I'm sure you hate new film wannabee's but... :-D

If it does turn out to be borked (which it may - it had been in dry storage at work for a number of years) let me know and i'll lend you a different body ( I have a fair few)

A warm welcome from me too:welcome:(y)

Should you ever head southwards as in about 80O miles or so south :D, then be sure to give me a shout................more than welcome to play with a whole array of kit...dev and scan too if you wish.*

Already had more than one TP member drop in on me ....... I think they use "borrowing Ashas gear" as an excuse to visit south of France :D

@ TBY......I'll even supply the cheese for the board so long as you supply the :jaffa: :p

To be honest, quite a few of us find that actually shooting a "modern" film SLR that shares lenses with the dijikal variants can sometimes feel just a little too similar to shooting on the digital. For me, it depends on my mood - there are times when I want to just shoot in a very "old-school" way - full manual settings, handheld lightmeter, the whole 9 yards. Other times, say if I've been asked by a band to get some shots on film, then I'll definitely go for the all-singing, all-dancing Film SLR like my EOS-3 (which is pretty much identical in handling to something like a modern EOS5Dii but with the AF from a 1Diii) FWIW I think you may be going the right way with the Pentax for a tryout...

I actually got back into shooting on film again because at the time I was unable to get outdoors taking photo's for more than a couple of hours at a time. So, shooting on film allowed me to spend time on my hobby whilst still at home - with the developing, scanning and retouching side taking substantially more time than shooting digital did... I actually got into shooting film BECAUSE it took longer to see the image - one of the much vaunted "problems" or "failings" that some people level at shooting on film.

If it does turn out to be borked (which it may - it had been in dry storage at work for a number of years) let me know and i'll lend you a different body ( I have a fair few)

Thanks, Well i have no idea, i guess because i don't know the camera as yet i have no idea if it works or not, i am assuming i won't know till i put film in it maybe.. the only thing confusing me is i can't get it off AUTO.. i had guessed you press the little white button but it doesn't move:thinking:

I'm going to read the manual and see if i am doing something wrong.

A warm welcome from me too:welcome:(y)

Should you ever head southwards as in about 80O miles or so south :D, then be sure to give me a shout................more than welcome to play with a whole array of kit...dev and scan too if you wish.*

Already had more than one TP member drop in on me ....... I think they use "borrowing Ashas gear" as an excuse to visit south of France :D

@ TBY......I'll even supply the cheese for the board so long as you supply the :jaffa: :p

Thank you Asha you are very kind!... popping to the south of france for coffee and film fun sounds bloody ace to me! put the kettle on:LOL:

To be honest, quite a few of us find that actually shooting a "modern" film SLR that shares lenses with the dijikal variants can sometimes feel just a little too similar to shooting on the digital. For me, it depends on my mood - there are times when I want to just shoot in a very "old-school" way - full manual settings, handheld lightmeter, the whole 9 yards. Other times, say if I've been asked by a band to get some shots on film, then I'll definitely go for the all-singing, all-dancing Film SLR like my EOS-3 (which is pretty much identical in handling to something like a modern EOS5Dii but with the AF from a 1Diii) FWIW I think you may be going the right way with the Pentax for a tryout...

I actually got back into shooting on film again because at the time I was unable to get outdoors taking photo's for more than a couple of hours at a time. So, shooting on film allowed me to spend time on my hobby whilst still at home - with the developing, scanning and retouching side taking substantially more time than shooting digital did... I actually got into shooting film BECAUSE it took longer to see the image - one of the much vaunted "problems" or "failings" that some people level at shooting on film.

It is the almost old school shooting that is getting me excited, i kinda want the older cameras, away from being to similar to what i'm used to... i WANT to wait, to have that excitement and i guess to, to actually THINK more in taking the photograph, i do hope once i have tried that i love it as much as i feel i'm going to, to learn how to do it all.. it is too easy to go out and take a thousand shots, just because you can.. i want/need to think.

Thanks, Well i have no idea, i guess because i don't know the camera as yet i have no idea if it works or not, i am assuming i won't know till i put film in it maybe.. the only thing confusing me is i can't get it off AUTO.. i had guessed you press the little white button but it doesn't move:thinking:

I'm going to read the manual and see if i am doing something wrong.

I do know it works physically - that is the film winds on, and the shutter fires and it appears to be light tight - I suspect the metering could be knackered (unless i was truly stupid and put the old batteries back in by mistake... that would be irritating as i chucked what i thought were the old ones away)

I'm not sure what you mean about the Auto but its been a long time since used an ME - i'm sure one of the guys here will know

Very much so, Mark (on all points!) I think that apart from the fact that my financial situation had improved somewhat, my return to photography after some years of absence came down to the fact that modern cameras actually were so automated but didn't have to be. On of my last outings before I left school was with a friend's A-1 and after many years of Pentax screw mounts (having a built in meter in my last one, a Spotty), having any sort of automation was akin to black magic!

I found that I was using the auto modes most of the time on the F65 and finally settled on P mode since it allows as much control as the others but picks its idea of the ideal exposure (and was usually pretty spot on!) and soon learned when it was likely to get it wrong so could dial in the compensation (or even go full manual!). I've carried this through to d*****l, using P mode almost exclusively but very often dialing away from the camera's suggestion to get any setting I feel appropriate. I even use the other automatic modes from time to time when I want a specific parameter to remain constant (ie motorsport, when I prefer to use S set to about 1/125th for panning). Still use a set ISO rather than let the camera decide that though!

I really should take the film bodies out more - I've still got a few rolls in the fridge! I might even see if the OM-10 still works...

It is the almost old school shooting that is getting me excited, i kinda want the older cameras, away from being to similar to what i'm used to... i WANT to wait, to have that excitement and i guess to, to actually THINK more in taking the photograph, i do hope once i have tried that i love it as much as i feel i'm going to, to learn how to do it all.. it is too easy to go out and take a thousand shots, just because you can.. i want/need to think.

This is almost the perfect reason for choosing film. it's taking that extra time to get it right that is imposed by film length, but is such a gret discipline that it helps improve all aspects of our photography.

I think the fact you are going into film with this attitude and outlook is a good sign, and I'm confident that you will enjoy it and become a regular around here. Be careful...it can be addictive :)

The reason i still shoot film is pretty much to play with the old cameras - i rarely use my newer film bodies (Ive got an eos30 and an eos 3) but theres somethhing inherently satisfying about playing with a fully mechanical camera - its like big boys mechano ;)

This is almost the perfect reason for choosing film. it's taking that extra time to get it right that is imposed by film length, but is such a gret discipline that it helps improve all aspects of our photography.

I think the fact you are going into film with this attitude and outlook is a good sign, and I'm confident that you will enjoy it and become a regular around here. Be careful...it can be addictive :)

Excellent..:banana: ....With the addictive, yes i can totally see that and i haven't even started yet, i think learning some amount of self control will have to be initiated at the same time as getting to grips, ( or don't feed the kids:eek::D)

Right guys on the camera dial, it's set to auto.. the other setting s are 100x B and L.... i can't get the dial to move to any of these, the little white bit/button seems to just pop out?... semi reading the manual at the moment i won't need these other settings is that correct?

that's shutter speeds i think - B will be bulb, i can't remember off hand what the other two are , but you need to leave it in auto anyway (thats not full auto like on a DSLR, its essentially AV - you pick an apperture , on the lens, and the camera pics a speed to match) - i wouldn't be suprised if its stuck because i doubt work ever did anything creative with it.

yeah i realised it wasn't fully automatic in that sense! the 100x it says in the manual if you don't have spare batteries and they die you can use the 100x or for using flash, B bulb as yet no i won't be doing any long exposures with it so that's cool....L is lock

cool - looks like you could be using 100x if the meters borked then - i'd guess that its a set shutter speed setting so that you can use it with an external meter, though that will be pretty limiting if the meter is buggered

The more i think about this the more i think i should have lent you the fully functional ME super or OM10 I have as learning film with a semi functional camera is not ideal... the reason i didnt is that the ME and its two lenses were a gift not a loan.

I have a sneaky feeling I have an ME super kicking about somewhere. I can't remember whether it is the camera I have that has the shutter stick when the battery is in as I have a practica nova somewhere too. Not used either.

Last edited:
cool - looks like you could be using 100x if the meters borked then - i'd guess that its a set shutter speed setting so that you can use it with an external meter, though that will be pretty limiting if the meter is buggered

The more i think about this the more i think i should have lent you the fully functional ME super or OM10 I have as learning film with a semi functional camera is not ideal... the reason i didnt is that the ME and its two lenses were a gift not a loan.

No can't use 100x as it won't move off Auto, I'll get new batteries just to try but no light meter is happening with what it's in, i can experiment/guess with app or something......... The fact you let me have these to play with is appreciated, you knew i wanted to have a mess about, i feel it's more than that now though the more i look in to it, so i can play with this, try it out and then shop around like i had initially thought.... i have something in mind i'd like anyway :)

I have a sneaky feeling I have an ME super kicking about somewhere. I can't remember whether it is the camera I have that has the shutter stick when the battery is in as I have a practica nova somewhere too. Not used either.

By any chance once you start messing with film you want to try more and more of the different film cameras?

getting the stuck button fixed, or fixing it yourself ought to be reasonably cheap, it may just need a bit of lubricant as its probably been in one position for about 10 years - i'm sure someone more experienced at taking these things apart like @TheBigYin could advise - the joy of these cameras is as they are mechinacl its reasonably easy to fix stuff, not like modern ones that are all electronic circuit boards

By any chance once you start messing with film you want to try more and more of the different film cameras?

I think there is that urge but now I have the dynax I always dreamed of I find it less of a problem :)

Thanks, i'll look into getting it looked at, the teeny white button drops out if you turn it upside down to check batteries so that may have something t odo with it not moving, i'll look into seeing if there is somewhere local

Isnt the tiny white button just a bit of plastic with no actual function - the switch should just turn , if it doesnt its probably stuck from lack of use. IMO unless either the meters working or you can get it into 100 (which as i thought sets the shutter to a fixed 1/100) then it isnt going to be useable as in auto the shutter speed requires the battery /meter to work

No, reading the manual you press that button to then turn the dial....so it must have some function somewhere, it looks like a tiny hole if you look through to the metal under the dial, i'm guessing a pin or something,as for it working i can only order new batts and go from there.

Don't forget to check the battery compartment for corrosion as a bad connection can cause all sorts of problems.

If you did want to have a play around with some other cameras, ive got an OM-10 with a 28mm f1.8 you could have a go on (y)

Don't forget to check the battery compartment for corrosion as a bad connection can cause all sorts of problems.

I think it looked ok in there but I will have another look to make sure.

If you did want to have a play around with some other cameras, ive got an OM-10 with a 28mm f1.8 you could have a go on (y)

Ooh I just googled that (clueless with all film) it looks sexy!.. Thank you! If I can't get this Pentax going I may just shout you :D

Pentax ME and 50mm 1.7, great combo! That was my main set for 40 years. Batteries... check the manual from the butkus site, you may have the batteries upside down (that's how they were when I got my ME back from a loan to my son... he grumbled that it had stopped working). Grubbiness on the exterior probably doesn't matter too much, check out the interior, maybe use your blower to loosen any dust. The most likely problem inside is dodgy film seals and mirror bumpers; you can get a replacement kit for a tenner or so and do them yourself. If I can, you can! Anything more than that, you'll need a Clean, Lube and Adjust (CLA), this will cost you £50-£70 or so, Miles Whitehead has done well for me, and there's also Asahi Brentford, I'm thinking of using them as Miles doesn't have a part needed for my ME...

@ChrisR The words i fear most "do it yourself" although i guess if i don't at least try i'll never get anywhere.... :D

Batteries i am going to try both ways if not get some more, if they don't work am i then buggered? also the dial won't move from auto, there is a little white button that in the manual it says to press and then you can choose L B or 100x, but it doesn't move and the little white bit just falls out, as in it did and i spent about an hour on the floor whilst i was looking at the batteries lol.. am i going to be stuck?

never used said camera , but it sounds like the button is a dial lock ,,and its not doing its job properly ,,is there anything you can use to poke into the ( top of the dial ? ) and then try and turn it ?

That little white button IS the dial lock. You need to push it down to turn it away from Auto, but you can always turn it back to Auto without pressing it down. So if that's the only problem, you should wiggle it around, and where it stops should be Auto! I'm guessing that's not helpful in your case!

Colour or black and white?

For colour, you can't go wrong with most colour films available now and whilst it may vary from place to place, the supermarkets with minilabs in are a good place to start for processing and printing and/or scans on CD.

However, the real fun (in my opinion) is with black and white processed at home.

If you want to try this, go to Ilford's website as they have a good selection of guides in PDF form.

And if you need a developing tank, I (and many others I suspect) could donate one.

Perhaps... see my camera list under my profile picture!

Steve.

Last edited:
Not all "old" cameras work without batteries - some have electronic shutters and need a battery to have a full range of shutter speeds. I just checked on the Pentax ME (as I recalled from when it came out that it was more electronically advanced than the MX) and it appears to be limited to a shutter speed of 1/125th second if there are no (working) batteries.

If you're using negative film rather than slide (and I recommend this) then you have much greater exposure latitude than with digital. You should be able most times outside to get away with the "sunny 16" rule and forget about a meter. Use a meter for a short while (or note what your DLSR is telling you) and it's easy to estimate exposure in most conditions to within a half stop anyway.

To answer an earlier question - yes, you can get the films developed and scanned, and later get a scanner and do it yourself. And even develop them yourself if the bug strikes.

Welcome to film.

That little white button IS the dial lock. You need to push it down to turn it away from Auto, but you can always turn it back to Auto without pressing it down. So if that's the only problem, you should wiggle it around, and where it stops should be Auto! I'm guessing that's not helpful in your case!

I think its stuck on auto - it had been a National Trust Ranger team camera for years before it was stored, then it was in the loft for about 5 years - its probably not been off auto in its life. - its a good call on sticking something in the top and wiggling it a bit (benefit of this is if it doesn't work its scrap anyway , so i'm not worried if T breaks it).

Battery wise - also a good call I can't remember which way up they were before I changed them. and ditto on corrosion in the compartment - cleaning it with a pencil rubber is probably the way to go.

As I say if this all fails I'm happy to lend T my pentax ME super which is definitely fully functional and compatible with the 80-210 lens that is with the current ME

ME is a great little camera, not much point in a manual, it's a permanent Aperture priority camera so the few dials it has should be self explanaotory! Pull the rewind knob up to open the back, film leader gets pushed into the reel between any two white fingers, ISO speed dial / Exposure compensation on the left, aperture on the lens and shutter button on top. Pentax Glass and Kodak Ektar = Lovely by the way.

Colour or black and white?

For colour, you can't go wrong with most colour films available now and whilst it may vary from place to place, the supermarkets with minilabs in are a good place to start for processing and printing and/or scans on CD.

However, the real fun (in my opinion) is with black and white processed at home.

If you want to try this, go to Ilford's website as they have a good selection of guides in PDF form.

And if you need a developing tank, I (and many others I suspect) could donate one.

Perhaps... see my camera list under my profile picture!

Steve.

I can see me being very very tempted to try doing it at home:D

Edit: 71 film?!..

Last edited:
ME is a great little camera, not much point in a manual, it's a permanent Aperture priority camera so the few dials it has should be self explanaotory! Pull the rewind knob up to open the back, film leader gets pushed into the reel between any two white fingers, ISO speed dial / Exposure compensation on the left, aperture on the lens and shutter button on top. Pentax Glass and Kodak Ektar = Lovely by the way.

Well yes but i looked at it and thought eek! upon looking at manual briefly yes i see that it is quite self explanatory, I just hope the batteries i ordered work or i shall be disappointed now:D

I think its stuck on auto - it had been a National Trust Ranger team camera for years before it was stored, then it was in the loft for about 5 years - its probably not been off auto in its life. - its a good call on sticking something in the top and wiggling it a bit (benefit of this is if it doesn't work its scrap anyway , so i'm not worried if T breaks it).

Battery wise - also a good call I can't remember which way up they were before I changed them. and ditto on corrosion in the compartment - cleaning it with a pencil rubber is probably the way to go.

As I say if this all fails I'm happy to lend T my pentax ME super which is definitely fully functional and compatible with the 80-210 lens that is with the current ME

I've ordered new!

If you are where you say you are in your profile pane; you're about three junctions down the M6 from me.
If you want a second set of eyes on it; and risk journeying so far north, I'd happy have a look, prod & poke, though no expert on Pentax's.
If no joy, can send you away with loan of a Zenith, and meter, that I know works; and has a fresh (Well, ood {out-of-date} 2004 dated Kodak!) film loaded after my daughter abandoned her exploration of film, when her GCSE teacher started setting 'deadlines'! "Noooo Dad! I need them by TOMORROW!":LOL: Or maybe, if we can find many batteries, one of the OM's and one of those spawn of satan 'zoom' lenseso_O

well im very dissapointed that none of the previous callers have given you the WARNING
you must be told before you start ,,you may find that when you start you cant stop .
you could be on the very slippery slope of actualy getting enjoyment from using film ,,
its hardly noticeable at first ,but then suddenly you look around you ,and there are three or four film cameras just sitting there looking at you pleading to be taken out instead of the others ,decisions decisions

Err... yeah.... it gets you that way! Last week, I decided to have a tidy-up, as when I looked up from my monitor, from where I was sitting, I actually had 10 working cameras in my field of view, and eleven rolls of film! (I can only see five cameras and 8 rolls of film now I've tidied a bit!)

If you are where you say you are in your profile pane; you're about three junctions down the M6 from me.
If you want a second set of eyes on it; and risk journeying so far north, I'd happy have a look, prod & poke, though no expert on Pentax's.
If no joy, can send you away with loan of a Zenith, and meter, that I know works; and has a fresh (Well, ood {out-of-date} 2004 dated Kodak!) film loaded after my daughter abandoned her exploration of film, when her GCSE teacher started setting 'deadlines'! "Noooo Dad! I need them by TOMORROW!":LOL: Or maybe, if we can find many batteries, one of the OM's and one of those spawn of satan 'zoom' lenseso_O

Err... yeah.... it gets you that way! Last week, I decided to have a tidy-up, as when I looked up from my monitor, from where I was sitting, I actually had 10 working cameras in my field of view, and eleven rolls of film! (I can only see five cameras and 8 rolls of film now I've tidied a bit!)

Yes that is my location, it was originally "inside your mind" but i thought i best be a bit sensible:D

I have batteries coming hopefully in the next day or 2 so if they don't work then if your offer still stands that would be ace thank you, as i said i am totally clueless with film cameras (maybe anything technical):LOL:... Whereabouts in Warwickshire are you?

I have batteries coming hopefully in the next day or 2 so if they don't work then if your offer still stands that would be ace thank you, as i said i am totally clueless with film cameras (maybe anything technical):LOL:... Whereabouts in Warwickshire are you?

M6 Junction 3, Turn Right. About four roundabouts, 2-miles ish from the motorway. If you look on a map, look for 'Arbury-Hall', it's gates are at the end of the road at the end of my road!

Also why CG-Girl? Is that a reference to the little Honda Commuter? If it is... don't come; or plan a LONG stay! I have a garden full of little, and actually, not so little, Honda's too! (Me & the O/H renovate CB125 Super-Dreams) Actually... CG on L's... you might have to come up the A5... means cutting across town, but nice little tiddler-toddle!

However; as said in first comment; before there was anything else; used to give film cameras to kids who could barely write their own name; don't make life hard for yourself 'thinking' and 'fretting' about it all so much! (err... that's advice I keep giving new bike rider's too, actually!) Anyway, Its a picture making box with a button. You point, and press, and get a picture. It don't have to be ANY more complicated than that!

Back