image theft getting worse and trickier

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
just spent the whole morning (thanks to storm Hannah) going through my pixys updates , there have been quiet a few additions to the stolen images a few of which might stand a chance of some financial recovery .. but the worrying trend is a lot seem to now be "hotlinking " which means little or no chance of a payment mostly done through Russian or Chinese based websites .. all I can add is make sure that every photo you upload anywhere carries some form of watermark or copyright for your own safety .. a lot of my stolen ones were before I did this but I did come across a couple where it had been removed , (bigger payout if actioned though) .

a long winded morning but if I get a couple of payouts out of it its worth doing

Do you mean sites based on Russian/Chinese servers are hotlinking to your images, or that sites are hotlinking to ripped copies hosted on those servers?

Do you mean sites based on Russian/Chinese servers are hotlinking to your images, or that sites are hotlinking to ripped copies hosted on those servers?
Totally no idea tori it comes up as a hotlinked image which they can’t pursue usually there’s Chinese or Russian lettering in the hosting site if that makes sense .. I didn’t really pay that much attention once it statedthe hotline part

Are your images hosted on somewhere like flickr, or on your own website?

This is a crucial distinction. If other sites are just linking to a location you have uploaded the image to, even if the image appears embedded in their site by the magic of the internet, then there is probably no infringement, at least in the EU:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_aspects_of_hyperlinking_and_framing

Find the image on their website, and use your browser's right-click menu to get the image location / address. Is this a link to your original, or to a third party host?

I had a load of cases that Pixsy thought were using my images the other week. Some of them were not my images, some were deemed by them not to be actionable, and there there were six or so that I asked them to pursue further. I got messages about three of the cases that there was nothing they could do, and so were going no further. :rolleyes: :(

The one that really p's me off is Pinterest, where people seem to be using others images from all over the place. :mad:

Fingers crossed you get some satisfaction from the thieving b's. ;)

I had a load of cases that Pixsy thought were using my images the other week. Some of them were not my images, some were deemed by them not to be actionable, and there there were six or so that I asked them to pursue further. I got messages about three of the cases that there was nothing they could do, and so were going no further. :rolleyes: :(

The one that really p's me off is Pinterest, where people seem to be using others images from all over the place. :mad:

I already have had a lot of success with them , with payouts into four figures , I just do a check every couple of months to go through recent ones . There will always be ones they can’t action but you only need one or two that can

If they are hotlinking your original image, change the image for one with say... errr what a dog leaves behind after a big dinner. They'll then be showing that instead of your flower or landscape or whatever it is.

Never thought much of Pixsy. Their matching system is useless. Even on the highest setting it's matching pictures that are clearly not the same. On the default setting it's comically pathetic.

If they are hotlinking your original image, change the image for one with say... errr what a dog leaves behind after a big dinner. They'll then be showing that instead of your flower or landscape or whatever it is.
If they are, and you can identify the server's location as within the Russian Federation from it's IP address, see if you can obtain a photo of a young kid with a rainbow flag, and swap the hotlinked images for that.
In Russia, such an image would violate Article 6.21 of the Code of the Russian Federation on Administrative Offenses banning the distribution of "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships" to minors. A company breaking this law faces a million ruble fine (about £12k) and getting shut down for 90 days.

Hotlinking, or embedding, from an original licensed source is perfectly legal in the EU.

If they are, and you can identify the server's location as within the Russian Federation from it's IP address, see if you can obtain a photo of a young kid with a rainbow flag, and swap the hotlinked images for that.
In Russia, such an image would violate Article 6.21 of the Code of the Russian Federation on Administrative Offenses banning the distribution of "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships" to minors. A company breaking this law faces a million ruble fine (about £12k) and getting shut down for 90 days.
Ohhh I like this idea.

How do you come to that conclusion?
If the OP takes the photo, or obtains permission from the person who has, it's perfectly legal. I'm not suggesting he just steal someone else's work; that's already the issue here.

So is the OP editing, moving, or replacing his own images on his own webspace.
He has no statutory obligation to continue to supply someone with specific content or free bandwidth simply because they've unilaterally decided to avail themselves of them.

I don't. It's copyright infringement.
Not if he makes his own image or obtains one legally from an agency or something. A rainbow flag is dead easy to get, you can borrow a child or use your own if you have them. Job done.

Just having a look myself.

Although, through joining ey eem, I legally allowed mine to be stolen! There is no method to cap a price for an image and they sold mine for a rediculously low amount, saying it was a prefered partner of theirs! The only way to stop this, delete my account....... which is provong harder than you would beleive.

On Pinterest, how have you seen your images used? As in people have created pins with your image that link back to the original? Or have created custom pins using your image which points elsewhere (like there own website?)

I don't really want or need the hassle of chasing up crap , which at the end of the day there only going to stick two fingers up to . and I won't get paid for the work involved either .. karma will come in time , even the Chinese are cracking down on copying stuff recently .. .
to me just getting something back is a bonus and so far despite the doubting Thomas's on here Pixsy have recovered nearly 3 grand for me , I'm not that computer savvy and of very advancing years so if I can do it why cant you ... and b.t.w speaking from experience they have really improved there matching over the last year or so as well

Back