I'm back

Very nice portrait style selfie Gav, probably the best one so far in my opinion.

I agree with George, this is probably the best one yet.

I'll be contrary and say it's my least favourite. The expression isn't as intense as the others - maybe because you're feeling shy? If that is the case then really play with that - show that feeling by tilting your head down or looking away from the camera.

The other thing I note as critique is the light has highlighted where you haven't got any sun on your upper chest. You can either flag this or pull it down in post. My preference would be to do your shirt up as it's easier!

Also do try the forehead push towards the camera. Trust me, you'll love how it looks in the image. :)

Overall though, I'm just glad that you're doing this and posting them here to keep this forum alive.

I'll be contrary and say it's my least favourite. The expression isn't as intense as the others -
That's why I prefer it, Gav's not trying to be aggressive, it's more natural looking.
Also do try the forehead push towards the camera. Trust me, you'll love how it looks in the image. :)
It can work, with certain shaped heads, but it's an aggressive stance, I'm not sure if that is what Gav is trying to portray.
Of course, I could be wrong, and stand to be corrected.

It can work, with certain shaped heads, but it's an aggressive stance, I'm not sure if that is what Gav is trying to portray.
Of course, I could be wrong, and stand to be corrected.
It’s not aggressive. In fact, it doesn’t really register at all except to remove slack around the jaw. It feels mad to sitters when they you ask them to do it, but it’s almost magic.

It’s not aggressive. In fact, it doesn’t really register at all except to remove slack around the jaw. It feels mad to sitters when they you ask them to do it, but it’s almost magic.
We'll have to agree to disagree in that case.

@The23rdman @Cobra
Hi Dean & Chris, sorry for not quoting the above I'll just chat, hope you don't mind :)

First up thank you for the Crit (y) I agree the ghostly white chest of a ginger is probably best kept covered :LOL:

I'll be honest my stance/pose is as natural as I get especially when I'm feeling a bit shy etc.. I tend to cross my arms or hold them over my chest as a 'defence', I had my arms crossed in some but I looked really guarded or trying to sell a male grooming product :ROFLMAO:

I tried the head tilt and I felt I'd done a bit in this one, but my forehead is huge and my brow sticks out a bit and a slight tilt seems to go stright to aggression (I love playing with that) Em says I'm a Neanderthal :p
I'm never comfortable in front of the camera and find it very tricky to relax, I'll keep trying things out and hopefully get better(?) at it.

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate the time everyone puts in :)

Hi Gav

I have no crit to add. I'll leave that to those whom know what there talking about.
It's great to see you and really great to see you conquer yet another genre of photography.
Well done with these they all look good to me.

Gaz

Last edited:
Hi Gav

I have no crit to add. I'll leave that to those whom know what there talking about.
It's great to see you and really great to see you conquer yet another genre of photography.
Well done with these they all look god to me.

Gaz
Hi Gaz
You seem to know what you're doing! :)
Thank you, I'd love to get a grip on a few more skills (y)

My only take from someone who has done not done any portrait work, so just my personal take, is that the arms tend to draw the eye from the face and the full arm across acts as a barrier, the right hand would better on your left bicep . Perhaps darken them and lighten the face (without lightening the chest). Apart from that, I do like them.

Last edited:
My only take from someone who has done not done any portrait work, so just my personal take, is that the arms tend to draw the eye from the face and the full arm across acts as a barrier, the right hand would better on your left bicep . Perhaps darken them and lighten the face (without lightening the chest). Apart from that, I do like them.
Thank you for the feedback :)

Back