(in) appropriate joke discussion

^^^^

Poor taste 'joke' o_O :(
There are a couple of jokes in this thread, that are in poor taste. They will affect some people, going through certain devastating events in their lives. I know most jokes will offend someone, but it's to what extent. But they get posted, and nobody cares. :(

There are a couple of jokes in this thread, that are in poor taste. They will affect some people, going through certain devastating events in their lives. I know most jokes will offend someone, but it's to what extent. But they get posted, and nobody cares. :(

Sometimes people, myself included just chose to ignore these sick jokes,
A young woman died it what was hopefully a tragic accident, I personally don't find anything remotely funny
about it, and I was about to report it when Laurence replied

Last edited:
Sometimes people, myself included jus chose to ignore these sick jokes,
A young woman died it what was hopefully a tragic accident, I personally don't find anything remotely funny
about it, and I was about to report it when Laurence replied
Even if you did report it, action may not be taken regarding the post. :(

Last edited:
I was lambasted recently for a joke I posted. It was censored and it was described as 'sick' I was shocked at the time because the picture was taken from another respected forum and was so obviously humorous. While I apologised at the time, I honestly hadn't a clue it would invoke that response or I wouldn't have posted it. I have no problem with mods attempting to maintain certain standards but I guess that depends on the sensibilities of the person making this judgement, (who never identified theirselves) I did object to the manner and choice of words. I have no history of conflict here and a gentle explanation would have sufficed. I wouldn't have posted that 'Alec Baldwin' joke and some members refer to it as sick but it appears to have 'passed censorship' Herein of course lies the problem with censorship, who gets to decide what is acceptable ?

I was lambasted recently for a joke I posted. It was censored and it was described as 'sick' I was shocked at the time because the picture was taken from another respected forum and was so obviously humorous. While I apologised at the time, I honestly hadn't a clue it would invoke that response or I wouldn't have posted it. I have no problem with mods attempting to maintain certain standards but I guess that depends on the sensibilities of the person making this judgement, (who never identified theirselves) I did object to the manner and choice of words. I have no history of conflict here and a gentle explanation would have sufficed. I wouldn't have posted that 'Alec Baldwin' joke and some members refer to it as sick but it appears to have 'passed censorship' Herein of course lies the problem with censorship, who gets to decide what is acceptable ?
But isn't the first part of censorship "self-censorship" I fail to see how the person who posted that comment (not really sure what it was but I certainly wouldn't call it a joke) would not think it might be viewed as in poor taste by other people.

Last edited:
Jokes are often in poor taste, and that can be what makes them funny. I would suggest that the timing of posting was unfortunate, since the pain of this event is still fresh. Like the relationship joke above, if you've long moved on from failure or only seen it happen to others then it is funny, but if you were in the middle of your second divorce then it might not be so much.

Let's not censor jokes more than absolutely necessary, and just ignore or post a sad smiley on those we dislike.

Seems that Donald Trump Jnr has created a T-shirt joke about this shooting and selling it at $27.99 Further down the page it shows that Alec Baldwin made a joke about a young black man,18 year old Darren Brown, who was shot by a police officer in Ferguson,Missouri in 2014. Brown's friend stated that he, Brown, had his hands up.

So-called black humour exists amongst army personnel, police, those who work for funeral services and others in those sort of situations and it's recognised that it's a coping mechanism but for me, situations like this one are beyond humour. Now there's a husband without his wife, a 10 year old boy without his mum not to mention the wider family and friends..I've mentioned before about my 'what can happen, will happen' philosophy and if ever there was a situation to which that applies it was this one. Having live ammunition on a set. Seems the live ammunition was there so those who wished to could indulge in target practice during downtime and according to some reports that's what happened.It was an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
One thing that struck me about the shooting incident - Alec Baldwin was passed the gun and he fired it believing it was a 'cold' gun. Having been trained by the RAF to intruct air cadets in shooting is that you should never take someone else's word whether a weapon is loaded or not....

Back to the jokes folks!

^^^^

Poor taste 'joke' o_O :(
TBH It was a couple of days after that I actually knew what that was about.
Yes, every joke ever told is likely to offend someone. "We" don't see them all at the the time, and being quite a fast moving joke forum at times, things would have been forgotten or just ignored, by the members.
Sometimes people, myself included just chose to ignore these sick jokes,
And that's the best thing to do.
We all have our own moral compass. I guess it depends on who picks up the RTM
I've no idea what joke that was Roy, or who "censored" you. As above about moral compasses, but you should have received a notification about what or why ... Apologies for that
But isn't the first part of censorship "self-censorship"
Absolutely!
Jokes are often in poor taste, and that can be what makes them funny. I would suggest that the timing of posting was unfortunate, since the pain of this event is still fresh.
As above I did see the "Joke" but I had no idea what it related to, unfortunately we don't have the time to google every joke reference that is posted.
And yes I agree with your comment.

Let's not censor jokes more than absolutely necessary, and just ignore or post a sad smiley on those we dislike.
I totally agree with both of those comments.

But please everyone, continue to hit the RTM button we ( someone does) do read all reports.

Last edited:
I've no idea what joke that was Roy, or who "censored" you. As above about moral compasses, but you should have received a notification about what or why ... Apologies for that
Well, I appreciate your apology Chris, (after the fact) The 'joke' was removed and I understood there were only 3 of you (mods) now ? So, I find that strange.

Well, I appreciate your apology Chris, (after the fact) The 'joke' was removed and I understood there were only 3 of you (mods) now ? So, I find that strange.
there are 3 admin, Chris lindsay & Chris
and 4 mods Tori Mark Marc & Dod ( and a couple of errant ones)
so 7 active staff in total.
Not all show on line status

Last edited:
there are 3 admin, Chris lindsay & Chris
and 4 mods Tori Mark Marc & Dod ( and a couple of errant ones)
so 7 active staff in total.
Not all show on line status
Ah ! OK. I didn't know that.

Trouble is in reality what is acceptable changes very quickly , I used to cry laughing at Freddy Starr ,Jim Davidson ,Roy chubby brown .. these days there old jokes verge on the edge of acceptable , if your a touch sensitive never go on u.tube and search out peter cook and Dudley Moore acting as “ derek and Clive” or listen to Ian drury performing new boots and panties .
When at school in the east end many years ago everyone from various ethnic minorities had there own racially conferred nickname ,don’t think that’s allowed these days ,but does it still go on ..
If you see something that offends you ,either ignore ,walk on by , or put it at the back of your mind . Not worth getting involved as of old they often shoot the messenger

I think jokes like the op are in bad taste but IMO maybe ok as people have always "laughed" at tragedy, and it's highly unlikely that any of the people involved will be reading this thread. Hopefully, Maybe some bad taste humour is part of coping.

It was only a joke ...and aimed ( excuse the pun) at man u not the woman who got shot. .don't like it easy enough to scroll on by ....are not the najority of jokes at the expense of some unfortunate

I think jokes like the op are in bad taste but IMO maybe ok as people have always "laughed" at tragedy, and it's highly unlikely that any of the people involved will be reading this thread. Hopefully, Maybe some bad taste humour is part of coping.
If you had heard some of the humour at my father's wake on Tuesday then you would know that the last line from your post is very accurate in our case (our being his friends and family).

Plenty of bad taste but also everyone there knew the context and also knew that Dad would have been laughing loudest. BTW, none of it racially disparaging or misogynist.

If the deaths in the AB scenario had touched a family personally on this forum and they had made the members aware of that then I would have felt the reference to it was in bad taste. Given that does not appear to be the case then I personally don't have an issue with dark humour. YMMV and it appears for some it does.

Towards the end of the match on Sunday, a friend texted me to say he thought Steve Bruce was being lined up for Old Trafford, but it hadn't been decided yet, as manager or centre half

The joke in our house is that Middlesbrough could beat them. Just think about that :D

I saw the bad taste joke, then that @Box Brownie had voiced my feelings and carried on with life.
It was actually the fact that he got criticised by @jonbeeza for showing his disdain as though we aren't allowed
to voice out opinions on bad taste

I saw the bad taste joke, then that @Box Brownie had voiced my feelings and carried on with life.
It was actually the fact that he got criticised by @jonbeeza for showing his disdain as though we aren't allowed
to voice out opinions on bad taste
I don't take offence or disdain i know what one person finds offensive others find funny you can tell what side of the track I lie...I let the snowflakes of the world lie awake at night worrying about stuff like that

I don't take offence or disdain i know what one person finds offensive others find funny you can tell what side of the track I lie...I let the snowflakes of the world lie awake at night worrying about stuff like that
I found what you wrote to be in bad taste (mainly because it relates to something that recently happened) I spend a lot of time with medical staff so am well aware of the black humour that surrounds them. But I would never think to post any of their jokes on here.

As I said earlier the first part of censorship is self-censorship.

like anything else in life, it is all to do with context. You know nothing about most of the people who visit talkphotography so maybe think before you post.

This doesn't make me a snowflake. (to me it's just another lazy word for people who don't agree with your view)

Everyone has the right to an opinion but the sad change I have observed over many years, though more so in the age of the internet, is that folk will 'speak' in different ways compared to analogue times.

Such public expression online can range from trolling to name calling to perceived poor taste.

IMO and FWIW all of these ways fall into the way civil society has in this online age fallen by the wayside.

The motto at my secondary school was "Manners maketh Man", perhaps put more simply 'one should treat others as you would expect to be treated'. Personally I have tried to live by that mantra.......and it is not easy :banghead:

Lastly, I have always considered engaged discussion as paramount but there is one member I have "ignored" and for the record....... rest easy everyone in this thread it is not you :sneaky:. That member outraged me with their attitudes and rather see the posts and have to "walk by", I clicked 'ignore'.

Last edited:
Whilst on the subject of (in)appropriate jokes I do find some of the stuff in the Funnies thread almost misogynistic.

What you posted was a woman in what might well have been non-consensual bondage, I don't care where you got it from it was truly sick. How you failed to see that yourself and felt it appropriate for a photography forum is beyond me. I did take it down quietly and sent you PM as to why, you then reposted it.

almost misogynistic.
Almost? I'm appalled by much of it but you can only move the dial so far in one go. We have moved the really vile stuff into a NSFW thread in hot topics but why people ever think posting some of that stuff is OK, I have no idea.

It was only a joke ...and aimed ( excuse the pun) at man u not the woman who got shot. .don't like it easy enough to scroll on by ....are not the najority of jokes at the expense of some unfortunate
It was only a joke, and I'm no snowflake, but if it had been posted in a WhatsApp group between friends that would possibly be viewed differently from posting in a public forum.

I too would not call myself a snowflake. But the thing is, anyone can read this open forum, even children. A very young relative, was going through some problems at school. When we got to the bottom of it, it turned out to be a name calling issue. The children who were doing the bullying, said they were only joking, with their name calling. They obviously learned the name calling from somewhere. As adults, we should be doing a little better. ;)

Whilst on the subject of (in)appropriate jokes I do find some of the stuff in the Funnies thread almost misogynistic.

Being female, I plead guilty to posting many of such jokes, it's not something that upsets me in the least,.
Yes some are a bit OTT but those I tend to just ignore
As I said what I don't like is someone being criticised for voicing their opinion, it happens a lot in other sections
of the forum if you happen to disagree with certain people, but the joke section is supposed to a light hearted fun place

What you posted was a woman in what might well have been non-consensual bondage, I don't care where you got it from it was truly sick. How you failed to see that yourself and felt it appropriate for a photography forum is beyond me. I did take it down quietly and sent you PM as to why, you then reposted it.
" it was truly sick "
In your opinion. No-one complained on the forum I saw it on.
'Swiss Army Wife' was so obviously not representative of anyone's view of women, it was a joke for goodness sake.
As for reposting ? As I told you at the time (which you never acknowledged) I immediately returned to the post to check spelling, as I always do. Couldn't see the post, assumed I never hit 'Post' (a known error of mine) so reposted.
At that time I had no correspondence from you.

Last edited:
As I said what I don't like is someone being criticised for voicing their opinion, it happens a lot in other sections
of the forum if you happen to disagree with certain people,
Are you suggesting that if I disagree with as someone's opinion I shouldn't challenge it?

Are you suggesting that if I disagree with as someone's opinion I shouldn't challenge it?

No, but the jokes is supposed to be just that, perhaps commenting should be turned off, just allow the various likes
as often things are derailed by endless comments when someone does disagree ?
As far as other forums are concerned, they are discussion forums so yes disagree, what I hate about some of the people in those forums is the fact that certain people do seem to gang up on others that do disagree.

Some people don't realise that one man's joke is another woman's taunt.

In my opinion, the only decent response to someone complaining about a joke is to apologise to them. I regard saying "it was just a joke" as a form of bullying.

Some people don't realise that one man's joke is another woman's taunt.

In my opinion, the only decent response to someone complaining about a joke is to apologise to them. I regard saying "it was just a joke" as a form of bullying.
I too have had that response.

I too have had that response.
...and on some occasions I have given that response.

As Walt Whitman put it,,,
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Back