Image stacking for macro.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
To save me trawling the internet, can anyone tell me what the best stacking software for macro is?
When I say best I really mean easiest to use.

I have a 27" 2015 mac and a 2017 mac book pro both running high sierra.

On the Mac platform you have 4 choices...

Photoshop
Helicon Focus
Zerene Stacker
and
Franzis Focus Projects.

If you already have Photoshop then before investing in one of the others give it a go, IMO it does not match the Helicon or Zerene but if you are not demanding too much it will be fine.

Helicon is my chosen app, works well for me with a choice of different methods and retouching, I am a little biased as I was a Beta tester.

I have never gotten on well with Zerene although my colleague, before I retired, swore by it and feedback from the developer is excellent.

Franzis is a relatively new kid on the block, I am waiting to evaluate so cannot comment more.

Best is to try the demo's and see which suits you best, I prefer Helicon but you may find you have a preference for one of the others.

Thanks people.

I don't have photoshop so I'll go on your advice.

Canon DPP has a compositing function but I'm unclear as to what it does.

I use Affinity for focus stacking.

I use Affinity for focus stacking.

I got Helicon well before I got AP, how does AP work for you?
Did you compare it to anything else?

I got Helicon well before I got AP, how does AP work for you?
Did you compare it to anything else?
I used Affinity because I have it.
The results are fine, but I've never compared it to anything else.
Helicon is expensive.

I used Affinity because I have it.
The results are fine, but I've never compared it to anything else.
Helicon is expensive.

Thanks for that, Brian! :cool:

I'm new to this focus stacking malarkey, so I simply used what I had available (Affinity Photo).
I also did some research and found there are several freeware focus stacking programs, some are listed here.

I'm new to this focus stacking malarkey, so I simply used what I had available (Affinity Photo).
I am pleased you did as I would have completely overlooked Affinity.
I also did some research and found there are several freeware focus stacking programs, some are listed here.
There are some free programs out there, one of the best is CombineZP, the main problem is that they are mainly for the Windows Platform and some are complicated to use with a command line interface...

Back