iMac slow, what now?

OT. I'm running Mountain Lion in a Parallels virtual machine on Sierra (for FileMaker Pro 12 which I not supported in Sierra) and I have to say everything seems as fast as in the Sierra host. This in an oldish Mac mini with 16gb ram.
I've not tried Sierra yet.

Nick, my editing Mac is an old Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz i7, 16GB, 500GB SSD, hi-res anti-glare display and 1TB 7200 rpm data drive in place of the optical drive. I run Photo Mechanic 5, PS and LR CC 17, and an assortment of plugins. It whizzes along. I have previously had adobe apps misbehaving and using 100% processor activity, but not for some time now. Running 10.12.4 with no issues. You are having some strange problems, hope you get them sorted as the Mac is a great platform too use.

LR and PS have been buggy for me since Adobe CC and/or upgrading to El Capitan. Nothing like what you're describing but it can have 'moments', such as you can do an adjustment in LR and it takes a few seconds for it to change, whereas normally it's instant. Also when going from one pic to another quickly it can take a second or so to snap into sharpness. I've noticed this more when I'm overloading it say exporting several files then flicking through pics and then applying the off adjustment. The machine gets very hot and the fans go wild. I know I'm stressing the system though as if I look at activity monitor the CPU usage for LR can go up to 680% and over. LR takes roughly 10s to start up. I have the same issue on my iMac (5K 32GB RAM SSD, 4GHZ quad core CPU (IIRC)) and my MBP (16GB RAM SSD 2.2ghz Quad Core CPU). Performance seems to vary with every CC update.

TBH I wish I'd never upgraded from Mountain Lion. With every new OS I seem to get more glitches and more spinning wheels. I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I can't help feel that Apple really has gone downhill since Steve Jobs passed away. The main reason for me buying apple products was how smooth they are/were, but for me they're getting more glitchy. Even the iPhone now has glitches (tried 3 iphone 7's) :rolleyes:

I've had a few glitches with LR on the MBP where it's crashed whilst batch syncing or so. I've actually reduced my catalogue down too this week as mine did date back to 2005 so referencing 30,000 files. It still takes a couple of seconds to render a full sized DNG properly. Working with smart previews speeds that up a bit but nothing like the vid on Sam Hurds website where they are all instant?

Those complaining that LR is slow, have you increased the cache size in preferences?
My cache is 50GB, not sure if it needs deleting every now and again to speed it up? Any harm in deleting cache?

I've had a few glitches with LR on the MBP where it's crashed whilst batch syncing or so. I've actually reduced my catalogue down too this week as mine did date back to 2005 so referencing 30,000 files. It still takes a couple of seconds to render a full sized DNG properly. Working with smart previews speeds that up a bit but nothing like the vid on Sam Hurds website where they are all instant?
I work with 1:1 previews. As long as I'm not overloading and working quickly from one image to another adjustments are instant, but sometimes it can take a second or so to snap into sharpness still. Sometimes it's instant. I've not seen that video to compare.

I work with 1:1 previews. As long as I'm not overloading and working quickly from one image to another adjustments are instant, but sometimes it can take a second or so to snap into sharpness still. Sometimes it's instant. I've not seen that video to compare.

I'll check my settings when I get back as CC didn't copy over following the time machine back up I used to the new laptop. Had to reinstall fully and thought all of my preferences had followed.

Ha, hadn't followed over so cache was set to 1GB. I used to have set at 20GB, any reason for 50 Toby?

Ha, hadn't followed over so cache was set to 1GB. I used to have set at 20GB, any reason for 50 Toby?
Dunno, don't really understand it all tbh, just chose a big number ;)

Lol

I've purged the cache and rebuilt previews and all has sped up quite a bit (plus 20gb cache)

I'll have a google later see what cache is recommended.

Thing is, sounds a lot of stored memory taking up a lot of space. Does LR purge it a bit every now and then, must do, surely?

Well that's that. Apple are collecting it on Monday. Any recommendations for a replacement windows machine of comparable spec??

Back