I'm sure you hate new film wannabee's but... :-D

I should have given her the halina 35x - that really isn't anymore complicated than that ! ;) (or the holga , or one of the TLRs or the oly trip, or..... I've got too many cameras)

Edit: 71 film?!..

Actually, it's 72 now since I was given a Kodak Brownie last week!

Just before Christmas last year, I thought that I had about sixty film cameras which I decided was too many. I sold some, gave some away and counted what was left... seventy one!

What I have now is the combination of my collection and my father's collection which I inherited a few years ago. My father's cameras are better than mine so I was thinning out my part of the collection, mainly by getting rid of anything I had doubles of.

Steve.

Just before Christmas last year, I thought that I had about sixty film cameras which I decided was too many. I sold some, gave some away and counted what was left... seventy one!

What I have now is the combination of my collection and my father's collection which I inherited a few years ago. My father's cameras are better than mine so I was thinning out my part of the collection, mainly by getting rid of anything I had doubles of.

Steve.

And of course included in that is one of the most beautiful homemade cameras I have ever seen.

ooh home made cameras - is it a large format ? (making a 5x4 is on my tuit list)

M6 Junction 3, Turn Right. About four roundabouts, 2-miles ish from the motorway. If you look on a map, look for 'Arbury-Hall', it's gates are at the end of the road at the end of my road!

Also why CG-Girl? Is that a reference to the little Honda Commuter? If it is... don't come; or plan a LONG stay! I have a garden full of little, and actually, not so little, Honda's too! (Me & the O/H renovate CB125 Super-Dreams) Actually... CG on L's... you might have to come up the A5... means cutting across town, but nice little tiddler-toddle!

However; as said in first comment; before there was anything else; used to give film cameras to kids who could barely write their own name; don't make life hard for yourself 'thinking' and 'fretting' about it all so much! (err... that's advice I keep giving new bike rider's too, actually!) Anyway, Its a picture making box with a button. You point, and press, and get a picture. It don't have to be ANY more complicated than that!

You do realise by asking me that question nobody will take me seriously anymore:LOL::LOL:.......CG.. my old school mate gave me the title many moons ago, she could never figure out how to work her computer or phone so she used to call me, as in shout, oi geek where are you, i called her a few choice words and "CHEEKY-GEEKY was born..:( the problem i have is, yes i like gizmos and gadgets but ended up having to wipe my laptop after accidently deleting over 700+ system files, so i am not sure i qualify the geek anymore:LOL:

As for not over thinking, bloody hell it's all i have been doing since finally saying to myself, go on give it ago etc, exciting times:banana:

Steve.
And of course included in that is one of the most beautiful homemade cameras I have ever seen.

That's impressive and to make them too... wow!

ooh home made cameras - is it a large format ? (making a 5x4 is on my tuit list)

The one the other Steve is referring to is 6x12 with a 65mm Super Angulon lens (see link in my signature line). The current one is 5x4. See post above.

If you want some plans, let me know. And if you want inspiration, look up Rayment Kirby Cameras.

I can give you DXF files for my camera or the one on Rayment Kirby's website.

Steve.

Last edited:
The one the other Steve is referring to is 6x12 with a 65mm Super Angulon lens (see link in my signature line). The current one is 5x4. See post above.

If you want some plans, let me know. And if you want inspiration, look up Rayment Kirby Cameras.

Steve.
Are cameras easy to make?.

You do realise by asking me that question nobody will take me seriously anymore:LOL::LOL:.......CG.. my old school mate gave me the title many moons ago, she could never figure out how to work her computer or phone so she used to call me, as in shout, oi geek where are you, i called her a few choice words and "CHEEKY-GEEKY was born..:( the problem i have is, yes i like gizmos and gadgets but ended up having to wipe my laptop after accidently deleting over 700+ system files, so i am not sure i qualify the geek anymore:LOL:

As for not over thinking, bloody hell it's all i have been doing since finally saying to myself, go on give it ago etc, exciting times:banana:

Oh Dear... sounds like you'll get on great with the O/H - Donna the 'Format-Queen'! She's sat in the other corner at the moment, while I play 'Nikon' and 'Photo-shop' playing 'World of Warcraft'... she has just told me she is playing a Paladin... means about as much to me as me telling her I'm fighting with my colour balence, and having a little trouble with my yellow hue....TBH... but aparently she is 'lost' and cant do her quest, as she was 'Virtual Sleep Walking'?!?!?! She fell asleep at the screen, but her fingers carried on moving her character!

Are cameras easy to make?.

Everything is easy if you know how to do it!

I have the use of a CNC router at work which make accurate woodwork very easy. A camera can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. It's really just a box to keep the darkness in and a hole in the front for a lens.

It gets complex when you try to work out the geometry for the folding parts to allow it all to fold up. Have a look at this video to see how it happens...

I did lots of drawings and made lots of card models before I committed the design of mine to brass.

Anyway, I do apologise, I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Steve.

Last edited:
Everything is easy if you know how to do it!

I have the use of a CNC router at work which make accurate woodwork very easy. A camera can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. It's really just a box to keep the darkness in and a hole in the front for a lens.

It gets complex when you try to work out the geometry for the folding parts to allow it all to fold up. Have a look at this video to see how it happens...

I did lots of drawings and made lots of card models before I committed the design of mine to brass.

Anyway, I do apologise, I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Steve.

Thank you for the video....
Lovely looking camera.

Oh Dear... sounds like you'll get on great with the O/H - Donna the 'Format-Queen'! She's sat in the other corner at the moment, while I play 'Nikon' and 'Photo-shop' playing 'World of Warcraft'... she has just told me she is playing a Paladin... means about as much to me as me telling her I'm fighting with my colour balence, and having a little trouble with my yellow hue....TBH... but aparently she is 'lost' and cant do her quest, as she was 'Virtual Sleep Walking'?!?!?! She fell asleep at the screen, but her fingers carried on moving her character!

That made me chuckle!:LOL::LOL:

yay , that answers that then i'm definitvely the forum thicky - i bet i took the old ones out of the camera put them on one side , depackaged the new ones then put them down, got confused and put the old ones back in and threw the new ones away - :bonk:

Last edited:
I once watched my father do something even more stupid. He had partially taken a camera apart for repair and was preparing to put it back together. He made himself a clear area of worktop by sweeping off the surface with his hand. This action also swept all of the little screws he had taken out onto the carpeted floor. It took many hours to find them all.

Steve.

By any chance once you start messing with film you want to try more and more of the different film cameras?

Wellllll!! I was shooting exclusively digital until a couple of years ago. I mentioned to a friend that I was curious to try shooting with a 35mm slr. He gave me a Nikon F55.
In the three years or so since my collection has grown to over a 100. I have shelves, cupboards, crates of the bloody things; slrs, box cameras, rangefinders, viewfinders, folders etc, etc.
and I try to use them all. So, in answer to your question....; maybe!! :D
Have fun!!

ps: hello :wave: and welcome to the wonderful world of film!

Wellllll!! I was shooting exclusively digital until a couple of years ago. I mentioned to a friend that I was curious to try shooting with a 35mm slr. He gave me a Nikon F55.
In the three years or so since my collection has grown to over a 100. I have shelves, cupboards, crates of the bloody things; slrs, box cameras, rangefinders, viewfinders, folders etc, etc.
and I try to use them all. So, in answer to your question....; maybe!! :D
Have fun!!

ps: hello :wave: and welcome to the wonderful world of film!

Heya! thanks for the lovely welcome, i've never known such an awesomely friendly bunch :banana:......

Now that is some collection, i am in all honesty hoping i go the same way.:D

Once it starts, you can't stop it!

Steve.

too true - you start off small with a pentax or two, but before you know it you are looking at rolliecords on ebay and thinking ooh that's cheap, and it looks so cool even if it doesn't work it will make a nice ornament. (I've got one that is completely borked which i'm in the process of turning into a desk clock .. like you do)

This thread gave me the kick up the backside I needed to use my ME, burned a roll of Superia 1600 through it to see how the stuff looks. Still a cracking camera but I suspect that the focus screen is not intended for use with f1.4 lenses! Must test that theory versus a "better" model some day.

This thread gave me the kick up the backside I needed to use my ME, burned a roll of Superia 1600 through it to see how the stuff looks. Still a cracking camera but I suspect that the focus screen is not intended for use with f1.4 lenses! Must test that theory versus a "better" model some day.

Interesting theory, on some cameras when doing close ups with\without a f1.4 lens some shots are not where I focused..........and think it's either my spectacles or the SLR mirror is slightly out. :shrug:

It's just another drug, somebody gives you the first one for free and before you know it you're stealing from your kid's piggy bank just to get that next Leica/Rolleiflex/Hassy fix, it is as others have said, a very slippery slope :LOL:

It's just another drug, somebody gives you the first one for free and before you know it you're stealing from your kid's piggy bank just to get that next Leica/Rolleiflex/Hassy fix, it is as others have said, a very slippery slope :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Sounds about right, i best warn them to lock them up!

But there is hope in the future as when they stop making film, the addiction will stop ;)

But there is hope in the future as when they stop making film, the addiction will stop ;)

Well - that's where my "retirement fund" of 3 mahoosive icecream tubs full of frozen 120 and 135 may start to pay dividends.... it's not as if I'm likely to shoot it all before I shuffle off this earth.

Well - that's where my "retirement fund" of 3 mahoosive icecream tubs full of frozen 120 and 135 may start to pay dividends.... it's not as if I'm likely to shoot it all before I shuffle off this earth.

Is that "THE" place to always keep film? the freezer?... i had seen it mentioned a couple of times and was curious

well - considering most of it was already date expired or borderline when I bought it, it was pretty much the only option. When I was shooting a little more regularly, I'd keep 3-4 rolls of each regular stock in a sealed tupperware container in the bottom of the fridge and take it out the day before shooting, topping up the fridge box from frozen stock at that point - so frozen film was defrosted at 2-3c in the fridge to minimise condensation problems, and chilled film had overnight to warm up to ambient, again to try and avoid condensation problems.

However, for stock of 3-4 rolls of "normal" film - it's probably overkill :shrug:

Is that "THE" place to always keep film? the freezer?... i had seen it mentioned a couple of times and was curious

THE best place to keep film is probably inside a camera tbh :D

Fridge/freezer helps to slow down "deterioration" of the film especially if it's going to be laid around for a long time before it gets put to use as humidity and heat do it no favours.

well - considering most of it was already date expired or borderline when I bought it, it was pretty much the only option. When I was shooting a little more regularly, I'd keep 3-4 rolls of each regular stock in a sealed tupperware container in the bottom of the fridge and take it out the day before shooting, topping up the fridge box from frozen stock at that point - so frozen film was defrosted at 2-3c in the fridge to minimise condensation problems, and chilled film had overnight to warm up to ambient, again to try and avoid condensation problems.

However, for stock of 3-4 rolls of "normal" film - it's probably overkill :shrug:

Ah ok, chances are right now i will only have the odd few films at a time...

THE best place to keep film is probably inside a camera tbh :D

Fridge/freezer helps to slow down "deterioration" of the film especially if it's going to be laid around for a long time before it gets put to use as humidity and heat do it no favours.

So that's why i couldn't get it to work, :D fridge/freezer does make more sense and i was curious.

Back