In Video mode Does shutter speed on a DSLR really matter?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
When I do video on my D3300 I just leave it on Aperture Priority, and let the camera choose the shutter speed. I have tried it in manual mode and chosen various shutter speeds, but not noticed any difference when doing video of the family and general stuff. I know there may be some issues when videoing something like a helicopter rotor blades, or car wheels turning etc. But general day to day stuff, will there be much of a noticeable difference? As I say, I have not noticed any.

I was wondering if I would get any replies.

Now that I have got the title sorted, just need a reply about shutter speed in video mode. :D

just need a reply about shutter speed in video mode.

Since I don't do videos, I could only make assumptions
bases on logic and not on experience. You better be pa-
tient… someone will pop in! :D

Shutter speed will determine motion blur per frame.
For normal looking motion blur in 24fps, aim for about 1/60s ss and for 60fps aim for around 1/125s
Just testing now in aperture priority and I am on 24fps and shutter speed is only at 1/6 . Got the missus to waive her hand while I videoed her, no motion blur at this slow speed.

For a cinematic look go for shutter speed 2x FPS as above. Google 180 degree rule to learn more about the reasons why. Have fun :)

For a cinematic look go for shutter speed 2x FPS as above. Google 180 degree rule to learn more about the reasons why. Have fun :)
yes I know 24fps is supposed to give more of a movie look. But I was wondering if there was a real need to alter the shutter speed?

PS

Although not sure I want the movie look for videos of the family, I think I would prefer the lifelike look.

Last edited:
1/60s and 24fps should look sufficiently natural.
Just done a video test of the missus moving around, in aperture priority at 24pfs and shutter speed of 1/3, then another in manual mode 24pfs and a shutter of 1/60. On the camera and computer, video looks very similar, I can't pick out which is which. I really can't notice any difference, or maybe it is down to the shutter being electronic when in video mode and not proper shutter actuation's. :thinking:

PAL (UK tv standard) is 25fps, so you should be shooting in that unless you are shooting for cinema.
Your shutter speed does matter in video, you still need to get the exposure right. You still need to have a shutter speed at least 2x the frame rate and at least the reciprocal of the focal length (just like with photos), to reduce the change of camera shake being evident if hand held. So if you are shooting with a 50mm lens, you need to be at a frame rate of a least 1/50th if not more.
If you have a shutter speed lower than twice the fps, you are likely to see problems.
A decent explanation here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB21OGR8DSo

PAL (UK tv standard) is 25fps, so you should be shooting in that unless you are shooting for cinema.
Your shutter speed does matter in video, you still need to get the exposure right. You still need to have a shutter speed at least 2x the frame rate and at least the reciprocal of the focal length (just like with photos), to reduce the change of camera shake being evident if hand held. So if you are shooting with a 50mm lens, you need to be at a frame rate of a least 1/50th if not more.
If you have a shutter speed lower than twice the fps, you are likely to see problems.

Yes in PAL mode, and I am using the kit lens set at 18mm. Exposure looks OK to be honest, obviously I am still experimenting.

75 on crop maybe for a 50?

Just done a video test of the missus moving around, in aperture priority at 24pfs and shutter speed of 1/3, then another in manual mode 24pfs and a shutter of 1/60. On the camera and computer, video looks very similar, I can't pick out which is which. I really can't notice any difference, or maybe it is down to the shutter being electronic when in video mode and not proper shutter actuation's. :thinking:
It would need to be very fast kocement to cause motion blur...

It would need to be very fast kocement to cause motion blur...
Fast movement.

So for general video settings may be less important? I did a video a year or two back of a helicopter, and rotors seemed to be spinning the opposite way. Maybe the shutter speed was too slow for that instance. :thinking:

Anyway, still testing things...

For me I find using manual mode for video works best just as it does for stills.

I'm not familiar with Nikon but why not switch to shutter priority and select 1/50 of a second this is usually sufficient for a lot of scenarios, and as said gives a cinematic feel to your videos.

Last edited:
For me I find using manual mode for video works best just as it does for stills.

I'm not familiar with Nikon but why not switch to shutter priority and select 1/50 of a second this is usually sufficient for a lot of scenarios, and as said gives a cinematic feel to your videos.
I have not noticed any difference to the video, when changing shutter speed. I am mainly doing video of the family and pets etc, I want a realistic look not the Cinema look. :)

Depends a bit on what you’re filming whether you see a big difference with shutter speed or not. For a scene with little movement it may not be noticeable. Once things start to move then you should see a more realistic look with shutter speed 2x your frame rate, eg 1/50 and 25fps.

Sorry John… I didn't pay attention to that! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am the same.. my bookmark is to latest post so I ahve a long list of subjects and i click on anything that interests me.... people not being descriptive enough means you ahve to then investigate where they posted it...

dont you just love the "help wanted" and "equipment for sale" and other subjects that dont help :)

Depends a bit on what you’re filming whether you see a big difference with shutter speed or not. For a scene with little movement it may not be noticeable. Once things start to move then you should see a more realistic look with shutter speed 2x your frame rate, eg 1/50 and 25fps.
Thanks for that, I am still testing to see what gives the best results for me. :)

Try 1/120th at 60fps

Shutter speed is a compromise between motion blur and jerky motion.

The 50% rule is a good compromise, but isn't always necessary.

Choose your frame rate, 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94, then experiment with shutter speed.

PAL is an analogue colour encoding, it had nothing to do with frame rate (Brazil was PAL at 59.94).

Fast movement.

So for general video settings may be less important? I did a video a year or two back of a helicopter, and rotors seemed to be spinning the opposite way. Maybe the shutter speed was too slow for that instance. :thinking:

Anyway, still testing things...
No, the blades are rotating slightly less than 360 degrees each frame so it appears to go backwards. If you revved up the engine a bit they would appear to change direction.

Don't use 59.94 or 29.97 in Europe. Any artificial light will strobe. See the Malaga video posted recently for what this causes.

For general everyday use which is what the op asked for 1/120th or even 1/100th at 60fps would be fine.

No, the blades are rotating slightly less than 360 degrees each frame so it appears to go backwards. If you revved up the engine a bit they would appear to change direction.
Yes I have experienced that in some situations.

Don't use 59.94 or 29.97 in Europe. Any artificial light will strobe. See the Malaga video posted recently for what this causes.
I have noticed video can strobe while in the kitchen, must the florescent light tube possibly.

Only a maximum of 50fps on UK cameras I think. :thinking:
Most UK-sold cameras are set to PAL video standards so will have 24fps (for cinema look), 25fps (PAL TV) and 50fps. If you switch the camera into NTSC mode, you'll get 24fps, 30fps and 60fps. Some cameras (Canon 1DX Mk2, Nikon D850 for example) will offer 120fps, but not so many.

Back