I'm sure you hate new film wannabee's but... :-D

Cg_Girl

Jamie Oliver's best friend.
Name
T.
Edit My Images
Yes
I would really like to give this ago and have for some time now... so i don't want to ask silly/basic questions,(yet):D because if i;m honest i probably wouldn't know at the moment what to ask, so can you maybe point me to a thread initially on what films are good to use and where from?.. I'm sure i've seen odd random posts with poundland and asda/tesco stuff etc... but i would like to know if there are certain films that produce nicer results....? maybe links so you don't have to repeat what's probably been asked 1000 times and then you all kick me:eek:

Do i sound as clueless as i feel?:D

Welcome to Film & Conventional!

Sure, some of those basic/silly questions probably have been asked before - but if you've made an effort to try and find that information already, or you are not 100% sure about it, it doesn't hurt to ask! We can call this your beginner thread.

The trade-off is this - at the start, we answer your questions. By the end, you'll post pictures from your first roll? (y)

Thank you!.... although eek now i'm not sure if i want to run from the room screaming!:D

I guess it's a fair deal, if i then master the art of getting them on here:LOL:

Hello and welcome to our dark,but,enjoyable room. The first thing is kit,body and lens,let us know what type of shooting you would like to try and I am sure we can help with the right type of kit to think about getting.

I have lots of Nikon SLR bodies and lenses that I would be happy to loan you to have your foray into the art of film.

Ask your questions and give us some clue,s as to what you would like to achieve.

Richard.

with regards to what film, yes poundland do do a roll for 100 of her majesties pennies but tbh i wouldnt use it immediately. Ive used a fair bit of it and its really not the best quality, ive noticed that you seem to get a different colour cast on most frames and it just might put you off film for good! So get a couple of rolls of decent film which will ensure you get a decent image to start with, if you like it feel free to get the cheap stuff. Also dont be tempted by a camera at a boot sale for a few quid until you know what your looking at. Spend a few bob on a decent second hand body / lens that has a built in light meter and you wont go far wrong.

I would really like to give this ago and have for some time now... so i don't want to ask silly/basic questions,(yet):D because if i;m honest i probably wouldn't know at the moment what to ask, so can you maybe point me to a thread initially on what films are good to use and where from?.. I'm sure i've seen odd random posts with poundland and asda/tesco stuff etc... but i would like to know if there are certain films that produce nicer results....? maybe links so you don't have to repeat what's probably been asked 1000 times and then you all kick me:eek:

Do i sound as clueless as i feel?:D
You'll find everyone really helpful in this section (y)

To get the images on here.........When you get the roll developed, ask for a disk with them scanned onto it, load them into your puter and treat them just like a digital image! Simples!

Just to provide a slightly different perspective on the Agfa Vista Photo 200 (that's the film available from Poundland). I personally have found it a versatile, well-performing film under different lighting conditions, and I quite like the colours it produces - it's a Fuji manufactured film (they are one of the main companies that still produces film, along with companies like Kodak and Ilford that you may have heard of).

And it's hard to beat as a budget way of entering film shooting - especially when you'll not be 100% familiar with the camera when shooting the first roll. After your first roll, you can look at trying different film stocks!

I suppose the first, possibly most obvious question is... Do you have a film camera ?

once we know what camera, if any, we can start to recommend film/processing co's etc...

or, if you haven't... we can sort something out, i'm sure....

Last edited:
Welcome to film and conventional :)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/first-film-camera-ever-or-for-many-years.481985/

There's a link above with some useful info, but as freecom says don't be afraid to ask. You will find everyone is so passionate about film and keen to get more people interested that this is one of the best sub sections on the forum.

Do you have a film camera yet?

The link is great thank you!.. as for a camera, not essentially i have been lent a Pentax asahi, but with knowledge that it may not even work,so until i get some film and battery for it i'm a little clueless...

Hello and welcome to our dark,but,enjoyable room. The first thing is kit,body and lens,let us know what type of shooting you would like to try and I am sure we can help with the right type of kit to think about getting.

I have lots of Nikon SLR bodies and lenses that I would be happy to loan you to have your foray into the art of film.

Ask your questions and give us some clue,s as to what you would like to achieve.

Richard.

Wow thank you, that's a lovely welcome and a lovely offer, like i said above i've been lent a camera, as yet i don't know if it works but i'm kinda hoping....... As for the shooting, i'm not sure i can answer, as in i don't have a style, i'm quite random, i love portraits but i live in the country so scenics as well i guess...

with regards to what film, yes poundland do do a roll for 100 of her majesties pennies but tbh i wouldnt use it immediately. Ive used a fair bit of it and its really not the best quality, ive noticed that you seem to get a different colour cast on most frames and it just might put you off film for good! So get a couple of rolls of decent film which will ensure you get a decent image to start with, if you like it feel free to get the cheap stuff. Also dont be tempted by a camera at a boot sale for a few quid until you know what your looking at. Spend a few bob on a decent second hand body / lens that has a built in light meter and you wont go far wrong.

I think that was why i questioned the film and what to buy, i know and appreciate i may hate my first stuff and thing omg i can't take pictures lol but i'd rather go with a nicer film and not be put off, unless it's my own silly mistakes etc....

As for the car boots, well i havent and have been lent one, but yes i probably would be easily swayed because it looked cute, i do need to step back and find out what does what first

You'll find everyone really helpful in this section (y)

Thank you Lee, they all seem a lovely bunch and haven't kicked me out yet:D

To get the images on here.........When you get the roll developed, ask for a disk with them scanned onto it, load them into your puter and treat them just like a digital image! Simples!

Ah ok, that's even better and i guess now i can't get out of posting lol!

Just to provide a slightly different perspective on the Agfa Vista Photo 200 (that's the film available from Poundland). I personally have found it a versatile, well-performing film under different lighting conditions, and I quite like the colours it produces - it's a Fuji manufactured film (they are one of the main companies that still produces film, along with companies like Kodak and Ilford that you may have heard of).

And it's hard to beat as a budget way of entering film shooting - especially when you'll not be 100% familiar with the camera when shooting the first roll. After your first roll, you can look at trying different film stocks!

That does make sense and to be honest budget right now has got to be a huge priority, so in that respect i have to be sensible and not go mad, especially with the first rolls and not even knowing how this thing works..

I suppose the first, possibly most obvious question is... Do you have a film camera ?

once we know what camera, if any, we can start to recommend film/processing co's etc...

or, if you haven't... we can sort something out, i'm sure....

I really should have put that on my opening message shouldn't i..:bonk: i had planned to but i got all excited and forgot, as said above i've been given a pentax asahi but i don't know yet if it works..

And thank you..:D

Were you looking at black and white or colour?
I could send you a roll of film.

Really Lee? that would be brilliant thank you, to be honest either i had thought about starting with Black and white as i do love that but again i shall hopefully try allsorts and hope to find something i really like

Really Lee? that would be brilliant thank you, to be honest either i had thought about starting with Black and white as i do love that but again i shall hopefully try allsorts and hope to find something i really like

Bear in mind that B&W tends to be more expensive to develop at commercial film processors - colour film is usually cheaper, and easier to find places that offer development.

There's also special B&W film that can be developed like a colour film, which you might be interested in. There are 3 made:

Kodak BW400CN
Fujifilm Neopan 400CN
Ilford XP2 Super

But for now I'd still start with a roll of Agfa Vista, get it developed at one of the labs listed in the stickied thread at the top of Film & Conventional (Film Developing in the UK) and go from there.

Last edited:

No problem.
I will send you an Ilford FP4 Plus 125
Link is here to explain what type it is....
Send me a pm 'thingy'

Edit.... as per Freecom2's post....
I could send a roll of Kodak Tri X 400 colour film instead(if cost is a concern)

Last edited:
If you shoot colour you can always convert to mono anyway.

Poundland film is fine for footling about. I've used years out of date Jessops and it was fine. Normal consumer film is pretty robust. There's also cheap kodak around and cheap fuji, usually about £2 a roll.

No problem.
I will send you an Ilford FP4 Plus 125
Link is here to explain what type it is....
Send me a pm 'thingy'

Edit.... as per Freecom2's post....
I could send a roll of Kodak Tri X 400 colour film instead(if cost is a concern)

I'm more concerned i don't want to waste your film Lee, so i'm happy for you to send anything, being my first attempt and it's exciting and scary who knows what i will end up with lol.. i'll pm thingy you now

I'm more concerned i don't want to waste your film Lee, so i'm happy for you to send anything, being my first attempt and it's exciting and scary who knows what i will end up with lol.. i'll pm thingy you now
No problem, I have enough rolls of each.

Bear in mind that B&W tends to be more expensive to develop at commercial film processors - colour film is usually cheaper, and easier to find places that offer development.

There's also special B&W film that can be developed like a colour film, which you might be interested in. There are 3 made:

Kodak BW400CN
Fujifilm Neopan 400CN
Ilford XP2 Super

But for now I'd still start with a roll of Agfa Vista, get it developed at one of the labs listed in the stickied thread at the top of Film & Conventional (Film Developing in the UK) and go from there.

I shall make sure i come back to this often, i had no idea B&W would be more expensive... i'm assuming its not ridiculously more though is it?... initial start off does make sense to use basic

If you shoot colour you can always convert to mono anyway.

Poundland film is fine for footling about. I've used years out of date Jessops and it was fine. Normal consumer film is pretty robust. There's also cheap kodak around and cheap fuji, usually about £2 a roll.

Oh that's cheap and yes whilst i'm trying a new camera and getting the hang off it, if it works, then that might be ideal, thank you

B&W developing at home is very cheap. B&W commercial developing is usually more expensive than the equivalent colour film developing.

B&W developing at home is very cheap. B&W commercial developing is usually more expensive than the equivalent colour film developing.

Now as much as i would love to see how that is done, i wont be jumping the gun just yet

Fair enough! I don't mean to keep harping on about it, it's just a lot of people become very interested in B&W film developing but often don't realise how much extra labs charge - this is mainly because colour film developing tends to be through a machine, but B&W film developing is usually done by hand (because they get less B&W film to develop).

As a reference, the lab that I use (Genie Imaging) charges £2.29 (ex. VAT) for colour film developing, and £6.75 (ex. VAT) for B&W film developing. The price difference is not as large with all labs, but that gives you some idea!

Besides, as Suz suggested, you can always make colour images into black & white on the computer. Many options!

@freecom2 you're not harping on at all, i appreciate the info at least it gives me an idea as to what to expect. there is quite a huge leap with prices there and doing them by hand i can see why, turning them B&W is certainly an option and if i find im doing that to alot of them then i can look into what rolls i want to get colour or B&W and weigh up cost and how much i'm shooting too..

I like many options! lol:D

hmm pentax are classics, love mine :p
its probably manual focus, and apature, and shutter, so you can practise that on your dslr

@freecom2 you're not harping on at all, i appreciate the info at least it gives me an idea as to what to expect. there is quite a huge leap with prices there and doing them by hand i can see why, turning them B&W is certainly an option and if i find im doing that to alot of them then i can look into what rolls i want to get colour or B&W and weigh up cost and how much i'm shooting too..

I like many options! lol:D

If you end up picking some (non-C-41) B&W film up, I'll dev it for you for the cost of return postage, might as well save your money on lab devving until you know whether you like shooting film first. (y)

I'd also vote with Vista from Poundland as a starter film, cheap and cheerful. And remember that Boots does a range of film, which still appear to be on a buy-one-get-one-half-price deal even though the advertising seems to have stopped. I get XP2 (black and white that can be processed as using the standard colour process) and it works out just over £5 a roll. But I'd stick with colour to start with unless you're mad for B&W. And if you've a big ASDA near you, you might find a photo unit that will do process and scan colour film to CD for £3 while you shop! The scan is fine for starters.

But there's a big divide in the "Pentax Asahi" world, between the Spotmatics (with a screw thread lens fitting known as M42), and the more modern ones (ie post 1975 or so) with a bayonet "K" fitting. I think the earlier one might need a different battery that's hard to get, but later ones use more common batteries. So it would be great to know the name on the camera, and the lens of course! (This is partly being as nosy as we usually are, but partly because advice and suggestions might change depending on the answer...)

But there's a big divide in the "Pentax Asahi" world, between the Spotmatics (with a screw thread lens fitting known as M42), and the more modern ones (ie post 1975 or so) with a bayonet "K" fitting. I think the earlier one might need a different battery that's hard to get, but later ones use more common batteries. So it would be great to know the name on the camera, and the lens of course! (This is partly being as nosy as we usually are, but partly because advice and suggestions might change depending on the answer...)

It appears that all of the Spotmatics actually have a voltage correction circuit in them, so you can just use standard silver or alkaline button cells in them as it will always give the correct voltage (I am very happy to have found that out as I was under the impression my Spotmatic F didn't have the circuit like the rest, it does its just a very different way of doing it, so I can now avoid having to pay £5 a year for a wein-cell)

Agfa Vista is just rebranded Fuji C200 (their budget film which hails from a few generations back), so don't go and get some C200 afterwards thinking its different (as its usually several times more expensive as well)!

Once upon a time, film was all there was.
You got a fixed lens, fixed focus, fixed shutter-speed, fixed aperture, 'toy' camera for christmas when you were about eight; and it either took a 110 or 220 cartridge, or if born in the '80's possibly 35mm cassette, or if 50's a 120 roll!
Your Dad loaded it, and off you went, snapping away, learning from your mistakes.
Processing was by Tru-Print, who sent you a 'free' film back with your envelope of snaps... so you went and wasted that, trying to do better next time, after Dad told you something 'useful', like when indoors, you need to use a flash-cube; or you cant take photo's of stuff less than the length of your arm away from the camera, or, to keep your fingers away from the lens, 'cos you cant see it in the view-finder! Stuff like that.
Tru-Print, worried about your 'exposure'... like I said, the camera probably only had one shutter speed, maybe 1/30th of a second, and one aperture, probably about f-8... f16-Sunny says shutter should equal film speed on a sunny day; so on 100ASA film Tru-Print gave you; you were probably three stops over-exposed... and in-doors with just window-light, you'd probably be about three stops under-exposed; About the only time the thing gave a 'correct' exposure was probably out-doors on atypically over-cast British afternoon; but what the heck; film has 'exposure lattitude', however much your camera over or under-exposes; Tru-Print just over or under expose the negative to compensate making your 'Tru-Print'!
It ent no big deal; children barely able to write, used to do it!
You have a slightly more sophisticated camera to play with, and it has a METER! What Joy! And you can change the aperture and shutter to get a better exposure, and don't have to rely on guess work for focusing, and you can SEE THROUGH THE LENS! Means you ought to be able to tell if you have left the lens cap on or got your finger in the way!
Your off to a head start there, girl!
Now Just grab some film and go shoot stuff!

Defo another vote for the Poundland film, combined with a quick devo @ Asda you have straight results of if your camera works for £4 all in.
Relay don't wast that £5 film on your first outing.
I came from Digital to film about a year ago and in all honesty my first 3 roles were pretty bad learing as I go.
Now there just borderline awful but I am getting better.
Film is so different from digital, you need to find out if your camera works, are the light seals stuffed, does the light meter work?
If you have a smart phone grab a light metre app and compare it with the camera.

well im very dissapointed that none of the previous callers have given you the WARNING
you must be told before you start ,,you may find that when you start you cant stop .
you could be on the very slippery slope of actualy getting enjoyment from using film ,,
its hardly noticeable at first ,but then suddenly you look around you ,and there are three or four film cameras just sitting there looking at you pleading to be taken out instead of the others ,decisions decisions ,
and then you might want to develope your own black and white films ,,,,and then later on to actualy print them yourself in your very own darkroom .

either that or you'ill think god that was a load of b ollix , i think i'll stick to digital and throw the pentax out the window ,,,:)
anyway take (Robs ? ) offer up of him developing a film for you and i believe someone offered you an ilford fp4+ film ,that would be the one to use
and welcome to the fusty and crusty bit

it was Lee and Rob who made the offers of film and dev ( thanks to both of them for keeping the spirit of goodwill in the film and unconventional going )

Last edited:
You see, THIS is why I love the F&C section... you ask a single question, expecting a good-shoe'ing for asking newbie questions, get welcomed like a long lost friend, and provided with help advice a roll of film and the developing done for you...

so...:naughty: who's gonna do the scanning then, so we can provide a one off "soup to cheeseboard" service :LOL:

Right before i reply to any of the answers.. i have to say this.. You guys are amazing! thank you so much for such a lovely welcome and being so helpful.. the offer of film from @Solo man and developing from @robhooley167 . you've blown me away with kindness, all of you... i think i may have to move my corner in here:D(ok no more mush eek)

I need a huge coffee and digest all this info! oh and get more details on this camera... i must admit reading the link that @Steve posted threw things up i hadn't even thought about.. ie how to check the camera etc...

Right before i reply to any of the answers.. i have to say this.. You guys are amazing! thank you so much for such a lovely welcome and being so helpful.. the offer of film from @Solo man and developing from @robhooley167 . you've blown me away with kindness, all of you... i think i may have to move my corner in here:D(ok no more mush eek)

I need a huge coffee and digest all this info! oh and get more details on this camera... i must admit reading the link that @Steve posted threw things up i hadn't even thought about.. ie how to check the camera etc...

It's in the post.....you should get it tomorrow (y)
Have fun!.
I also have a scanner if you need them scanned

Shame you're Canon rather than Nikon, T.. Like Richard (MedwayGreen), I have a couple of Nikon bodies you'd be welcome to have a play with.

Personally, I would start your film playing with a couple of rolls of colour print film - chances are that you'll be able to get colour prints D&Ped (Developed and Printed) and on a CD locally rather than having to wait a while (several days) for a lab to deal with a B&W film. Colour D&P will almost certainly be cheaper too (unless you do your own [which may come later if you catch the fillum lurgi!])

Not sure exactly where you're based but if there are any camera shops locally, they may well have an EOS film body or 2 languishing on their shelves with ridiculously low price tags! Not quite giving them away but not far off it, especially compared to the prices when they were new! Not being a Canon man, I can't point you at any specific models (and be aware that any film EOS will need the full frame lenses rather than those designed for APS-C bodies) but in film bodies, the level is less important in terms of IQ than it tends to be in Digital (spit!!!)

Enjoy!!!

It's in the post.....you should get it tomorrow (y)
Have fun!.
I also have a scanner if you need them scanned

Ooh yay :banana:.. Thanks Lee, Pm thingy postage and i'll cover it for you, i did mean to say in PM last night but in my excitement i forgot lol...
As for scanning again thank you, you lot are ace, let me get this correct in my head tho, if i shoot film i can get it possibly developed and put on a cd locally and then is all i have to do is upload to laptop? but if i catch this bug i could get a scanner at a later date and do it myself yes??

Shame you're Canon rather than Nikon, T.. Like Richard (MedwayGreen), I have a couple of Nikon bodies you'd be welcome to have a play with.

Personally, I would start your film playing with a couple of rolls of colour print film - chances are that you'll be able to get colour prints D&Ped (Developed and Printed) and on a CD locally rather than having to wait a while (several days) for a lab to deal with a B&W film. Colour D&P will almost certainly be cheaper too (unless you do your own [which may come later if you catch the fillum lurgi!])

Not sure exactly where you're based but if there are any camera shops locally, they may well have an EOS film body or 2 languishing on their shelves with ridiculously low price tags! Not quite giving them away but not far off it, especially compared to the prices when they were new! Not being a Canon man, I can't point you at any specific models (and be aware that any film EOS will need the full frame lenses rather than those designed for APS-C bodies) but in film bodies, the level is less important in terms of IQ than it tends to be in Digital (spit!!!)

Enjoy!!!

Hey Nod!:wave:

In respect of camera, digital yes i am canon but with film i am quite happy to play around and learn, infact i quite like the idea of 'trying' and not being quite so stuck on just "one camera"..... the film camera i have is a Pentax so for me that in itself is a learning curve, new camera and totally alien film, i have no idea how it works as yet....

I'm going to change my settings and be a bit more sensible, ie location etc, im Northants way:D

Ok update on the camera..I believe it's a Pentax Asahi ME 35mm Film Camera with a 50 mm 1.7 Lens battery wise i've just taken 2 LR44 out of it? so ishall grab a couple on ebay..

The only thing i am thinking is the camera, being old is rather grubby, i have no idea on what i need to do cleaning wise so it may be a good idea for me to see if there are any local shops that i could maybe get it checked out/cleaned up at..

I've also just downloaded a manual so lots of reading to find out how to use it lol:D

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax.htm Instruction manuals here - the model you have is an ME

Those LR44s were new the day i dropped it off, so if the meter isnt working don't waste money on more new ones as it won't help.

It could be that the battery terminals need cleaning - use the end of a pencil rubber to gently remove any corrosion.

that aside the joy of these old cameras is that they work without batteries.. although you'll need to meter seperately (either with a hand held meter or with your DSLR)

Last edited:
Back