made it clear in the instructions ( to those folk not too familiar to developing products / processes) that the the fixer etc can be re-used .

Is this basically the 'Nespresso' of film processing? :D

Ilford just need to make the machine part too. Tank, heater, agitator and a bell to tell you when it is ready and they would be on to a winner if they get the price point right, Just make sure nobody elses pods fit the machine, a little chip should do that. Heads over to Mobberly with a sketch ...:exit:

£15 to develop just one roll of 120 film?! :eek: I think I'll save my money and use one of these instead! (y)

I think it's fine for trying out B&W development as a first timer or for maybe just trying out the different developers instead of buying the big bottles.

I think it's fine for trying out B&W development as a first timer or for maybe just trying out the different developers instead of buying the big bottles.

I agree, as an investment to see if its something you're happy doing, its a good idea.

Don't manufacturers of other products offer cheap sample packs to encourage sales? Paint match pots spring to mind here. £15 sounds fairly expensive to me for developing one roll of film, particularly when you take postage costs (£5+) into account as well as the cost of the pack itself. Perhaps including a voucher in the starter pack for £7.50 off your first purchase of full-size developer and fixer bottles might make it more appealing to first-time users?

I absolutely agree that this is maybe not an attractive proposition for those who are well set-up to do their own processing, but I was posting it as a relatively positive story at a time when it appears that Tetenal are possibly going to fold and Fuji are discontinuing films. The stop and fix are re-usable, so it isn't entirely a one-off cost for a single film. The trick may now be to offer alternative developers to try out before buying bigger bottles?

The trick may now be to offer alternative developers to try out before buying bigger bottles

I dunno if companies such as Ilford follow forums such as TP to gain a certain amount of "customer feedback / ideas" but that would, imo, be a good move, not least of all as Ilford produce a number of different developers.

The folding of Tetenal is a real shame and a bit of a surprise to me tbh as I used the kits and found them very easy, thus producing some very good results, primarily C41 but also some E6.

Finding that I really do prefer monochrome images to colour ( both film and digi), I stopped purchasing the kits ( which although only a "drop in the ocean", won't have helped their cause!)
I really did think that there was a reasonable market out there for home deving colour film given how much C41 appears to be shot.

I dunno if companies such as Ilford follow forums such as TP to gain a certain amount of "customer feedback / ideas" but that would, imo, be a good move, not least of all as Ilford produce a number of different developers.

The folding of Tetenal is a real shame and a bit of a surprise to me tbh as I used the kits and found them very easy, thus producing some very good results, primarily C41 but also some E6.

Finding that I really do prefer monochrome images to colour ( both film and digi), I stopped purchasing the kits ( which although only a "drop in the ocean", won't have helped their cause!)
I really did think that there was a reasonable market out there for home deving colour film given how much C41 appears to be shot.
Ilford is following photrio(APUG)

The stop and fix are re-usable, so it isn't entirely a one-off cost for a single film. The trick may now be to offer alternative developers to try out before buying bigger bottles?

Now if they'd included 3 different developers in that trial pack for the same price then (providing there was enough stop and fix to handle 3 or 6 rolls of film) I might have been tempted.

Back