Improving this Portrait (with my edit attempt)

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a shot of my nephew taken by my Brother in law. He asked me to work some magic with it as they would love to get it printed but recognise that it would benefit from some touching up (and maybe even a complete change of style) in pp.

So I am working on it slowly (as I am still reliant on tutorials) but wondered if you guys and gals might want to have a crack at it and provide me with some inspiration. I have seen a lot of the edits made on portraits in here and have been super impressed and learnt a lot.

Thanks for taking the time

IMG_2652.jpg

UPDATE:
Thanks for the comments below guys, much appreciated. With this advice in mind i've had a go myself and am interested to know what you think. Its far from thorough (noisy and spots bottom left) as I wanted feedback on it before I take my time and do it right. Is this too OTT?

fraser_sharpened_B_W4_with_boarder1small.jpg

HI TED

HOW BIG IS THE ORIGINAL FILE?

Ted - its difficult as is such a small photo but here's a quick attempt (not very neat), i just created a layer and blurred it then used the history brush to paint the area's i wanted to see.

[
bath.jpg

First I'd crop out some of the distractions like the shadow to the right etc. Then clone out some of the others (tap etc) and tidy the background. Selectively apply a bit of lens blur to the background perhaps. Use 'Hacker's' excellent EYE POP TUTORIAL perhaps... all just for starters I think.

My rough try here:

tededit1.jpg

Flashy

I'm no expert, but its amazing that you can produce that from the original image. I really like it. I'm sure others will be able to break it down better than me.

Back